Survivor man vs Man vs. Wild?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Was just watching some re runs of survivor man, and was wondering

Ot, do you like your survival shows with a British guy who goes to hotels at night, or a Canadian guy who carries his own camera equipment?

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Bear Grylls all the way. Say what you want about the show, but that guy is the real deal.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
The guy who actually does some surviving.
CrystalFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CrystalFox
Member since 2006 • 9908 Posts

I prefer Dual Survival, Dave Canterbury is bad-ass.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

They both lose.

Seriously, those shows are ridiculous.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

guy from canada(les stroud) vs guy from the sas(bear)

I saw guy from canada(les troud).

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clayron

They both lose.

metroidfood
Agreed. But Bear Gryll's show is a bit more entertaining with all the things he does.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 magnax1

They both lose.

metroidfood

How is survivor man ridiculous?

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Survivour man. Les Stroud is THE man.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dylan_11
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

They both lose.

clayron
Agreed. But Bear Gryll's show is a bit more entertaining with all the things he does.

More likely to get you killed as well.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 magnax1

Do people even know that Bear Grylls is a complete fake? He even stays in hotels at nights and has his crew plant give him food and water.

mr_poodles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mr_poodles123
Member since 2009 • 1661 Posts
Survivorman is 20X better.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clayron

More likely to get you killed as well.Dylan_11
Both shows are impractical, and both are likely to lead yo you getting killed. No one learns survival training by watching television shows. Hell, if life was as convenient and easy as Grylls and Stroud make it out to be no one would ever die in the wild. Everything you need would be within arms reach.
Alrite people, here's what it is. The simplest way to end all argument about Bear Grylls, and Les Stroud.

Formal Training:
Bear Grylls:
3 Years British Special Ops Military SAS
Trained unarmed combat
Trained desert and winter warfare
Trained combat survival, medics
Trained parachuting, signals
Trained evasive diving
Trained climbing, and explosives
Served in N. Africa Twice
YOUNGEST to scale Mt. Ama Dablam
YOUNGEST to scale Mt. Everest
Titled "Everest Mountaineer"
Leads 1st Jetski circumnavigation of UK
Made Ambassador for Princes Trust Charity
Gains a BA Hons Degree Hispanic Studies
Leads 1st team to cross unassisted the frozen North Atlantic Ocean in a raft.
Breaks record: highest dinner party ever
Dinner party on hot air ballon @ 25,000 ft.
Awarded Honorary Commission by Royal Navy
Films 13x 1 hr. shows titled Man Vs. Wild
Breaks new world record, sails powered paraglider above the summit of mt. everest.

(Highpoint: Broke back in 3 places at the end of his tour with the SAS, rehabilitated, and became youngest person ever to scale mt. everest.)

Equipment(knife, canteen, flint)

Formal Training:
Les Stroud:
Graduated College with Masters of Physics
Took 3 week survival course during college
Likes Music, cinematography, and acting
Brings approx. 50 lbs. of supplies per show
Doesn't need cameraman, films on his own
(Highpoint: spent 1 year living off of land with his wife)

Hmmmm... who all said Bear Grylls is a phony? Mind you he did all of that, while writing 3 books, recording 3 seasons of man vs. wild, and starring in a handful of full length movies. He has raised money for charities, and is a proud married father of 2.

I would have to have my better judgement doubt that when you are that well trained a cameraman with his eyes, arms, and movements occupied with recording could make such an impact.

Lastly, it's not that I dislike les stroud, occasionally he makes good points, and has useful information. However, for the most part it seems like les' episodes are TOO convenient. I've watched too many episodes where he found just what he needed in the most unlikely spaces SHORTLY after declaring the necessity. I'm sure that's how you put together a show on survival.... that is if you only went through a three week non-credit course in college, while you were studying to master in physics.(SO important in survival btw)

Oh, and one more thing, for all you **** hillbillies.... when bear grylls does things your mom and pop suggested you don't do, remember one difference... bear grylls is a man, in survival mode, ready to do whatever it takes. There's never time to stop, or be selectie in a life or death situation, and roughing it is sometimes a necessity, and not a choice. I think bear's advice is consistent on NOT PANICKING and staying forwards progressive in a survival situation.

