Should Children be Hit

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 Tolwan
Member since 2003 • 2575 Posts
[QUOTE="tzar3"]

[QUOTE="_Marisa_"]By the looks of the polls, there are going to be a lot of messed up children in the future._Marisa_

Not all of them grow up to be psychotic abusers, hitting kids is normal for some familes. Its just discipline, unless you enjoy hitting kids. I used to be smacked around everytimes I did something bad when I was younger and learned to accept it.

Normal for family but only due to tradition.

It's not discipline. Physical pain on a child is horrible for childhood development.

Statistics seem to prove you wrong. Child abuse is bad. Being spanked is not. over half this country was disciplining their children in such a manner years ago, and the vast majority turned out fine, that's why this country isnt in chaos right now. I got spanked, and look at me. Havent broken a single law, good kid, plenty of friends, great grades, and i'll be shipping off to basic for the USAF soon. Speaking of which, many of the guys i know in the military were spanked at some point in there lives.

KeizerHalil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 KeizerHalil
Member since 2007 • 815 Posts
They should, but not to really hurt them.. ifyou know what I mean:P
_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 _Marisa_
Member since 2003 • 12204 Posts
[QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="tzar3"]

[QUOTE="_Marisa_"]By the looks of the polls, there are going to be a lot of messed up children in the future.Tolwan

Not all of them grow up to be psychotic abusers, hitting kids is normal for some familes. Its just discipline, unless you enjoy hitting kids. I used to be smacked around everytimes I did something bad when I was younger and learned to accept it.

It's not discipline. Physical pain on a child is horrible for childhood development.

Statistics seem to prove you wrong. Child abuse is bad. Being spanked is not. over half this country was disciplining their children in such a manner years ago, and the vast majority turned out fine, that's why this country isnt in chaos right now. I got spanked, and look at me. Havent broken a single law, good kid, plenty of friends, great grades, and i'll be shipping off to basic for the USAF soon. Speaking of which, many of the guys i know in the military were spanked at some point in there lives.

Actually, more people have deeper issues then you realize.

Statistics don't prove me wrong.

My mother is a research scientist for developmental psychology and research methodology.

She's got her Ph.D in this stuff.

A child at a young age can't comprehend rules, and therefor, when you "dicipline" them, it can be very confusing.

Spanking a child also sends mixed signals that in order to get someone to listen to you, inflict pain.
Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Tolwan
[QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="tzar3"]

[QUOTE="_Marisa_"]By the looks of the polls, there are going to be a lot of messed up children in the future._Marisa_

My mother is a research scientist for developmental psychology and research methodology.

A child at a young age can't comprehend rules, and therefor, when you "dicipline" them, it can be very confusing.

Spanking a child also sends mixed signals that in order to get someone to listen to you, inflict pain.

Righhht, Ph. D in child rearing. Look, i was never confused. I got spanked, my parents made it clear why they spanked me. Pretty simple stuff. It's obvious you havent grown up in a family that spanks, furthermore spanking is generally limited to male's at older ages. Most of the people i know have been spanked as a child, and none of them are mentally disturbed. Hell, i'd wager atleast half of this country has been physically disciplined. It's generally children who are not spanked and thus allowed to get away with crap that end up being law-breakers, disobediant, underage drinkers, etc. etc.

Tell me to go to my room? What's going to make me listen? I remember when i was a child. You couldnt reason with me. I was very resistent. Unplug my TV, i plug it back in, take my TV out, i bring it back in, ground me, i ignore you. Reward me for good things isnt going to stop me from doing bad. I'll do the bad and then *also* do the good for whatever reward. Spanking kept me in line as a child, it shut me up and got me to listen to my dad when he explained things. It made me *obey* and become *obedient* and as i grew older i was began to understand why and my father always explained things. I imagine most parents who spank do (we arent talking about abusive parents here).

There's the ideal world, and then there's the real world. In the real world, sometimes kids dont shut up until you hit them on the ass.

