smoking should be illegal

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AngelsFan32
Member since 2006 • 2179 Posts

I just saw this show and on it they said that if somebody smokes somewhere and then they leave, most of the harmful chemicals are still there and can still harm people who are there even days after. So if you go into a hotel room where somebody smoked, you breath in all of those chemicals and if your parents smoke, you breath them in all the time cause you can get the chemicals off their clothes, or if they smoke in the house, you basically breath them in all the time. These aren't joke chemicals either, they're the ones that really screw you up. Why are ciggarettes not illegal, yet others things that shouldn't be are?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
walking your dog should be illegal. they crap everywhere
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts

In that case, free will should be abolished

walking your dog should be illegal. they crap everywhereweezyfb
and corks shouldbe universally shoved up the anuses of dogs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

So if you go into a hotel room where somebody smoked

AngelsFan32
A) Go get a smoke free hotel room B) if properly vented, not an issue C) Cars should be illegal.
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Id be more concerned about smog and air pollution in general than I would be about smoke residue and such.

AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AngelsFan32
In that case, free will should be abolishedsuper_mario_128
They're taking away my free will to live a healthy life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]In that case, free will should be abolishedAngelsFan32

you can't use your "free will" to take away someone else's rights.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]In that case, free will should be abolishedAngelsFan32

You have the free will to walk away from 2nd hand smoke.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 weezyfb

[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"]In that case, free will should be abolishedCommanderShiro

You have the free will to walk away from 2nd hand smoke.

you have the right to not be around them.
AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AngelsFan32
[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"][QUOTE="super_mario_128"]In that case, free will should be abolishedJandurin

Okay, but marijuana is illegal, so it's not like it would be a stretch for the government to make cigarettes illegal.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
It's probably a really tiny risk. If you want to complain about damaging people's lives, turn off your computer - you're probably doing much more harm through the pollutants released in powering your PC, TV, console etc. than a smoker is doing an hour after leaving a hotel room.
AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AngelsFan32
It's probably a really tiny risk. If you want to complain about damaging people's lives, turn off your computer - you're probably doing much more harm through the pollutants released in powering your PC, TV, console etc. than a smoker is doing an hour after leaving a hotel room.jimmyjammer69
No, it wasn't a small risk at all. The levels of benzene in the air were very high, even after the person left.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 super_mario_128
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="AngelsFan32"]They're taking away my free will to live a healthy life.AngelsFan32

Okay, but marijuana is illegal, so it's not like it would be a stretch for the government to make cigarettes illegal.

While we're at it, let's make alcohol and cars illegal. Plus the use of fossil fuels. Actually, that last one isn't such a bad idea.
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

I just saw this show and on it they said that if somebody smokes somewhere and then they leave, most of the harmful chemicals are still there and can still harm people who are there even days after. So if you go into a hotel room where somebody smoked, you breath in all of those chemicals and if your parents smoke, you breath them in all the time cause you can get the chemicals off their clothes, or if they smoke in the house, you basically breath them in all the time. These aren't joke chemicals either, they're the ones that really screw you up. Why are ciggarettes not illegal, yet others things that shouldn't be are?

AngelsFan32

So you dont mind breathing in all the toxins that come out all the cars in the world? Cars will mess you up more than a little cig.... plus i smoke organic cigs.... no additives....Boyakasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="AngelsFan32"]They're taking away my free will to live a healthy life.AngelsFan32

It was a different time when marijuana was made illegal.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts

there is a big difference between cigs and pot...mainly the industry and lobbies behind cigs...if the government banned cigs it'd be losing a lot of tax money and would create the biggest illegal market in america....
3aNkabot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 3aNkabot
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts
I do agree smoking should be illegal.
AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AngelsFan32

[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"]

bsman00

So you dont mind breathing in all the toxins that come out all the cars in the world? Cars will mess you up more than a little cig.... plus i smoke organic cigs.... no additives....Boyakasha

They already proved things like American Spirit cigarettes were just as bad. You're still inhaling smoke.
AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AngelsFan32
[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] you can't use your "free will" to take away someone else's rights.super_mario_128

While we're at it, let's make alcohol and cars illegal. Plus the use of fossil fuels. Actually, that last one isn't such a bad idea.

I say if one is illegal, make them all illegal, so yeah, even though you were being sarcastic, I would say make alcohol illegal.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 super_mario_128
You're still inhaling smoke. AngelsFan32
Air pollution. Should we make air illegal?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] you can't use your "free will" to take away someone else's rights.fat_rob

there is a big difference between cigs and pot...mainly the industry and lobbies behind cigs...if the government banned cigs it'd be losing a lot of tax money and would create the biggest illegal market in america....

I don't at all believe there would be a big illegal market in cigarettes. I don't think the banning of tobacco would have much of a backlash at all aside from the whole principle behind it.
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"][QUOTE="bsman00"]

[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"]

They already proved things like American Spirit cigarettes were just as bad. You're still inhaling smoke.

i didnt say they are better.... but knowing that a normal cig. has up to 3000 chemicals... and 40-60 are proven to cause cancer... and american spirits have no chemicals at all......

