Syria conflict: 'Chemical attacks kill hundreds'

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]Obama is the worst chess player I have ever seen KC_Hokie

This is very, very true.

Obama is playing checkers while Russia and Iran are playing chess.

i don't know about Russia but Iranian politicians sure as hell are too dumb to play any political chess.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Bossperson,

I haven't been following this particular thing for the past few months. Is Russia still having a full hardon for Assad, and could that possibly have to do with the questionable reluctance on the part of the U.S. WRT military intervention?

coolbeans90
Russia still has unrelenting support for Assad. Whether or no America doesnt want to intervene because of that; i think america is smart enough to know that Russia will not go to war with America just to protect some cartoon looking like dictator in the middle east.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

Also the US better start helping the rebels before they fall apart. The "alliance" between the FSA and extremists is a time bomb.

LJS9502_basic

Why? It's not our war.....

No but our enemy is crippled and you don't get opportunities like this very often.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

So how far past the red line are we now?wolverine4262

I can't keep up with how fast they keep redrawing that line

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Bossperson,

I haven't been following this particular thing for the past few months. Is Russia still having a full hardon for Assad, and could that possibly have to do with the questionable reluctance on the part of the U.S. WRT military intervention?

BossPerson

Russia still has unrelenting support for Assad. Whether or no America doesnt want to intervene because of that; i think america is smart enough to know that Russia will not go to war with America just to protect some cartoon looking like dictator in the middle east.

Would that also rule out things like material assistance form of military hardware against the US (probably would go down way too fast for them to do anything about that though) or, more likely, the following government?

'cuz short of that

it seems like this isn't something Obama seems to give a sh!t about

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BossPerson

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

Also the US better start helping the rebels before they fall apart. The "alliance" between the FSA and extremists is a time bomb.

sherman-tank1

No but our enemy is crippled and you don't get opportunities like this very often.

thou art intelligent
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Bossperson,

dude_brahmski

Would that also rule out things like material assistance form of military hardware against the US (probably would go down way too fast for them to do anything about that though) or, more likely, the following government?

'cuz short of that

thats an interesting thought. Im not sure if Russia fine with being in a "full" proxy war with America
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dude_brahmski

Jeb Bush 2016?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BossPerson

Jeb Bush 2016?

dude_brahmski
relax
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dude_brahmski

[QUOTE="dude_brahmski"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]Russia still has unrelenting support for Assad. Whether or no America doesnt want to intervene because of that; i think america is smart enough to know that Russia will not go to war with America just to protect some cartoon looking like dictator in the middle east. BossPerson

'cuz short of that

thats an interesting thought. Im not sure if Russia fine with being in a "full" proxy war with America

well

we have been pondering the idea of helping rebels

iirc we might have given them weapons already

and assad is backed and armed by russia

so it is already a hair away

and them (the russians) arming the next set of rebels after a regime change wouldn't upping the ante THAT much

but it would be a (further) escalation i think

but then again idk what options they'l actually have if assad falls, so this is all meandering speculation

i mean, i feel like they will do what they can to passively increase their influence in the region which could very well possibly be weakening a gov't that is not so favorable to them

but this is all armchair global affairs

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dude_brahmski

[QUOTE="dude_brahmski"]

Jeb Bush 2016?

BossPerson

relax

you think he'd stand for the russians stopping us from spreading democracy?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

In other news, the sky is blue.

The Middle East is a fvcked up part of the world. Who would have known?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="dude_brahmski"]

'cuz short of that

dude_brahmski

well

and them (the russians) arming the next set of rebels after a regime change wouldn't upping the ante THAT much

but then again idk what options they'l actually have if assad falls, so this is all meandering speculation

i mean, i feel like they will do what they can to passively increase their influence in the region which could very well possibly be weakening a gov't that is not so favorable to them

but the US's assistance is more passive than active. Russia is going all out in helping Assad. Iran too.
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dude_brahmski

[QUOTE="dude_brahmski"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]thats an interesting thought. Im not sure if Russia fine with being in a "full" proxy war with AmericaBossPerson

well

but the US's assistance is more passive than active. Russia is going all out in helping Assad. Iran too.

i meant that after a regime change that they could very well continue a passive thing

i guess by "active" i'd consider that tossing tanks on the ground

but what i am trying to say is that i dont think russia will just be all "gg;wp" after assad is gone

ofc, maybe that just means we could actively support syria against passive aggression, which would be a nice upper hand for stability

I WISH I KNEW MORE ABOUT THE VARIOUS NUANCES THOUGH

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BossPerson

well

dude_brahmski

i meant that after a regime change that they could very well continue a passive thing

but what i am trying to say is that i dont think russia will just be all "gg;wp" after assad is gone

ofc, maybe that just means we could actively support syria against passive aggression, which would be a nice upper hand for stability

Assad is Russia's man in Syria. When he falls, Russia will have nothing left there. They dont care about installing a puppet regime. when assad is lynched or escapes to siberia any proxy war that will happen will be between the West vs the Gulf (seculars/moderates vs bearded fvcks) or iran vs the gulf and Israel to an extent (iran vs sunnis and enemies of hezbollah)
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 dude_brahmski

[QUOTE="dude_brahmski"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]but the US's assistance is more passive than active. Russia is going all out in helping Assad. Iran too. BossPerson

Assad is Russia's man in Syria. When he falls, Russia will have nothing left there. They dont care about installing a puppet regime. when assad is lynched or escapes to siberia any proxy war that will happen will be between the West vs the Gulf (seculars/moderates vs bearded fvcks) or iran vs the gulf and Israel to an extent (iran vs sunnis and enemies of hezbollah)

Interesting.

