JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

He dropped a new album out of nowhere. Apparently, that's how he releases from now on.

He also dropped a video as well.

It's quite disturbing. In it, it reenacts the horrific Las Vegas shooting showing the shooter firing from the MGM with police scattering trying to get to him in his room. At the end of the video, there are messages and links to vote for gun control. It's the only politically charged song on the album. It honestly doesn't fit well into the album if you ask me, considering the title is Music to be Murdered By, and has several songs with him rapping about killing people.

Anyway, I've only listened to the album once, and with every Eminem album he drops, it takes several listenings from me until I can formulate a good enough opinion, but so far, it's definitely better than Revival and maybe better than Kamikaze. I actually should revisit all of his albums and make a new ranked list to see where this fits.

Anyone else listened to it yet?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

He dropped a new album out of nowhere. Apparently, that's how he releases from now on.

He also dropped a video as well.

It's quite disturbing. In it, it reenacts the horrific Las Vegas shooting showing the shooter firing from the MGM with police scattering trying to get to him in his room. At the end of the video, there are messages and links to vote for gun control. It's the only politically charged song on the album. It honestly doesn't fit well into the album if you ask me, considering the title is Music to be Murdered By, and has several songs with him rapping about killing people.

Anyway, I've only listened to the album once, and with every Eminem album he drops, it takes several listenings from me until I can formulate a good enough opinion, but so far, it's definitely better than Revival and maybe better than Kamikaze. I actually should revisit all of his albums and make a new ranked list to see where this fits.

Anyone else listened to it yet?

That's is the only thing I've heard about the album.

How is the album compared to his earlier work? I haven't really listened to Eminem since Encore album years ago.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

That video and song did not have the emotional impact I was expecting it to have, and therefore it almost came off exploitative in a sense.

Rapping from the perspective of the shooter was also an odd choice if you ask me.

Anyway, I never really enjoyed Eminem (or pretty much any mainstream rapper in the last 25 years), so I am probably being overly critical.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JustPlainLucas

@horgen said:

How is the album compared to his earlier work? I haven't really listened to Eminem since Encore album years ago.

I'll always enjoy his earlier ones more, Slim Shady LP through Eminem Show more. That was Eminem at his most fun. Encore was when I started liking him less, which was around the time he lost his best friend Proof. Relapse, he changed his entire persona and adopted that weird accent voice, and Recovery he started going more along the lines of pop. The Marshal Mathers LP 2 was about as close to the old Eminem that we'll ever get, but there were different changes to his style. He started using more complex rhyme schemes, varied his cadences more often and really started rapping fast. That's the Eminem we have now. His technical and metaphorical skills have greatly improved since then, but IMO, he'll never be as entertaining as his 90s Shady persona.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@horgen said:

I'll always enjoy his earlier ones more, Slim Shady LP through Eminem Show more. That was Eminem at his most fun. Encore was when I started liking him less, which was around the time he lost his best friend Proof. Relapse, he changed his entire persona and adopted that weird accent voice, and Recovery he started going more along the lines of pop. The Marshal Mathers LP 2 was about as close to the old Eminem that we'll ever get, but there were different changes to his style. He started using more complex rhyme schemes, varied his cadences more often and really started rapping fast. That's the Eminem we have now. His technical and metaphorical skills have greatly improved since then, but IMO, he'll never be as entertaining as his 90s Shady persona.

That has been more or less my opinion as well.

Hmm I still think I should give his albums after Encore one or two listening.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Eminem recently went all anti-social (similar to Deadmaus5) and Nick Cannon & MGK have been getting on his case last month when Eminem release a new music video that shows he's racist and his old friend 50 Cent came to the rescue. Most Rappers don't want to deal with him anymore. Still can't believe Nick Cannon tried to diss Em for raising his niece since her parents hit down-low. I used to like Eminem when I was still in high school and stop listening to him cause their are other White Rappers I like back then and 8 Miles movie/Album was the last thing I associated with him.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@davillain-: How did the music video show he was racist?!?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@vfighter said:

@davillain-: How did the music video show he was racist?!?

I haven't check it out yet, I only heard there's a beef between Em & Nick Cannon regarding Em's behavior. I'm on Twitter, so it's how I keep up with most of the media crap nowadays.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@vfighter: How is he a racist??? What a racist thing to say!

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I used to like Eminem but not so much anymore. I heard Lupe is coming back with a new album, I am actually more excited about that :) . Personally, I like Lupe more than Em.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Good project!! this is probably his best work since the marshall mathers LP. The darkness track is actually one of my least favorites on the album tho it was lame, He did a really good job on the features on this project tho.

highlight tracks for me

Premonition(intro), thats one hell of an intro, destroyed, he used the opening track to show off lol

I will, slaughterhouse destroyed this track and em ended it on the highest note. Very impressive lyrically all around.