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
I say if one is illegal, make them all illegal, so yeah, even though you were being sarcastic, I would say make alcohol illegal.AngelsFan32
haha, this country already showed what it would do once when they tried to make alcohol illegal, and that was before we were all connected
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 quadraleap

MJ is not illegal due to health risks...lol.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fat_rob
the amount of money we'd waste on enforcing a ban on cigs and alcohol is more than reason enough to not have them be illegal...you think the war on drugs is expensive, it would increase 10 fold if we made cigs and alcohol illegal...not to mention all over crowding in prisons already...such a dumb idea...
AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AngelsFan32

[QUOTE="AngelsFan32"][QUOTE="bsman00"]

bsman00

i didnt say they are better.... but knowing that a normal cig. has up to 3000 chemicals... and 40-60 are proven to cause cancer... and american spirits have no chemicals at all......

It still has tar and a **** load of free base nicotine, which is the worst kind. It has more than Marlboro or Camel. The whole chemical thing doesn't matter, it's still gonna **** you up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
the amount of money we'd waste on enforcing a ban on cigs and alcohol is more than reason enough to not have them be illegal...you think the war on drugs is expensive, it would increase 10 fold if we made cigs and alcohol illegal...not to mention all over crowding in prisons already...such a dumb idea...fat_rob
it just wouldn't be possible.
AngelsFan32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AngelsFan32
[QUOTE="quadraleap"][QUOTE="AngelsFan32"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] you can't use your "free will" to take away someone else's rights.

Thanks, I didn't know that.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jimmyjammer69

you can't use your "free will" to take away someone else's rights.fat_rob

It is at least partly in Britain.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 quadraleap

[QUOTE="quadraleap"][QUOTE="AngelsFan32"]Okay, but marijuana is illegal, so it's not like it would be a stretch for the government to make cigarettes illegal. AngelsFan32

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Assuming you are being sarcastic, why would they ban cigs if they dont alter the mind like MJ does?

edit: if you were not being sarcastic...opps.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="fat_rob"]the amount of money we'd waste on enforcing a ban on cigs and alcohol is more than reason enough to not have them be illegal...you think the war on drugs is expensive, it would increase 10 fold if we made cigs and alcohol illegal...not to mention all over crowding in prisons already...such a dumb idea...Jandurin

I don't think a cigarette ban would be difficult to enforce at all. Alcohol, however, would be really tough. We'd probably save a lot in health care expenses too in countries with nationalised health care.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 weezyfb

[QUOTE="fat_rob"]Okay, but marijuana is illegal, so it's not like it would be a stretch for the government to make cigarettes illegal. jimmyjammer69

alchohal and tobacco is worse for you than weed. weed is illegal because we havent found a way to tax it.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

[QUOTE="fat_rob"] MJ is not illegal due to health risks...lol. weezyfb

It is at least partly in Britain.

alchohal and tobacco is worse for you than weed. weed is illegal because we havent found a way to tax it.

It would be ridiculously easy to tax if legalised. I like to think weed is illegal because of its ability to cause mental health problems. Don't get me wrong, I think this article blows the problem out of proportion, but it's definitelya real problem.

fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fat_rob
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="fat_rob"]the amount of money we'd waste on enforcing a ban on cigs and alcohol is more than reason enough to not have them be illegal...you think the war on drugs is expensive, it would increase 10 fold if we made cigs and alcohol illegal...not to mention all over crowding in prisons already...such a dumb idea...jimmyjammer69

I don't think a cigarette ban would be difficult to enforce at all. Alcohol, however, would be really tough. We'd probably save a lot in health care expenses too in countries with nationalised health care.

how would it be easy to enforce when there are already millions of users and a global infrastructure already in place. It is fairly simple for drugs to get across our border already, tacking on cigs to the illegal trade would compound the problem for the government exponentially...not to mention growing tobacco is easier than growing pot...so there would be more home grown stuff too...
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 quadraleap

weed is illegal because we havent found a way to tax it.

weezyfb

More like a way to control it. Im sure they could tax it easily if they distributed it...but it would be opening a can of worms.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
If people want to die at the age of 60 instead of 70 let them. If they want to go around everywhere panting because they cannot get a proper breath, they gain weight and have to be addicted to this little cigarette which they now have to base their entire day around let them. I think you could consider this a type of population control.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"][QUOTE="Jandurin"] it just wouldn't be possible.fat_rob

how would it be easy to enforce when there are already millions of users and a global infrastructure already in place. It is fairly simple for drugs to get across our border already, tacking on cigs to the illegal trade would compound the problem for the government exponentially...not to mention growing tobacco is easier than growing pot...so there would be more home grown stuff too...