Les Stroud..... be a good little filmmaker and hire a crew. Your camera shots need work, and it'll free some time up for you to learn some new survival techniques. Quit being "conveniently placed here for me to use on the show-man" unless you're going to change the title of your show.SmileHave a nice day!Random_User_on_Discovery_Forum_in_favor_of_Grylls

And

For me, it's Les Stroud all the way, and here's why:

1. Les is the better survivalist. He respects the environment around him, and doesn't go around wantonly damming rivers (wasting vast amounts of calories, by the way) or touting glissading (which Bear TOLD THE AUDIENCE COULD BE FATAL) as a survival skill.

2. Les has a greater burden to bear (no pun intended). Say what you want about the camera crew not helping - the simple fact that the camera guys are carrying the cameras is a LOT of help.

3. Les is in real danger. Barring a rock falling on his head, Bear will always have help on hand to whisk him away to safety. Not so for Les. If Les gets bitten by a rattlesnake or falls down a canyon, HE WILL DIE. The fact that he puts his life genuinely on the line, without the safety considerations that Bear has, makes me appreciate him all the more.

4. Les does what he does well. The reason he's never had to drag himself through the wilderness on a broken leg or somesuch is because he's smart enough not to get hurt in the first place. He studies environmentally safe (and even in some cases, aboriginal) methods instead of plowing through the wilderness like a headless chicken with a hot foot.

5. Bear is misleading. Doesn't anyone else see the irony that he stays in hotels on a series billed in his native country as "Born Survivor"? Defend him however you want, the fact that Bear has to fake things to get them done puts him on a totally different level from Les - there is no longer any reasonable comparison between the two. It would be like comparing a TV wrestler to a Roman Gladiator.

6. And if you think that all Les does is sit around and wait for help, I suggest you watch the "Boreal Forest," "Lost at Sea," and "Costa Rica" episodes.Random_User_on_Discovery_in_favor_of_Stroud

But, I think it should be noted that neither of the two are in any REAL danger. No network is going to let there cash cow take any unnecessary risk that would put the show, and their money, in danger.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

^Lets be honest, most of us watch the those shows HOPING for somethingbad will happen. Thats the real cash cow for those networks. They may not want something bad to happen, but with out th risk, we wouldn't care.

Sandpiper121PP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 Sandpiper121PP
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

Les Stroud is the real Survivor Man in my opinion! He doesn't go and lay down in a comfy bed and have a fresh meal off camera... no... instead he really goes out and does survive off the land with very limited items in realistic situations! I love his show! :)

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Eh, I find Man vs. Wild more entertaining (mostly because of the rediculous things he does), and I don't mind that he has people with him/watching.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 magnax1

I will be back tommorow to post why Bear Grylls's show is not even remotely good, because I posted this thread just so I could complain about it.

:D

Not really, but sort of.

strangeisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 strangeisland
Member since 2009 • 1153 Posts

Lol i remember making the same thread

anyways /thread

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

man vs wild is the better show to me, have all the seasons except 4 because i have no money. i found survivor man really boring. i'm agree with you, clayron 8)

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Grylls is hot and Im not even gay so he wins.

Jaguar_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaguar_Shade
Member since 2009 • 5822 Posts
I much prefer Grylls. He does cool stuff, he's informative and likeable.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

One is fake and sleeps in hotels during the night, most of the time does the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do in a survival situation, and sometimes gives advice that will kill you if you actually follow it. The other goes through so much trouble to be authentic that he hauls his own camera gear.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dylan_11

But, I think it should be noted that neither of the two are in any REAL danger. No network is going to let there cash cow take any unnecessary risk that would put the show, and their money, in danger.

clayron

Decided to cut out everything I didn't care to read.

As to this point, Les is in REAL danger. He is alone, in dangerous places. Sure he probably has a cell phone that he can use to call for help, but help would not be immediate. Depending on the location also it may not even be an option. The man came face to face with a Jaguar and was stalked by it throught the rest of the episode. No danger my ***.