_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 _Marisa_
[QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="tzar3"]

[QUOTE="_Marisa_"]By the looks of the polls, there are going to be a lot of messed up children in the future.Tolwan

Righhht, Ph. D in child rearing. Look, i was never confused. I got spanked, my parents made it clear why they spanked me. Pretty simple stuff. It's obvious you havent grown up in a family that spanks, furthermore spanking is generally limited to male's at older ages. Most of the people i know have been spanked as a child, and none of them are mentally disturbed. Hell, i'd wager atleast half of this country has been physically disciplined. It's generally children who are not spanked and thus allowed to get away with crap that end up being law-breakers, disobediant, underage drinkers, etc. etc.

Tell me to go to my room? What's going to make me listen? I remember when i was a child. You couldnt reason with me. I was very resistent. Unplug my TV, i plug it back in, take my TV out, i bring it back in, ground me, i ignore you. Reward me for good things isnt going to stop me from doing bad. I'll do the bad and then *also* do the good for whatever reward. Spanking kept me in line as a child, it shut me up and got me to listen to my dad when he explained things. It made me *obey* and become *obedient* and as i grew older i was began to understand why and my father always explained things. I imagine most parents who spank do (we arent talking about abusive parents here).

There's the ideal world, and then there's the real world. In the real world, sometimes kids dont shut up until you hit them on the ass.

Your assumptions make me laugh.

And yes, a Ph.D in child development and research methodolgy. Meaning, she's a research scientist on things like these.

Maybe you should try not assuming so quickly next time because I was spanked growing up.

I wasn't saying everyone turns out messed up, the reason for that is positives - which is what stops someone from becoming a murderer.

I'm pretty sure someone with many years of college and research on the issue would know a little more about it then some kid with likely zero education on the issue.

People just love to cling to their traditions. :roll:
Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Tolwan
[QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="tzar3"]

And yes, a Ph.D in child development and research methodolgy. Meaning, she's a research scientist on things like these.

Maybe you should try not assuming so quickly next time because I was spanked growing up.

I wasn't saying everyone turns out messed up, the reason for that is positives - which is what stops someone from becoming a murderer.

I'm pretty sure someone with many years of college and research on the issue would know a little more about it then some kid with likely zero education on the issue.

So, i'm a kid, and i have zero education, nice. You just made assumptions yourself i see, very nice. No, your wrong, actually. 20. Kids can't join the military. And i do have education, 2 years at college, Psych 101, 201, 202, 203, Human Development, and several other ****s that cover the development of the human brain/conciousness and child development. Of course i didnt major it in, but i certainly have education in the area. So, your assumptions fall flat. And, we would not be "Clinging to our traditions" if they did not work. However, liberals are always looking for an excuse to change something and toss away traditions to seem "Progressive".

I'd really like you to explain to us all, why the *VAST* majority of people who have been spanked have grown up to be productive members of society, and only rare cases have had kids grown up disturbed, and generally they are in abusive families that involve far, far more than spanking.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#108 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16020 Posts
I don't really agree with hitting children. If you regularly hit your child then you're doing a lot more harm than just physical. It isn't worth it.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
It would really help imo. I was spanked a few times when I was younger and it helped me learn discipline, respect, all that stuff. But there is a fine line between hitting to teach a lesson and beating to a pulp.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
yeah. the right force must be used to deal with the kids depending on their age.
C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
physical punishment on a child is an easy way out for a parent and it's not effective in the long-run.
_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 _Marisa_
[QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="tzar3"]

So, i'm a kid, and i have zero education, nice. You just made assumptions yourself i see, very nice. No, your wrong, actually. 20. Kids can't join the military. And i do have education, 2 years at college, Psych 101, 201, 202, 203, Human Development, and several other ****s that cover the development of the human brain/conciousness and child development. Of course i didnt major it in, but i certainly have education in the area. So, your assumptions fall flat. And, we would not be "Clinging to our traditions" if they did not work. However, liberals are always looking for an excuse to change something and toss away traditions to seem "Progressive".

I'd really like you to explain to us all, why the *VAST* majority of people who have been spanked have grown up to be productive members of society, and only rare cases have had kids grown up disturbed, and generally they are in abusive families that involve far, far more than spanking.

