Teen suicide rate increasing Seriously?

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

not enough kids getting help, or are taking things too seriously. and how on earth did she get hold of a gun. o.0'

sAndroid17

In America?

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

I am really surprised this thread is still here....

seriously are you joking punch people in the face? Have you even been bullied before? What about cyber bullying which is growing and growing wite sites like youtube basically encouraging it...

Konekomaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Konekomaru
Member since 2011 • 343 Posts

okay

let's face it.

NOBODY cares.

djedi_master

Aaaaaaaand wrong.

The thread full of people discussing the issue should have tipped you off.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"] your experience doesn't necessarily reflect the experience of these teenagers that kill themseves. If you read about these suicides a recurring theme is bullying, which usually just amounts to some kid calling other kids names, or physical violence. Whatever it is, more often then not suicide is not the rational course of action by any stretch of the imagination. Teenagers are known for making bad decisions that lead to their deaths, and teen suicide is no different. They haven't even lived long enough to fully comprehend the scope of life, yet they already make decisions to end it. None of those situations of typical teen suicide victims you described couldn't be easily solved by contacting the right people, AVOIDING the wrong people, or just simply getting over it. You cannot have a more final solution then suicide, so why apply it to such temporary problems?

Aaaaand your point is? Nowhere did I say my life experience is everybody's. People who commit suicide don't go "Boo hoo, Johnny said I'm stupid, I'm going to go hang myself". Anyone with half a brain can figure out that you have to be hurting pretty badly to consider suicide, many people even contemplate it for years and years before actually doing that. Killing yourself is always a bad thing. There's nothing peachy about suicide, in teenager or adults. But people who do try to kill themselves don't feel like they have any other options and certainly don't have any other way out. Nobody ever lives long enough to truly grasp the 'scope of life', but think about it, really; if you spent your WHOLE young life being tormented in some way or another, do you really wanna live for another 60 years of what you predict to be the same crap? It may not be true that they'll be bullied until the day they die, but they may still be isolated and not have anyone to turn to for support. You're not getting that people who want to kill themselves don't have a positive outlook on the future, or they wouldn't be considering suicide in the first place. As for "contacting the right people/avoiding the wrong people/getting over it".... excuse me? Really? People who are deeply depressed and considering suicide are not generally people who have a good support system of good people around them. Many have tons of bad influences in their lives that they can't rid themselves of. People who have access to a good support system usually get help and feel better, and therefore don't end up killing themselves, so they're removed from the picture entirely. Those that don't are the only ones left. And getting over it? Deal with depression for 8 or 10 solid years, then get back to me. You're not sad because the cake you were baking went flat, you're DEPRESSED. Problems are not temporary to depressed people, there's no silver lining or light at the end of the tunnel. I don't understand why that's so difficult for some people to grasp. It's a permanent solution because that's what they want. They want to stop hurting permanently. Look at it from the inside out, what may be a temporary problem to a 'normal' person isn't to somebody who's suffering chronic depression.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#105 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I personally am excited for death, I would neverk ill myself though I love life too much.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

I want to have a conversation with all these "depressed" teens. My school doesn't have em. I just don't let comments affect me (really) and I continue living. I just watched CSI and they had a bunch of cheerleaders "e-bullying" another girl and she killed herself (i think...) I told my mom "I would really like to visit a school like this, because I don't think that they actually exist." People just make a big deal out of nothing.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

A person isn't going to kill himself/herself simply because someone else said a rude word or because they didn't get the phone they wanted. Perhaps there will be an issue like that which will send someone over the edge, but it's because there's something a lot deeper behind it. If someone is very self-loathing and believes bad things about himself/herself and someone else insults that person, it just validates their already-negative opinion of himself/herself.

