Religion is slowly declining for technology and science

• 166 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Nowadays people are more interested in technology , gadgets over religion . Young generation hardly interested in religion nowadays , they more interested in mobile texting , ipod tunes , and computers ( gaming , internet ) . Include fast cars .

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

I care as i'm a religious person myself .

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
Religion is declining but not directly due to people's interest in technology.
omus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omus101
Member since 2006 • 1392 Posts

No I think it's just their free will. I didn't have a lot of cool gadgets growing up and I still didn't care for religion.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I think we're just replacing one bad thing with another.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

Technology and science improve all the time. But religion is still strong.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Source for this please?
Orayus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7 Orayus
Member since 2002 • 565 Posts
LOL, yeah because the Terminator, Fallout, Mad Max, The Matrix won't happen. Oh man, a utopia will be here soon. No more greed, bad parents, poverty, famine, war, disease, and crime. It'll all be gone soon! No more murder or rape! No more cheating, stealing, or any kind of violence! Oh man, I can't wait!
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

LOL, yeah because the Terminator, Fallout, Mad Max, The Matrix won't happen. Oh man, a utopia will be here soon. No more greed, bad parents, poverty, famine, war, disease, and crime. It'll all be gone soon! No more murder or rape! No more cheating, stealing, or any kind of violence! Oh man, I can't wait!Orayus

Uhh, what?

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
I think the decline in religion isn't because of "cool toys". Although the more we learn about the workings of the world through science may contribute to the decline, I think it has more to do with society as a whole being more open and tolerant of those who aren't religious or willing to entertain other ideas.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
... They're not mutually exclusive.
msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

I think we're just replacing one bad thing with another.PernicioEnigma

oh brother :roll:

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Nowadays people are more interested in technology , gadgets over religion . Young generation hardly interested in religion nowadays , they more interested in mobile texting , ipod tunes , and computers ( gaming , internet ) . Include fast cars .

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

indzman

what are you talking about? there is an all out war against science right now.

people protest vaccines.

TN is trying to pass laws to get mythology taught as an "alternate theory".

worthless natural snake oil herbal medicines are selling like mad.

rich well fed western interests are convincing 3rd world leaders it's better to die a slow death from starvation than to import gmo foods.

g.w. bush encouraged the teaching of intelligent design and killed stem cell research.

the list goes on and on.

scientific progress has not had this kind of organized resistance since the dark ages.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Religion will decline but it will never go away. Considering a lot of religions are part of a culture them going away would require the abolishing of said culture that the religion is part of.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77

[QUOTE="indzman"]

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

Riverwolf007

people protest vaccines.

rich well fed western interests are convincing 3rd world leaders it's better to die a slow death from starvation than to import gmo foods.

g.w. bush encouraged the teaching of intelligent design and killed stem cell research.

the list goes on and on.

scientific progress has not had this kind of organized resistance since the dark ages.

The TC is talking about consumer technology, not science.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

worlock77

people protest vaccines.

the list goes on and on.

well that makes little sense either since you can put the bible on your phone and go to religious chat rooms or watch an evangelical tv broadcast.

Orayus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Orayus
I find it funny how people are ignoring my post
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
I find it funny how people are ignoring my postOrayus
because it makes not a lick of sense
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77

I find it funny how people are ignoring my postOrayus

I find it funny how you're ignoring the reply to your post.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]what are you talking about? there is an all out war against science right now.

people protest vaccines.

the list goes on and on.

Riverwolf007

well that makes little sense either since you can put the bible on your phone and go to religious chat rooms or watch an evangelical tv broadcast.

I think what the TC's getting at is that religion is on the decline while people seemingly worship consumer electronics.

Orayus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Orayus

[QUOTE="Orayus"]I find it funny how people are ignoring my postFirebird-5

It doesn't? So evil, bad people will just die out soon, right? No more arrogant, selfish, egotistical, narcissistic, greedy, spoiled, and corrupt people?

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
No it's because post 1880, a mechanist origin of life was deemed possible (because scientists discovered we are made up of carbon, hydrogen, etc; and since this is possible, people don't want to adhere to His laws, so they stop believing. Also since religion has been decreasing in western culture (the culture itself), people have been taught less about God and religion. Personally I am Catholic and I believe that there is a God and I believe the Catechism sums up my beliefs quite well on the matter:
"Methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things the of the faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are" (CCC 159). The Catholic Church has no fear of science or scientific discovery. Catechism of the Catholic Church
sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

religion in the west is fading but because we did it ourselves . when the crusaders sacked constaitiople that caused a massive division between chritains and made chritanity after progessivly turn weaker till what it is now . religion in the east is strong because for a long time they have been unitied only breaking up after ww1 ,but their faith isnt really divided today its still strong

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 worlock77

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"][QUOTE="Orayus"]I find it funny how people are ignoring my postOrayus

It doesn't? So evil, bad people will just die out soon, right? No more arrogant, selfish, egotistical, narcissistic, greedy, spoiled, and corrupt people?