2 years college =/= a Ph.D in research and human deveolopement.

Can you not read? Did I not say there are positives in which aid someone in growing to be a contributing member of society?

You clearly don't understand how the brain of a child works.

People don't cling to their traditions if they don't work? Ummm, what? Have you not heard of religion?

Do you even have children? Do you even have parental experience?

Did you forget the spot where you said i had *zero* education? You must be flustered, your argument is becoming flustered. How do i not understand how the brian of a child works? Please, provide a source then that clearly links child spanking to negative effects during child development. I sure didnt find anything conclusive in that direction during a quick google, and my education sure disagree's with you.

And are you making an attack on religion? Can you provide an example of how society would be without religion, and thus clearly indicate that you assumption that religion is wrong is correct?

Please, spouting out these random arguments and insults are doing nothing, you need to clearly define your point and back up your statements or sit down. We all have seen the statistics, as they are glaringly apparent. Many people get spanked, and many get grow up just fine. Are you going to provide us with a valid, backed up reason as to why you think that the results are simply coincidental and that we are all, infact, disadvantaged because we were spanked?

Wow, you clearly can not read very well. I've stated twice already why they don't come out messed up and you fail to recognize it.

Two years of education is not even close to enough time in understanding the working brain of a child.

My sources come from a graduate book on the subject from graduate school, if I had your address, I'd mail you a copy.

And yes, I am making an attack on religion and it's negative influence on society.

As I said, two years of college and likely no experience in having a child yourself, makes you about as smart as a chimpanzee on the subject.

Furthermore, I refuse to go back and forth with someone who uses Google and the Internet as his source of knowledge. If you knew ANYTHING about research, you would know that you can't simply click a link and get an answer.
A debate on such a complicated subject simply cannot take place with someone who doesn't know how to get accurate information.

You're basing your defense on what you THINK instead of what you KNOW. You do not KNOW what percentage of humans are mentally ill, you do not KNOW the direct effects of physical discipline, You do not KNOW the positives that counter negatives as a child - which aids them against being a narcissist, you do not KNOW how the child brain works, you do not KNOW how to raise or discipline a child, you do not KNOW how chemical reactions in the human brain work based on their environment...

So, therefor, I KNOW I will discontinue this conversation until you decide to do some research and come back with some KNOWledge.
Kuhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Kuhu
Member since 2004 • 2845 Posts

physical punishment on a child is an easy way out for a parent and it's not effective in the long-run.C_BozkurT_C

I beg to differ. If you give the child the impression that your always one step ahead of them, they will really watch out. Like if my little sister lies, I punish her and tell her that I can see her lies, now she doesn't try and lie because she thinks I'll see through it and get pissed.

Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Tolwan
[QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"][QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="tzar3"]

Can you not read? Did I not say there are positives in which aid someone in growing to be a contributing member of society?

People don't cling to their traditions if they don't work? Ummm, what? Have you not heard of religion?

Do you even have children? Do you even have parental experience?

Did you forget the spot where you said i had *zero* education? You must be flustered, your argument is becoming flustered. How do i not understand how the brian of a child works? Please, provide a source then that clearly links child spanking to negative effects during child development. I sure didnt find anything conclusive in that direction during a quick google, and my education sure disagree's with you.

And are you making an attack on religion? Can you provide an example of how society would be without religion, and thus clearly indicate that you assumption that religion is wrong is correct?

Please, spouting out these random arguments and insults are doing nothing, you need to clearly define your point and back up your statements or sit down. We all have seen the statistics, as they are glaringly apparent. Many people get spanked, and many get grow up just fine. Are you going to provide us with a valid, backed up reason as to why you think that the results are simply coincidental and that we are all, infact, disadvantaged because we were spanked?

Wow, you clearly can not read very well. I've stated twice already why they don't come out messed up and you fail to recognize it.

Two years of education is not even close to enough time in understanding the working brain of a child.

My sources come from a graduate book on the subject from graduate school, if I had your address, I'd mail you a copy.

