Should women in the United States be required to register for Selective Service, better known to some as the military draft?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Should women in the United States be required to register for Selective Service, better known to some as the military draft? (47 votes)

Yes, if men have to do it, then women should have to do it, since equality and all. 83%
No, keep it exclusive to men, like it has always been. 15%

Link

Not too long ago, the US military got rid of rules barring women from entering direct combat jobs. Prior to this decision, women were restricted to support jobs in the military that normally didn't involve direct contact with enemy forces during a traditional war. Since the ban was lifted, women have graduated from the US Army's elite Ranger School and several women have enlisted or commissioned into the previously-banned job positions.

Rep. Duncan Hunter, who was against the decision to allow women to fill those combat positions, filed an amendment to the annual defense authorization bill that would require women to register for the Selective Service. His goal was to start a discussion about women in those combat positions and he voted against his own amendment. Originally, women were excluded from Selective Service due to the fact that they were barred from several jobs that would be required in the event of a draft.

However, the amendment ended up getting a majority vote by a slim margin. In order to go ahead, it has to get a full house vote and make it through the Senate. If it is ultimately passed, it will result in women having to register in America for the first time in history, meaning if it was determined that we had to reinstate the draft for any reason, women would be subject to it as well.

Thoughts? Should women be required to register, since they are no longer prohibited from holding combat jobs? Or should we keep it male only, like it has been for the past few decades?

Obviously, some people think we should get rid of the Selective Service altogether, since it is highly unlikely we will ever draft again. However, until the Selective Service disappears, many may say that it is a fair question of whether or not women should register.

• 
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

No one should be required.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I think it's better to let people choose to be a soldier rather then force them to be.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

I actually added the option to get rid of it altogether as the third option since I knew people would type what you posted, but for some reason it didn't pop up when I hit post and only the first two options came up. Not the first glitch I had posting a topic.

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

We should just not have it but until then yes.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Yes women should be required to register for selective services. Equal rights to all. For all of the people saying no one should be required to enroll in selective services? WHAT? Please explain this line of thinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

People who are saying that it shouldn't exist can summarily be categorized as the spoiled hell-spawn of the modern age. These people are the very reason why the west is in decline.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dave123321

@jointed: why tho

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Yes, women and girls should also be required to register.

And the age at which registration is compulsory should be reduced too---perhaps to as low as 12.

Imminent war with Russia and China means that the US military will soon need all the man/woman/child-power that it can possibly wring out of the population.

Hell, if the kiddies in Ukraine can be made to crawl through smoke-filled tunnels and learn to disassemble and reassemble rifles, then I don't see why the kiddies in America can't be made to do the same. :-)

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

@dave123321 said:

A country must be able to defend itself. It's actually very logical.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dave123321

@jointed: how does this help in any way to defend ourselves

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dave123321

Just seems like a relic of a bygone era that is being used to prove a point

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321

Tho I hope it passes and so the guys plan backfires

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

yes, and I also believe we should have a compulsory two years of service after high school

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Solaryellow

@jointed said:

People who are saying that it shouldn't exist can summarily be categorized as the spoiled hell-spawn of the modern age. These people are the very reason why the west is in decline.

Can you tell me the last time the United States went to war when our country (GOVERNMENT actually) was minding its business and was suddenly attacked w/o provoking or interfering in the business of another nation? The last time the draft was used was because our government had to interfere in South East Asia and the Domino Effect propaganda was used. Remember Johnson making some b.s. speech how our boys should not be fighting because their boys should be fighting?

I remember many years ago when I was enraged knowing boys were fleeing to Europe and Canada in order to remove themselves from fighting in Vietnam. As I grew older and looked at the situation objectively, I couldn't be enraged any longer.

The West is in decline because of our leaders.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@dave123321 said:

@jointed: how does this help in any way to defend ourselves

We have a great standing military. This is true. But we should always have the ability to recruit whoever(whoever=U.S. citizens) is needed to defend our nation when called. If a challenge against a formidable military force presents itself we must be ready.

