Recommend me some good Alternative Rock bands

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts

Try to persuade me into appreciating the genre a little more and give some good alternative bands that are worth listening to.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
I like Seether if they count...
washd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 washd123
Member since 2003 • 3418 Posts

seether

shinedown

midage AFI

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AxeStrangler
Member since 2007 • 1889 Posts

Smashing Pumpkins

Sonic Youth

The Smiths

R.E.M

Dinosaur Jr

Radiohead

The Cure

Jeff Buckley

Here are some artists you can check out, just wait for the real Alternative buffs to post.

Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

Old Modest Mouse is good stuff.

Especially this song.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Boy Kill Boy are not bad, I like them.

EDIT: Here's a sample I hope you might like.

Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
Controller.Controller Death From Above 1979
NrkSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 NrkSaint
Member since 2004 • 4902 Posts

A Perfect Circle should be on the right track

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Smashing Pumpkins (Older stuff).
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
I like Seether if they count...SoraX64
I'm listening to them right now. Yes, Seether is alternative.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SoraX64
[QUOTE="harashawn"] I'm listening to them right now. Yes, Seether is alternative.

Good man. :D *high five*
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
[QUOTE="SoraX64"][QUOTE="harashawn"] I'm listening to them right now. Yes, Seether is alternative.

Good man. :D *high five*

I like that the singer has the same name as me, but spelled differently. :P They're from South Africa, apparently. O_o
PuddinPant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PuddinPant
Member since 2005 • 1607 Posts
Death from Above 1979 The Dead Weather The White Stripes Arcade Fire Maps And Atlases Foals Mogwai Autolux The Austerity Program Brand New (New stuff) Foals The Life and Times Open Hand Q and not U Queens of The Stone Age Riddle of Steel (older stuff) Young Widows None of the above is crappy radio alt rock like seether... You should give some of it a try. Maybe start with riddle of steel or death from above.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SoraX64
[QUOTE="harashawn"] I like that the singer has the same name as me, but spelled differently. :P They're from South Africa, apparently. O_o

Yep, the band was known as Saron Gas in SA and when they moved to the US they had to change their name so they chose Seether. :D
reikalee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 reikalee
Member since 2009 • 154 Posts

Lacuna Coil

Their previous albums were gothic metal but they're plain alternative nowadays.

jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#16 jorjdboss
Member since 2008 • 239 Posts

I love Alt. rock and I play the guitar for my band. My favourite bands are:

Creed(melodic and moody)

Alterbridge(metal-like but they soung great)

Hoobastank(This could be perfect Atl. Rock)

3 Doors Down(listen to Kryptonite, its awesome)

Foo Fighters(many good songs from them)

Hinder(nice vocals and music)

Incubus(good)

Poets of the fall(very nice vocals and riffs)

And my personal favourite: 8)

Audioslave(very popular and perfect Alt. rock - post grunge sound, very mature!)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts
I love Deftones, my favorite album by them is probably Around the Fur
Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts

I love Alt. rock and I play the guitar for my band. My favourite bands are:

Creed(melodic and moody)

Alterbridge(metal-like but they soung great)

Hoobastank(This could be perfect Atl. Rock)

3 Doors Down(listen to Kryptonite, its awesome)

Foo Fighters(many good songs from them)

Hinder(nice vocals and music)

Incubus(good)

Poets of the fall(very nice vocals and riffs)

And my personal favourite: 8)

Audioslave(very popular and perfect Alt. rock - post grunge sound, very mature!)

jorjdboss

:(

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
I would recommend some bands but judging by your av/sig, there wouldn't be much of a point.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cyberdarkkid
I would recommend some bands but judging by your av/sig, there wouldn't be much of a point.WolfattheDoor34
So liking metal automatically makes me a close minded person? oh wow :roll: Then why would I even make a thread in the first place? :| I don't see the point in posting that.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cyberdarkkid
BTW thanks for your recommendations, people I will go check them out. Although some of those I've listened to already and I didn't like them (specially Creed)
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]I would recommend some bands but judging by your av/sig, there wouldn't be much of a point.cyberdarkkid
So liking metal automatically makes me a close minded person? oh wow :roll: Then why would I even make a thread in the first place? :| I don't see the point in posting that.