Jph625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jph625
Member since 2009 • 1046 Posts

I absolutely despise Bear. He's completely faked and its been well documented that he uses a bunch of help from his crew, as well as the fact that half the time, or more, he's going back to a motel 8 to sleep. He doesn't practice safe survival and goes out of his way to put himself in danger and eat bugs and everything else that 12 year olds love to watch.

On the other hand you have surviorman, Les Stroud, who isn't nearly as popular because he does everything for real and doesn't do stupid movie-esque stunts.

Yeah...I hate Bear.

mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mattpunkgd
Member since 2007 • 2198 Posts
Dual Survival beats them both.
Jph625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jph625

I much prefer Grylls. He does cool stuff, he's informative and likeable.Jaguar_Shade

Exactly...he does cool stuff. People like him because they feel like its a movie but if they're ever in a situation like that they'll end up trying to crawl down a sheer cliff face because Bear did it.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"]But, I think it should be noted that neither of the two are in any REAL danger. No network is going to let there cash cow take any unnecessary risk that would put the show, and their money, in danger.

Dylan_11

As to this point, Les is in REAL danger. He is alone, in dangerous places. Sure he probably has a cell phone that he can use to call for help, but help would not be immediate. Depending on the location also it may not even be an option. The man came face to face with a Jaguar and was stalked by it throught the rest of the episode. No danger my ***.

Dude, it's television. No network is ever going to put their people in real and persistent danger without taking the necessary precautions, and having the required support groups in place should something happen. Les Stroud is in no more danger than any other "reality" television star that claims to brave the wilds of the Earth. FFS, its television.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Bear grylls FTW

yentlequible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yentlequible
Member since 2009 • 2620 Posts
man vs wild is way better, and much more entertaining
mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattpunkgd
Member since 2007 • 2198 Posts
Man vs wild is fake anyways. I don't like fake stuff.
Jph625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jph625

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]

[QUOTE="clayron"]But, I think it should be noted that neither of the two are in any REAL danger. No network is going to let there cash cow take any unnecessary risk that would put the show, and their money, in danger.

clayron

Dude, it's television. No network is ever going to put their people in real and persistent danger without taking the necessary precautions, and having the required support groups in place should something happen. Les Stroud is in no more danger than any other "reality" television star that claims to brave the wilds of the Earth. FFS, its television.

He's alone in the wild, how is he not in danger? Of course they probably have GPS on him or something but the people watching are in a base camp miles away, meaning they have to get to where he is if he's hurt and take care of him. If he wasn't in danger he would act like Bear and jump off of cliffs into raging water and all the other pointless things he does.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dylan_11
[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]

clayron

People die on TV. People die making movies. You can have all of the precautions in place and still die. FFS, it's not hard to die.
Jph625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jph625

[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]More likely to get you killed as well.clayron

Both shows are impractical, and both are likely to lead yo you getting killed. No one learns survival training by watching television shows. Hell, if life was as convenient and easy as Grylls and Stroud make it out to be no one would ever die in the wild. Everything you need would be within arms reach.
Alrite people, here's what it is. The simplest way to end all argument about Bear Grylls, and Les Stroud.

Formal Training:
Bear Grylls:
3 Years British Special Ops Military SAS
Trained unarmed combat
Trained desert and winter warfare
Trained combat survival, medics
Trained parachuting, signals
Trained evasive diving
Trained climbing, and explosives
Served in N. Africa Twice
YOUNGEST to scale Mt. Ama Dablam
YOUNGEST to scale Mt. Everest
Titled "Everest Mountaineer"
Leads 1st Jetski circumnavigation of UK
Made Ambassador for Princes Trust Charity
Gains a BA Hons Degree Hispanic Studies
Leads 1st team to cross unassisted the frozen North Atlantic Ocean in a raft.
Breaks record: highest dinner party ever
Dinner party on hot air ballon @ 25,000 ft.
Awarded Honorary Commission by Royal Navy
Films 13x 1 hr. shows titled Man Vs. Wild
Breaks new world record, sails powered paraglider above the summit of mt. everest.

