South Dakota becomes first state to let teachers carry guns in classrooms

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"] If it is really that easy to disarm someone and take the weapon for yourself, then why didn't anyone do that to the Sandy Hook shooter?mmwmwmmwmwmm

Whoever said anything about disarming the teacher? You think students won't look in a teacher's desk while they're out of the room?

Do you really think a teacher would leave a gun in his desk while he was outside of the room?

Possibly. There's not going to be much reason to, say, carry their gun with them as they use the bathroom.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

If a kid steals a gun from a teacher and shoots people with it I want to be known as the guy who called it first.

Leejjohno

Arming students would end up being the next proposal.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Wow what really makes this great is the fact that the actual teachers association are against this...
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#105 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
It's South Dakota
Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts

It's South Dakota.  There's only like 2 schools and 3 teachers in the whole state.  And the guns are probably to fend off bears.sonicare
LOL.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

A lot of laughs in this thread. :lol: 

I'm pretty indifferent about this whole legal decision.  I do think it was too big of a reaction to such an irregular event.  However, if properly executed I don't think it would be a disaster; as in proper training maybe even a 6 month periodic course to inssure the rationality of the teachers who choose to be armed like somebody stated earlier. 

Of course you run the risk of teachers being irresponsible and having a kid retreive their gun, but you can eliminate that possiblity by having a safe or some real security to make sure the weapon is out of reach.  I don't know, perhaps a safety room on campus where the guns can be stored... lol, like I said I think this is a bit rash, but if that's the measure they want to take then that's fine just make sure it's imposed properly and isn't adding more harm than good.

This is South Dakota though, if this was being enforced in say Southern California, that would be an ugly sight to behold.

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"]Do you really think a teacher would leave a gun in his desk while he was outside of the room?thegerg

Possibly. There's not going to be much reason to, say, carry their gun with them as they use the bathroom.

Of course there is, are you serious?

You'd be more crazy to believe there is no chance of this happening.

mmwmwmmwmwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 mmwmwmmwmwmm
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts

[QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Whoever said anything about disarming the teacher? You think students won't look in a teacher's desk while they're out of the room?

worlock77

Do you really think a teacher would leave a gun in his desk while he was outside of the room?

You have already given a reason: to keep students from stealing it from the teacher's desk while he's gone.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Let the pistol whipping begin. 

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

It scares the S*** out of he how many people make decisions on politics based on emotions. There is hard evidence about the effects of gun control on crime rates, but I have yet to see any posted. People believe what they want to believe.... 

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

What if a teacher goes crazy?

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#113 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts
That's fvcking stupid. Rich3232
Couldn't have said it better myself.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

that's rough, in my day, they just sent us to the corner when we misbehaved.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#118 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

that's rough, in my day, they just sent us to the corner when we misbehaved.

mrbojangles25

South Dakota doesn't practice corporal punishment. They don't believe in that old addage "spare the rod and spoil the child"

But a gun.. That bridges the generation gap quite nicely.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Oh man, I remember some of my teachers. Possibly the last people on the planet I would entrust with a gun.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

It scares the S*** out of he how many people make decisions on politics based on emotions. There is hard evidence about the effects of gun control on crime rates, but I have yet to see any posted. People believe what they want to believe.... 

Jacobistheman

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota,Utah and North Dakota consistantly show up as the safest states in the country. All of those states have pretty lax gun laws with the harshest probably be Minnesota because it requires a permit to have assault weapons. I think its odd how this is always glossed over when the discussion of gun control comes up. All of the attention seems to be directed towards how dangerous the south is with its gun laws....completely disregarding the safest areas of the control with incredibly lax gun laws.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#121 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

cant wait for one of those teachers to blow their tops off with stress, then we will see what happeans.

Maybe a teacher might see kids playing guns and think its real so the teacher will shoot the kids

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Yeah we have to prevent those 10 deaths with school shootings a year on average out of the 75 million students in school... We might as well have kids driven in tanks now too, just to prevent possible deaths from car accidents.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"]Do you really think a teacher would leave a gun in his desk while he was outside of the room?mmwmwmmwmwmm

You have already given a reason: to keep students from stealing it from the teacher's desk while he's gone.

Doubtful. Someone carrying a gun around on school grounds, no matter what their reason, is an unnecessary distraction, to say the least. Chances are any teacher who has a gun in school is going to keep it in a lockbox in their desk. Not a foolproof measure by any means.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mmwmwmmwmwmm"] You have already given a reason: to keep students from stealing it from the teacher's desk while he's gone.thegerg

Doubtful. Someone carrying a gun around on school grounds, no matter what their reason, is an unnecessary distraction, to say the least. Chances are any teacher who has a gun in school is going to keep it in a lockbox in their desk. Not a foolproof measure by any means.

