Qusetions about evolution for Advanced Science/physics/biology experts.

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]In those cases I think it's more that they don't want to accept science than they are following a religion. Or it could be they only deal in literal analysis of the bible but that belies the reason the scripture uses metaphors. So I'm back to because they don't want to accept it.LJS9502_basic

Yes. That is exactly why. Their close-minded nature refuses to look at new evidence because they don't want to accept it. IT is not science's job to adapt to religion, it is religion job to adapt to science.

Indeed. Nice talking with you. Have to be heading out for family holiday time. Happy New Year Mr Fluff.....

Hsppy new year to you as well. I think I'll go and play some Dragon Age. Can't wait for the new downloadable addon that is suppose to be comign out sometime this week.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 BumFluff122

Yeah, your right. I wasn't referring to modern chimps lolHellsing2o2
If it was a science show that was based on factual evidence then that is what they were probably referring to. An old argument that has since been put in it's place is "If we came from chimps why are there still chimps today?" This may have been what he was trying to argue against. That we didn;t coem from modern chimps but instead both species came from the same ancestor.

dutzeandkarny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 dutzeandkarny
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="deadpool86x"]

"Why are athiest people so closed minded about God only being that which is found in the Bible, or other written works."

joesh89

I skimmed through the post and saw that, so I'm out of here.

lol, I ragequit on the 0+1=2 thing
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

Evolution and the big bang theory are not related.

Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts

[QUOTE="Hellsing2o2"] Yeah, your right. I wasn't referring to modern chimps lolBumFluff122

If it was a science show that was based on factual evidence then that is what they were probably referring to. An old argument that has since been put in it's place is "If we came from chimps why are there still chimps today?" This may have been what he was trying to argue against. That we didn;t coem from modern chimps but instead both species came from the same ancestor.

Yeah it was a science program about putting an end to that agument. Humans didn't evolve from chimps, we both evolved from a common ancester. They also found a fossil that was far older then that.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 BumFluff122

And as my last post in this thread until I go play a game, expanding on my previous post in this thread concerning the evolution of modern chimps and modern man from a common ancestor and one not evolving from the other, it is also very possible thst a creature that evolved from another creature as well as that original creature to exist at the same time. Picture if a group of animals. Something occurs seperating that group into multiple groups without having the ability to procreate with one another. Each of those groups will be independant from one another and any beneficial mutation that occurs in one group as a result of their newer environment and holds won't be spread to the other group. Examples of this actually occurring are creatures like Ensantina Salamanders, Greenish Warblers and Larus Gulls to name a few. Basically anything that can be designated as a 'Ring Species'. If the original environment remains relatively static you could have the original creature still in existence as well as many offshoots that have evolved from one another to their changing habitat.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="Hellsing2o2"] Yeah, your right. I wasn't referring to modern chimps lolHellsing2o2

Yeah it was a science program about putting an end to that agument. Humans didn't evolve from chimps, we both evolved from a common ancester. They also found a fossil that was far older then that.

Are you referring to a show on Ida or soem other similar fossil? I'll look at your answer in a few hours when I'm done playign my game :)

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts
The why we still got monkeys? [spoiler] I'm sorry but it's hard not to make a joke when someone says that evolution has anything to do with the big bang. I just... man. That's so, so, so wrong. I can't even be serious about it. [/spoiler]
the_one34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 the_one34
Member since 2004 • 1105 Posts
[QUOTE="joao_22990"]The why we still got monkeys? [spoiler] I'm sorry but it's hard not to make a joke when someone says that evolution has anything to do with the big bang. I just... man. That's so, so, so wrong. I can't even be serious about it. [/spoiler]

I know, it's difficult to keep a straight face when someone mixes up biology with cosmology.
Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts

[QUOTE="Hellsing2o2"]

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]If it was a science show that was based on factual evidence then that is what they were probably referring to. An old argument that has since been put in it's place is "If we came from chimps why are there still chimps today?" This may have been what he was trying to argue against. That we didn;t coem from modern chimps but instead both species came from the same ancestor.

BumFluff122

Are you referring to a show on Ida or soem other similar fossil? I'll look at your answer in a few hours when I'm done playign my game :)

It was a show on the science channel I think. They found a fossil that proved that huamns and chimps came from the same ancester, and not from each other. And near the end of the program they said they found a fossil that was much much older then the one that showed that humans didn't in fact come from chimps.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 joao_22990

I know, it's difficult to keep a straight face when someone mixes up biology with cosmology. the_one34
Exactly, i feel dirty even thinking that. It's such an insult to Cosmology! The greatest science branch ever conceived!