And yes, I am making an attack on religion and it's negative influence on society.

As I said, two years of college and likely no experience in having a child yourself, makes you about as smart as a chimpanzee on the subject.

Furthermore, I refuse to go back and forth with someone who uses Google and the Internet as his source of knowledge. If you knew ANYTHING about research, you would know that you can't simply click a link and get an answer.
A debate on such a complicated subject simply cannot take place with someone who doesn't know how to get accurate information.

You're basing your defense on what you THINK instead of what you KNOW. You do not KNOW what percentage of humans are mentally ill, you do not KNOW the direct effects of physical discipline, You do not KNOW the positives that counter negatives as a child - which aids them against being a narcissist, you do not KNOW how the child brain works, you do not KNOW how to raise or discipline a child, you do not KNOW how chemical reactions in the human brain work based on their environment...

So, therefor, I KNOW I will discontinue this conversation until you decide to do some research and come back with some KNOWledge.

Oh really? If you were so good in college research, you would know every book has internet excerpts, and ALL Scientific Research documents and studies are released on the internet. Hell, if you have an ebsco host account, that's a quick ride to any peer-reviewed article. Please, you could easily CITE SOME SOURCES to your claims. Saying "All of the internet = bad" is a very ignorant view. You are assuming i know nothing. You are being very arrogant, ignorant, even somewhat pedantic. Get off your high horse and present us with an actual factual link or sit down and shut up because there's nothing to debate here.

_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 _Marisa_
Oh really? If you were so good in college research, you would know every book has internet excerpts, and ALL Scientific Research documents and studies are released on the internet. Hell, if you have an ebsco host account, that's a quick ride to any peer-reviewed article. Please, you could easily CITE SOME SOURCES to your claims. Saying "All of the internet = bad" is a very ignorant view. You are assuming i know nothing. You are being very arrogant, ignorant, even somewhat pedantic. Get off your high horse and present us with an actual factual link or sit down and shut up because there's nothing to debate here.Tolwan

Did I say "internet - bad"? Really? Wow, you must remember something I don't.

You have two years of education, that doesn't ****fy you on the know how of gathering ACCURATE research information.

As I said, I have discontinued this conversation until you decide to come to me with more KNOWledge.

If you honestly think that two years of college qualifies to give advice on the development of a child, then you definitely need to go back for quite a few more years.

You have two years education with no degree in psychology and no children of your own.

Just stop while you're behind.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

I cannot tell you the number of times I saw a mother trying to verbally stop her tantrum-throwing brat, but to no avail. When her patience finally snapped and that screaming kid got a moderate thwap on the behind, they stopped right then and there.

Am I saying we should support physical abuse of children? Or the use of belts? Heavens no. But I think sometimes there are situations where a good spanking will be what the doctor ordered.

Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Tolwan

[QUOTE="Tolwan"]Oh really? If you were so good in college research, you would know every book has internet excerpts, and ALL Scientific Research documents and studies are released on the internet. Hell, if you have an ebsco host account, that's a quick ride to any peer-reviewed article. Please, you could easily CITE SOME SOURCES to your claims. Saying "All of the internet = bad" is a very ignorant view. You are assuming i know nothing. You are being very arrogant, ignorant, even somewhat pedantic. Get off your high horse and present us with an actual factual link or sit down and shut up because there's nothing to debate here._Marisa_

You have two years of education, that doesn't ****fy you on the know how of gathering ACCURATE research information.

As I said, I have discontinued this conversation until you decide to come to me with more KNOWledge.

If you honestly think that two years of college qualifies to give advice on the development of a child, then you definitely need to go back for quite a few more years.

You have two years education with no degree in psychology and no children of your own.

You said someone who uses the internet for sources isnt worth debating, to put it simply. That's what i was reflecting on. Oh, and i wasnt aware that i needed a Masters degree in child development in order to be knowledgeable of child development. I guess you should go tell all those parents out there that they should have their kids adopted becuase they arent suitable, eh? And you might as well advise this board that they can't debate or even vote in politics because they dont have a doctorite in Political Science.

