Syria conflict: 'Chemical attacks kill hundreds'

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Chemical weapons attacks have killed hundreds on the outskirts of Damascus, Syrian opposition activists say.

Rockets with toxic agents were launched at the suburbs of the Ghouta region early on Wednesday as part of a major bombardment on rebel forces, they say.

The Syrian army says the accusations have been fabricated to cover up rebel losses.

The main opposition alliance said that more than 1,000 people were killed by the attacks.

Activist networks also reported death tolls in the hundreds, but these could not be independently confirmed.

BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23777201

Here we go.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

[QUOTE="BBC News"]

Chemical weapons attacks have killed hundreds on the outskirts of Damascus, Syrian opposition activists say.

Rockets with toxic agents were launched at the suburbs of the Ghouta region early on Wednesday as part of a major bombardment on rebel forces, they say.

The Syrian army says the accusations have been fabricated to cover up rebel losses.

The main opposition alliance said that more than 1,000 people were killed by the attacks.

Activist networks also reported death tolls in the hundreds, but these could not be independently confirmed.

clyde46

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23777201

Here we go.

still waiting for him to cross that red line

amirite barry?

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#3 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
It's about 102,000 dead people already, right?
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BossPerson
It's about 102,000 dead people already, right?Hiddai
we'll have lebanon beat in no time but the vast majority of those deaths were just Assad shelling neughbourhoods and leveling buildings
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

It's about 102,000 dead people already, right?Hiddai
At least 100,000 from the UN estimate.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hiddai
[QUOTE="Hiddai"]It's about 102,000 dead people already, right?BossPerson
we'll have lebanon beat in no time but the vast majority of those deaths were just Assad shelling neughbourhoods and leveling buildings

Idk, it's difficult to know what's going on there...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Also the US better start helping the rebels before they fall apart. The "alliance" between the FSA and extremists is a time bomb.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hiddai
Oh, i almost forgot. The Zionists are resposible for this, right? I know this comment would come eventually...
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

who am I supposed to hate in this conflict?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BossPerson

lostrib
Iran and Qatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

lostrib

The only decent factions seem to be the Free Syrian Army and the Kurds. The extremists, the government, and Hezbollah have been commiting horrific acts.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

BossPerson

Iran and Qatar

i think i can do that.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

sherman-tank1

The only decent factions seem to be the Free Syrian Army and the Kurds. The extremists, the government, and Hezbollah have been commiting horrific acts.

That's too many. There's not an easy binary, partisan solution that I can get behind? You know, red vs blue, US vs terrorists, spy vs spy, etc.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

When I saw the news it seemed like a lot of the deaths were akin to something like suffocation. In that sense they could be right, CO2 is a chemical (lol).

Let's see how good ole Barry and Vlad work this out.

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

Also the US better start helping the rebels before they fall apart. The "alliance" between the FSA and extremists is a time bomb.

sherman-tank1

The US should stay the fvck out of it.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BossPerson

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

DrKillByDeath84

The US should stay the fvck out of it.

it wont cost them anything considerable
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

sherman-tank1

I don't want them to help the rebels. They are backed by Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood (if I've read correctly). They would be just as bad for the country.

This isn't a black and white case of good vs. evil. In my opinon both major factions suck. There are also dozens of smaller factions. It's a mess.

The US should stay out of it. Whoever wins that war the people are going ot lose. I would prefer the US to not bother trying to fix a part of the world which refuses to fix itself. We tried that, it doesn't work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Engrish_Major

That's too many. There's not an easy binary, partisan solution that I can get behind? You know, red vs blue, US vs terrorists, spy vs spy, etc.

I wish it was that easy. This war is far from red vs. blue. If you don't follow it closely then you won't be able to get the big picture.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

Wasdie

I don't want them to help the rebels. They are backed by Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood (if I've read correctly). They would be just as bad for the country.

This isn't a black and white case of good vs. evil. In my opinon both major factions suck. There are also dozens of smaller factions. It's a mess.

