Taken 2 - 19% Rotten Tomatoes Update, What did you think?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#51 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Damn, I was looking forward to it. I'll watch it anyway I guess.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Unnecessary sequel.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I'd also like to point out that the Tomatometer SCORE doesn't mean anything. They compile scores like this: review 60% or up is fresh, any review lower than 60% is rotten. The score is then determined based on how many views were "fresh" and "rotten" without any consideration of how good or bad those reviewers said the movie is. So you can absolutely get a Tomatometer score of 7% when most reviewers thought the movie was simply average, you can absolutely get a tomatometer score of 90% when most of the reviewers actually only rated the movie in the mid 60's. The score means nothing. You've gotta actually read the reviews where the critics actually talk about what was good and bad about the movie. Then you consider what they wrote, and decide if it still seems like something you want to spend your money on. But the tomatometer score doesn't really mean anything. Those scores can be VERY deceptive, and are not necessarily a good indicator of how good or bad a movie is.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I'd also like to point out that the Tomatometer SCORE doesn't mean anything. They compile scores like this: review 60% or up is fresh, any review lower than 60% is rotten. The score is then determined based on how many views were "fresh" and "rotten" without any consideration of how good or bad those reviewers said the movie is. So you can absolutely get a Tomatometer score of 7% when most reviewers thought the movie was simply average, you can absolutely get a tomatometer score of 90% when most of the reviewers actually only rated the movie in the mid 60's. The score means nothing. You've gotta actually read the reviews where the critics actually talk about what was good and bad about the movie. Then you consider what they wrote, and decide if it still seems like something you want to spend your money on. But the tomatometer score doesn't really mean anything. Those scores can be VERY deceptive, and are not necessarily a good indicator of how good or bad a movie is.MrGeezer

Don't entirely agree, I think the Tomatometer is generally good as a first screen, but not necessarily more than that. For example, the Tomatometer gives you a screen on whether the median score is greater than six. I imagine you'd also find a reasonable degree of correlation between tomatometer and critic average.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
The first wasn't highly praised, and seeing how this just looks like a half-assed retread of the first I'm not surprised critics aren't loving it.
Jesus-Jew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jesus-Jew
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
Saw it coming.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
[QUOTE="BdogTheGamer"]The title "Taken 2" basically spells cash-in and terrible movie.MrGeezer
Come on, man. Do you have any idea how much it costs to make movies in this day and age? With production costs so high, people pretty much NEED to just play it safe by making stupid and unnecessary sequels.

Yet again, you have no idea what you're talking about. While studios do spend more on producing films these days, the digital filmmaking revolution and the falling cost of special effects means that movies are cheaper to make than ever. Digital is more cost effective than recording on film, and the numbers aren't close.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

tumblr_m7h5zboITk1r6ezjio1_500.jpg.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#59 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I'm confident they can fix up these mistakes for Taken 3.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

A collectoin of other peoples opinions does not influence my decision. I don't know why people care so much about what Rotten Tomatoes has to say, never once have they ever had any influence on my enjoyment of a movie. It's just opinion.

You know the saying "Everyone's a critic"? Well it's true, everyone has an opinion and can express it. Critics have a job that anyone can do.

shadowkiller11

That''s like saying screenwriters have a job anyone can do, Novelist have a job anyone can do. Most people can do a lot of jobs but being good at it is another matter, the fact is with a critic is they have more experience with movies and are more analytical. Of course it's an opinion and it can be different to others but a consensus also means that the potential of you liking it is also lower unless you have low tastes or critics were wrong which can happen on rare occasions. It helps people to decide whether to look out for that movie or not, it's not saying "don't watch" but it usually means you shouldn't expect alot out of it or so on.

Agreed, people love to pick on critics and say "it's just an opinion" which is true but more often than not, they tend to know what they're talking about and bring up some valid points.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I'd also like to point out that the Tomatometer SCORE doesn't mean anything. They compile scores like this: review 60% or up is fresh, any review lower than 60% is rotten. The score is then determined based on how many views were "fresh" and "rotten" without any consideration of how good or bad those reviewers said the movie is. So you can absolutely get a Tomatometer score of 7% when most reviewers thought the movie was simply average, you can absolutely get a tomatometer score of 90% when most of the reviewers actually only rated the movie in the mid 60's. The score means nothing. You've gotta actually read the reviews where the critics actually talk about what was good and bad about the movie. Then you consider what they wrote, and decide if it still seems like something you want to spend your money on. But the tomatometer score doesn't really mean anything. Those scores can be VERY deceptive, and are not necessarily a good indicator of how good or bad a movie is.MrGeezer

Well, I prefer Metacritic, pretty much addresses the exact problem you're referring to.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#62 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Is this any surprise? How much of a failure of father must Liam be that his family/daughter got kidnapped not once but fvcking TWICE? I mean, I would think a guy with a particular set of skills wouldn't be so criminally negligent as to get his daughter stolen a SECOND time.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#63 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
Tbh my hype was killed when I read that it would be pretty much the same plot from the first one.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="BdogTheGamer"]The title "Taken 2" basically spells cash-in and terrible movie.Rhazakna
Come on, man. Do you have any idea how much it costs to make movies in this day and age? With production costs so high, people pretty much NEED to just play it safe by making stupid and unnecessary sequels.