Please carefully read the TC's original post then tell us what ether of your posts have to do with the topic.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

I think what the TC's getting at is that religion is on the decline while people seemingly worship consumer electronics.

well he's wrong there too if that is the point.

80% of the people in the usa are some sort of christian denomination.

the problem is these folks go to church and the pastor (or whatever) tells them the world is full of sinners and never before has wickedness been so rampant and they believe it without doing any fact checking.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

More of a freewill kind of thing. It's not because of technology.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riverwolf007

religion in the west is fading but because we did it ourselves . when the crusaders sacked constaitiople that caused a massive division between chritains and made chritanity after progessivly turn weaker till what it is now . religion in the east is strong because for a long time they have been unitied only breaking up after ww1 ,but their faith isnt really divided today its still strong

sinpkr

seeing as how there are 1 billion more christians around now than in the time of the crusades i'm taking your observation with grain of salt the size of the titanic.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

I don't think this is true at all.

Orayus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Orayus

[QUOTE="Orayus"]I find it funny how people are ignoring my postDroidPhysX
Weren't you the same person that said gays are immoral and should not exist? I mean, not to go off topic (and you were that person since im on your posting history as I type this) but your opinion doesn't hold clout.

No, I like girls, just find it confusing that people are trying to convince us that homosexuality is normal when everybody knows deep down inside it's not. Anyways, I could care less about that anymore. We're moving away from liberty, freedom and democracy. I'm quite certain we'll be living under a one world government under a dictator soon. 9/11 was an inside job and in the coming decades it'll be a dystopia. I have no more faith and hope in hummanity.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]well that makes little sense either since you can put the bible on your phone and go to religious chat rooms or watch an evangelical tv broadcast.

Riverwolf007

well he's wrong there too if that is the point.

80% of the people in the usa are some sort of christian denomination.

the problem is these folks go to church and the pastor (or whatever) tells them the world is full of sinners and never before has wickedness been so rampant and they believe it without doing any fact checking.

Most, well maybe not most but a rather large number of people, identify as Christian simply because that's their cultural background. Maybe they nominally believe in God/Jesus and all that, but they don't really even go to church, save for perhaps on Easter and Christmas, and it doesn't play a signifigant role in their lives overall. The church I use to attend (before I completely left the Christian faith) saw it's regular attendance drop by something like 70% in a decade. Eventually they had to close the church down and merge its congregation to another local church that had also fallen somewhat on hard times.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Riverwolf007

No it's because post 1880, a mechanist origin of life was deemed possible (because scientists discovered we are made up of carbon, hydrogen, etc; and since this is possible, people don't want to adhere to His laws, so they stop believing. Also since religion has been decreasing in western culture (the culture itself), people have been taught less about God and religion. Personally I am Catholic and I believe that there is a God and I believe the Catechism sums up my beliefs quite well on the matter: [QUOTE="Catechism of the Catholic Church"] "Methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things the of the faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are" (CCC 159). The Catholic Church has no fear of science or scientific discovery. ChampionoChumps

i'm thinking Galileo wished you guys would have come up with that one before they rammed a hot poker up his booty for saying the earth revolved around the sun.

(ok ok technically they just imprisioned him and ruined his life)

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"]No it's because post 1880, a mechanist origin of life was deemed possible (because scientists discovered we are made up of carbon, hydrogen, etc; and since this is possible, people don't want to adhere to His laws, so they stop believing. Also since religion has been decreasing in western culture (the culture itself), people have been taught less about God and religion. Personally I am Catholic and I believe that there is a God and I believe the Catechism sums up my beliefs quite well on the matter: [QUOTE="Catechism of the Catholic Church"] "Methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things the of the faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are" (CCC 159). The Catholic Church has no fear of science or scientific discovery. Riverwolf007

i'm thinking Galileo wished you guys would have come up with that one before they rammed a hot poker up his booty for saying the earth revolved around the sun.

I am proud of Galileo for keeping the Good Faith despite living in a time dominated by the non-reformed Catholic Church (even though they were trying to reform at the time). Galileo was a good man who had great integrity. Also if you are under the impression that Catholics today support atrocities such as what was done to Galileo and others, then you are wrong.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"]ChampionoChumps

I am proud of Galileo for keeping the Good Faith despite living in a time dominated by the non-reformed Catholic Church (even though they were trying to reform at the time). Galileo was a good man who had great integrity. Also if you are under the impression that Catholics today support atrocities such as what was done to Galileo and others, then you are wrong.

Right. The Catholic church today, moreso that pretty much any other Christian denomination, champions science. And it was actually a Catholic priest who came up with the Big Bang Theory.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

indzman
i dont think religion is declining because of the factors you mentioned. i think its declining because people aren't as stupid as they used to be. the earth is 6000 years old? THAT young? imo, religion was created to control people. it worked, still works, and will continue to work.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="indzman"]

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

pygmahia5

i dont think religion is declining because of the factors you mentioned. i think its declining because people aren't as stupid as they used to be. the earth is 6000 years old? THAT young? imo, religion was created to control people. it worked, still works, and will continue to work.

People were not stupider back then. They just didn't have as much knowledge as we do now.

