uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

They had a trailer up for abit, but this is the first clear set photo of the character design. What do you think?

Some text

The newest hero from DC Universe is set to make his debut, but it's going to be unlike anything from the superhero streaming service yet. Where as Titans used a grin and gritty approach to capes, while Doom Patrolembraced the weird, Swamp Thing will apply a gothic horror aesthetic to the genre.

Ahead of the premiere on May 31st, DC Universe just unveiled a new series of images from the plot for Swamp Thing, including our best look yet at the transformed monstrosity and Avatar of the Green. Take a look in the images below.

Much like Titans and Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing will take advantage of the streaming service's mature label. Derek Mears, the actor who plays the creature on the series, recently spoke with ComicBook.com and made it clear that the show would be leaning heavily into that "hard R" rating.

"I heard, without giving anything away, I heard on the production side at one point a story from one of the upper echelon creators, or studio execs saying something like, 'Wait, you're going to do what on-screen?'" Mears explained. "They go, 'That's pretty...that's really violent.'"

Mears is excited for the horror series, which comes from producer James Wan and writer Gary Dauberman, both of whom have been shepherding The Conjuring franchise of films and spinoffs.

"I would say, I'm a fan representing the fans, and going, 'Yeah, I would tune into this 1000%,'" the actor added. "And the other thing, which I was really excited about, in my opinion, after watching the monitors of unfinished footage, just from the day of shooting is that the style and the tone feels very much like Seven, in a sense, like really dark and broody, and I'm excited."

We'll get to see just how horrific the series will be when Swamp Thingpremieres on DC Universe on May 31st. Keep scrolling to see all of the new photos.

SLIDE 1 of 6

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Looks a lot like the creature from the comic book. I guess they probably won't be following Alan Moore's story arc for the Thing. I don't remember any hard R related material in it. If they do, it might be like how The Watchmen was transitioned on to the big screen. Still, I am as much of a fan of the 80's movie and the comic book to watch this new version. Though admittedly The 80's film did have some gory scenes.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I do like these shows, my only issue is the unnecessary drama and nearly 99% it isn't from the original source, so far to many shows focus to much on the drama instead of the story they are trying to tell.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup

@npiet1 said:

I do like these shows, my only issue is the unnecessary drama and nearly 99% it isn't from the original source, so far to many shows focus to much on the drama instead of the story they are trying to tell.

DC abit of a mixed bag when it comes to shows. Although it's nice they can veer so differently in tone.

This looks like a straight up horror movie.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 npiet1

@uninspiredcup: I just don't understand how they can do animation so right yet live action is terrible.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Got that CW vibe from this teaser.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

And it's cancelled

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Oh bummer.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By npiet1

@NoodleFighter said:

And it's cancelled

REALLY? My 3 year old and I really liked it even though we've only seen the first episode. I hope they atleast finish the season.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup

Dam. Pretty decent first episode as well.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

@NoodleFighter: I hope this season does not end with a cliffhanger.