Rob Woodall On Medicare: 'When Do I Decide I'm Going To Take Care Of Me?'

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]I'm still waiting on a viable Republican proposal as well. Shifting the rising costs onto fixed income seniors IS NOT a solution.airshocker

Shifting the costs to anybody isn't a solution.

I never claimed it was. That's why everyone pays into medicare - so they have it when they retire.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]You mean actually funding the programs we want? I believe it involves a sensible tax structure. Let's start by letting the Bush tax cuts expire and ending all subsidies. Republicans should at least like the subsidies part as they're all for a free market.... I wonder why they voted against ending oil subsidies?mattbbpl

Your idea of a sensible tax structure isn't the same as mine, though I was speaking more towards the fact that medicare is costing us more and more every year. What do the Democrats suggest we do about that?

I'm still waiting on a viable Republican proposal as well. Shifting the rising costs onto fixed income seniors IS NOT a solution.

Would you prefer to remove funding from education? Someone's going to get their funding cut, or lots of places will need to become far more efficient. Small cuts all-round, or large cuts in less important areas? I'd rather see future generations educated, than have old people have another 4 years on their life.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Your idea of a sensible tax structure isn't the same as mine, though I was speaking more towards the fact that medicare is costing us more and more every year. What do the Democrats suggest we do about that?

Nibroc420

I'm still waiting on a viable Republican proposal as well. Shifting the rising costs onto fixed income seniors IS NOT a solution.

Would you prefer to remove funding from education? Someone's going to get their funding cut, or lots of places will need to become far more efficient. Small cuts all-round, or large cuts in less important areas? I'd rather see future generations educated, than have old people have another 4 years on their life.

I've already stated some of the things I'd prefer. You can actually read them if you feel so inclined.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

That is a somewhat arrogant thing to say given the incredible medical coverage that any member of congress gets. Take that away from them and give them the standard medicare i say.

sonicare

I think the affordable care act does this. Members of congress will be forced to buy plans from the exchanges and presumably use medicare when over 65.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#55 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

We can stop repeating the intellectually devoid mantra of "TAXES BAD", for starters. The American public wants taxes raised; the only people who still don't get it are Republicans. Increased revenue would go a long way to addressing our problems.

airshocker

Really? The American people want taxes raised? I'm pretty sure we want the econony fixed, and jobs to come back to this country. Higher taxes don't really compute with that goal.

Yes indeed. 64% of Americans supported raising taxes on incomes above $250,000 in a poll from last month, and investors do not believe the deficit can be substantially cut without doing so. Congressional Republicans are completely on their own in their "no new taxes, ever" position.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

I'll explain what's wrong with our healthcare system pre-'Obamacare':

People that don't have health insurance go to the hospital. They obviously cant pay for triple bypass surgery so the hospital and insurance company has to make up lost profits. Guess whos rates are going up?;)

And this is why I support the individual mandate.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GabuEx

I'll explain what's wrong with our healthcare system pre-'Obamacare':

People that don't have health insurance go to the hospital. They obviously cant pay for triple bypass surgery so the hospital and insurance company has to make up lost profits. Guess whos rates are going up?;)

And this is why I support the individual mandate.

DroidPhysX

That, if I recall correctly, is the reasoning judges have employed in affirming the constitutionality of the personal mandate: everyone is already participating in the healthcare system; the mandate just changes the way in which people participate.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

Here is a great way to pay for medicare. Cut the miltary budget by at least 50% it is insane how much we spend on war. Also raise taxes on the rich to at least the Clinton levels though I'd prefer the rates during the Eishenhower adminstration when they were 90%

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yes indeed. 64% of Americans supported raising taxes on incomes above $250,000 in a poll from last month, and investors do not believe the deficit can be substantially cut without doing so. Congressional Republicans are completely on their own in their "no new taxes, ever" position.

GabuEx

Of course people want to raise the taxes on other people. :roll: So long as it doesn't affect them, what do they care?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DroidPhysX

Here is a great way to pay for medicare. Cut the miltary budget by at least 50% it is insane how much we spend on war. Also raise taxes on the rich to at least the Clinton levels though I'd prefer the rates during the Eishenhower adminstration when they were 90%

white_wolf922
Not sure if serious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

white_wolf922

So long as you don't have to pay anything out of your pocket, right?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="white_wolf922"]

airshocker

who doesn't love those Lazys on Welfare?
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="white_wolf922"]

Hold on a second. I'm against the "make everyone else pay mentality", but you making these statements is surreal. You've openly stated before that you don't care about others or the future - you care about your current situation right now.

Either I misunderstood you at that time, or there's some irony to be had here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Hold on a second. I'm against the "make everyone else pay mentality", but you making these statements is surreal. You've openly stated before that you don't care about others or the future - you care about your current situation right now.

Either I misunderstood you at that time, or there's some irony to be had here.mattbbpl

I've never been for raising taxes on anybody. I'm as selfish as the next person, but I'm not in favor of raising taxes unless it's the absolute only thing that can done to fix something.