The US should stay out of it. Whoever wins that war the people are going ot lose. I would prefer the US to not bother trying to fix a part of the world which refuses to fix itself. We tried that, it doesn't work.

I used to agree, but the FSA (the moderate rebels) and the Al-Qaeda factions have split and often fight each other. If there is a way to just help the FSA, then I say do it. It is hard to pass up on an opportunity to take out Iran's strongest Middle Eastern ally. But you do have very good points.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]The only decent factions seem to be the Free Syrian Army and the Kurds. The extremists, the government, and Hezbollah have been commiting horrific acts.

sherman-tank1

I wish it was that easy. This war is far from red vs. blue. If you don't follow it closely then you won't be able to get the big picture.

Noted. In that case, as a diligent American, I'm going to go back to my patriotic duties and focus my attention fully on the newest Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, which is starting shortly.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BossPerson

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

sherman-tank1

I used to agree, but the FSA (the moderate rebels) and the Al-Qaeda factions have split and often fight each other. If there is a way to just help the FSA, then I say do it. It is hard to pass up on an opportunity to take out Iran's strongest Middle Eastern ally.

mhm Perhaps Israel should gamble as well and try to push America to intervene in order to knockout Iran's pillars in the Levant (Hezbollah and Syria.) If Syria goes, Hezbollah will be severely weakened.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

BossPerson

I used to agree, but the FSA (the moderate rebels) and the Al-Qaeda factions have split and often fight each other. If there is a way to just help the FSA, then I say do it. It is hard to pass up on an opportunity to take out Iran's strongest Middle Eastern ally.

mhm Perhaps Israel should gamble as well and try to push America to intervene in order to knockout Iran's pillars in the Levant (Hezbollah and Syria.) If Syria goes, Hezbollah will be severely weakened.

Hezbollah is already suffering for their intervention as well. I would imagine if the rebels took over there is a possibility for an invasion of Lebanon. But all we can do is wait and see what happens in this mess.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BossPerson
Obama is the worst chess player I have ever seen
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BossPerson
I find it hard to believe that America or Israel have absolutely zero idea of where Assad is living, hiding and that they lack the means to to take him out without any losses at all from their end.
VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

honestly, IMO the US should help the rebels out, but only to a point where they can continue the fight without being able to win. this isn't humane obviously but since both sides of the conflict suck, it will keep them busy killing each other for a long time which i think is a good thing.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Engrish_Major
I find it hard to believe that America or Israel have absolutely zero idea of where Assad is living, hiding and that they lack the means to to take him out without any losses at all from their end. BossPerson
After Osama, Snowden, and Whitey Bulger, it is not a stretch to believe that the US government is not exactly great at finding people.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BossPerson

honestly, IMO the US should help the rebels out, but only to a point where they can continue the fight without being able to win. this isn't humane obviously but since both sides of the conflict suck, it will keep them busy killing each other for a long time which i think is a good thing.

VaguelyTagged
sad to hear this from someone whose country can turn into a warzone any minute now, how would you like a civil war to last in your city for as long as possible? The only reason the rebels now "suck" is because America didn't help them at all for years and forced psychos in the gulf to help salafists in Syria. If America offered support from the beginning, this wouldnt have happened.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

I find it hard to believe that America or Israel have absolutely zero idea of where Assad is living, hiding and that they lack the means to to take him out without any losses at all from their end. BossPerson
They had no idea where Gadaffi was. Everybody thought he was in Tripoli.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BossPerson
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]I find it hard to believe that America or Israel have absolutely zero idea of where Assad is living, hiding and that they lack the means to to take him out without any losses at all from their end. Engrish_Major
After Osama, Snowden, and Whitey Bulger, it is not a stretch to believe that the US government is not exactly great at finding people.

they know where Snowden is, they knew where Osama was in Tora Bora and as for that mafioso, the resources that they send to find international political figures dwarf the resources that they'd send after some organized crime boss
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wasdie  Moderator

Why should America or Israel get involved? The world hates both of them enough as it is.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

VaguelyTagged
Watch this.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BossPerson

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]I find it hard to believe that America or Israel have absolutely zero idea of where Assad is living, hiding and that they lack the means to to take him out without any losses at all from their end. Wasdie

Why should America or Israel get involved? The world hates both of them enough as it is.