You just can't compare "I'm a human, of the Homo Sapiens species, of the Hominidae, the Great Ape Family" to "I'm a citizen of the Cosmos"!

the_one34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 the_one34

[QUOTE="the_one34"]I know, it's difficult to keep a straight face when someone mixes up biology with cosmology. joao_22990

Exactly, i feel dirty even thinking that. It's such an insult to Cosmology! The greatest science branch ever conceived!

You just can't compare "I'm a human, of the Homo Sapiens species, of the Hominidae, the Great Ape Family" to "I'm a citizen of the Cosmos"!

Please, let's not fight about which is the more enthralling science! We all know evolution would win :P Science is awesome.
joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 joao_22990
[QUOTE="the_one34"] Please, let's not fight about which is the more enthralling science! We all know evolution would win :P Science is awesome.

The hell! I better get out of here, i don't want to hurt anyone. Let's just agree to disagree, ok?
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Yoshi25
Member since 2004 • 4488 Posts

Evolution is not random.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 joao_22990

Evolution is not random.

Yoshi25
I'm sorry, but i can't stay away from this one. You know when some people are born with six fingers? Or three boobs? Those are completely random. However, if having three boobs increases your chance of survival or gives you better chances of success in a certain environment, then people with three boobs would probably rule over that place. But being born with another finger or boob, besides being pretty awesome, is also completely random. And it has very low chances of ever working, mutations rarely are for the better.
the_one34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 the_one34
[QUOTE="Yoshi25"]

Evolution is not random.

joao_22990
I'm sorry, but i can't stay away from this one. You know when some people are born with six fingers? Or three boobs? Those are completely random. However, if having three boobs increases your chance of survival or gives you better chances of success in a certain environment, then people with three boobs would probably rule over that place. But being born with another finger or boob, besides being pretty awesome, is also completely random. And it has very low chances of ever working, mutations rarely are for the better.

Evolution isn't random. What you've just described are mutations...evolution (mostly) depends on natural selection which is the very opposite of random.
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Yoshi25
[QUOTE="Yoshi25"]

Evolution is not random.

joao_22990

But the process of evolution is not random. Natural selection favors strong mutations.
joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 joao_22990
[QUOTE="the_one34"] Evolution isn't random. What you've just described are mutations...evolution (mostly) depends on natural selection which is the very opposite of random.

I'm sorry, i'm not sure i follow? What aspects of natural selection are not random? As in, you can predict the winner, or as in, you can predict the contestants? I was arguing the latter was random. Of course someone with hand like us work better with tools rather than elephants, but we can't say, for example, in a distant planet a certain percentage of all life will have five finger hands with opposable thumbs. Right?
the_one34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 the_one34
[QUOTE="joao_22990"][QUOTE="the_one34"] Evolution isn't random. What you've just described are mutations...evolution (mostly) depends on natural selection which is the very opposite of random.

I'm sorry, i'm not sure i follow? What aspects of natural selection are not random? As in, you can predict the winner, or as in, you can predict the contestants? I was arguing the latter was random. Of course someone with hand like us work better with tools rather than elephants, but we can't say, for example, in a distant planet a certain percentage of all life will have five finger hands with opposable thumbs. Right?

It's not random because the favourable mutations will be selected for. Natural selection doesn't select everything regardless of the phenotype, it only selects the phenotype (and ultimately, genotype) which provides a significant survival advantage. That is definitely not random. What is random is the mutation and when it happens to be beneficial (this isn't as rare as most people think), it is selected for.
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Yoshi25
[QUOTE="the_one34"][QUOTE="joao_22990"][QUOTE="the_one34"] Evolution isn't random. What you've just described are mutations...evolution (mostly) depends on natural selection which is the very opposite of random.

It's not random because the favourable mutations will be selected for. Natural selection doesn't select everything regardless of the phenotype, it only selects the phenotype (and ultimately, genotype) which provides a significant survival advantage. That is definitely not random. What is random is the mutation and when it happens to be beneficial (this isn't as rare as most people think), it is selected for.

+1
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#121 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="joao_22990"][QUOTE="the_one34"] Evolution isn't random. What you've just described are mutations...evolution (mostly) depends on natural selection which is the very opposite of random.

Game theory, its a thing.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#122 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Er...how can one be closed minded against atheism. It means lack of belief in a god in simple terms. I don't see where theists are close minded about that belief per se.

LJS9502_basic

Closed-minded about the possibility that God might not exist is what I meant.

I think anyone that has faith....and I don't mean superficial go to church with the parents faith.....has already had that thought cross their mind and reasoned through it. So I don't think close minded applies in this case.