Yet again, you have no idea what you're talking about. While studios do spend more on producing films these days, the digital filmmaking revolution and the falling cost of special effects means that movies are cheaper to make than ever. Digital is more cost effective than recording on film, and the numbers aren't close.

I think you need to buy a new sarcasm detector.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]I'd also like to point out that the Tomatometer SCORE doesn't mean anything. They compile scores like this: review 60% or up is fresh, any review lower than 60% is rotten. The score is then determined based on how many views were "fresh" and "rotten" without any consideration of how good or bad those reviewers said the movie is. So you can absolutely get a Tomatometer score of 7% when most reviewers thought the movie was simply average, you can absolutely get a tomatometer score of 90% when most of the reviewers actually only rated the movie in the mid 60's. The score means nothing. You've gotta actually read the reviews where the critics actually talk about what was good and bad about the movie. Then you consider what they wrote, and decide if it still seems like something you want to spend your money on. But the tomatometer score doesn't really mean anything. Those scores can be VERY deceptive, and are not necessarily a good indicator of how good or bad a movie is.TacticalDesire

Well, I prefer Metacritic, pretty much addresses the exact problem you're referring to.

*shrugs* Hell, I wouldn't even say it's a problem, but sure. If one's going to rely on a scoring system, then one should at least know how that scoring system works. But ultimately, scoring systems aren't inherently good for anything other than a quick glance. If the purpose of a "review" is to help consumers to decide whether or not to spend their money on something, then a freaking number still doesn't say anything about what it is that I was planning on spending money on. Neither a 2% score or a 99% score tells me what worked, what didn't work, and whether or not what did work is enough to make me feel like it's a worthwhile use of my money. All the meat of the good/bad angle is contained in what people SAY about a work. This is precisely why "reviews" give a numerical score or a star rating, and then take the time to actually talk about the movie.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
[QUOTE="Seraphy-"]Liam Neeson punching random assh*les in the face is what made the first one enjoyable in the first place, so I'm not seeing the issuechampion837
This.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Update in original post.

I thought overall it was a solid action movie. If you loved the first one then you'll definitely like Taken 2. I was just like the first one just in a different locale.

What did you think?

Goran209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Goran209
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
ehh well, it wasnt as good as the first one because the storyline in the first was much better this one was just a little... put together in a hurry
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

Taken 2 is trying to be more than what it is, and it just felt like an obvious cash grab. They focused too much on the family and less of Neeson snapping necks..

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#70 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Is this any surprise? How much of a failure of father must Liam be that his family/daughter got kidnapped not once but fvcking TWICE? I mean, I would think a guy with a particular set of skills wouldn't be so criminally negligent as to get his daughter stolen a SECOND time.

Also, what idiots would kidnap his family after they saw what happened the first time? :P
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Is this any surprise? How much of a failure of father must Liam be that his family/daughter got kidnapped not once but fvcking TWICE? I mean, I would think a guy with a particular set of skills wouldn't be so criminally negligent as to get his daughter stolen a SECOND time.

Also, what idiots would kidnap his family after they saw what happened the first time? :P

That's another thing, they made the bad guys fvcking dumber than a bag of hammers.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Whaaat. They did the same movie with the exact same plot and it didn't get good reviews?

So surprised.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

Given the money it's made this weekend, I don't think Fox gives a crap what the critics think.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Blazerdt47

Given the money it's made this weekend, I don't think Fox gives a crap what the critics think.

Hallenbeck77

Taken 3 confirmed.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Do we know if there is going to be an unrated version for this? like there was with the first one?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Blazerdt47

Taken 3 confirmed.

I wouldn't be so sure just yet.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Blazerdt47

Taken 3 confirmed.

I wonder what's going to happen this time.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

Do we know if there is going to be an unrated version for this? like there was with the first one?

konvikt_17
Nothing official yet, but I imagine so, especially since the first one did well.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

Hallenbeck77

Nothing official yet, but I imagine so, especially since the first one did well.

i hope so.

for the first one we bought the unrated one with the theatrical version. i had always watched the unrated. then one day my sister was watching the theatrical and i noticed it left out quite a bit.

im sure they would leave out just as much this time, so id probly skip on the movie if they dont have an unrated version.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

There's a review for the movie that says there was some cut scenes in the theatrical release:

I'll revisit Taken 2 when the unrated version comes to home video, if only because I have no idea what happens at the very end. This movie was cut to sh!t, no more apparent than when a guy dies from getting gingerly shoved into a wall. I think he might have been impaled on a towel rack, but I might also be trying to fill in the blanks myself. This is a film with a lot of blanks.CHUD dot com

The full review is here.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#81 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58459 Posts

havent seen it

however, the first one was a mediocre movie. I mean, it was a GREAT action movie, but people were all over it like it was a well-executed, well-acted movie. It wasn't: the acting was forced, the dialogue was rediculous, and the cast (out side of Liam) was shoddy.

The actress that played the daughter was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too old looking for her character. The dialogue was rediculous: "Its elizibeth! She's been...TAKEN!" Who the frack says "taken"; its "kidnapped".

From then on, it was an action-fest that was fun, but I just don't get the hype saying it was a good movie as a whole.

I look forward to seeing Taken 2, but I don't expect much outside of a fun movie.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Hallenbeck77

Taken 3 confirmed.

I wouldn't be so sure just yet.

Lol I've read that already before Taken 2 even came out. But with double how much Taken 2 is pulling in at the box office. They may rethink this. I think the samething was said that there would be no sequel to Taken 1.