(Highpoint: Broke back in 3 places at the end of his tour with the SAS, rehabilitated, and became youngest person ever to scale mt. everest.)

Equipment(knife, canteen, flint)

Formal Training:
Les Stroud:
Graduated College with Masters of Physics
Took 3 week survival course during college
Likes Music, cinematography, and acting
Brings approx. 50 lbs. of supplies per show
Doesn't need cameraman, films on his own
(Highpoint: spent 1 year living off of land with his wife)

Hmmmm... who all said Bear Grylls is a phony? Mind you he did all of that, while writing 3 books, recording 3 seasons of man vs. wild, and starring in a handful of full length movies. He has raised money for charities, and is a proud married father of 2.

I would have to have my better judgement doubt that when you are that well trained a cameraman with his eyes, arms, and movements occupied with recording could make such an impact.

Lastly, it's not that I dislike les stroud, occasionally he makes good points, and has useful information. However, for the most part it seems like les' episodes are TOO convenient. I've watched too many episodes where he found just what he needed in the most unlikely spaces SHORTLY after declaring the necessity. I'm sure that's how you put together a show on survival.... that is if you only went through a three week non-credit course in college, while you were studying to master in physics.(SO important in survival btw)

Oh, and one more thing, for all you **** hillbillies.... when bear grylls does things your mom and pop suggested you don't do, remember one difference... bear grylls is a man, in survival mode, ready to do whatever it takes. There's never time to stop, or be selectie in a life or death situation, and roughing it is sometimes a necessity, and not a choice. I think bear's advice is consistent on NOT PANICKING and staying forwards progressive in a survival situation.

Les Stroud..... be a good little filmmaker and hire a crew. Your camera shots need work, and it'll free some time up for you to learn some new survival techniques. Quit being "conveniently placed here for me to use on the show-man" unless you're going to change the title of your show.SmileHave a nice day!Random_User_on_Discovery_Forum_in_favor_of_Grylls

And

For me, it's Les Stroud all the way, and here's why:

1. Les is the better survivalist. He respects the environment around him, and doesn't go around wantonly damming rivers (wasting vast amounts of calories, by the way) or touting glissading (which Bear TOLD THE AUDIENCE COULD BE FATAL) as a survival skill.

2. Les has a greater burden to bear (no pun intended). Say what you want about the camera crew not helping - the simple fact that the camera guys are carrying the cameras is a LOT of help.

3. Les is in real danger. Barring a rock falling on his head, Bear will always have help on hand to whisk him away to safety. Not so for Les. If Les gets bitten by a rattlesnake or falls down a canyon, HE WILL DIE. The fact that he puts his life genuinely on the line, without the safety considerations that Bear has, makes me appreciate him all the more.

4. Les does what he does well. The reason he's never had to drag himself through the wilderness on a broken leg or somesuch is because he's smart enough not to get hurt in the first place. He studies environmentally safe (and even in some cases, aboriginal) methods instead of plowing through the wilderness like a headless chicken with a hot foot.

5. Bear is misleading. Doesn't anyone else see the irony that he stays in hotels on a series billed in his native country as "Born Survivor"? Defend him however you want, the fact that Bear has to fake things to get them done puts him on a totally different level from Les - there is no longer any reasonable comparison between the two. It would be like comparing a TV wrestler to a Roman Gladiator.

6. And if you think that all Les does is sit around and wait for help, I suggest you watch the "Boreal Forest," "Lost at Sea," and "Costa Rica" episodes.Random_User_on_Discovery_in_favor_of_Stroud

THe point you make about stroud finding things right after he says he needs them is because he's cutting the film and editing. He doesn't make you watch the hours he probably spent looking for whatever it is.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="Dylan_11"]Decided to cut out everything I didn't care to read.