Suicide is a very complex and serious issue. It should not be belittled. I am not someone who condemns suicide because I believe that it is your life and your choice, but I also will not encourage it and think that we should do all we can to make it easier so people can seek help if they want it. There's a lot of shame in seeking help, and if that were reduced, perhaps suicide rates would reduce. Most people don't actually want to end their lives - they just want the bad things or feelings to cease, but it's a lot harder to work on that.

t3hrubikscube

Thank you, finally a response that is senseable, and true. Its sad that so many people seriously think people should off themselves. Seriously, 4 pages to finally get a normal response. On tpic, i agree with you,t3hrubikscube.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I want to have a conversation with all these "depressed" teens. My school doesn't have em. I just don't let comments affect me (really) and I continue living. I just watched CSI and they had a bunch of cheerleaders "e-bullying" another girl and she killed herself (i think...) I told my mom "I would really like to visit a school like this, because I don't think that they actually exist." People just make a big deal out of nothing.

taylor888

I'm sure there are a bunch in your school, you just dont notice them, every school has them. Hell I'm friends with some of them, I hate them though who are they to be depressed? they live such good lives.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

not enough kids getting help, or are taking things too seriously. and how on earth did she get hold of a gun. o.0'

sAndroid17

I don't think you know how america works :P

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Welcome to the world,

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

What I think is the problem is that this generation has nothing to believe in. There is no unifying social movement that we can all relate to, such as a massive war (yes in the middle east, but not near the scale of WW2, Vietnam, etc.) or cultural movement. Some may disagree, but I think this creates a feeling of, or lack thereof, a belonging to something greater than themselves. With no purpose unifying the youth, high school is the center of their world, and when things go wrong there, it feels like the world is falling apart. MAybe it's just me though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]

A person isn't going to kill himself/herself simply because someone else said a rude word or because they didn't get the phone they wanted. Perhaps there will be an issue like that which will send someone over the edge, but it's because there's something a lot deeper behind it. If someone is very self-loathing and believes bad things about himself/herself and someone else insults that person, it just validates their already-negative opinion of himself/herself.

Suicide is a very complex and serious issue. It should not be belittled. I am not someone who condemns suicide because I believe that it is your life and your choice, but I also will not encourage it and think that we should do all we can to make it easier so people can seek help if they want it. There's a lot of shame in seeking help, and if that were reduced, perhaps suicide rates would reduce. Most people don't actually want to end their lives - they just want the bad things or feelings to cease, but it's a lot harder to work on that.

Bardock47

Thank you, finally a response that is senseable, and true. Its sad that so many people seriously think people should off themselves. Seriously, 4 pages to finally get a normal response. On tpic, i agree with you,t3hrubikscube.

And thank you! :]

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#113 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Anti depressants might be a cause too. Like 1 out of 20 people takes those these days. That's not an exaggeration.
And lack of purpose, yes. Few schools where I live, ask their pupils what they believe in, and what they want to achieve in life. And what is valuable in life, and worth living for. They forget that, if you want to be molded into a good employee/subordinate, you do need to be alive to function. A job is not fulfilling, it's just a necessity to many of us. You could say that that isn't the schools job, but do you really believe that children want to think about those things when having spend hours at school? No, if they make children spend all their attention for learning at school, I see that as a responsibility of school.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"] your experience doesn't necessarily reflect the experience of these teenagers that kill themseves. If you read about these suicides a recurring theme is bullying, which usually just amounts to some kid calling other kids names, or physical violence. Whatever it is, more often then not suicide is not the rational course of action by any stretch of the imagination. Teenagers are known for making bad decisions that lead to their deaths, and teen suicide is no different. They haven't even lived long enough to fully comprehend the scope of life, yet they already make decisions to end it. None of those situations of typical teen suicide victims you described couldn't be easily solved by contacting the right people, AVOIDING the wrong people, or just simply getting over it. You cannot have a more final solution then suicide, so why apply it to such temporary problems?XilePrincess
Aaaaand your point is? Nowhere did I say my life experience is everybody's. People who commit suicide don't go "Boo hoo, Johnny said I'm stupid, I'm going to go hang myself". Anyone with half a brain can figure out that you have to be hurting pretty badly to consider suicide, many people even contemplate it for years and years before actually doing that. Killing yourself is always a bad thing. There's nothing peachy about suicide, in teenager or adults. But people who do try to kill themselves don't feel like they have any other options and certainly don't have any other way out. Nobody ever lives long enough to truly grasp the 'scope of life', but think about it, really; if you spent your WHOLE young life being tormented in some way or another, do you really wanna live for another 60 years of what you predict to be the same crap? It may not be true that they'll be bullied until the day they die, but they may still be isolated and not have anyone to turn to for support. You're not getting that people who want to kill themselves don't have a positive outlook on the future, or they wouldn't be considering suicide in the first place. As for "contacting the right people/avoiding the wrong people/getting over it".... excuse me? Really? People who are deeply depressed and considering suicide are not generally people who have a good support system of good people around them. Many have tons of bad influences in their lives that they can't rid themselves of. People who have access to a good support system usually get help and feel better, and therefore don't end up killing themselves, so they're removed from the picture entirely. Those that don't are the only ones left. And getting over it? Deal with depression for 8 or 10 solid years, then get back to me. You're not sad because the cake you were baking went flat, you're DEPRESSED. Problems are not temporary to depressed people, there's no silver lining or light at the end of the tunnel. I don't understand why that's so difficult for some people to grasp. It's a permanent solution because that's what they want. They want to stop hurting permanently. Look at it from the inside out, what may be a temporary problem to a 'normal' person isn't to somebody who's suffering chronic depression.

