Teen Who Killed Four People Got Off Because He's Rich

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by loco145 (11959 posts) -

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - A teenager who killed four people while driving drunk has been sentenced to probation.

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences. Prosecutors were pushing for 16-year-old Ethan Couch to spend 20 years in prison.

There was no debate about who was behind the wheel last June, when Couch plowed into and killed four people. Couch has admitted to being the driver, and court records show his blood alcohol level was .24 at the time of the crash, three times the legal limit for an adult. Prosecutors also presented evidence that Couch and some friends stole beer from a Burleson Walmart on June 15, the night of the crash. After consuming the alcohol, Couch and seven others got back into his pickup to go to another store. During the trip, he hit four pedestrians, killing them. Two teens riding in Couch’s pickup were thrown from the truck and severely injured.

Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year.

The victim’s family members began crying in court when the sentence was announced Tuesday evening.

Source.

#2 Posted by Master_Live (18821 posts) -

But that's because rich people are better people.

#4 Posted by Ugalde- (3711 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

But that's because rich people are better people.

This.

#5 Posted by k--m--k (2546 posts) -

Meh, real life.

#6 Posted by Makhaidos (2162 posts) -

@loco145 said:

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences.

Well, this'll sure show him how wrong that is.

#7 Edited by JML897 (33134 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@loco145 said:

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences.

Well, this'll sure show him how wrong that is.

Hah, I was thinking the same thing.

#8 Edited by Masculus (2878 posts) -

Time for the deceased's families to take matters on their own hand.

#9 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

What type of facility offers treatment at $450k annually? Disney world doesn't even charge that.

Good thing he wasn't black or he would of gotten man slaughter.

#10 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -

Next time he goes on a killing spree he'll be a product of the justice system!

#11 Edited by k--m--k (2546 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

if i was Rich. i do everything to protect poors.

that why you aren't rich now.

#12 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

This is just confusing

#13 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15363 posts) -

It looks like the victim's families have already filed wrongful death lawsuits against the driver.

#14 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

It looks like the victim's families have already filed wrongful death lawsuits against the driver.

I'd expect they'd win that, since he admitted to the crime

#15 Posted by comp_atkins (34678 posts) -

jfc... this can't be real.

#16 Edited by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

This is infuriating...unbelievable. I'm not someone who think vigilante justice is ok..even in messed up cases...this one is beyond crazy though.

#17 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

See the criminal justice system is corrupt and run by criminals since it is called the Criminal justice system. If you want justice, do it yourself!

#18 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@ultimate-k said:

See the criminal justice system is corrupt and run by criminals since it is called the Criminal justice system. If you want justice, do it yourself!

shut up

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#19 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

This is what happens when right wingers are in charge.

#20 Posted by WTFr0b0ts (70 posts) -

@ultimate-k said:

Does that mean the Civil Justice system is run by...uh...civils?

Anyway, he has probation with mandatory therapy for 10 years. Ideally (especially the juvenile system) punishments are meant to rehabilitate. If this kid messes up even once he gets thrown in jail. It seems it was the judge trying to keep him under the law longer because a juvenile prison sentence would have been shorter and couldn't come with the same restraints as his probation.

#21 Posted by Master_Live (18821 posts) -

@WTFr0b0ts said:

@ultimate-k said:

If this kid messes up even once he gets thrown in jail.

Why should we wait for him to mess up again? Is the bar set at 8 people killed?

#22 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@WTFr0b0ts said:

@ultimate-k said:

The bar is 100 deaths, 50 comas, 25 injuries, and 10 cases of people vomiting at the scene.

#23 Posted by one_plum (6514 posts) -

If the argument was that his parents failed to raise the child then the parents shouldn't walk away scot-free.

Verdict beyond moronic.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
#24 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12217 posts) -

Batman, where art thou?

#25 Edited by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

That teenager needs treatment and if he will not be punished then his parents should be.

#26 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5011 posts) -

I wonder how much money the judge got for that verdict.

#27 Posted by WTFr0b0ts (70 posts) -
@CJL13 said:

@Master_Live said:

@WTFr0b0ts said:

@ultimate-k said:

The bar is 100 deaths, 50 comas, 25 injuries, and 10 cases of people vomiting at the scene.

I wasn't saying I agree just what the judge probably thought. Anyway it's better he's off the streets, he wasn't released to his parents and will be in some swanky rehab facility for 10 years, but that is the part that really offends me. He should have gone to wherever they usually send people, not just the place people can afford.

#28 Posted by Treflis (13402 posts) -

That judge must've taken a bribe.

#29 Edited by xdude85 (6346 posts) -

Money trumping human life? Nothing new here.

#30 Posted by thegerg (18397 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse: She got the same as she would have gotten for a "not guilty" verdict.

#31 Posted by foxhound_fox (96996 posts) -

People get off lightly all the time for driving drunk and killing people. Sentences rarely exceed 10 years in Canada or the US. Any instance of drunk driving causing death should be treated as second-degree murder and receive a maximum sentence.

There is absolutely no excuse for doing it. Period. It is a conscious choice to drink beyond the legal limit and then get behind the wheel of a car. No amount of stupidity, lack of knowledge or "affluenza" will make me any less disgusted by those who do it.

#32 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

"Affluenza"

jaysus

fucking

christ

#33 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1901 posts) -

This is my first time hearing "affluenza".

#35 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Yeah, the kid needs treatment. Needs to be treated to the rest of his worthless fucking ilfe in prison, like the sub-human sack of shit that he is. I hope a family member of one of the victims murders him.

#36 Edited by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

The judge must've been bribed...that's the common thing rich people do.

#37 Posted by Barbariser (6785 posts) -

Hahaha this is amazing. Now there's a precedent for people getting off crimes because of the way you were raised.

#38 Edited by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -

is Ethan Couch rich and black? ... like bow wow and timberland's son ? .... who can afford a lavish "My super sweet sixteen" party?

#39 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (467 posts) -

#40 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (25057 posts) -

Haaaa, nice Onion arti-wait, what?

#41 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

make the parents do time, actually, **** them all.send em all to jail.

#42 Posted by Nuck81 (6979 posts) -

@Barbariser said:

Hahaha this is amazing. Now there's a precedent for people getting off crimes because of the way you were raised.

That's kinda why people are getting pissed.

It's a get out of jail free card for every rich, prostitute slaying, coke snorting, douche

#43 Posted by -Rhett81- (3569 posts) -

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/142925215.html

Exact same judge. The difference? The kid was black and not rich.

#44 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5895 posts) -

By that logic, sure, give the guy probation - but lock up his parents...

#45 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Murica

#46 Posted by Sword-Demon (7007 posts) -

"Oh, you grew up thinking that being wealthy means there are no consequences to your actions? You poor thing.. I'll show you the error of your ways by removing all consequences to your actions"

That's seriously f***ed up. You want to treat him to show him that actions have consequences? Why not show him by example? Experience is the best teacher.

#47 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

Pretty embarrassing verdict. Like from a moral standpoint, how can someone get off with probation with admitting to running over 4 pedestrians? I also heard on the news one of his drunk friends in the back of the pickup truck can't move or talk because of the crash as well. Pretty nasty story, and it's a shame justice wasn't served

#48 Edited by plageus900 (2434 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

This is what happens when right wingers are in charge.

Weird. I know a lot of insane right-wingers that wouldn't have thought twice about sending him to the electric chair.

#49 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

Somehow I doubt the judge would let off a poor kid for saying 'my parent's didn't raise me right'. Absolutely despicable.

#50 Edited by TheHighWind (5391 posts) -

This obviously didn't happen in Texas.