I believe selective service registration should be a government mandate for every able bodied American.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

@Solaryellow said:
@jointed said:

Can you tell me the last time the United States went to war when our country (GOVERNMENT actually) was minding its business and was suddenly attacked w/o provoking or interfering in the business of another nation? The last time the draft was used was because our government had to interfere in South East Asia and the Domino Effect propaganda was used. Remember Johnson making some b.s. speech how our boys should not be fighting because their boys should be fighting?

I remember many years ago when I was enraged knowing boys were fleeing to Europe and Canada in order to remove themselves from fighting in Vietnam. As I grew older and looked at the situation objectively, I couldn't be enraged any longer.

It doesn't matter. A standing army won't be enough if oher countries engage in total war. The option must exist.

Here's a Bane quote from The Dark Knight Rises to illustrate the weakling attitude in today's kids:

"Peace has cost you your strength; Victory has defeated you"

lol

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solaryellow

@jointed said:

It doesn't matter. A standing army won't be enough if oher countries engage in total war. The option must exist.

Here's a Bane quote from The Dark Knight Rises to illustrate the weakling attitude in today's kids:

lol

Oh it absolutely matters. Being drafted to fight a b.s. war caused by our government's interfering makes those fighting nothing more than disposable pawns to our "leaders." Fighting for our freedom and way of life is something many people would do. Fighting for an unjust war or conflict is not.

NONE of the wars fought by our military in my life time (and even farther back) were to preserve our way of life.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

sure. require them to register

it is unlikely they'll ever actually be needed

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

agreed, I feel like you and I don't do that often enough.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

The draft is a relic that needs to be ditched, plain and simple.

Besides, if I am a general I want my soldiers to be people who CHOSE to be there, rather than dealing with a bunch of people who don't want to be there. Less of a headache and you are going to get better performances out of people who want to be there.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I say yes, because we are all equal. But not many, Because if we had an all out war, which i hope we never do. We still need baby makers. I have many reasons why.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

@jointed said:
@dave123321 said:

A country must be able to defend itself. It's actually very logical.

The United States is the largest armed camp in the world. And I'm not even talking about the military.

If someone somehow managed to invade our shores, every Jim-Bob, Jethro and Roy will be lining up to take shots at them.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Yes, as long as it's around, though I believe it shouldn't be a thing anymore.

@jointed you keep demonstrating that whenever you speak, you make foolish statements based on your own vague (at best) ideas of real-world issues. A quote from a Batman movie just helps strength that view.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dave123321

We need a like/dislike system here on the forums

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

If they are registering to vote - of course.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dave123321

@jointed: how old are you

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#31 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I would like to think we have evolved our society enough to the point where we are not in need of a draft. I understand that if women want complete equality, they must accept the same amount of responsibilty as well. If a draft were ever needed, though, I think females in war would be far from a big issue, as I think that state of affairs would coincide with far greater abuses of life and liberty.

Drafts are an antiquated concept anyway, considering we have about a billion different ways to destroy our species far more quickly, other than army to army warfare.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

No, we shouldn't have equality in that sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@jointed said:
@Solaryellow said:
@jointed said:

lol

Bane was the villain of a fictional film

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

@ianhh6 said:

Yes, as long as it's around, though I believe it shouldn't be a thing anymore.

@jointed you keep demonstrating that whenever you speak, you make foolish statements based on your own vague (at best) ideas of real-world issues. A quote from a Batman movie just helps strength that view.

I'm pretty sure that my understanding of the world is greater than yours in every single way. And no, this shouldn't be taken as a typical case of internet hyperbole but rather as a declarative statement.

Now, as the above is obviously the case, I understand that you're prone to mixing "being foolish" with "not having the same opinion/stating facts".

In regards to the topic at hand, it's not controversial in any setting to have a draft system. Why isn't it controversial? Because it's OBVIOUSLY necessary. Even Sweden, a leftist haven, have a draft system. Pointing out the ridiculousness in wanting it gone is not foolishness...

And the fact that you have the gall to criticize my understanding of the world, whilst simultaneously sporting the flag of a pathetic traitor territory (know for it's disgusting leftist leanings) is quite remarkable. These catalonians even think that they would be allowed to join the EU if they split...jesus.