However do not ignore the opposite end of the spectrum. Some of us were tormented both at school and at home, and dealt some pretty harsh situations even as an adult, as refuse to drop to even one knee. Does that mean we are superior? No. We also have empathy for the plight, but we will not have empathy for suicide if we ourselves always percieved as both a defeat and the ultimate weakness. This does not always have to do with, asking something higher to lend strength. I know three possible suicidal teens, and I chat it up with them and slowly I get them to talk and to also feel about how things can be better, and future oppurtunity. However, if one day they decide to take their own lives, I do not see myself having any feelings on it. To me, I cannot have empathy towards depression. I have a basic form of respect for my species, but if someone cannot take my hand to stand up then they can remain where they are. Growing up on the isolation of a deep country farm, I would have loved to have "anyone" outside of my family to interact with. Hell, I would have loved to of had the internet. Even this place, gamespot, would have sufficed as a worthy diversion and social interaction until I could move away and on with my life. Yet that is why if someone does wish to kill themselves, if they are to that point and refuse help, then let them. I derive no joy from it, but at the same time it is death. We all die. It happens. So many brutal and sadistic ways someone can die in sheer physical pain, if someone does not want to let life kill them but instead their own hand, then let them. People DIE all the time. Someone killing themselves is just another end. Offer a helping hand to your fellow man if you have the chance, but the only tragic part of suicide is that it does seem apparent that people also are using suicide to HURT everyone else near/involved in their lives. Share the pain. Poor as hell to use your life as a WMD just because you want someone to understand.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts

Kids don't know what hardship is these days. They get rejected by a girl and suddenly life is the worst thing ever. Get over it, get some pills, whatever. A few years later it will just be a joke to you. If they're dealing with crippling depression each and every day, then yeah, I can understand why they might be led to suicide. Melodrama isn't a legitimate reason, however.

This is coming from somebody that is, or was, suicidal. I was bullied to the point that I didn't even want to leave my house anymore and I spent a year of my life locked inside my room, leaving the house maybe once every 3-6 months. I pretty much went insane. No joke. I'm still plagued with problems from back then on-top of recent health issues. I've tried seeing a psychiatrist multiple times but it did next to nothing. Clinical depression, severe anxiety, and terrible health is awesome. Who knows what else I'll be diagnosed with next.

So yeah, seeing all these teenagers incessantly whining about how they want to die because their girlfriend dumped them makes me a little upset.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"] your experience doesn't necessarily reflect the experience of these teenagers that kill themseves. If you read about these suicides a recurring theme is bullying, which usually just amounts to some kid calling other kids names, or physical violence. Whatever it is, more often then not suicide is not the rational course of action by any stretch of the imagination. Teenagers are known for making bad decisions that lead to their deaths, and teen suicide is no different. They haven't even lived long enough to fully comprehend the scope of life, yet they already make decisions to end it. None of those situations of typical teen suicide victims you described couldn't be easily solved by contacting the right people, AVOIDING the wrong people, or just simply getting over it. You cannot have a more final solution then suicide, so why apply it to such temporary problems?CreasianDevaili