By the way, you have yet to state your own credentials. I dont give a damn what your moms, or your sisters, or your friends education is. You are the one debating here. So please, lay down what your degree is and what college you attended, since you want to be so pedantic in this debate. Furthermore, please feel free to atleast state the NAME of the book that you are using as a source for your arguments.

If your not willing to do that, and instead are making an attempt to shift the burden of evidence on the rest of us, then i dont really think you are worth debating or even worth taking seriously. Stop being arrogant, stop being pedantic. I dont need a doctorite to debate on this issue. I can research just as much as the next guy, and i spent my fair share of time on Ebsco during my two years of college.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#119 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

In my experience I do believe that spanking and an occasional slap in sometimes necessary. That being said ye olde being sent to bed early or being forced to sit in the corner (or similar such desolate location) was my preferred method of punishment and is generally remarkably effective. Nothing's set in stone however so it really depends on many unknown factors on what I feel would be the best punishment for a particular situation.

As an additional bit of input I would have to say that if a young child is pitching a fit or if a baby is crying uncontrollably I feel the parent should remove themselves as soon as possible from the public arena and get themselves home.

Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Tolwan

In my experience I do believe that spanking and an occasional slap in sometimes necessary. That being said ye olde being sent to bed early or being forced to sit in the corner (or similar such desolate location) was my preferred method of punishment and is generally remarkably effective. Nothing's set in stone however so it really depends on many unknown factors on what I feel would be the best punishment for a particular situation.

As an additional bit of input I would have to say that if a young child is pitching a fit or if a baby is crying uncontrollably I feel the parent should remove themselves as soon as possible from the public arena and get themselves home.

Lord_Daemon

I would think the level of punishment necessary is different from child to child. If your child is responsive to lesser threats and being grounded there's no need to go further. However if your child is prone to frequent tantrums and refuses to heed your other punishments (Eg "You're grounded!" "So what!") and they just keep going then a spanking is necessary. It certainly was with me, i was an oft misbehaven child in my early years, haha :P

_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 _Marisa_

[QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"]Oh really? If you were so good in college research, you would know every book has internet excerpts, and ALL Scientific Research documents and studies are released on the internet. Hell, if you have an ebsco host account, that's a quick ride to any peer-reviewed article. Please, you could easily CITE SOME SOURCES to your claims. Saying "All of the internet = bad" is a very ignorant view. You are assuming i know nothing. You are being very arrogant, ignorant, even somewhat pedantic. Get off your high horse and present us with an actual factual link or sit down and shut up because there's nothing to debate here.Tolwan

You said someone who uses the internet for sources isnt worth debating, to put it simply. That's what i was reflecting on. Oh, and i wasnt aware that i needed a Masters degree in child development in order to be knowledgeable of child development. I guess you should go tell all those parents out there that they should have their kids adopted becuase they arent suitable, eh? And you might as well advise this board that they can't debate or even vote in politics because they dont have a doctorite in Political Science.

By the way, you have yet to state your own credentials. I dont give a damn what your moms, or your sisters, or your friends education is. You are the one debating here. So please, lay down what your degree is and what college you attended, since you want to be so pedantic in this debate. Furthermore, please feel free to atleast state the NAME of the book that you are using as a source for your arguments.

If your not willing to do that, and instead are making an attempt to shift the burden of evidence on the rest of us, then i dont really think you are worth debating or even worth taking seriously. Stop being arrogant, stop being pedantic. I dont need a doctorite to debate on this issue. I can research just as much as the next guy, and i spent my fair share of time on Ebsco during my two years of college.

Wrong. You don't have accurate knowledge on what "research" actually is.

As I already said, I'm done debating with you. I've come across your kind mannnnny times.

Kids that think they know everything based on a few years of life and little experience.

I loath debating with people who have no experience, resources or proof backing thier argument. It's a waste of my time.

Go debate with someone else, because it won't be with me.