And the exact same applies to atheists. :|

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 joao_22990

Oh, ok, Now i understand. Sorry, was a bit confused.

Oh, and i apologize for thinking i was talking to someone who didn't understand what they were talking about. Guess how wrong i was.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 BumFluff122

It was a show on the science channel I think. They found a fossil that proved that huamns and chimps came from the same ancester, and not from each other. And near the end of the program they said they found a fossil that was much much older then the one that showed that humans didn't in fact come from chimps.

Hellsing2o2

Cool. :)

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="the_one34"] Evolution isn't random. What you've just described are mutations...evolution (mostly) depends on natural selection which is the very opposite of random. joao_22990

I would disagree. While we all know natural selection is definitely not random what leads you to the consluion that mutations are random? Everythign has a cause does it not? Even if we aren't aware of what that cause was there definaitely must have been a cause to force that DNA sequence to mutate that caused that genetic mutation to occur whether it's a viral infecton or something else.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 joao_22990

I would disagree. While we all know natural selection is definitely not random what leads you to the consluion that mutations are random? Everythign has a cause does it not? Even if we aren't aware of what that cause was there definaitely must have been a cause to force that DNA sequence to mutate that caused that genetic mutation to occur whether it's a viral infecton or something else.

BumFluff122

Wait, this must be some trick of the English language. Mutations are random, as in, they're unpredictable. Or as in, in our current scientific and technological state, we're unable to predict mutations with an acceptable percentage of certainty.

With natural selection, however, we've gained enough knowledge to understand it's workings, and can, to some extent, make acceptable predictions.

That was why i aked if we we're talking about predicting the winners or the contestants. If we know the contestants, we might be able to predict a winner with an acceptable certainty, but without knowledge of the contestants, we can't exatly predict their qualities. Right?

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#127 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]I would disagree. While we all know natural selection is definitely not random what leads you to the consluion that mutations are random? Everythign has a cause does it not? Even if we aren't aware of what that cause was there definaitely must have been a cause to force that DNA sequence to mutate that caused that genetic mutation to occur whether it's a viral infecton or something else.

joao_22990

Wait, this must be some trick of the English language. Mutations are random, as in, they're unpredictable. Or as in, in our current scientific and technological state, we're unable to predict mutations with an acceptable percentage of certainty.

With natural selection, however, we've gained enough knowledge to understand it's workings, and can, to some extent, make acceptable predictions.

That was why i aked if we we're talking about predicting the winners or the contestants. If we know the contestants, we might be able to predict a winner with an acceptable certainty, but without knowledge of the contestants, we can't exatly predict their qualities. Right?

Perhaps he's talking about Allele Frequency. In the sense that specific mutations that are more commonly found in a population's gene pool will inevitably have a higher and higher occurrence over time.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]I would disagree. While we all know natural selection is definitely not random what leads you to the consluion that mutations are random? Everythign has a cause does it not? Even if we aren't aware of what that cause was there definaitely must have been a cause to force that DNA sequence to mutate that caused that genetic mutation to occur whether it's a viral infecton or something else.

joao_22990

No. A mutation, such as a retrovirus like HIV inserting itself into the DNA of a cell, is most certainly not due to 'chance'. As we are unaware of what causes certain mutations sure you can label them chance all you want but in reality all you're saying is "We do not know the cause of the mutation but we do know there must be a cause." I know what you were gettign at I'm just tired of creationists, I know you aren't one, statign that evolution is due to chance and coming up with an incredibly unlikely number off the tops of their heads to state how random of a chance everything that exists today would have to come together as it is. I wouldn't call it chance. I would call it 'causes unknown' or something similar but it most certainly is not due to chance.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="joao_22990"]

ProudLarry

Perhaps he's talking about Allele Frequency. In the sense that specific mutations that are more commonly found in a population's gene pool will inevitably have a higher and higher occurrence over time.

no. I'm talking about the original genetic mutation. An inseetion or deletion of a DNA pair, a swapping of a DNA pair, the inserttion of a retrovirus into the genome, etc... Merely because we do not know why it occurred does not mean it is specifically due to chance. There is a cause, we are just unaware of it. And of course I'm fairly certain there are MANY causes which is probably the reason why we merely write it off as 'chance'. It would be rater hard to study each and every little possibly cause for a genetic mutation.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 joao_22990

I wouldn't call it chance. I would call it 'causes unknown' or something similar but it most certainly is not due to chance.

BumFluff122

Now wait a minute. I'm not arguing against any of this. I don't think anything can be devoid of cause. But that does not help us in any way.