You gon' learn, classic em and royce, bad meets evil vibes, solid

Yah Yah , black thought and Q tip... awesome

Lock it up, Anderson .Pakk killed that track and em set the bar still..

Those kinda nights, this one is more goofy/club song, but it reminded me of the old goofy eminem show days, love this track

Gotta give it to em, he about to be 50 years old and still lyrically destroying most rappers in the game, Hes not in my top 10 tho, em used to really impress me back in the day, then he fell off, started trying to make more radio friendly features, too many rhianna features... This project tho and kamikaze are both steps back in the right direction. Good on Em

But em is already famous, gets a lot of attention no matter what, truth is there are many rappers just as talented that don't get the attention they deserve and the radio seem to keep the hip hop scene dumbed down and is no help to lyrical/conscious rappers for the most part.

Wish RA got more love lol

Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@davillain- said:

Eminem recently went all anti-social (similar to Deadmaus5) and Nick Cannon & MGK have been getting on his case last month when Eminem release a new music video that shows he's racist and his old friend 50 Cent came to the rescue. Most Rappers don't want to deal with him anymore. Still can't believe Nick Cannon tried to diss Em for raising his niece since her parents hit down-low. I used to like Eminem when I was still in high school and stop listening to him cause their are other White Rappers I like back then and 8 Miles movie/Album was the last thing I associated with him.

Eminem already apologized for it back in 2003. The rap dates back to 1988, when he was 16, after he broke up with his black girlfriend and made a diss track with racist lyrics about black girls. When the rap surfaced in 2003, he apologized for it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JustPlainLucas

@jeezers said:

Wish RA got more love lol

Loading Video...

Yeah, I do love R.A., but the thing about him is him being overlooked and underground is pretty much his stick. I don't think he'd work as well with a fraction of the exposure Eminem gets.

@Jag85 said:
@davillain- said:

Eminem already apologized for it back in 2003. The rap dates back to 1988, when he was 16, after he broke up with his black girlfriend and made a diss track with racist lyrics about black girls. When the rap surfaced in 2003, he apologized for it.

Yeah, seriously. I don't know what Nick was doing when he tried to bring that back up. Seriously, just made Nick out to be a much larger troll than he already was.

By the way, anyone who feels that they can label someone racist for something they said almost 30 years ago needs to learn how to forgive. Young people make mistakes all the time, and it's CLEARLY evident that Eminem has more than made up for his mistake.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

RA the Rugged Man, Eyedea(RIP), Benefit, DZK, + El-P - My all time favorite white rappers list. I used to be an Em fan but nowadays I think he has fallen off a bit, especially in terms of Wordplay.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

i'm struggling a bit with that darkness track. at the end he says something along the lines of don't try and look for a motive there isn't one but the hook throughout is "i don't want to be alone in the darkness." doesn't add up to me, maybe i missed something. it fell a little bit flat with me. didn't find it particularly deep or moving despite the subject matter or moody vocal.

i like the godzilla track on the album. the last bit of the last verse (2m56s in) is a serious how-in-the-hell-has-he-done-that moment

Loading Video...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JustPlainLucas

@Macutchi said:

i'm struggling a bit with that darkness track. at the end he says something along the lines of don't try and look for a motive there isn't one but the hook throughout is "i don't want to be alone in the darkness." doesn't add up to me, maybe i missed something. it fell a little bit flat with me. didn't find it particularly deep or moving despite the subject matter or moody vocal.

i like the godzilla track on the album. the last bit of the last verse (2m56s in) is a serious how-in-the-hell-has-he-done-that moment

Loading Video...

That part was crazy, but it's actually being done a lot on Youtube these days with really fast rap. There are actually people even faster than Eminem believe it or not.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Macutchi

@JustPlainLucas said:
@Macutchi said:

Loading Video...

That part was crazy, but it's actually being done a lot on Youtube these days with really fast rap. There are actually people even faster than Eminem believe it or not.

really? is it still intelligible? i can still tell what he's saying despite the pace. i can't imagine you can get faster than that and still understand it!

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@Macutchi: check out rittz, twista,Chris Rivers, and tech 9. https://youtu.be/5_Hae6r0DAI

https://youtu.be/OltoBWuxnDM

https://youtu.be/9zEGeZnRswM twistas verse on world wide choppas dope

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Macutchi
@jeezers said:

https://youtu.be/9zEGeZnRswM twistas verse on world wide choppas dope