Lets try it out here in Europe. We're getting closer every year. People were always saying "you haven't anticipated the ****storm that'll result from x" with x first being a ban on smoking at railway stations, then in pubs, next in the workplace and finally, in all public structures. The result so far has been no more than a few polite complaints and stern letters to the editor. We're already that close to an outright ban on commercial sale of cigarettes and maybe I'm being presumptive, but do you really see the majority of people finding themselves a dealer so they can smoke tobacco? I don't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
do you really see the majority of people finding themselves a dealer so they can smoke tobacco? I don't.jimmyjammer69
I would totally be a cigarette dealer :lol:
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 quadraleap
If people want to die at the age of 60 instead of 70 let them. If they want to go around everywhere panting because they cannot get a proper breath, they gain weight and have to be addicted to this little cigarette which they now have to base their entire day around let them. I think you could consider this a type of population control. ferrari2001
Smoking and gain weight? Gaining weight usually accompanies quitting smoking unless a new lifestyle is adopted. Furthermore, lots of people have some crutch or another....if its not smoking its something else. I see and sorta agree with your population control concept.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Furthermore, lots of people have some crutch or another....if its not smoking its something else.quadraleap
I'm perfect, kthx.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]If people want to die at the age of 60 instead of 70 let them. If they want to go around everywhere panting because they cannot get a proper breath, they gain weight and have to be addicted to this little cigarette which they now have to base their entire day around let them. I think you could consider this a type of population control. quadraleap
Smoking and gain weight? Gaining weight usually accompanies quitting smoking unless a new lifestyle is adopted. Furthermore, lots of people have some crutch or another....if its not smoking its something else. I see and sorta agree with your population control concept.

No I work in a gas station and sell cigs. A large percentage of my buyers are overweight could be coincidence I guess, they gasp for air, they have terrible overall health. There are not many things that are worse for you than regularly smoking cigs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
There are not many things that are worse for you than regularly smoking cigs. ferrari2001
Especially as you get older. As a kid, it didn't phase me too much, but these days, if I smoke cigarettes for a night, I feel it for the next 3 days D=
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fat_rob

[QUOTE="fat_rob"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] I don't think a cigarette ban would be difficult to enforce at all. Alcohol, however, would be really tough. We'd probably save a lot in health care expenses too in countries with nationalised health care.jimmyjammer69

Lets try it out here in Europe. We're getting closer every year. People were always saying "you haven't anticipated the ****storm that'll result from x" with x first being a ban on smoking at railway stations, then in pubs, next in the workplace and finally, in all public structures. The result so far has been no more than a few polite complaints and stern letters to the editor. We're already that close to an outright ban on commercial sale of cigarettes and maybe I'm being presumptive, but do you really see the majority of people finding themselves a dealer so they can smoke tobacco? I don't.

considering how addictive the stuff is and how many people smoke, if only 35% of people find dealers, that still would cause a HUGE problem for governments in Europe and America...and there is a difference between banning the public use of something and banning it outright...it's against the law to blast obscene music in public places in some parts of America...but I can still buy an Eminem album and play it my room on my laptop...
pulica_muistul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 pulica_muistul
Member since 2005 • 404 Posts

This discussion is pointless. Cigarettes will never become illegal in our lifetime. And I'm a happy guy 'cause I smoke like a chimney. Hey, move to the UK, smoking's illegal inside any building.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jimmyjammer69
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] do you really see the majority of people finding themselves a dealer so they can smoke tobacco? I don't.Jandurin

I can see it now... Jandurin Escobar sitting in the middle of heaps of cash, surrounded by scantily clad women, twitching snuff-heads and nervous looking men in tweed desperately packing their briar pipes with cherry cavendish.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"] do you really see the majority of people finding themselves a dealer so they can smoke tobacco? I don't.jimmyjammer69

I can see it now... Jandurin Escobar sitting in the middle of heaps of cash, surrounded by scantily clad women, twitching snuff-heads and nervous looking men in tweed desperately packing their briar pipes with cherry cavendish.

oh my god, i want this so bad. C'mon governments! MAKE A MISTAKE, I dare ya!
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Yeah, I'm all for the government eliminating people's rights one at a time. Great idea!!!
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 quadraleap

No I work in a gas station and sell cigs. A large percentage of my buyers are overweight could be coincidence I guess, they gasp for air, they have terrible overall health. There are not many things that are worse for you than regularly smoking cigs. ferrari2001

The weight of your customers could depend on allot of variables, (clientele, demographics, location, etc) but being a long term smoker, etc I have not noticed a trend in weight and smoking in my environments. I myself am not overweight, but I do expect that when I make efforts to quit, that if I do not have a plan in place smoking will be replaced with something potentially unhealthy.No arguments from me that smoking is horrible on a persons health and just as hard to quit as crack, so Ive heard.

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

You'll have to pry my smokes from my yellow, dead hands.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

just as hard to quit as crack, so Ive heard.

quadraleap
doesn't make sense, as that's technically not physically addicting. I guess the almost instantaneous high that it produces makes it very wanted by the brain, though.