Let me rephrase what i said, maybe it'll help. Maybe i'm not explaining myself well? I'm sure you've heard that if someday we find some planet able to sustain life, those life forms would be nothing like what we can even imagine? Like, how we are unable to predict what life there is on that planet?

I guess this is my main point. That mutations, not having a raison d'etre, are mostly void of a sense to a unified purpose. Mutations happen by various reasons, be it a retrovirus or cosmic radiation, but they do not exist to forward some purpose. They simply happen. Some of them end up being useful, and then natural selection takes it's place. But they're nothing but events. Random events, having no definite aim or purpose.

I'm sorry, but this is the best i can explain myself.

And no, i am in no way a creationist. But if you're arguing that the cosmos functions because it was, from the beginning, made to work, then i must say i do not subscribe to that though.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 BumFluff122

Now wait a minute. I'm not arguing against any of this. I don't think anything can be devoid of cause. But that does not help us in any way.

Let me rephrase what i said, maybe it'll help. Maybe i'm not explaining myself well? I'm sure you've heard that if someday we find some planet able to sustain life, those life forms would be nothing like what we can even imagine? Like, how we are unable to predict what life there is on that planet?

I guess this is my main point. That mutations, not having a raison d'etre, are mostly void of a sense to a unified purpose. Mutations happen by various reasons, be it a retrovirus or cosmic radiation, but they do not exist to forward some purpose. They simply happen. Some of them end up being useful, and then natural selection takes it's place. But they're nothing but events. Random events, having no definite aim or purpose.

I'm sorry, but this is the best i can explain myself.

And no, i am in no way a creationist. But if you're arguing that the cosmos functions because it was, from the beginning, made to work, then i must say i do not subscribe to that though.

joao_22990

I'm not a creationist either, as you can tell from my post, and am aware you aren't either. However, as you stated, everything must have a cause. My point is is that merely because we do not know the cause does not mean that cause is, as many creationists argue, reason to disbelieve the basis behind evolution is completely randomized. As I'm pretty sure you're aware of.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 joao_22990
Completely, and i by no means intend to disprove evolution, if that was what i appeared to be doing. I mean, it's not like i have a choice, either it exists, or it doesn't. There is enough evidence proposing it's truthfulness, so i stay by it's side. What i originally intended to understand was why the_one34 (?) said evolution is not random, when it's most basic agent, mutations, are void or aim or purpose, therefore, random. Then i understood he was talking about Natural Selection, and everything was ok. I really don't understand very well what took place after that, as you probably understood from my unawareness of this discussions point.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 BumFluff122

Completely, and i by no means intend to disprove evolution, if that was what i appeared to be doing. I mean, it's not like i have a choice, either it exists, or it doesn't. There is enough evidence proposing it's truthfulness, so i stay by it's side. What i originally intended to understand was why the_one34 (?) said evolution is not random, when it's most basic agent, mutations, are void or aim or purpose, therefore, random. Then i understood he was talking about Natural Selection, and everything was ok. I really don't understand very well what took place after that, as you probably understood from my unawareness of this discussions point.joao_22990
Perhaps we are using different meanings of the word random in this case. I see you are using the term random in a sense that genetic mutations are either beneficial neutral or harmful while I am talkign about the specific cause of that genetic mutation in that it doesn;t just happen out of the blue with ni cause.

joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 joao_22990
It seems you're correct. well, thank god (oh the ironing) we came to a conclusion. Always good to have a nice discussion. Also, i must praise you for being good at discussions, it isn't rare to see you in one.
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#135 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

borderline solipsist OP for the lose.

TC:

you could say that things make sense because of a logically sound reasoning being applicable to ratios. Problem is that whatever ratios you are measuring, their means for potentially creating an answer, that very answer, how it applies to the empirical, is completely nullified by the very nature of the logically sound reasoning applied.

The end result will only be oxymoronic science. You end up as well off as you started, with questions.

try not to undermine everything youre substantiating your own argumentation on within your own OP, next time :3 It´s a daft waste of time reading over.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Closed-minded about the possibility that God might not exist is what I meant.

chessmaster1989

I think anyone that has faith....and I don't mean superficial go to church with the parents faith.....has already had that thought cross their mind and reasoned through it. So I don't think close minded applies in this case.

And the exact same applies to atheists. :|

I don't believe that was discussed here. However, if you wish to discuss it....feel free.;)
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 BumFluff122

It seems you're correct. well, thank god (oh the ironing) we came to a conclusion. Always good to have a nice discussion. Also, i must praise you for being good at discussions, it isn't rare to see you in one.joao_22990
I always discuss things related to astronomy, evolution, science, religion, etc... on here though I haven't been here too much in the past few weeks.