That's a delusion people keep saying as an excuse to not do anything. The reason Israel is hated is obvious, but America is hated not because it intervenes, but because it is perceived by people to act in a ruthless way to forward its economic/military interests. Ask Libyans how much they hate America and youll get a different answer than if you ask Iraqis
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wasdie  Moderator

they know where Snowden is, they knew where Osama was in Tora Bora and as for that mafioso, the resources that they send to find international political figures dwarf the resources that they'd send after some organized crime bossBossPerson

They tried to get Osama in Tora Bora but the environment is absolute hell. I've talked to people who fought there, they said that you cannot possible get an organized force through there in any sort of a timely fashion. Add in tons of Taliban and Al Qaeda resistance and you are bascially fought to a stand still every 20 meters.

All of the tech in the world cannot make up for that hellish terrain. They were closing in on him but it's much easier for lightly armed men to move around in unorganized numbers than for the convientional army of the US to move through it. Those battles prompted a ton of changes within the US military. 

Today the US military would probably do much better in that terrain, but in the mid early and mid 2000s they didn't have the training, equipment, or experience to deal with that terrain. Today the US military is really scary. 10+ years of counter insurgency will do that to any fighting force.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

those people are ****ed no matter what they do.

It is a sad, sad, sad situation :(  Only worsened by the fact that in order to help, you have to pick a side.

I don't know, maybe it is best that they do all kill eachother?  I don't really believe that, but hell maybe if all the idiots kill eachother, the peaceful people will come out from the shelter and lead.

Then again, I just read ElBaradei pretty much gave up on Egypt so even the wisest and most hopeful have their limit.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
I don't think Israel is that fond of the alternative to Assad.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

We need solid snake now more than ever.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

BossPerson
sad to hear this from someone whose country can turn into a warzone any minute now, how would you like a civil war to last in your city for as long as possible? The only reason the rebels now "suck" is because America didn't help them at all for years and forced psychos in the gulf to help salafists in Syria. If America offered support from the beginning, this wouldnt have happened.

i never said it was ethically justified but at this point (where the rebels are already linked to Alqaeda) you can't just let them take over.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
it wont cost them anything considerable BossPerson
But what will we gain from it? That's how the United States and nearly every nation on the planet operates. The bulk of hard currency (infinitely more valuable than the bits the Federal Reserve flips in the system) that Assad was stashing, which many speculated would be a reason to go to war, is probably already in Russia. The measures to fund the rebels, who are screwed anyway, have another two months to pass legislation. Maybe some light funding would help but I'm sorely against sending any sort of personnel.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Wonder if the chemical weapons were used by the government or al-qaeda linked groups. The Turks in May caught Al-Nusra with chemical weapons trying to get into Syria.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

sherman-tank1
Why? It's not our war.....
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

BossPerson

Not our fault the 'rebels' were never organized with no clear goals. Their 'leadership' is made up of a bunch of expatriates living in hotels in Istanbul.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Obama is the worst chess player I have ever seen BossPerson

This is very, very true.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
So how far past the red line are we now?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Bossperson,

I haven't been following this particular thing for the past few months. Is Russia still having a full hardon for Assad, and could that possibly have to do with the questionable reluctance on the part of the U.S. WRT military intervention?

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]Obama is the worst chess player I have ever seen coolbeans90

This is very, very true.

Obama is playing checkers while Russia and Iran are playing chess.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I got wayyy confused for a second thinking you meant the chemical weaponry killed 100,000, I was like 0_0

then i realized this is within the last 2 years, ha. but still. i believe they're saying around 1300 dead from this specific attack. 

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]Obama is the worst chess player I have ever seen KC_Hokie

This is very, very true.

who is playing Tic Tac Toe?

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

This is very, very true.

mrbojangles25

who is playing Tic Tac Toe?

Africa.