However do not ignore the opposite end of the spectrum. Some of us were tormented both at school and at home, and dealt some pretty harsh situations even as an adult, as refuse to drop to even one knee. Does that mean we are superior? No. We also have empathy for the plight, but we will not have empathy for suicide if we ourselves always percieved as both a defeat and the ultimate weakness. This does not always have to do with, asking something higher to lend strength. I know three possible suicidal teens, and I chat it up with them and slowly I get them to talk and to also feel about how things can be better, and future oppurtunity. However, if one day they decide to take their own lives, I do not see myself having any feelings on it. To me, I cannot have empathy towards depression. I have a basic form of respect for my species, but if someone cannot take my hand to stand up then they can remain where they are. Growing up on the isolation of a deep country farm, I would have loved to have "anyone" outside of my family to interact with. Hell, I would have loved to of had the internet. Even this place, gamespot, would have sufficed as a worthy diversion and social interaction until I could move away and on with my life. Yet that is why if someone does wish to kill themselves, if they are to that point and refuse help, then let them. I derive no joy from it, but at the same time it is death. We all die. It happens. So many brutal and sadistic ways someone can die in sheer physical pain, if someone does not want to let life kill them but instead their own hand, then let them. People DIE all the time. Someone killing themselves is just another end. Offer a helping hand to your fellow man if you have the chance, but the only tragic part of suicide is that it does seem apparent that people also are using suicide to HURT everyone else near/involved in their lives. Share the pain. Poor as hell to use your life as a WMD just because you want someone to understand.

Wow, you really are an ignorant f***.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

DarthJohnova

You do know what empathy is right? I have no empathy towards depression because I've never been depressed. Sadness towards events and situations sure, but depressed? Empathy is what you have when you yourself experience it. Sympathy is when you just try and understand based off perception of what it may feel like.

Your post is ironic.. by a lot.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"] Aaaaand your point is? Nowhere did I say my life experience is everybody's. People who commit suicide don't go "Boo hoo, Johnny said I'm stupid, I'm going to go hang myself". Anyone with half a brain can figure out that you have to be hurting pretty badly to consider suicide, many people even contemplate it for years and years before actually doing that. Killing yourself is always a bad thing. There's nothing peachy about suicide, in teenager or adults. But people who do try to kill themselves don't feel like they have any other options and certainly don't have any other way out. Nobody ever lives long enough to truly grasp the 'scope of life', but think about it, really; if you spent your WHOLE young life being tormented in some way or another, do you really wanna live for another 60 years of what you predict to be the same crap? It may not be true that they'll be bullied until the day they die, but they may still be isolated and not have anyone to turn to for support. You're not getting that people who want to kill themselves don't have a positive outlook on the future, or they wouldn't be considering suicide in the first place. As for "contacting the right people/avoiding the wrong people/getting over it".... excuse me? Really? People who are deeply depressed and considering suicide are not generally people who have a good support system of good people around them. Many have tons of bad influences in their lives that they can't rid themselves of. People who have access to a good support system usually get help and feel better, and therefore don't end up killing themselves, so they're removed from the picture entirely. Those that don't are the only ones left. And getting over it? Deal with depression for 8 or 10 solid years, then get back to me. You're not sad because the cake you were baking went flat, you're DEPRESSED. Problems are not temporary to depressed people, there's no silver lining or light at the end of the tunnel. I don't understand why that's so difficult for some people to grasp. It's a permanent solution because that's what they want. They want to stop hurting permanently. Look at it from the inside out, what may be a temporary problem to a 'normal' person isn't to somebody who's suffering chronic depression. DarthJohnova

You know what empathy is yeah?

