Remembering OT History

Avatar image for majoras_wrath
majoras_wrath

6062

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

who here remembers the christian ministry weirdo who would try to convert the OT heathens?

or, the guy who claimed he saw an invasion of "illegal immigrants" and had video proof, and when he finally posted it, it was a regular neighborhood of people.

or, the weird offshoot forums where people would get really mad about if you talked about posting there

or, the handful of tankies who were way ahead of leftist twitter and would get really mad about dissing Hugo Chavez

post your memories.

Avatar image for SOedipus
SOedipus

13094

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13094 Posts

Hot butter N64 incident.
Touch her shoulder.
Do a barrel roll.
Jeff Gerstmann getting fired then a bunch of people here started trolling the IO/Eidos forums.
April fools incident where a bunch of people ended up leaving.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

4431

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4431 Posts

I remember all the girl advice threads.

I remember the community when we actually had people here.

I remember porn suicide threads.

I remember 10k parties.

I remember unions and how clique-based they were.

I remember the Jeff Gertsmann firing.

I remember the April Fool's Day community massacre.

I remember when we couldn't say bad words like shit, bitch or fuckery without getting modded.

I remember when people said "Gamespot is a dead forum" back when Gamespot was still an active forum.

"Dead forums" in 2005, they said.

Avatar image for majoras_wrath
majoras_wrath

6062

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

@SOedipus said:

April fools incident where a bunch of people ended up leaving.

oh god, I vaguely remember this. what was the april fools?

Avatar image for SOedipus
SOedipus

13094

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13094 Posts
@majoras_wrath said:
@SOedipus said:

April fools incident where a bunch of people ended up leaving.

oh god, I vaguely remember this. what was the april fools?

It's vague for me too. I think a mod was banned as a joke. I think it was spazz or solidruss, an "s" name. What I do remember is that lot of people left, deactivated (randomized their username/password back then) or suicided their accounts. When it came to that it was a joke a lot of people remaining were pissed that they let it go too long and the same thing happened lol.

Avatar image for majoras_wrath
majoras_wrath

6062

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@majoras_wrath said:
@SOedipus said:

April fools incident where a bunch of people ended up leaving.

oh god, I vaguely remember this. what was the april fools?

It's vague for me too. I think a mod was banned as a joke. I think it was spazz or solidruss, an "s" name. What I do remember is that lot of people left, deactivated (randomized their username/password back then) or suicided their accounts. When it came to that it was a joke a lot of people remaining were pissed that they let it go too long and the same thing happened lol.

oh shit. hilarious lmao.

@jaydan said:

I remember all the girl advice threads.

I remember the community when we actually had people here.

I remember porn suicide threads.

I remember 10k parties.

I remember unions and how clique-based they were.

I remember the Jeff Gertsmann firing.

I remember the April Fool's Day community massacre.

I remember when we couldn't say bad words like shit, bitch or fuckery without getting modded.

I remember when people said "Gamespot is a dead forum" back when Gamespot was still an active forum.

"Dead forums" in 2005, they said.

God, I remember all the stupid unions I joined as a young teen. "Left Handed Gamers" union and such. I miss when OT was popping with just the dumbest conversations typical to being a moron 13 y/o.

Jeff getting fired was such a red flag for the reviews on this site. At least Giantbomb is around...for a little bit longer at least.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
LJS9502_basic

172304

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 172304 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@majoras_wrath said:
@SOedipus said:

April fools incident where a bunch of people ended up leaving.

oh god, I vaguely remember this. what was the april fools?

It's vague for me too. I think a mod was banned as a joke. I think it was spazz or solidruss, an "s" name. What I do remember is that lot of people left, deactivated (randomized their username/password back then) or suicided their accounts. When it came to that it was a joke a lot of people remaining were pissed that they let it go too long and the same thing happened lol.

Spazz

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

29971

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 29971 Posts

OT was my home when I first started at GS. My heyday was 2003-2005. Made a lot of friends here. Created the Paper Clip Union before GameSpot made unions a thing. Some guy started a rival union called the Tack Union 😄 Used to interview forum members in "Solid's Hot Seat'. OT back then had more posts than SW at that time. I remember Ryan The God and the lithium forums. I remember the Man forum haha. Good times. OT and GameSpot were fun back then.

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

2835

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 4

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2835 Posts

@jaydan said:

I remember all the girl advice threads.

I remember the community when we actually had people here.

I remember porn suicide threads.

I remember 10k parties.

I remember unions and how clique-based they were.

I remember the Jeff Gertsmann firing.

I remember the April Fool's Day community massacre.

I remember when we couldn't say bad words like shit, bitch or fuckery without getting modded.

I remember when people said "Gamespot is a dead forum" back when Gamespot was still an active forum.

"Dead forums" in 2005, they said.

Ah, the things I've missed out on. :(

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

45569

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45569 Posts

@speeny said:
@jaydan said:

I remember all the girl advice threads.

I remember the community when we actually had people here.

I remember porn suicide threads.

I remember 10k parties.

I remember unions and how clique-based they were.

I remember the Jeff Gertsmann firing.

I remember the April Fool's Day community massacre.

I remember when we couldn't say bad words like shit, bitch or fuckery without getting modded.

I remember when people said "Gamespot is a dead forum" back when Gamespot was still an active forum.

"Dead forums" in 2005, they said.

Ah, the things I've missed out on. :(

LOL same but I was lurking here on Gamespot around 2011 and finally came aboard in Oct. of 2014. OT was still gaining traction but quickly dying around 2017 and so on. But seriously, 2013 Gamespot revamp happened and GS lost like over 1,000 users because GS had to change things and now today, well I'm sure you'll get the idea.