You should post about this stuff more.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 BossPerson

dude_brahmski

Interesting.

i am a god
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dude_brahmski

[QUOTE="dude_brahmski"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]Assad is Russia's man in Syria. When he falls, Russia will have nothing left there. They dont care about installing a puppet regime. when assad is lynched or escapes to siberia any proxy war that will happen will be between the West vs the Gulf (seculars/moderates vs bearded fvcks) or iran vs the gulf and Israel to an extent (iran vs sunnis and enemies of hezbollah)BossPerson

Interesting.

i am a god

you are p. solid on foreign affairs sh!t

so maybe

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#69 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19682 Posts

The Syrian Civil War is more or less a proxy war, with Russia and Iran arming & funding the government, while the US, UK and France are arming & funding the rebels. This may very well be the start of a second Cold War...

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 BossPerson

The Syrian Civil War is more or less a proxy war, with Russia and Iran arming & funding the government, while the US, UK and France are arming & funding the rebels. This may very well be the start of a second Cold War...

Jag85
Horray for the foresight of the dumbasses known as bush and cheney who thought it would be fun to take down Saddam and let Iraq become the new best friends of Iran
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178874 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

sherman-tank1

Not compelling enough reason....
DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

Is anyone here entertaining the thought that this sarin attack wasn't launched by Assad?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

gamerguru100
No
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

themajormayor
No

Fact: The sky is blue. Fact: The Middle East is a fvcked up part of the world.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jag85
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

BossPerson
Horray for the foresight of the dumbasses known as bush and cheney who thought it would be fun to take down Saddam and let Iraq become the new best friends of Iran

Iraq and Iran are best friends now?
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

I think that everyone should take a step back and think, because NOBODY knows who did what. I dont know what to thnk: 

Could it be Assad ? maybe. but why ? the UN inspectors that HE ASKED for are thre literal MILES away from the attack, and it wold mean suicide for him because if confirmed that it was him the international community will almost certainly step in and remove him. and most importantly it has seemed as though his forces have been winning the past few months. 

Could it be the rebels ? a ploy to gain international support to oust assad ? maybe but the gassed a major strong hold of theirs and killed their OWN FIGHTERS in what looks like a losing battle.

Quite frankly its impossible to give blame to anyone yet since there are so many possibilities. what is clear is that this whole war is a debacle of epic proportions.   The whole point of this civil war was to depose a dictator in the name of freedom, now its a war being fought by a blood thirsty tyrant, religious extremists and a proxy war between the US and Russia with the populace caught in the middle, the whole nation is destroyed and EVERYONE is far worse off that before this started, no winners here only losers. 

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

Assads days are numbered.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

gamerguru100
No

Fact: The sky is blue. Fact: The Middle East is a fvcked up part of the world.

It's a fact in that every part of the world is fvcked up. Middle East is more than some parts and less than other parts.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#79 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]

[QUOTE="BBC News"]

Chemical weapons attacks have killed hundreds on the outskirts of Damascus, Syrian opposition activists say.

Rockets with toxic agents were launched at the suburbs of the Ghouta region early on Wednesday as part of a major bombardment on rebel forces, they say.

The Syrian army says the accusations have been fabricated to cover up rebel losses.

The main opposition alliance said that more than 1,000 people were killed by the attacks.

Activist networks also reported death tolls in the hundreds, but these could not be independently confirmed.

BossPerson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23777201

Here we go.

still waiting for him to cross that red line

amirite barry?

I guess Obama the administrations response is that after Syria allegedly crossed the "red line" we reacted by aiding the "rebels"? It seems like our red lines might appear as yellow lines though. Now if Cheney was president there would be big repercussions for anyone who crossed a red line.

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dude_brahmski

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

BossPerson

I mean, Saddam had to go.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Russia is going all out in helping Assad. Iran too.

BossPerson

Good for them.  I hope China joins in too.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

The body count is "officially" about 100,000.  But we'll probably find out later it's upwards of 200,000.  Tragic.  F*cking islam.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Jag85

The body count is "officially" about 100,000.  But we'll probably find out later it's upwards of 200,000.  Tragic.  F*cking islam.

GOGOGOGURT

That figure wouldn't have been anywhere near as high if NATO and Russia didn't turn Syria into a Cold War proxy conflict by supplying arms and funding to both opposing sides...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

it's a shame the us wasted its invasion on iraq rather than a place that could actually use it.....

