Thank god for the British Empire

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mayormoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#201 mayormoose
Member since 2007 • 836 Posts

All I can say is thank god for the British Empire. I loved how they forced everyone from every country they conquered to learn English. It's great knowing that almost every country on earth has a little bit of English spoken in it. I go to India they speak English, I go to China they speak a little bit of English, I go to Australia they speak English, I go to Canada they speak English, I can even head over to random countries and they probably speak English. Thank the old British government for taking over a good sized country in just about every continent except S. America.

Point of this thread, we should all thank the Great British Empire for spreading the English language all over the world!

CruxisXIII

So you are proud because your nation is oppressive?

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 SIapshot
Member since 2002 • 8044 Posts

[QUOTE="SIapshot"][QUOTE="leviathan91"] the British did introduce new and better technology and eliminated Sati, a practice in which the wife of a deceased husband had to jump into a fire. leviathan91

How completely uncivilized and barbaric of those people.

It was the social, yet barbaric norm at the time but the Indians are far from uncivilized. Excuse me if I'm wrong but the people of India did create a great civilization with rich history until the Muslims took control.

Every single human endeavor is considered "rich history" by those who study it. A great civilization with "rich" history is no less barbaric and uncivilized than any other civilization that forced people to jump into fires or burned witches at the stake.
SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 SIapshot
[QUOTE="CruxisXIII"]

All I can say is thank god for the British Empire. I loved how they forced everyone from every country they conquered to learn English. It's great knowing that almost every country on earth has a little bit of English spoken in it. I go to India they speak English, I go to China they speak a little bit of English, I go to Australia they speak English, I go to Canada they speak English, I can even head over to random countries and they probably speak English. Thank the old British government for taking over a good sized country in just about every continent except S. America.

Point of this thread, we should all thank the Great British Empire for spreading the English language all over the world!

mayormoose

Oppressive is such a PC term, Name one single culture that didn't oppress somebody at sometime. Like it's such a crime that Europeans just did it better than everybody else. I'm of Irish descent, and I don't expect apologies, much less reperations from the British government. In fact, my people found it within themselves to work harder and make better lives for themselves in SPITE of their oppression.

Unlike some people today, who use their oppression as a crutch, an excuse for failure, a "reason" for acting out. Give me a break, there will be no sympathy here.

agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#204 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
The British Empire was one of the most oppressive empires ever to exist. The so called "civilized" nations or empires engage in the most wide scale barbaric activity compared to savage "uncivilized" people.
brownthrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#205 brownthrilla
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts
Well they could also made the English language international that will force every country to learn it instead of going around killing billions across the world at that time.TehFuneral
Agreed
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
Yay tea and crumpets!
Nills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#207 Nills
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Oh, I thought this would be something like: "Britain is the greatest, America and all other countries suck!" But im glad it didn't.

But yeah, thanks i guess.

Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts
Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.
kingyotoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#209 kingyotoX
Member since 2007 • 2689 Posts

English was the empire's greatest export.

RKfromDownunder

i think it was opium.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#210 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Ish"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

And I'm not saying it does have an official religion. But it's 97% Christian.

Funky_Llama

Still incorrect, and I don't see why you should dislike a religion.

It is! Perhaps it's not exactly 97% Christian, but that's about right. And I dislike it because I think it's dangerous and irrational.

Thats dangerous and irrational thinking.

Nowhere near 97%. Majority, yes, but not even 90%.

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
The British Empire is long gone. what's the point of discussing this?
Phenom316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Phenom316
Member since 2008 • 1650 Posts

CruxisXIII
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="The_Ish"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

And I'm not saying it does have an official religion. But it's 97% Christian.

The_Ish

Still incorrect, and I don't see why you should dislike a religion.

It is! Perhaps it's not exactly 97% Christian, but that's about right. And I dislike it because I think it's dangerous and irrational.

Thats dangerous and irrational thinking.

Nowhere near 97%. Majority, yes, but not even 90%.

Pfft. I've seen two statistics that place it around that. Anyway, it wouldn't be 'dangerous and irrational thinking'. It would just be wrong.

[QUOTE="mayormoose"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"]

SIapshot

Oppressive is such a PC term, Name one single culture that didn't oppress somebody at sometime. Like it's such a crime that Europeans just did it better than everybody else. I'm of Irish descent, and I don't expect apologies, much less reperations from the British government. In fact, my people found it within themselves to work harder and make better lives for themselves in SPITE of their oppression.