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] However do not ignore the opposite end of the spectrum. Some of us were tormented both at school and at home, and dealt some pretty harsh situations even as an adult, as refuse to drop to even one knee. Does that mean we are superior? No. We also have empathy for the plight, but we will not have empathy for suicide if we ourselves always percieved as both a defeat and the ultimate weakness. This does not always have to do with, asking something higher to lend strength. I know three possible suicidal teens, and I chat it up with them and slowly I get them to talk and to also feel about how things can be better, and future oppurtunity. However, if one day they decide to take their own lives, I do not see myself having any feelings on it. To me, I cannot have empathy towards depression. I have a basic form of respect for my species, but if someone cannot take my hand to stand up then they can remain where they are. Growing up on the isolation of a deep country farm, I would have loved to have "anyone" outside of my family to interact with. Hell, I would have loved to of had the internet. Even this place, gamespot, would have sufficed as a worthy diversion and social interaction until I could move away and on with my life. Yet that is why if someone does wish to kill themselves, if they are to that point and refuse help, then let them. I derive no joy from it, but at the same time it is death. We all die. It happens. So many brutal and sadistic ways someone can die in sheer physical pain, if someone does not want to let life kill them but instead their own hand, then let them. People DIE all the time. Someone killing themselves is just another end. Offer a helping hand to your fellow man if you have the chance, but the only tragic part of suicide is that it does seem apparent that people also are using suicide to HURT everyone else near/involved in their lives. Share the pain. Poor as hell to use your life as a WMD just because you want someone to understand.Ilovegames1992

You know what empathy is yeah?

Being able to identify and understand others feelings, yes? Admittedly, it must be difficult to relate to someone with depression or a suicidal disposition, i don't expect anyone to, but really, it was put across rather insensitively.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Social Security

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I have to ask, do people seriously think that teens just kill themselves over stupid crap? That these kids are getting called a name at school one day and just going home and offing themselves?

I have known suicidal people in my time and I have been suicidal at one point in my life as well. It was never something stupid like "wahh people are mean!".

Rape is a big lead-in to suicide. Being raped can completely **** up ones mind. I have very personal experience witnessing how rape can effect someone. Seeing the effect of the act is exactly why I do not believe in letting rapists continue to breath our ******* air.

My thing that risked sending me over the edge was dealing with having my father go to jail. He has been in prison since I was 14. I have already been dealing with anxiety issues all my life and to have my life completely rocked like that right in the middle of High School was not a good combo. To this day I am still working on getting my head straight because I withdrawed into myself and developed some real screwed up views of myself in the world while shelled up in my head. I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to change the way you think like that....

I also was friends with this one girl who has attempted suicide at one point. She is diagnosed bi-polar and lost her mom to disease at quite a young age and no, it wasn't a quick death at all.

It just boggles my mind here that people actually think suicidal teens don't have **** to be sad about....

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

whats happened to to the teens of america?DarkGamerkill
BAD! NO!

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

Anyway, teenagers are idiots. 'Nuff said. I am one of the only decent ones you'll meet this generations. Only a few of us left.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#124 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Ok so you can read alot of article about teens committing suicide nowadays. i mean come one some of these kids commit suicide because they dont get the new toy or cell phone everyone else has, or someone called them stupid in school so they commited suicide whatever happened to punching that person in the nose? i mean come on whats happened to to the teens of america?DarkGamerkill

Nice assumptions you make there.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#125 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Anyway, teenagers are idiots. 'Nuff said. I am one of the only decent ones you'll meet this generations. Only a few of us left.

DmadFearmonger

Seeing as you have Vivian in your avatar, I'm inclined to believe you.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I have actually thought about killing myself on numerous occasions. Now I can't do it because it's so mainstream.Jazz_Fan
+1 :lol:

I think a lot of people posting here, are throwing blind opinions around without ever knowing someone in the position of being depressed or wanting to take their own life. Especially the ones saying "who cares".

DarthJohnova
Like every one of these threads plays out. Exactly
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

teens these days are such wussies. especiallydudes man whatever happened to growing a pair.i mean yeahtheir life maysuck and all, but its not likethey're the only one. next time u think of suicide think of all the kids in third world countries starving and in war and all that. thats why i try not to complain about stuff a lot cuz u know theres a crap load of ppl that have it way worse, and would give anything to be living the way i do. im not gonna lie, ive had suicidal thoughts and stuff b4, as have many ppl, but i would never do it just for the fact that its cowardly. i wouldnt wanna go out like a wuss. and plus im not very religious or anything, but i beleive in god, and i dont think he would approve of that.