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Jag85

it's a shame the us wasted its invasion on iraq rather than a place that could actually use it.....

comp_atkins
The US and allies were actually planning to invade Syria, but Russia and China prevented them. As a result, the Syrian civil war has now turned into a Cold War proxy conflict between NATO and Russia...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

Jag85

That figure wouldn't have been anywhere near as high if NATO and Russia didn't turn Syria into a Cold War proxy conflict by supplying arms and funding to both opposing sides...

Maybe. Without arm supplies it could still be a stalemate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

Jag85

The US and allies were actually planning to invade Syria, but Russia and China prevented them. As a result, the Syrian civil war has now turned into a Cold War proxy conflict between NATO and Russia...

My jist is that if the government gains momentum the West will conduct a no fly zone from Jordan. And if the rebels gain the upper hand Iran is going to be sending in more than just advisors. What a bloody mess it is.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 BossPerson

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

sherman-tank1

My jist is that if the government gains momentum the West will conduct a no fly zone from Jordan. And if the rebels gain the upper hand Iran is going to be sending in more than just advisors. What a bloody mess it is.

Iran has already sent their "Revolutionary Guards," apparently they send 4000 during this summer as well.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

false flag no doubt

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

sherman-tank1

The problem is that if the West (US, UK, France, and Sunni allies) try to pull any punches, then the East (Russia, Iran, Shia allies, and possibly even China) may try to pull some punches too. It's a tricky situation for both sides of this proxy conflict.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] The US and allies were actually planning to invade Syria, but Russia and China prevented them. As a result, the Syrian civil war has now turned into a Cold War proxy conflict between NATO and Russia...Jag85

The problem is that if the West (US, UK, France, and Sunni allies) try to pull any punches, then the East (Russia, Iran, Shia allies, and possibly even China) may try to pull some punches too. It's a tricky situation for both sides of this proxy conflict.

Highly doubt anything happens since you need UN security counsel permission to get involved (officially, overtly) with air strikes for example.

China and Russia aren't going to vote for one after what happened with Libya. The Libyan intervention was supposed to a 'humanitarian' mission. Instead, NATO and their allies used it as an offensive weapon against Gaddafi only.

The Chinese and Russians both felt tricked by what NATO & allies did in Libya. No way in hell they will vote for another intervention of an ally.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

sherman-tank1

You mean the same way US helped Libya and then Libya backstabbed the US?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Jag85

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

RadecSupreme

How exactly did Libya "backstab" the US?
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

KC_Hokie

Highly doubt anything happens since you need UN security counsel permission to get involved (officially, overtly) with air strikes for example.

China and Russia aren't going to vote for one after what happened with Libya. The Libyan intervention was supposed to a 'humanitarian' mission. Instead, NATO and their allies used it as an offensive weapon against Gaddafi only.

The Chinese and Russians both felt tricked by what NATO & allies did in Libya. No way in hell they will vote for another intervention of an ally.

I don't blame the Chinese and Russians. I also felt cheated by that Libya "intervention". I thought that, with the new governments in the US and UK, surely they wouldn't try to pull another Iraq on us... But it turned out they did in Libya (though not quite to the same extent as Iraq, of course).

However, the current Syria conflict seems to be getting deadlier than the Libyan one was. And there doesn't seem to be a solution in sight...

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

I don't blame the Chinese and Russians. I also felt cheated by that Libya "intervention". I thought that, with the new governments in the US and UK, surely they wouldn't try to pull another Iraq on us... But it turned out they did in Libya (though not quite to the same extent as Iraq, of course).

However, the current Syria conflict seems to be getting deadlier than the Libyan one was. And there doesn't seem to be a solution in sight...

Yea I don't blame China and Russia now because they were tricked by NATO and the U.S. into thinking Libya would be 'humanitarian'.

Only thing U.S. and allies could do now would be covert stuff. And I doubt that would counter what Iran, Russia and China are sending to Syria. We also do a horrible job picking the 'good guys' in these proxy wars.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] Highly doubt anything happens since you need UN security counsel permission to get involved (officially, overtly) with air strikes for example.

KC_Hokie

Yea I don't blame China and Russia now because they were tricked by NATO and the U.S. into thinking Libya would be 'humanitarian'.

Only thing U.S. and allies could do now would be covert stuff. And I doubt that would counter what Iran, Russia and China are sending to Syria. We also do a horrible job picking the 'good guys' in these proxy wars.

Yes, these are the "good guys" we're supporting:

Syrian rebel 'eats the heart' of Syrian soldier

(Warning: Graphic)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

It doesn't matter who is good. It matters who is our (west) political enemy and who isn't.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BossPerson
[QUOTE="RadecSupreme"]

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

Jag85

How exactly did Libya "backstab" the US?

he is a fox news dumbass who thinks the attack in benghazi was equal to libya backstabbing the US
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] Yea I don't blame China and Russia now because they were tricked by NATO and the U.S. into thinking Libya would be 'humanitarian'.

sherman-tank1

It doesn't matter who is good. It matters who is our (west) political enemy and who isn't.

Wrong. That's how groups like Al-Qaeda and Taliban took over Afghanistan. That's why Iraq and Libya are such a mess.

You have to think several steps ahead not one like in the Cold War.