"Doubtful" No, not doubtful. Not at all. That reason ("to keep students from stealing it from the teacher's desk while he's gone") certainly does exist, don't be silly. "Chances are any teacher who has a gun in school is going to keep it in a lockbox in their desk." On what do you base that assumption?

I base that assumption on logic. I know how easily children can get distracted and/or frightened.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#127 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44680 Posts
I think it's a bad idea, mainly that students are always playing pranks on teachers of some kind, not necessarily mean ones but they're always plotting something and they're aware of their windows to be sneaky. So say the guns are kept in a desk, well when I was a kid we used to do stuff when teachers weren't looking like swap desks between two different teachers in different classrooms. Once a kid got into the teachers desk to swap her tea out with PMS tea. And on occasion I hear stories of how students do stuff like drop LSD in the teachers coffee. Kids are always pushing buttons. And if the teacher has it on their hip in a holster, is that safe? I mean teachers walk between aisles of desks and student can reach out and grab it off the holster if they were determined, or at least try with the opportunity being there. Or worse, lots of times students are violent toward teachers, how's a "shot him because I feared for my life" kind of story going to play out. And sometimes students can be really difficult, mean, and push teachers to their limits with stress, pushing them to a nervous breakdown, saw it many times myself; is that who we want carrying guns? I personally think guns in school isn't an inherent bad idea, but it shouldn't be teachers carrying them. They could acquire a police liaison officer, many schools do it even prior to the latest shootings that have pushed towards guns at school.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I'm not sure, if there absolutely have to be guns in the school I would rather have educated teachers carrying them as opposed to rent a cop mall security guards.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]Needs moar guns!mmwmwmmwmwmm
Please explain how you stop a killer with a gun if you don't have a gun. I realize you don't have an answer to this, but you seem so smug that I just want to make you look stupid.

Sarcasm ahole..
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Teachers able to carry guns... hmmm nah, this has "bad idea" written all over it.
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Yeah, because teacher will never lose their minds....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#133 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Countdown to "teacher shooting student incident" in 10....9....

Seriously, this is not a good idea. If a school wants to hire armed security, I would be okay with that. A classroom can sometimes be a very tense place based on some subject material, and there can be volatile students. A bad situation in a small classroom isn't made better by the presence of a gun.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Seriously, this is not a good idea. If a school wants to hire armed security, I would be okay with that. A classroom can sometimes be a very tense place based on some subject material, and there can be volatile students. A bad situation in a small classroom isn't made better by the presence of a gun.

jimkabrhel

I've been in arguments where a gun was present in the room. Amazingly, I've never been shot at.

Believe it or not, the presence of a firearm doesn't cause someone to grow horns and worship the devil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#135 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

UnknownSniper65

I've been in arguments where a gun was present in the room. Amazingly, I've never been shot at.

Believe it or not, the presence of a firearm doesn't cause someone to grow horns and worship the devil.

No, of course it doesn't, but it does present an instrument in a confined area than can be dangerous. Most armed teacher would not ever use their weapon in such a fashion, but just as there are mass shootings, there will be incidents. 

Does the teacher have the weapon on his or her person, or is it kept in the room in a secure fashion? If it's kept in a secure fashion, how could it be used in a situation where there are second to decide? If it's not kept securely, how can students be kept from accessing it?

There are too many unknowns for this to be a useful solution.

As I said previously, it's better for schools to hire armed security guards who are trained not only with firearms but also dangerous situations, than to have teachers carry.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#136 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

This just baffles me.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#137 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

No, of course it doesn't, but it does present an instrument in a confined area than can be dangerous. Most armed teacher would not ever use their weapon in such a fashion, but just as there are mass shootings, there will be incidents. 

Does the teacher have the weapon on his or her person, or is it kept in the room in a secure fashion? If it's kept in a secure fashion, how could it be used in a situation where there are second to decide? If it's not kept securely, how can students be kept from accessing it?

There are too many unknowns for this to be a useful solution.

As I said previously, it's better for schools to hire armed security guards who are trained not only with firearms but also dangerous situations, than to have teachers carry.

It is unnecesary.. We are talking about 10 deaths a year in a pool of 75 million students in the United States. If this is freaking the people the fvck out how are you able to go outside when the flu this year alone has claimed thousands?  Yes these events are awful, but we have many other awful events that claim far more lives a year than school shootings.. 

So the chances of you getting killed in a school shooting is something around .0000013%..