CaveJohnson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CaveJohnson1
Member since 2011 • 1714 Posts

I want a cheese sandwitch.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

[QUOTE="pygmahia5"][QUOTE="indzman"]

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

GreySeal9

People were not stupider back then. They just didn't have as much knowledge as we do now.

let me re word that....."i think people were more susceptible to believing such far fetched stories BECAUSE they had a hard life and wanted to believe there is a higher power. its very appealing as well. "a god that punishes when you do wrong and if you do good you go to a heavenly place when you die." cmon, thats pretty catchy.
TrueDarksoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TrueDarksoul
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Good, about time we leave that hurdle behind
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I think the decline in religion is more so related to our growth of knowledge.

Let's look at older times:

The Greeks belived that Demeter, controlled the seasons of earth.

They also belived that Helios used a chariot to move the earth across the sky.

With modern science:

We know that the season is a result of the earth's tilt.

We know now that the Earth actually rotates the sun, and that gravity makes us feel like we never move even though we are constantly moving.

I just think gods were used to explain the things we couldn't understand, and I think the same is true of today. The more things we understand, it seems the less we depend on the gods to explain things. We have even declined in the number of gods that most religions worship. We have gone from polytheism to monotheism in most religions of the world today. But now we understand a lot of rules of physics and why they are the way they are. The real problem now is just finding out where they started. Were they created by some external higher authority? Or were they created out of nothing? The world may never know.

And I will admit, I am obsessed with my phone, it's pretty cool to have access to a ton of information all day long, but most of the time I use it in practical ways like for my homework and trying to get around town without a car by using public transport. It's been a tool that makes my life a bunch easier, but it's not like I couldn't live without it. I'd be depressed and actually have to plan things, but I guess it would be alright.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

tech and science are constantly proving the reasons for many things occuring, religion never did that nor will it ever, and people are just moving on.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
God is a god of science
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#42 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

obsession over material goods i tend to think make people less religious.

That said there are lot of reasons why people tend to be less religious.

but if i may be so bold, i would argue that while state-sponsored religiousity is on the decline, people's religious beliefs and devotions have not changed.

From what i gather the normal Muslim man or woman in their various levels of belief, are not all that different now as they were 1000 years ago. For some religion is word for word the literal meaning of the passage, others draw out higher meaning, and others disregard parts of it. Not all that different from today.

I think it's a testament of the strength of most of the current popular religions from the Abrahamic ones, Hinduasim, Buddhism, etc. As to how reflexive they are to the readers and the believers. It all depends on who and how one reads their scripture or comes do an understanding that they can see how people can still believe today.

technology may put a dent, but i don't believe technology or science or consumer goods alone or combined will wipe out religion.

technology is more often then not just a tool, not something that outright denounces religion.

MetalMan300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 MetalMan300
Member since 2007 • 1141 Posts

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

indzman

I'd say bad. It's sad to see that people have moved so far away from belief and religion just because of the corruption in the institutions. I'm a Christian because of the beliefs involved, not because of loyalty to a church. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy going to church, but I always saw belief (in the Christian sense) as a relationship with God, which I believe can only do good, while the faulty people within the institutions are one of the causes of making people move away from it (such as Westboro Baptist Church and all of the Catholic Church shenanigans).

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Is it good or bad OT ?

P.S

indzman

Um...how is this an either/or type of thing?

Do most religions prohibit the use of modern technology?

And considering how much the people here talk about religion (while basically just repeating the same old arguments over and over again as if it was some shocking new discovery), it'd appear that the "younger generation" is EXTREMELY interested in religion.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
LOL, yeah because the Terminator, Fallout, Mad Max, The Matrix won't happen. Oh man, a utopia will be here soon. No more greed, bad parents, poverty, famine, war, disease, and crime. It'll all be gone soon! No more murder or rape! No more cheating, stealing, or any kind of violence! Oh man, I can't wait!Orayus
woh every1 stop we have a lurker out of the cage
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Science is getting Religion back for all those times Religion beat science up back in elementary school. How does it feel to be the little man now, huh, religion!?
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Orayus"]I find it funny how people are ignoring my postOrayus

Weren't you the same person that said gays are immoral and should not exist? I mean, not to go off topic (and you were that person since im on your posting history as I type this) but your opinion doesn't hold clout.

No, I like girls, just find it confusing that people are trying to convince us that homosexuality is normal when everybody knows deep down inside it's not. Anyways, I could care less about that anymore. We're moving away from liberty, freedom and democracy. I'm quite certain we'll be living under a one world government under a dictator soon. 9/11 was an inside job and in the coming decades it'll be a dystopia. I have no more faith and hope in hummanity.

*grabs popcorn*

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I also think this era of technology and the knowledge we can gain from it will encourage more to accept science before religious stuff.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Religion is going away because of gadgets? What led you to this conclusion?

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

And considering how much the people here talk about religion (while basically just repeating the same old arguments over and over again as if it was some shocking new discovery), it'd appear that the "younger generation" is EXTREMELY interested in religion.

MrGeezer

Ha!! Well said.