Take a couple years, get a better education, have children of your own and in about 10 years, if you can find me, I'd more then happy to oblige - until then, have a great time debating with yourself. I'm done wasting my precious time replying to your nonsensical posts.
Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Tolwan
[QUOTE="Tolwan"]

[QUOTE="_Marisa_"][QUOTE="Tolwan"]Oh really? If you were so good in college research, you would know every book has internet excerpts, and ALL Scientific Research documents and studies are released on the internet. Hell, if you have an ebsco host account, that's a quick ride to any peer-reviewed article. Please, you could easily CITE SOME SOURCES to your claims. Saying "All of the internet = bad" is a very ignorant view. You are assuming i know nothing. You are being very arrogant, ignorant, even somewhat pedantic. Get off your high horse and present us with an actual factual link or sit down and shut up because there's nothing to debate here._Marisa_

Wrong. You don't have accurate knowledge on what "research" actually is.

As I already said, I'm done debating with you. I've come across your kind mannnnny times.

Kids that think they know everything based on a few years of life and little experience.

I loath debating with people who have no experience, resources or proof backing thier argument. It's a waste of my time.

Go debate with someone else, because it won't be with me.

Take a couple years, get a better education, have children of your own and in about 10 years, if you can find me, I'd more then happy to oblige - until then, have a great time debating with yourself. I'm done wasting my precious time replying to your nonsensical posts.

Actually, i think you're done with this thread, because i dont think anyone here is going to debate you. You can go on calling people in their 20's kids and uneducated baffoons who dont know how to research, and you can gladly wear that title of "Arrogant Prick But it wont get you anywhere in a real debate. You're ignorant, because you arent willing to listen to all views. Only a select few, that fit your own criteria. In an ironic sense, you refuse to release your own cridentials, so what motivation do we have to take you seriously.

Besides, i dont think anyones going to lend you a slice of credibility if you call everyone an uneducated kid if they dont have a masters degree and 3 18 year old kids. But i digress. I'm dont with you. Now let's get this thread on track with people who actually know how to debate.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

Do you even have children? Do you even have parental experience?_Marisa_

No offense, but no-one understands how a child's mind works, much like no-one understands how an adults mind works. And having kids doesn't mean you have a better understanding of children, hell my next door but one neighbour is perhaps one of the worst qualified people to have kids.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Yes, I was beat(with a cane) a lot when I was a kid in school.
Akm4everz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Akm4everz
Member since 2004 • 2390 Posts

heck yes... i got my buttox beat when I was a child... why should it be different for the next generation?!

deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#126 deshields538
Member since 2005 • 8699 Posts
Yes, I was spanked as a child and I quickly learnt the good from the bad. I'm not "messed up," I'm non-violent and I'm doing great in school.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#127 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
Yes, sometimes kids need a hit to shut them up and make them think.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#128 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Yes. Kids are sorta out of control. They do need to bring back beating. I got them.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#129 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
Also, disciplining your children usually doesn't work. If you take something from them, they can take it right back... or if you ground them, they can just ignore you and go out anyways. How are you going to stop that? How are you going to get them to obey you? The worst you can do is refuse to buy them anything, but they'll still act like a brat and get away with or ignore any discipline you can give them. Sometimes hitting is the only solution when a kid just won't listen. Abusing, no, absolutely not, but spanking or hitting just hard enough to make them think, yes. Some kids refuse to listen and the only way to make them listen is to smack them, not too hard, but as I said, just hard enough to make them stop.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#130 atejas
Member since 2008 • 520 Posts

Meh. I was only slapped twice in my entire childhood(up until now, anyway), and I turned out fine. I feellike it's a quick solution, but occasionaly necessary. As a child I usually listened to reason, and only objected to 'because I said so' statements(or their equivalent. Now, I listen to even those, out of respect. No physical abuse whatsoever.

Hell, I dont need it, my mother is a master of psychological warfare.

No, I dont do well in school, but I dont see a need to, considering that I'm planning on becoming a writer. I listen to my parents, I annoy them, they annoy me, but it's all in good fun.

(for the record, im 15, so I would'nt really know)

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

Kids these days are getting out of control with Violence, drugs, and general tomfoolery, Do you think making hitting kids legal again would help?