Jph625

He's alone in the wild, how is he not in danger? Of course they probably have GPS on him or something but the people watching are in a base camp miles away, meaning they have to get to where he is if he's hurt and take care of him. If he wasn't in danger he would act like Bear and jump off of cliffs into raging water and all the other pointless things he does.

Why in the hell would he act like Bear were that the case? Les Stroud maybe a great survivalist but during the show he is not in any REAL danger. These shows scout the areas, contact experts, draw up trails and plans, and what have you to make sure that their investment comes back alive. Nothing is going to happen that they do not want to happen. Its television.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clayron
People die on TV. People die making movies. You can have all of the precautions in place and still die. FFS, it's not hard to die.Dylan_11
I don't remember making an argument that people do not die. But no one is going to put a guy on T.V. and say "Well, he may die, but we hope he won't. Let's watch." They take precautions to make sure the person is as safe as humanly possible given the situation.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dylan_11
[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]People die on TV. People die making movies. You can have all of the precautions in place and still die. FFS, it's not hard to die.clayron
I don't remember making an argument that people do not die. But no one is going to put a guy on T.V. and say "Well, he may die, but we hope he won't. Let's watch." They take precautions to make sure the person is as safe as humanly possible given the situation.

Precautions do not negate the dangers. With precautions people can still die, therefore they are still in REAL danger.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Man vs Wild for me. That other guy annoys me
OfficerTJHooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OfficerTJHooka
Member since 2010 • 379 Posts
i like both
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clayron
Precautions do not negate the dangers. With precautions people can still die, therefore they are still in REAL danger.Dylan_11
While precautions do not negate danger they do provide an excellent way to compensate for said dangers. Les Stroud has, by his own admission, a safety crew that stays within rescue range, whatever that is. He and his team scouts areas that would prove viable for the episode he is filming. He contacts local flora and fauna experts before entering a specific area. He has been given weapons prior to entering an area, some areas are genuinely dangerous due to local fauna. With that many precautions he is in no danger of something happening that he did not plan for, and his support staff never too far from being able to reach him should he need rescue.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dylan_11
[QUOTE="Dylan_11"]Precautions do not negate the dangers. With precautions people can still die, therefore they are still in REAL danger.clayron
While precautions do not negate danger they do provide an excellent way to compensate for said dangers. Les Stroud has, by his own admission, a safety crew that stays within rescue range, whatever that is. He and his team scouts areas that would prove viable for the episode he is filming. He contacts local flora and fauna experts before entering a specific area. He has been given weapons prior to entering an area, some areas are genuinely dangerous due to local fauna. With that many precautions he is in no danger of something happening that he did not plan for, and his support staff never too far from being able to reach him should he need rescue.

So you agree that he is still in REAL danger. Glad we cleared that up.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clayron
[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="Dylan_11"]Precautions do not negate the dangers. With precautions people can still die, therefore they are still in REAL danger.Dylan_11

That's a negative. I agree that their are dangers, I would be a fool not to. But, in no way is Les Stroud in any REAL danger; barring some unforeseen event.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Man Vs. Wild is MUCH more entertaining, Survivor Man was boring as hell last time I watched it.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dylan_11
[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="Dylan_11"][QUOTE="clayron"] While precautions do not negate danger they do provide an excellent way to compensate for said dangers. Les Stroud has, by his own admission, a safety crew that stays within rescue range, whatever that is. He and his team scouts areas that would prove viable for the episode he is filming. He contacts local flora and fauna experts before entering a specific area. He has been given weapons prior to entering an area, some areas are genuinely dangerous due to local fauna. With that many precautions he is in no danger of something happening that he did not plan for, and his support staff never too far from being able to reach him should he need rescue.

That's a negative. I agree that their are dangers, I would be a fool not to. But, in no way is Les Stroud in any REAL danger; barring some unforeseen event.

Like a Jaguar standing outside of his campsite that stalked him all the way to a local village *eyeroll.gif*
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"][QUOTE="Dylan_11"]So you agree that he is still in REAL danger. Glad we cleared that up.Dylan_11

Like a Jaguar standing outside of his campsite that stalked him all the way to a local village *eyeroll.gif*

Are you aware that Steve Irwin did similar things...and they were staged. Because it happened it doesn't make it real danger. You needto learn to take t.v. with a grain of salt.

