Support for gun rights exceeds support for gun control.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23059 Posts
@deeliman said:

Can someone enlighten me on why Americans care so much about gun rights? Not trying to start anything, I'm genuinely curious why so many Americans feel the need to carry a weapon. I've never felt the need the own one and I don't know anybody who does.

It's really hard to answer this without knowing where you draw the line from "normal caring about guns" to "caring too much about guns."

I'll start by saying that there are some legitimate uses for firearms. I don't think many would argue against that, in the US or elsewhere. Nor do I think many would argue that most people shouldn't have access to firearms for those purposes with reasonable regulations/protections. The rub, of course, is what are reasonable regulations and protections?

I'm going out on a limb a bit here, but I'm guessing you're perception of "caring too much" stems from the use of the issue as a political wedge issue. We could discuss the history of that evolution, but let's just cut to the chase and say that , aside from a vocal minority, few people want the loose policies that you hear from one camp, and few want the strict policies you hear from the other camp. Most people like in a gradient somewhere in the middle. Even the creator of this thread lies somewhere in that middle gradient, as you can see from his very own responses.

You see it mostly drummed up in the political sphere to drum up Republican support because "Obama's going to take your guns away!" or to drum up Democratic support because "Republicans allowed Sandy Hook to happen!". Both are nonsense, of course, but it drums up the respective bases - and that's what most people see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
@wis3boi said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@airshocker said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I'm an American, and I ask this question all the time. The rest of the world thinks we're insane with our obsession with guns.

The vast majority of gun owners aren't obsessed with guns. But again, why should something be banned when the vast majority of gun owners don't do anything wrong?

The majority probably aren't doing anything wrong, I'm worried about the minority who are. A small amount of people using guns can still cause significant damage. We're one of the most developed countries in the world, and we still can't see the link that more guns equals more gun related deaths.

Where are the mass shootings in, say, Switzerland? Oh wait....

Switzerland is an awful example and I cringe anytime a pro-gun user brings them up in these threads. You should actually read up on what Switzerland's gun laws actually are before using them as an example.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@wis3boi said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@airshocker said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I'm an American, and I ask this question all the time. The rest of the world thinks we're insane with our obsession with guns.

The vast majority of gun owners aren't obsessed with guns. But again, why should something be banned when the vast majority of gun owners don't do anything wrong?

The majority probably aren't doing anything wrong, I'm worried about the minority who are. A small amount of people using guns can still cause significant damage. We're one of the most developed countries in the world, and we still can't see the link that more guns equals more gun related deaths.

Where are the mass shootings in, say, Switzerland? Oh wait....

Switzerland is an awful example and I cringe anytime a pro-gun user brings them up in these threads. You should actually read up on what Switzerland's gun laws actually are before using them as an example.

dumb points get met with dumb replies. I know what their laws are, and having guns in the home doesnt make crime higher like so many raving anti gun nuts think is the case. The average person in the US is so clueless to laws already in place in the US, they still think automatic weapons are passed out like candy and that 'assault weapon' is a valid term. It's just irritating reading non-arguments, maybe they'll think for a moment when they get a dumb argument back.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@thehig1 said:

@deeliman: I've always wondered that myself ?

That's because neither of you has ever gotten a taste of freedom.

ROFL

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@alim298 said:

@GazaAli said:

@thehig1 said:

ROFL

I see the muslim circle jerk has started.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Lol wtf. Penises in my PM too and I've never even had a dialogue with the guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@MlauTheDaft said:

Lol wtf. Penises in my PM too and I've never even had a dialogue with the guy.

He's sending it to everybody that I've been talking to.

Maybe he'll kick the GS coders asses into gear and force them to add spam buttons in PMs and block features.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@airshocker said:

@alim298 said:

@GazaAli said:

@thehig1 said:

ROFL

I see the muslim circle jerk has started.

Actually the fact that GazaAli totally ignored my comment tells otherwise. You see, he's a matured person. Unlike you.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

@timothyrolls said:

This is excellent! We need to take further steps and make it so everyone can openly carry whatever guns they like anywhere. Only then will our public officials truly understand the potential consequences of voting against their constituency.

You can already do that in a fair number - if not most - states. AR-15s and other long guns included. However, you stand a good chance of getting harassed by police if you do so.

I don't think any weapon restrictions of any kind should exist (which includes vehicles, such as fighter jets - anything you can think of); all violent criminals should be executed, so they certainly won't be able to own guns. ;-) This is the original intent of the 2nd Amendment: the citizenry can have whatever the government can have (which, back then, would have included cannons), keeping a solid balance of powers. It won't be "Oh noez chaos" because the other citizens and the government would stomp such people into the ground. The government can't just go psycho, because of the citizens. Winnage occurs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@alim298 said:

Actually the fact that GazaAli totally ignored my comment tells otherwise. You see, he's a matured person. Unlike you.

Or he just hasn't read it, or he did and decided not to comment on it, which doesn't tell us anything.

A matured person? I didn't come into a thread you created and write "LOL" next to something that wasn't even funny nor accurate. Your actions tell us the truth of the matter.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

That's a realization that's news worthy?

Figured it was a no-brainer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@thegerg said:

@THUMPTABLE said:

@timothyrolls said:

@airshocker said:

@timothyrolls said:

This is excellent! We need to take further steps and make it so everyone can openly carry whatever guns they like anywhere. Only then will our public officials truly understand the potential consequences of voting against their constituency.

Meh, that's going a little too far, bro.

Not really, if you want your representatives to actually represent you as opposed to doing whatever they wish then you gotta make them legitimately uneasy about stepping out of line. Furthermore if we get everyone on board with open carry being a normal thing people will really understand how there is no danger in people simply carrying guns around.

After all the more something happens the more people get used to it being a part of every day life. Sorta like handgun related crimes, it happens far more than assault weapons and thus nobody actually wants to ban them. Is it terrible? Sure, but at least it means that Americans are secure in their second amendment rights when it comes to handguns at the very least.

Lol, the US already has highest gun related murders in the western world, did you want to be no 1 in the world full stop?

"the US already has highest gun related murders in the western world"

Not if you look at the rate of gun violence instead of raw numbers.

You're right they aren't highest at the rate of gun violence but the US is still pretty poor at it compared to other first world nations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate#List

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Treflis said:

It's worthy of discussion, sure.

uNkOwnnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By uNkOwnnn
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@airshocker said:

@Treflis said:

It's worthy of discussion, sure.

No girly socipathopath who needs treament. this is worthy of discussion. (ps hope you got my big messages)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Is anybody else not able to see SNIPER's posts?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

I'm not seeing some replies, yeah.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Maybe they finally did something about his ability to post, then.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38693 Posts

@Master_Live said:

I bet some libs crashed their cars on a ditch after hearing this. Good, the only good lib is a dead lib.

lol

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@Master_Live said:

I bet some libs crashed their cars on a ditch after hearing this. Good, the only good lib is a dead lib.

None of your family are libs? Hope none of your kids turn out to be libs lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#81 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44689 Posts

Well, whenever someone brings up sensible gun legislation the gun nuts go crazy talking about "Hitler took guns away and look what happened".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@lamprey263 said:

Well, whenever someone brings up sensible gun legislation the gun nuts go crazy talking about "Hitler took guns away and look what happened".

What is sensible to you, though?

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#97 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

So? Wasn't there also a study that found that something like 30% of Americans think the sun revolves around the Earth? The general consensus doesn't always equate to "correct" or "smart".

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#98 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I agree, unless its legislation from Dianne Feinstein.

Grimdalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Grimdalus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

You should be forced to take a psychiatrist test and have a criminal background check being able to own a gun.