thats the guy who quoted what i said last night just to correct my spelling of 1 word. he obviously attempts to upset people, Vilot_Hero did a better job tho. i'm too lazy to do a Kanye Meme
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"][QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]I would recommend some bands but judging by your av/sig, there wouldn't be much of a point.nimatoad2000

thats the guy who quoted what i said last night just to correct my spelling of 1 word. he obviously attempts to upset people, Vilot_Hero did a better job tho. i'm too lazy to do a Kanye Meme

I miss Violet_Hero. He always brought teh funnies.... Anyways, the only thing I can recommend is The Cure, but they're so awesome, that's all I need to say. :P
msi276

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 msi276
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts
The Smiths,Joy Division,The Clash,Mindless Self Indulgence, and Nine Inch Nails.
tiiaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tiiaan
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
Well my favorites are Incubus (latest stuff), Weezer and Placebo.
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WolfattheDoor34

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"][QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]I would recommend some bands but judging by your av/sig, there wouldn't be much of a point.nimatoad2000

I actually meant that there wouldn't be any point in me suggesting anything, because I hate metal. Our tastes obviously clash.

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AxeStrangler
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"] So liking metal automatically makes me a close minded person? oh wow :roll: Then why would I even make a thread in the first place? :| I don't see the point in posting that.WolfattheDoor34

I actually meant that there wouldn't be any point in me suggesting anything, because I hate metal.

but that doesn't mean that cyberdarkkid hates alternative rock, a metalhead can be pretty open minded.
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Muse (Probably not quite alt rock but they are still the best band playing today IMO)

Nirvana (I have been listening to this band since I was a toddler and have yet to get sick of them)

The Foo Fighters (I have just recently realized how much I truely love the Foo Fighters)

Chevelle (Their newest cd may be weak, but their first 3 cd's are all great)

Incubus (I never felt this band got the credit they deserved especially in regards to the Light Grenades album which I LOVED)

Breaking Benjamin (Band takes alot of flack for being popular, but I like their music and I can atest to them being great live)

Crossfade (first cd was great. Second one sucks though)

Rise Against (Haven't gotten to into this band yet but have yet to heard something by them I didn't like)

Modest Mouse (I honestly haven't gotten too into this band but they have quite a few songs I like)

Earshot (They never made it big besides one or two singles but I have always loved this band)

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cyberdarkkid
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"] So liking metal automatically makes me a close minded person? oh wow :roll: Then why would I even make a thread in the first place? :| I don't see the point in posting that.WolfattheDoor34

I actually meant that there wouldn't be any point in me suggesting anything, because I hate metal.

That is irrelevant to this thread, I am not asking you for metal recommendations and I did not ask you if you liked metal or not. And if you're not going to recommend anything and you were just trying to spread your hate don't post.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cyberdarkkid
[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"][QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"] thats the guy who quoted what i said last night just to correct my spelling of 1 word. he obviously attempts to upset people, Vilot_Hero did a better job tho. i'm too lazy to do a Kanye Meme

but that doesn't mean that cyberdarkkid hates alternative rock, a metalhead can be pretty open minded.

Yea I don't know where he got that stereotype from.
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WolfattheDoor34
[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"][QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"] thats the guy who quoted what i said last night just to correct my spelling of 1 word. he obviously attempts to upset people, Vilot_Hero did a better job tho. i'm too lazy to do a Kanye Meme

That is irrelevant to this thread, I am not asking you for metal recommendations and I did not ask you if you liked metal or not. And if you're not going to recommend anything and you were just trying to spread your hate don't post.

Or I could just post what I want, when I want. To be honest, I had already posted 'lol' and thought I would add an addendum, but I'm VERY VERY SORRY if I offended your delicate sensibilities.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"][QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"] thats the guy who quoted what i said last night just to correct my spelling of 1 word. he obviously attempts to upset people, Vilot_Hero did a better job tho. i'm too lazy to do a Kanye Meme

Yeah right. What, are you going to tell me next that all metal isn't satanic? :roll: Silly metalheads.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Smashing Pumpkins (ALL stuff). Darth-Caedus
Fixed for you.