I don't care about the parts of society that only want to raise taxes on other people to pay for their services and benefits. I do, however, care about those who think it's unfair that they get saddled with the costs of everything.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

I do, however, care about those who think it's unfair that they get saddled with the costs of everything.

airshocker
Oh please. The ones saddled with everything are the lower and middle classes--the ones who can't afford it. Taxes on upper incomes are lower now than they have ever been and just look at how wonderfully that's been working out!
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

I do, however, care about those who think it's unfair that they get saddled with the costs of everything.

Theokhoth
Oh please. The ones saddled with everything are the lower and middle classes--the ones who can't afford it. Taxes on upper incomes are lower now than they have ever been and just look at how wonderfully that's been working out!

Welfare for the rich is a problem to you?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

airshocker

Of course people want to raise the taxes on other people. :roll: So long as it doesn't affect them, what do they care?

Incidentally, other people who believe that taxes need to be raised include Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

And motivation doesn't factor into this; what I said is that the American public wants taxes to be raised, and they do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Oh please. The ones saddled with everything are the lower and middle classes--the ones who can't afford it. Taxes on upper incomes are lower now than they have ever been and just look at how wonderfully that's been working out!Theokhoth

So...because you make over a certain amount of money you shouldn't be stood up for?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Incidentally, other people who believe that taxes need to be raised include Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

And motivation doesn't factor into this; what I said is that the American public wants taxes to be raised, and they do.

GabuEx

They could also donate to charity more, since they have the means.

I'm not denying what you posted is true, it just reinforces what I already believe.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Oh please. The ones saddled with everything are the lower and middle classes--the ones who can't afford it. Taxes on upper incomes are lower now than they have ever been and just look at how wonderfully that's been working out!airshocker

So...because you make over a certain amount of money you shouldn't be stood up for?

You shouldn't play the martyr as though you're actually suffering more than people who can't afford to feed themselves, let alone go to the hospital. I thought you only cared about you, your interests, and how YOU'RE affected?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

airshocker

They could also donate to charity more, since they have the means.

I'm not denying what you posted is true, it just reinforces what I already believe.

Charity is limited. Tax them more and it's the entire country that benefits.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

You shouldn't play the martyr as though you're actually suffering more than people who can't afford to feed themselves, let alone go to the hospital. I thought you only cared about you, your interests, and how YOU'RE affected? Theokhoth

Answer my question.

It's within my interests to see that taxes don't get raised on anybody.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Charity is limited. Tax them more and it's the entire country that benefits.Theokhoth

No, those who benefit are the ones using the benefits. Not those of us who don't.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]You shouldn't play the martyr as though you're actually suffering more than people who can't afford to feed themselves, let alone go to the hospital. I thought you only cared about you, your interests, and how YOU'RE affected? airshocker

Answer my question.

It's within my interests to see that taxes don't get raised on anybody.

I did answer your question. It's in your interests. . .how?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Charity is limited. Tax them more and it's the entire country that benefits.airshocker

No, those who benefit are the ones using the benefits. Not those of us who don't.

Please explain how a person living in Florida would benefit from a charity operating for their demographic--but in Arizona.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Oh please. The ones saddled with everything are the lower and middle classes--the ones who can't afford it. Taxes on upper incomes are lower now than they have ever been and just look at how wonderfully that's been working out!airshocker

If you make over a certain amount of money, then frankly you really don't need to be stood up for, given the extent to which special interests with loads of money influence American elections as it is already. This is a bit like saying that a schoolyard bully needs someone to stick up for him.

The economy seemed perfectly fine in the late '90s; what exactly has changed that would make it crumble to dust today if our tax rates went back to the levels they were then?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I did answer your question. It's in your interests. . .how?Theokhoth

No you didn't. Do you believe if someone makes over a certain amount of money they shouldn't be stood up for?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Charity is limited. Tax them more and it's the entire country that benefits.airshocker

Jokes right? Taxes pay for education, healthcare, welfare, streets, military... And you dont care because they dont effect you? :lol:
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]I did answer your question. It's in your interests. . .how?airshocker

No you didn't. Do you believe if someone makes over a certain amount of money they shouldn't be stood up for?

I believe I never said anything whatsoever to that effect. Now YOU answer MY question.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

If you make over a certain amount of money, then you really don't need to be stood up for, given the extent to which special interests with loads of money influence American elections as it is already.

The economy seemed perfectly fine in the late '90s; what exactly has changed that would make it crumble to dust today if our tax rates went back to the levels they were then?

GabuEx

I'm not saying our economy would crumble to dust, but it surely won't recover as fast as it would without tax increases.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

If you make over a certain amount of money, then you really don't need to be stood up for, given the extent to which special interests with loads of money influence American elections as it is already.

airshocker

I'm not saying our economy would crumble to dust, but it surely won't recover as fast as it would without tax increases.

What about the Debt?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

airshocker

That seems fine, considering that Republicans seem to have abandoned all semblance of caring about an economic recovery in lieu of caring about the deficit. :P

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

airshocker

Name a single time in history where lowering taxes sped up economic development. I'll name one where the polar opposite proved true: The Great Depression.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Please explain how a person living in Florida would benefit from a charity operating for their demographic--but in Arizona.Theokhoth

I see your point, but I think them donating to the charities themselves would do more good than the government trying to intercede.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Please explain how a person living in Florida would benefit from a charity operating for their demographic--but in Arizona.airshocker

I see your point, but I think them donating to the charities themselves would do more good than the government trying to intercede.

It would do good for a small amount of people in an enclosed area; whereas taxes are cross-country. The taxes of Arizona help pay for Florida's roads (and vice versa), whereas a charity organization would not and could not do that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Jokes right? Taxes pay for education, healthcare, welfare, streets, military... And you dont care because they dont effect you? :lol:Nibroc420

Obviously I'm talking about welfare.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Jokes right? Taxes pay for education, healthcare, welfare, streets, military... And you dont care because they dont effect you? :lol:airshocker

Welfare affects the economy, which affects you.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Jokes right? Taxes pay for education, healthcare, welfare, streets, military... And you dont care because they dont effect you? :lol:airshocker

Just pretend your taxes only go to blow things up or to pay for your reps rather impressive salary then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I believe I never said anything whatsoever to that effect. Now YOU answer MY question.Theokhoth

How is it in my interest for us not to tax the rich? Well, for one, that's less money the government has to spend. Two, you'll never stop taxing the rich. Three, I plan on being rich one day. Four, it feels good because I've stopped the equivalent of theft from occurring. And five, I'm not a bully.

I think that's about all I've got.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 white_wolf922

[QUOTE="white_wolf922"]

airshocker

I pay my taxes every year, I just think that those who have more money should pay more. Tim Turner even admitted his secetary pays more taxes than he does. That is insane. Besides most of the rich havent' even earned their money.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 GabuEx

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Theokhoth

Name a single time in history where lowering taxes sped up economic development. I'll name one where the polar opposite proved true: The Great Depression.

There's a graph on this subject that I quite like:

If we're supposed to be seeing a clear inverse relationship here, I have to admit that I'm not seeing one.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 white_wolf922

[QUOTE="white_wolf922"]

DroidPhysX

Not sure if serious.

I'm completely serious. We had a lot of growth during those periods, unlike the Reagan/Bush years that have ruined this country.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]I believe I never said anything whatsoever to that effect. Now YOU answer MY question.airshocker

How is it in my interest for us not to tax the rich? Well, for one, that's less money the government has to spend. Two, you'll never stop taxing the rich. Three, I plan on being rich one day. Four, it feels good because I've stopped the equivalent of theft from occurring. And five, I'm not a bully.

And yet you're willing to let the government raid trust funds that people have been paying into for years (Medicare, social security, teachers' pensions), so that your taxes don't have to be raised?
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]I believe I never said anything whatsoever to that effect. Now YOU answer MY question.airshocker

One: The government having less money to spend is kinda what's gotten us into debt in the first place. Two: Of course not. Three: And taxes aren't stopping you from being rich. Four: :lol: If you think taxes = theft. Five: :lol: Insults are the product of someone with no argument. You really haven't explained how taxing the rich affects you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Name a single time in history where lowering taxes sped up economic development. I'll name one where the polar opposite proved true: The Great Depression.Theokhoth

It's kind of shocking that you don't believe that me, as a consumer, can spend my money much better than the government can. Aren't I stimulating the economy when I buy things...?

That's your opinion, not mine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Welfare affects the economy, which affects you. Theokhoth

Yes, but less welfare is more beneficial to me/

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 white_wolf922
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]I believe I never said anything whatsoever to that effect. Now YOU answer MY question.Theokhoth

One: The government having less money to spend is kinda what's gotten us into debt in the first place. Two: Of course not. Three: And taxes aren't stopping you from being rich. Four: :lol: If you think taxes = theft. Five: :lol: Insults are the product of someone with no argument. You really haven't explained how taxing the rich affects you.

I can explain how he thinks they affect him with a quote from John Steinbeck. "Socialism never took root in America, because the poor saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but temporarily embarrassed millionaires." I think that can apply to a lot of people in America poor or middle-class.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

And yet you're willing to let the government raid trust funds that people have been paying into for years (Medicare, social security, teachers' pensions), so that your taxes don't have to be raised?mattbbpl

I didn't set those programs up. Why should I have to suffer for it?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Welfare affects the economy, which affects you. airshocker

Yes, but less welfare is more beneficial to me/

But not to the millions who need it. But they're not rich, so they don't matter to you.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

white_wolf922

I can explain how he thinks they affect him with a quote from John Steinbeck. "Socialism never took root in America, because the poor saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but temporarily embarrassed millionaires." I think that can apply to a lot of people in America poor or middle-class.

I just read that quote in East of Eden, like, yesterday. I wish we had more people like Steinbeck today.