Unlike some people today, who use their oppression as a crutch, an excuse for failure, a "reason" for acting out. Give me a break, there will be no sympathy here.

OK, so every country's oppressive. Doesn't make it any better.

SIapshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 SIapshot
Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.Needles-Kane
So true... :)
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Needles-Kane"]Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.SIapshot

I don't see how you could predict how (today's) third-world countries would have advanced without Western oppression.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

[QUOTE="SIapshot"][QUOTE="Needles-Kane"]Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.Funky_Llama

I don't see how you could predict how (today's) third-world countries would have advanced without Western oppression.

Africa, South America and the middle east showed no signs of progress whatsoever. And western influence is the only reason why nations such as China and India are able to compete in today's global economy.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="SIapshot"][QUOTE="Needles-Kane"]Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.jointed

Africa, South America and the middle east showed no signs of progress whatsoever. And western influence is the only reason why nations such as China and India are able to compete in today's global economy.

Yes, let's completely ignore the contributions of, for example, Muslim matheticians, and the numerous inventions that China had centuries before the West.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="SIapshot"][QUOTE="Needles-Kane"]Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.Funky_Llama

Yes, let's completely ignore the contributions of, for example, Muslim matheticians, and the numerous inventions that China had centuries before the West.

I'm not talking about ancient inventions here. I'm talking about how the societies were developing around the time of western contact and influence.

1mpaler-w6rbnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 1mpaler-w6rbnd
Member since 2008 • 1992 Posts
ARRIBA!
Weredawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Weredawg
Member since 2003 • 90 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="SIapshot"][QUOTE="Needles-Kane"]Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.jointed

I'm not talking about ancient inventions here. I'm talking about how the societies were developing around the time of western contact and influence.

Funky Lama has a point. Eastern culture has had an effect on Western and vice versa. And have you been to Africa, S. America or the Middle East? That you would say that those countries have shown no signs of progress just reveals your ignorance.

Weredawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Weredawg
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

Funky Lama has a point. Eastern culture has had an effect on Western and vice versa. And have you been to Africa, S. America or the Middle East? That you would say that those countries have shown no signs of progress just reveals your ignorance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="SIapshot"][QUOTE="Needles-Kane"]Yes, I am very thankful for them. I am also very thankful for the rest of Europe and the U.S. Without them, the entire world would be unmodernized, primative third world-like.Weredawg

I suggest you read and understand what I'm trying to say before you type next time. Cheers...

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Weredawg"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

I suggest you read and understand what I'm trying to say before you type next time. Cheers...

But you're deliberatly excluding the example I gave. You said that their societies didn't advance at all. They did. You can't just say, 'No, I didn't mean that!'. Stop trying to wiggle out of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Weredawg"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

But you're deliberatly excluding the example I gave. You said that their societies didn't advance at all. They did. You can't just say, 'No, I didn't mean that!'. Stop trying to wiggle out of it.

Hah, I'm not trying to wiggle out of anything. The mentioned regions' societal development had stagnated when the western powers reached them and, as I said before, showed no sign of progress. This leads me to believe that their societies wouldn't be nearly as developed if western nations had not reached them. A basic understanding of the European industrial revolutions of the 18th and 19th centuries is especially significant when discussing this subject.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#225 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
God Save The Queen indeed!
Grouchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#226 Grouchu
Member since 2003 • 7118 Posts
I won't thank them. "Colour" and "favourite" and words like those. Horrible.
Weredawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Weredawg

@ Jointed

But you are wriggling out of the point. Just because those countries did not Industrialise like the others did does not mean they did not progress BUT they naturally would not have advanced as fast if it were not for western influence, but the cost has been too great. Lives, dignity and culture have all suffered at the hands of colonialisation.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Funky_Llama

I won't thank them. "Colour" and "favourite" and words like those. Horrible.Grouchu

Ah, so you favour US English. :P

soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

I won't thank them. "Colour" and "favourite" and words like those. Horrible.Grouchu

Those english & their english language hey ...:|

AS-All-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 AS-All-Star
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts

YAY! Go Great Britain! Awesomeness embodied.

However,as some have said, we did make some errors, so just on a personal level I would just like to apologise for Jade Goodie, Heather Mills and maybe Robert Mugabe (in that order)... I hop you can forgive us... :(