And lastly, a quote is a quote. It was aimed at the individuals in the thread and not as an explaination of a world issue. Extrapolating it's origins to somehow reflect how much I know about the world literally makes NO sense. But hey, if you're not up for a quote of light-hearted origin then here's another in regards to you personally.

“You may plainly perceive the traitor through his mask; he is well-known everywhere in his true colors; his rolling eyes and his honeyed tones impose only on those who do not know him.” - Molière, The Misanthrope

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dave123321

Live long enough and you see yourself become the villain

It's always darkest before the dawn and the dawn is coming

I hate snakes

Rosebud

You talking to me

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Catalli  Moderator

@jointed: And Spain is a right-wing country that got rid of the draft years ago, which kinda makes your Sweden example moot. Speaking of right-wing, the dominant party in Catalonia for the last 3 decades is a conservative party, not that you bothered to check your facts.

You can keep on throwing about these half-assed defenses and personal attacks though, it honestly suits you, given the type of user you've proven to be.

And lastly, here :-*

Visca Catalunya!
Visca Catalunya!

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

No one should be afraid of the draft.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

@jointed: And Spain is a right-wing country that got rid of the draft years ago, which kinda makes your Sweden example moot. Speaking of right-wing, the dominant party in Catalonia for the last 3 decades is a conservative party, not that you bothered to check your facts.

You can keep on throwing about these half-assed defenses and personal attacks though, it honestly suits you, given the type of user you've proven to be.

And lastly, here :-*

Visca Catalunya!
Visca Catalunya!

I believe that all who can achieve it and sustain it should be entitled to self-determination, so I support Catalonia's bid for independence.

Of course, I also support the attempts of the Donetsk People's Republic and the Lugansk People's Republic to win independence from the US puppet state of Ukraine. :-P

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Catalli  Moderator

@Stesilaus: Personally I believe beyond the actual political and economic infrastructure necessary to be an independent state, a region should have its own distinct culture, but that's mostly because I don't get the claim for independence if there is no distinct nationality, which would be defined by a distinct culture. In such cases where there isn't a distinct culture legislative measures could likely be taken to please everyone.

In that sense I understand Scotland and Quebec, to name two well-known cases, but I wouldn't understand it if, say, North Dakota decided they want to be independent. Though of course then comes the question of at what point you consider cultural differences between regions "sufficient" for the claim of having their own nationality (having your own language helps :P)

ANYWAYS this is all quite off topic, sorry TC :3

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

The United States has an all volunteer military and does not want a draft. A draft would be used in an extreme emergency. Right now 75% of young Americans could not meet the re4quirments for military service. I hope we do not have to use a draft as we would be screwed. By the way women should never be drafted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@jointed: So are Americans actually British traitors?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

By golly, we agree on something.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yes, women should be allowed to volunteer. Just look at how well the female kurds do it.

See how I said volunteer? I disagree with the drafting process.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#44 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@Solaryellow said:

Pretty much.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I echo the "no one should be required" sentiment... but if women want equality, and men are required, then so should women be required.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

yes, and I also believe we should have a compulsory two years of service after high school

The second part of your answer is not something I expected from you.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

@plageus900 said:
@lamprey263 said:

The second part of your answer is not something I expected from you.

actually as a liberal I feel compulsory service would be something that'd make everyone more conscientious with regard to who we elect in office, and the foreign policy and militaristic intervention they want carried out

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@lamprey263: Fair enough. I spent four years in the Air Force and its opened my eyes a lot. I think our government needs to reign it in a bit. Our military-industrial complex is insane.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

I say no women in the military to be honest.

But for some reason my opinion in unpopular

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

Yes, but at the same time, no.

First and foremost, we should try to get rid of the draft. As militaries move more and more towards quality over quantity. And an army of unwilling troops is nowhere near as effective as a willing one.

http://warontherocks.com/2013/12/drafted-armies-are-self-killing-machines/

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2008/1010/p01s01-woeu.html

There is also the economic impact of pulling people out of the workforce.

But at the same time, no double standards around. If women want equality, they should have equal responsibility of that of men.