*pats dylan on head*

For the sake of both of our time, and ending this silly ass back and forth, let's just agree to disagree.

Avatar image for the_16th_knight
the_16th_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the_16th_knight
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts
Haha, wow. Lotta heat on these posts. I have been torn between the two actually, but i like them both. I voted for Man vs. Wild because of all the military training and background for Bear (true his techniques would diffinately get me killed scaling rocks, but thats the only thing he does that i don't agree with). Survivorman on the other hand does carry his own equipment and is great as well, but some of Bears techniques on catching food and making traps seem better. The number one thing I hate about Survivorman is he doesn't show cutting open and cleaning whatever he catches because he doesn't want to gross anyone out and Bear shows it all, which in my opinion is useful knowledge to people who's never done it. Both are great though and have my respect. By the way i've never heard Bear sleeping in hotels and eating hot meals prepared for him when he's supposed to be roughing it in the woods before. Where's the evidence for that?
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dylan_11
clayron
So the old "one person did it X way so everyone does it X way" argument. Maybe you should realize that not every reality show is set up like the Hills. As for the Steve Irwin comment, he was filming when he died, I guess that still doesn't count as a dangerous situation to you though.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clayron

[QUOTE="clayron"]Dylan_11
So the old "one person did it X way so everyone does it X way" argument. Maybe you should realize that not every reality show is set up like the Hills. As for the Steve Irwin comment, he was filming when he died, I guess that still doesn't count as a dangerous situation to you though.

Are you simple? I just said that there are dangers associated with what these men do. But they take so many precautions that the chance of them encountering anything not planned for (i.e. Real dnager) is low. It is unlikely that these men will encounter anything they are not thoroughly prepared for.

Its television. Les Stroud is not alone. He just films alone. He is a great survivalist and has the skills to actually survive. But, he has a support staff and everything. He plans for everything. He knows what he is getting into and what to do in ever single environment. Yes, he may spend the night alone in the wilderness; I never argued against it. I said that he is in no real/tangible danger. Everything on that show is controlled for. Even being stalked by a jaguar - one of the bigger cats in the wild that kills things much larger than a human

Had he been in danger he would have gotten the hell out of dodge. He has done it before.

Also, Steve Irwin was not in danger. That was an accident. Steve Irwin's death has largely been attributed to his own error when dealing with the Stingray, and it has actually been referred to as "one-in-a-million" type of event.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dylan_11

clayron
All danger is REAL danger. He doesn't go into the situations trying to die. No one is arguing that. Fact is the dangers around him can kill him whether he prepares for them or not.

As for this: "Everything on that show is controlled for. Even being stalked by a jaguar - one of the bigger cats in the wild that kills things much larger than a human"

Now who is being ridiculous. When a wild animal appears (lol) the situation is out of your control.

Both shows have real danger for that matter. Man vs. Wild is mainly manufactured danger, because he himself goes into dangerous situations. The fact that he has a crew and more than likely a team of medical professionals around him lessens the danger though. Survivorman has the amount of danger that you would see in those environments. The difference being if he did get into trouble his help would not be immediate, and in situations where seconds could be the difference that is a very big deal.

I honestly don't know how you can sit there and say these men are never in real danger.

verylongeyeroll.gif

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clayron

Dylan_11
Not all danger is real danger. For example, if you head outside there is a statistical probability that you will be mauled by a monkey. However, the probability of this is so statistically low that it can not, and should not, be considered real danger. Same thing with these shows. These men put themselves in situations that are in and of themselves not safe. But they control for so much of the environment, flora and fauna, and have so much support that the likelihood of them encountering some situation(s) that wasn't planned for is statistically low.

Les Stroud's most dangerous episode was the one he actually did alone with zero support. He filmed it prior to getting the show "Survivorman". Once he was a part of a network he was given a ridiculous amount of support and assistance.

*pats Dylan on the head*

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Ultimate Survival for me.