Personally I think it would be a start, and im not saying I beat up little kids, But ive noticed that since it was made illegal, kids have been getting out of control, I was hit when I was a kid and It tought me not to **** with my elders and kids today dont know the fear of being beat

andalore

No. But only for one reason, if you make it legal, we will have nuts, drug addicts and alcoholics beating up their little kids and saying 'he deserved it' and they wouldn't be punished because it would be LEGAL. That would make the situation 10 times worse because they would either rebel, become emotionally retarded or DIE.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
[QUOTE="andalore"]

Kids these days are getting out of control with Violence, drugs, and general tomfoolery, Do you think making hitting kids legal again would help?

Personally I think it would be a start, and im not saying I beat up little kids, But ive noticed that since it was made illegal, kids have been getting out of control, I was hit when I was a kid and It tought me not to **** with my elders and kids today dont know the fear of being beat

Lansdowne5

No. But only for one reason, if you make it legal, we will have nuts, drug addicts and alcoholics beating up their little kids and saying 'he deserved it' and they wouldn't be punished because it would be LEGAL. That would make the situation 10 times worse because they would either rebel, become emotionally retarded or DIE.

Teach them to behave properly and there will be no need to use violence. If you bring a child up to understand about right and wrong then they will make the right choice on their own.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 atejas
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"][QUOTE="andalore"]

Lansdowne5

Teach them to behave properly and there will be no need to use violence. If you bring a child up to understand about right and wrong then they will make the right choice on their own.

Perfectly true. In a few cases though, you cannot deny the child has independence or histrionic issues which cant be counselled.

Tolwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Tolwan
[QUOTE="andalore"]

Lansdowne5

I dont know where you guys live, but in the US of A, spanking is perfectly legal. Only child abuse is illegal. Child abuse is any physical contact that leaves any kind of mark or causes injury. A light spanking doesnt do that.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 atejas
I live in India. It's perfectly legal, and even if it wasnt, nobody would care. But corporal punishment has been banned in schools(from what I hear), and in Holland, or another European country, all forms of violence against a minor have been outlawed.
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts

And are you maing an attack on religion? Can you provide an example of how society would be without religion, and thus clearly indicate that you assumption that religion is wrong is correct?

Tolwan
HEre you go, from earlier in this thread:

That would be very neglagent of you as a parent considering what studies have shown;

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;101/4/723

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), however, in an official policy statement (reaffirmed in 2004) states that "Corporal punishment is of limited effectiveness and has potentially deleterious side effects. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents be encouraged and assisted in the development of methods other than spanking for managing undesired behavior." In particular, the AAP believes that any corporal punishment methods other than open-hand spanking on the buttocks or extremities "are unacceptable" and "should never be used". The policy statement points out, summarizing several studies, that "The more children are spanked, the more anger they report as adults, the more likely they are to spank their own children, the more likely they are to approve of hitting a spouse, and the more marital conflict they experience as adults." Spanking has been associated with higher rates of physical aggression, more substance abuse, and increased risk of crime and violence when used with older children and adolescents.

http://www.apa.org/pi/cyf/res_punish.html

The American Psychological Association opposes the use of corporal punishment in schools, juvenile facilities, child care nurseries, and all other institutions, public or private, where children are cared for or educated (Conger, 1975). They state that corporal punishment is violent, unnecessary, may lower self-esteem, is likely to train children to use physical violence, and is liable to instill hostility and rage without reducing the undesired behavior.

You probably would have ended up better if you hadn't been beaten. Studies have shown that beating causes negative effects on children, so good parents, if they knew this, would not do it.

yoshi-lnex
xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
Of course they should be hit. Put a little discipline in the little brat.
elmo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 elmo90
Member since 2005 • 4673 Posts
The question is very vague. I believe it's the parents responsibility to discipline their children to know right and wrong, to learn respect, and to maintain a strong work ethic.
xSIZEMATTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 xSIZEMATTER
Member since 2008 • 7045 Posts
Beat your kids. It's the right thing to do. ;)
DarkKar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 DarkKar
Member since 2005 • 6025 Posts
whoopin make man.