Since your a metal head, The Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth are great bands to start with.

Start with their hits

Siva

Pipleine

And move on into their deeper stuff, remember alternative is about being dark and "pretty" all at the same time. If your looking for super fast over-exaggerated flashyness then its not the genre for you. And enjoy the greatest genre of music ;)

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mexicangordo

BTW thanks for your recommendations, people I will go check them out. Although some of those I've listened to already and I didn't like them (specially Creed)cyberdarkkid
DON"T check out late 90's alternative or post grunge, thats all stuff like Nickleback and 3 doors down. Those were bad bad times in music :(

WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WolfattheDoor34

[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"][QUOTE="nimatoad2000"] thats the guy who quoted what i said last night just to correct my spelling of 1 word. he obviously attempts to upset people, Vilot_Hero did a better job tho. i'm too lazy to do a Kanye MemeAxeStrangler

Of course it doesn't, but I dislike any and all metal. So the alternative music that appeals to me would probably be on the opposite spectrum of alternative music that might appeal to him.

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts

The lack of anberlin upsets me :P

Anberlin

cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cyberdarkkid

[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"][QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"] I actually meant that there wouldn't be any point in me suggesting anything, because I hate metal.WolfattheDoor34

Of course it doesn't, but I dislike any and all metal. So the alternative music that appeals to me would probably be on the opposite spectrum of alternative music that might appeal to him.

That logic doesn't make any sense whatsoever, like I said if you don't want to recommend anything then don't post. I couldn't care less about your reasons why you're not going to recommend me anything.
AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AxeStrangler

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]BTW thanks for your recommendations, people I will go check them out. Although some of those I've listened to already and I didn't like them (specially Creed)mexicangordo

DON"T check out late 90's alternative or post grunge, thats all stuff like Nickleback and 3 doors down. Those were bad bad times in music :(

I second this, although I do like Alter Bridge, Myles Kennedy is too damn good of a singer to pass up.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cyberdarkkid

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Smashing Pumpkins (ALL stuff). mexicangordo

Fixed for you.

If your looking for super fast over-exaggerated flashyness then its not the genre for you.

I do not look for that in metal either anyways thanks for the links.

WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WolfattheDoor34
[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]

[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"] but that doesn't mean that cyberdarkkid hates alternative rock, a metalhead can be pretty open minded.cyberdarkkid

That logic doesn't make any sense whatsoever, like I said if you don't want to recommend anything then don't post. I couldn't care less about your reasons why you're not going to recommend me anything.

I guess you didn't read my response to your post? The one with my SINCEREST APOLOGIES?
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Smashing Pumpkins (ALL stuff). cyberdarkkid

Fixed for you.

If your looking for super fast over-exaggerated flashyness then its not the genre for you.

I do not look for that in metal either anyways thanks for the links.

It was honestly a joke :P

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="cyberdarkkid"]BTW thanks for your recommendations, people I will go check them out. Although some of those I've listened to already and I didn't like them (specially Creed)AxeStrangler

I second this, although I do like Alter Bridge, Myles Kennedy is too damn good of a singer to pass up.

Agreed with both but not to fond of his solo work.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

mexicangordo

Kind of like the last Pumpkins album? :o I went there.

:P

jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#45 jorjdboss
Member since 2008 • 239 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Dark_Knight6

pumpkins sound immature, you'd rather listen to simple plan lol
Avatar image for someotherguy654
someotherguy654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 someotherguy654
Member since 2004 • 15122 Posts
Husker Du.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

Dark_Knight6

You mean American Gothic? That was accoustic

If you meant, Zeitgeist... then thats a different story.... Don't mess with Zeitgeist :cry:

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

jorjdboss

pumpkins sound immature, you'd rather listen to simple plan lol

I don't understand that comment, care to explain?

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#49 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Third Eye Blind.

Muse.

Porcupine Tree. (More prog, but I still think they could belong in here as well)

Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Gorillaz.

etc.

Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead