Qusetions about evolution for Advanced Science/physics/biology experts.

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juken7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Juken7
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Yea, I checked both. Both sides upset me. Both have massive gaps, both are not well thought out. Both sides say things that are just impossible and neither side will dive deeper into the explaination. Creationists have faith god made everything, evolutionary followers have faith that things just came to be.

deadpool86x

"Evolutionary followers" do not have faith that things just came to be. Rather, they recognize that they do not yet have an answer for this question and are not going to fabricate an easy answer just to have one.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts

Yea, I checked both. Both sides upset me. Both have massive gaps, both are not well thought out. Both sides say things that are just impossible and neither side will dive deeper into the explaination. Creationists have faith god made everything, evolutionary followers have faith that things just came to be.

deadpool86x
Arbiogenesis (spelling) is not part of evolution. Evolution says nothing about the origin of life, just explains life's diversity. We don't know what started life yet.
deadpool86x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deadpool86x
Member since 2009 • 150 Posts

[QUOTE="deadpool86x"]

Juken7

"Evolutionary followers" do not have faith that things just came to be. Rather, they recognize that they do not yet have an answer for this question and are not going to fabricate an easy answer just to have one.

then why label yourself an evolutionist in the first place and even bother telling anyone your thoughts on it ( not you specifically, i mean evolutionary scientists and supporters ) And if you believe in something without a shred of evidence, its called faith. Nobody has proof god doesnt exist, not one athiest or evolutionist on this planet can say without a dout, god does not exist. That is 100% faith. Its not religious faith, but it is faith.

Sadly, you shouldnt listen to Einstein or Hawkings about God. Neither are credible and I'll tell you why. Albert was an avid church goer until the war started, after which he was so sad and depressed about life and things not going his way, that he turned to science and math to understand the universe. He became bias. Hawkings was a firm believer in god, and flip flops on this debate all the time saying he does or doesnt, yes and then no, but always refers to some type of God in his work. He is extremely depressed about his condition and blamed god for it. I dont like to admit it but thats how it is with many scientific leaders of today. Take the asian fella on the discovery channel, might be one of the brightest minds on earth and a firm believer in god. The african american fello you see often is equally as intelligent and experienced but doesnt believe in god because he lost his father and is trying to build a dang TIME MACHNIE TO GO BACK AND SAVE HIM. These scientific leaders of the world often have a horrible event in their lives occur and makes them stop believing in god....most of them started out as firm believers.

Creationists have faith that god exists and came to be or maybe always existed.

Athiests have faith that the absense of intelligence can create a non randomized sequence of events

And I do apologize for not making my view clear before.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178877 Posts

If you're talking about this:

"...there is nothing intelligent about the fact that the Earth exerted a force on that ball that caused it to accelerate towards the Earth. It simply followed a natural law, just as evolution follows natural laws."

I'm... not really sure how that can be construed as me saying that it is random. The entire purpose of my post was to illustrate the way in which something can be predictable (again, that is to say, not random), yet not be directly guided by an intelligent being. It is analogous to programming a computer: the programmer defines the way in which the computer ought to act, but once that definition is made, the computer does not require the direct intervention of the programmer to guide its actions.

Like I said, if you are wishing to assert that the fundamental forces of nature were created by an intelligent being, I am more than happy to grant that possibility without debate. What I am arguing against is the idea that the forces themselves are intelligent. Given the way in which the same input will always give the same output, they seem an awful lot more to me like predefined, intelligence-less procedures, and unless there is evidence to the contrary, I do not think one would have any justification for asserting otherwise.

GabuEx

Natural laws are laws as understood by humans though......

Anyway you must not have read my reply to that post as you haven't addressed it.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

If you're talking about this:

"...there is nothing intelligent about the fact that the Earth exerted a force on that ball that caused it to accelerate towards the Earth. It simply followed a natural law, just as evolution follows natural laws."

I'm... not really sure how that can be construed as me saying that it is random. The entire purpose of my post was to illustrate the way in which something can be predictable (again, that is to say, not random), yet not be directly guided by an intelligent being. It is analogous to programming a computer: the programmer defines the way in which the computer ought to act, but once that definition is made, the computer does not require the direct intervention of the programmer to guide its actions.

Like I said, if you are wishing to assert that the fundamental forces of nature were created by an intelligent being, I am more than happy to grant that possibility without debate. What I am arguing against is the idea that the forces themselves are intelligent. Given the way in which the same input will always give the same output, they seem an awful lot more to me like predefined, intelligence-less procedures, and unless there is evidence to the contrary, I do not think one would have any justification for asserting otherwise.

LJS9502_basic

So you believe that our perception may be flawed, right?

Then how can you (or anyone) judge whether or not the occurances in nature are random if you believe that our perception might be flawed?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#56 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

You misunderstand my view i think. I support evolution, but not via the absense of intelligence. I believe evolution exists as a result of GOD writing the laws and letting them play out randomly. The predefined parameters you speak of is what i was trying to get at. It was written, things shall play out this or that way. This information exists that allows for the seemingly randomized events that will later take place. I believe that there is only a small portion of things that are randomized and that God allowed some leg room for things to grow and suprise him with how it turned out. He wrote the guidelines for the basics, made sure things dont mess up along the way, i think people are just out of their minds if they truely believe such complexity came from nothingness. Two events must have taken place if you believe this

the first being the universe itself suddenly popping into existence, the second event that life popped into existence without any thing causing it. Out of emptyness, the most complex thing possible in our universe suddenly existed.

I think god itself purposely intented to never know what things may come out of this, but he wanted humans to exist, tigers and lions, earth and stars, ect ect. The basics were preset, the rest was left the the written law of evolution. I do feel there is a mathematical formula for everything, if it exists, it has one. Evolution does exist, it has a prewritten formula for what governs its existence. Otherwise, it wouldnt exist in my opinion.

afterall if i were god, id want it to be that way.

deadpool86x
I'm troubled by a deadily assumption you're making. How do you know that what we perceive to be laws are not merely momentary fluctuations in an otherwise chaotic, quantum indetermanistic universe? Or better yet, why must order have a creator?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LJS9502_basic

Then how can you (or anyone) judge whether or not the occurances in nature are random if you believe that our perception might be flawed?

Teenaged

It would be so helpful to a discussion if you stayed with what I actually said and not infer things not in my post again.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

It would be so helpful to a discussion if you stayed with what I actually said and not infer things not in my post again.

It would also be so helpful to a discussion if you didnt change your argument every now and then.

Make your line of thought clearer so that people might be able to follow it.

Also I dont think its that difficult for you to correct me if I inferred something incorrectly.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#59 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Seeing as most of the questions have already been debated to death, I'll just discuss some points of interest:

"4a. If there is a God like being, a higher power, couldn't it have created the universe and earth to be old? Many evolutionists and geologists believe the earth is close to 4 billion years old, for this reason they dont believe in god and that the bible is nonsense saying the earth is a few thousand years old. While i do not agree with that last idea, couldnt a higher power have created our universe to be aged? Why do so many athiests deny the existence of a god for this reason?"

The atheists' disbelief in a god isn't just due to the earth being old. Young earth belief just serves as an example as to why fundamentalist christianity does not make sense. Atheists do not believe in god, however, because there is no empirical reason to.

"5. If aliens do exist, wouldnt they be jelous and very interested in our planet if the son of GOD came to us and not them? ....or if you believe in Jesus and god, what are your thoughts on the possibility that he also visited other alien planets? Mind bomb "

Religion is a very natural social phenomenon for us (it serves/served to maintain social cohesion), so odds are that if there are other intelligent lifeforms out there, they'll have their own religions, or at least be familiar with the phenomenon.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#60 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Anyway you must not have read my reply to that post as you haven't addressed it.

LJS9502_basic

I read your post, and I replied to the post. That I referred specifically to the portion you had bolded in your post ought to make that much obvious. If I read it wrong, then explain what you were saying so that I may better understand your argument rather than having to resort to telepathy. Your penchant for insinuation in the case of a misunderstanding, rather than honest attempts to ensure your position is known in its entirety so the discussion may continue, makes talking with you difficult. It is like trying to get a firm hold on a live fish, and is quite frankly a little tiresome.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic

I read your post, and I replied to the post. That I referred specifically to the portion you had bolded in your post ought to make that much obvious. If I read it wrong, then explain what you were saying so that I may better understand your argument rather than having to resort to telepathy. Your penchant for insinuation in the case of a misunderstanding, rather than honest attempts to ensure your position is known in its entirety so the discussion may continue, makes talking with you difficult. It is like trying to get a firm hold on a live fish, and is quite frankly a little tiresome.

GabuEx

there is nothing intelligent about the fact that the Earth exerted a force on that ball that caused it to accelerate towards the Earth. It simply followed a natural law, just as evolution follows natural laws.

GabuEx

That depends entirely on one's thinking on the subject. What may seem random to an atheist may not seem as such to a theist. Neither can be proven right or wrong in this context. Science is ONLY the understanding man has of how the natural world works. That does not mean a supernatural entity is not a part of the puzzle. Merely that we can see how the pieces fit together without the need to apply it to the supernatural. So the fact that evolution occured does not mean a god was not the "science" behind the changes.

Again...it depends on one's perspective on what science explains to us.

LJS9502_basic

My post was self explanatory and you did not address it. Further a moderater should not be using ad hominem as a tactic in a discussion. I'm sure you are aware that atheists and theists have differing ideas on how the world exists and why. Thus while you believe it followed a natural law....which is merely the understanding humans place on the "science" of the universe with some degree of accuracy. It does not mean we understand everything in regard to how the world came to be. With further scientific advances we may find some things we believe today to be wrong tomorrow.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Teenaged

That depends entirely on one's thinking on the subject. What may seem random to an atheist may not seem as such to a theist. Neither can be proven right or wrong in this context. Science is ONLY the understanding man has of how the natural world works. That does not mean a supernatural entity is not a part of the puzzle. Merely that we can see how the pieces fit together without the need to apply it to the supernatural. So the fact that evolution occured does not mean a god was not the "science" behind the changes.

LJS9502_basic

My post was self explanatory and you did not address it. Further a moderater should not be using ad hominem as a tactic in a discussion. I'm sure you are aware that atheists and theists have differing ideas on how the world exists and why. Thus while you believe it followed a natural law....which is merely the understanding humans place on the "science" of the universe with some degree of accuracy. It does not mean we understand everything in regard to how the world came to be. With further scientific advances we may find some things we believe today to be wrong tomorrow.

LJS9502_basic

A post which I adressed (if I am allowed to address posts directed to others than me).

All the points you tried to refute with that post were points Gabu never made or implied. He explained that to you when he answered to you.

Further, he did not use an ad hominem against you but meh different people have different levels of sensitivity. Who am I to judge...

The additional points you add with the clarification you just posted seem to me like playing devils advocate since if I am not mistaken you do believe that evolution occurred.

Always awaiting to be corrected if I misjudged of course.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LJS9502_basic

A post which I adressed (if I am allowed to address posts directed to others than me).

All the points you tried to refute with that post were points Gabu never made or implied. He explained that to you when he answered to you.

Further, he did not use an ad hominem against you but meh different people have different levels of sensitivity. Who am I to judge...

The additional points you add with the clarification you just posted seem to me like playing devils advocate since if I am not mistaken you do believe that evolution occurred.

Teenaged

Do you answer for him? I wasn't in a discussion with you. Second he did not address my point vis a vis the difference between atheist and theist understanding of what science states. He also called theists close minded on page one.

Further I was not arguing per se but stating a differenece in perspective. He assumed it was an argument.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Do you answer for him? I wasn't in a discussion with you. Second he did not address my point vis a vis the difference between atheist and theist understanding of what science states. He also called theists close minded on page one.

Do I need permission to enter a discussion? This is a forum, not a place where you have private conversations.

He did adress the points you made. Only now did you make it clear what you meant.

You are misrepresenting what he actually said and meant. Dont do that. He replied to a poster who said that atheists are close-minded by telling him that the same can be said for theists. From a specific perspective both sides can appear close-minded. He didnt say that theists are by definition close-minded. Gabu is a theist himself. Would he call himself close-minded?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic

[Do I need permission to enter a discussion? This is a forum, not a place where you have private conversations.

He did adress the points you made. Only now did you make it clear what you meant.

You are misrepresenting what he actually said and meant. Dont do that. He replied to a poster who said that atheists are close-minded by telling him that the same can be said for theists. From a specific perspective both sides can appear close-minded. He didnt say that theists are by definition close-minded. Gabu is a theist himself. Would he call himself close-minded?

Teenaged

Then make your own argument and stop interpreting his posts.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Do I need permission to enter a discussion? This is a forum, not a place where you have private conversations.

LJS9502_basic

Then make your own argument and stop interpreting his posts.

................huh?

Make my own argument? Am I not allowed to just disagree with other people's arguments? Like I said before you do realise this is a public forum...

And if anything you are the one who intepreted his posts and I just corrected you because I realised what he meant.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LJS9502_basic

................huh?

Make my own argument? Am I not allowed to just disagree with other people's arguments? Like I said before you do realise this is a public forum...

And if anything you are the one who intepreted his posts and I just corrected you because I realised what he meant.

Teenaged

Uh no. I replied that atheists and theists have different views. As simple as that. He argued with me....not sure what his point was unless he believes they don't. He wasn't very clear....as he didn't directly address what I said. Because if so....then what is his argument? Second...you haven't established your argument. You keep repeating what he posted. If you wish to discuss...then do so. But not by interpreting someone's posts.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]................huh?

LJS9502_basic

Uh no. I replied that atheists and theists have different views. As simple as that. He argued with me....not sure what his point was unless he believes they don't. He wasn't very clear....as he didn't directly address what I said. Because if so....then what is his argument? Second...you haven't established your argument. You keep repeating what he posted. If you wish to discuss...then do so. But not by interpreting someone's posts.

No. At first you debated him on whether or not the occurances in the universe are random or not based on different prespective. You had thought he said that the occurances are random, while he clearly didnt. At that point I just corrected you by bringing to your attenion parts of his post you may have missed.

Like I said I merely corrected you when you interpreted his posts. And I did establish why my interpretation stands while your assumptions on his posts dont.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LJS9502_basic

No. At first you debated him on whether or not the occurances in the universe are random or not based on different prespective. You had thought he said that the occurances are random, while he clearly didnt. At that point I just corrected you by bringing to your attenion parts of his post you may have missed.

Like I said I merely corrected you when you interpreted his posts. And I did establish why my interpretation stands while your assumptions on his posts dont.

Teenaged

First I replied to his comment about close minded theists. Then I replied about differing perspectives. Which he turned into an argument. Which you now say he believes so I don't know what his argument was with what I said.

Where is the argument to this?

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

1. If the universe was born of the Big Bang, which was a singularity that either always existed or suddenly appeared for no reason, how can Universal Law even exist? Meaning, if evolution is real and there was no creation, how can universal laws like gravity, particles and atomic structure of basic elements be the same here as they are on the opposite side of the universe, a number of lightyears away that you cannot count to? How can such a thing be possible...it seems like things are preset to exist this way right here as well as infinte light years away. If evolution is real, then things far away shouldnt be like it is here...but they are. The basic elements of the universe seem to be unbias regardless of location in the universe...that bothers me and i really dont understand that. Air evoloved over time, water, carbons ect ect. Yet, infinite light years away they will remain the same as they are here, evolving exactly the same way. Evolution is supposed to be RANDOM...this makes absolutely no sense to me.

2. If the universe expanded to infinity, wouldn't it take an infinite amount of time to do so? Otherwise it is still expanding and there is an edge, which means there is a container for our universe, right? If there is no edge to the universe, then there was no beginning and you cannot say the universe is 13.5 billion years old because you are measuring the amount of time it takes to reach infinity. ( this is where i dont want to spark an argument, please dont argue :P ) But if infinity was instantly obtained after the big bang, to me it seems like only something that already existed with limitless power can make such a thing occur instantly. You've just broken the laws of math and physics in saying evolution of the universe took place, and the universe expanded to infinity in a measured amount of time however small.

3. Evolution seems to be based on the idea that 0 + 1 = 2. 0 being the absense of intelligence and the law that governs the existence of the idea of randomization ( which either doesnt exist but still allows for things to exist and occur, or that it always existed. ) 1 being anything else that exists then evolving, may it be people, life, planets, stars ect ect. How can the absense of intelligence create randomization? Yet on a universal, infinitely large scale that repeats itself indentically regardless of your location as mentioned in my first question.

4. Why are athiest people so closed minded about God only being that which is found in the Bible, or other written works. I've know some athiest who simply do not believe in god because the Bible to them is stupid or they dont like the way God is written. Personally, I am the polar opposite. If there is a God, I believe it isnt even remotely like that which is found in any literary works of religion. To some people, this means auto denying the existence of a higher power. Why? Since when do athiest have to believe anything written down? Just because it is said doesnt make it true...athiest of all people should not be bias towards that. Im not saying all do, but like i said ive know a few that automatically turn down the idea of a higher power simply because if their view of the bible.

4a. If there is a God like being, a higher power, couldn't it have created the universe and earth to be old? Many evolutionists and geologists believe the earth is close to 4 billion years old, for this reason they dont believe in god and that the bible is nonsense saying the earth is a few thousand years old. While i do not agree with that last idea, couldnt a higher power have created our universe to be aged? Why do so many athiests deny the existence of a god for this reason?

5. If aliens do exist, wouldnt they be jelous and very interested in our planet if the son of GOD came to us and not them? ....or if you believe in Jesus and god, what are your thoughts on the possibility that he also visited other alien planets? Mind bomb :D

deadpool86x

1. It is generally thought by many that the four fundamental forces that exist today, those beign the Weak Force, the Strong Force, the Nuclear Force and Gravity, all existed as one force. When that singularity began expanding each one of those forces seperated from that one force at different times. (There may even be some forces we are unaware of). They were basically all born of 1 and therefor uniform throughout. Evolution does not deal with the fundamental forces of nature nor does it deal with atomic structure. Evolution deals with biological organisms that already exist and their adaption to forces outside of their internal structure. Air, water, carbon, etc.. did not evolve over time. Their atomic mass, atomic makeup, etc are and have always been set. If these were different it would be a complete different element. Evolution is not random, it is adaption to outside forces via natural selection and a couple of other things to their outside environment. You know that misused term "The strong shall survive"? That is what evolution deals with, if bears with long fur and bears with short fur existed on an island and there was a catclysm that forced the temperature of the island to drop substantially forcing most of the bears to die the majority of the bears that would die would be short haired bears. The mutation or genetic makeup that allowed bears to grow long hair would then take a huge leap forward towards beign the norm and subsequent generations would have longer hair. This is evolution, the general flow in a genetic code of a species adapt to it's surroundings.

2. Who ever said the universe was gooing to expand into infinity? I have no idea what you're talking about here. Scientists agree that the universe had a beginning at some point in time. At least the way we see the universe now. They figure this out by taking the distance of several galaxies in the universe and the speed at which they are traveling apart from us. We know this occurs because of red shift and we know what elemnts make up the star and how far it is away from us via the light from it. The universe didn't expand to infinity.

3. The forces of the universe are again uniform throughout. At least that's how we treat them and observations have not told us differently. What you are asking here on the most basic level is "How can a universe so complex, at least by my understanding, be formed withotu a first cause that was not intelligent". My answer is, "Remember those 4 fundamental forces that were spojen about in the first reply? Those forces have worked together to form what we know of today as the universe. There was no helping hand needed as the means by which the universe would come to look as it is today already existed." and then I would add, "But if you want to take the stance that God created the Big Bang and these four fundamental forces why would the original cause, as you are statign God is, have to be intelligent? There are many causes in the universe, such as a the explosion of a star, that lead to complexity, such as the formation of a new star from that exploded material."

4, 4a. Atheist people, at least most of them, are not close minded about God in general. We are close minded abotu certain types of Gods. Those Gods being Gods, or interpretations of Him, that have been proven false by scientific advancement and observation. If you want to believe that God created the Big Bang then you go right ahead but remember there are other possible causes by which that could have occurred without an intelligent force behind it. It seems like society is creating and changing its image of God by what observations are made without any data or observation to back it up.

5. I don't believe in God

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Teenaged

Er...how can one be closed minded against atheism. It means lack of belief in a god in simple terms. I don't see where theists are close minded about that belief per se.

LJS9502_basic

Science cannot answer the question as to whether a god exists or not.......and a god can exist with our understanding of the universe we call science.LJS9502_basic

LJS9502_basic

These are the first three posts you answered to Gabu with.

The first one is the issue of Gabu supposedly claiming that theists are close-minded. I answered that.

The second also I answered. In it you refuted points that Gabu never made.

Same with the third. In the third you assume that Gabu with his words implies that God is not part of the puzzle due to the explanation science has given.

As for the different take people have on what science says... well, I dont think anyone refute that point of yours.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LJS9502_basic

The first one is the issue of Gabu supposedly claiming that theists are close-minded. I answered that.

Same with the third. In the third you assume that Gabu with his words implies that God is not part of the puzzle due to the explanation science has given.

As for the different take people have on what science says... well, I dont think anyone refute that point of yours.

Teenaged

Yes I know what I posted. The first was for Gabu to answer. You know sometimes in a discussion you can say something without he actually being an argument dude. You are inferring intent now. I merely made a statement in the third which you and he have turned into an argument. I did not state that he said anything in that post. I answered with what I thought. Now I asked what the argument was in that post. Neither you nor he have given me an answer except to say it was an argument.:roll:

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Teenaged

First I replied to his comment about close minded theists. Then I replied about differing perspectives. Which he turned into an argument. Which you now say he believes so I don't know what his argument was with what I said.

Where is the argument to this?

LJS9502_basic

Ok lets break it down:

"That depends entirely on one's thinking on the subject. What may seem random to an atheist may not seem as such to a theist."

Gabu never said that to an atheist its random. He pretty much shows how for both theists and atheists it isnt random (but they have different reasons why they believe it isnt random).

"Neither can be proven right or wrong in this context." Which ties with the above. Since both have different reasons behind believing it isnt random, there is no central and common parametre to help resolve whose reason is correct.

"Science is ONLY the understanding man has of how the natural world works." ....quite obviously. That would be a point worth making had Gabu said that science excludes the possibility of a deity. Which he didnt.

"That does not mean a supernatural entity is not a part of the puzzle. Merely that we can see how the pieces fit together without the need to apply it to the supernatural. So the fact that evolution occured does not mean a god was not the "science" behind the changes."

Again you are trying to refute a point Gabu never made.

"Again...it depends on one's perspective on what science explains to us." Again quite obviously since atheists are not the only ones that believe that science is valuable.

As you see, it is puzzling to see you refuting points Gabu never made. Unless of course you just wanted to emphasise.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

Yes I know what I posted. The first was for Gabu to answer. You know sometimes in a discussion you can say something without he actually being an argument dude. You are inferring intent now. I merely made a statement in the third which you and he have turned into an argument. I did not state that he said anything in that post. I answered with what I thought. Now I asked what the argument was in that post. Neither you nor he have given me an answer except to say it was an argument.:roll:

Then I am sure that if it wasnt an argument you could have made that clear the moment one of us answered to you with an argumentative attitude, that you were just making points to emphasise and/or just contribute to the discussion.

And I am also sure that if it werent an argument you wouldnt be asking right now for us to answer to it. ;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic

Ok lets break it down:

"

As you see, it is puzzling to see you refuting points Gabu never made. Unless of course you just wanted to emphasise.

Teenaged

Break it down all you want but nowhere in my post did I say Gabu said anything. I think the fact that it was my post shows it was my ideas dude.:|

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 BumFluff122

This thread seems to have taken a turn from explaning the fundamentals behind evolution, abiogenesis and cosmology and turned into a he said she said debate...

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
perspective is self serving and a necessary trait for survival... besides that it hardly ever represent reality to any magnitude that would be definitive.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Ok lets break it down:

"

LJS9502_basic

Break it down all you want but nowhere in my post did I say Gabu said anything. I think the fact that it was my post shows it was my ideas dude.:|

Next time make it apparent that you are not arguing and that 'it was (just) your ideas' because it deffinetely seemed like you were arguing, no matter how much you want to accuse me of inferring intent, in stead of letting us drag this conversation longer than it should be. It never hurts to be clearer when you type, even after a chance was given multiple times to do so.

Even now you could have just told me: "Yes I just wanted to emphasise, not argue".

Whatever...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Ok lets break it down:

"

Teenaged

Next time make it apparent that you are not arguing and that 'it was (just) your ideas' because it deffinetely seemed like you were arguing, no matter how much you want to accuse me of inferring intent, in stead of letting us drag this conversation longer than it should be. It never hurts to be clearer when you type, even after a chance was given multiple times to do so.

Even now you could have just told me: "Yes I just wanted to emphasise, not argue".

Whatever...

Maybe you shouldn't infer arguments behind every one of my posts.;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJS9502_basic

This thread seems to have taken a turn from explaning the fundamentals behind evolution, abiogenesis and cosmology and turned into a he said she said debate...

BumFluff122

Well science is merely humans understanding of how the universe works. And really...what more can be said after that?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Break it down all you want but nowhere in my post did I say Gabu said anything. I think the fact that it was my post shows it was my ideas dude.:|

LJS9502_basic

Whatever...

Maybe you shouldn't infer arguments behind every one of my posts.;)

Maybe you should be clearer when you post. ;) Or when people misunderstand you, be courteous enough to clear things out.

Besides I wasnt the only one who thought you were perhaps starting an argument.

Like I said if it werent an argument you wouldnt be asking of us to answer to it. You are giving yourself away.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BumFluff122

Well science is merely humans understanding of how the universe works. And really...what more can be said after that?

LJS9502_basic

And science has shown that evolution is factual. My original post was the last post on a page a few pages back trying to explain to the OP that that is what it is and how it's based on evidence we know. Obviously the OP is not aware of the evidence that shows it's what occurred. The suddenly this entire thread turned into a strawman/he said she said argument thread.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

BumFluff122

And science has shown that evolution is factual. My original post was the last post on a page a few pages back trying to explain to the OP that that is what it is and how it's based on evidence we know. Obviously the OP is not aware of the evidence that shows it's what occurred. The suddenly this entire thread turned into a strawman/he said she said argument thread.

Has someone said evolution doesn't happen?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 LJS9502_basic

Maybe you should be clearer when you post. ;) Or when people misunderstand you, be courteous enough to clear things out.

Like I said if it werent an argument you wouldnt be asking of us to answer to it. You are giving yourself away.

Teenaged

My post was clear. It was my thoughts. You turned it into an argument. Which is why I avoid discussions with you.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

My post was clear. It was my thoughts. You turned it into an argument. Which is why I avoid discussions with you.

No it wasnt. Just because you say so doesnt make it true. Like I said I wasnt the only one that interpreted it that way.

And like I also said, in the scenario that I misinterpreted your post then you could have made yourself clear from the beginning, rather than letting us make asses of ourselves by debating you, in which case you are as much to blame for the possible misunderstanding.

Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts

ill be brief 1 evolution isnt random...natural selection and all...there was and is choice 2. laws of math and physics can be improved and changed over time 3 we are 97% matched to chimps...meaning at one point we were closer and came from the same place 4.at the end of the day a man wrote the bible... 5. you assume the aliens know of us..and can get to us... they could be in the same boat we are or be far behind in middle ages in their timeweezyfb

I saw this long special about scientists who found fossils of ancesters that were far older then chimps that we came from, and that we didn't actually come directly from chimps. Don't hold me to that though, it's just what I saw on the program.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

The first post was basically questioning the reliability behind certain types of data concerning evolution. And by evolution I am referring to what the OP is referring to as evolution, that being evolution, abiogenesis and cosmology all rolled into one.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]ill be brief 1 evolution isnt random...natural selection and all...there was and is choice 2. laws of math and physics can be improved and changed over time 3 we are 97% matched to chimps...meaning at one point we were closer and came from the same place 4.at the end of the day a man wrote the bible... 5. you assume the aliens know of us..and can get to us... they could be in the same boat we are or be far behind in middle ages in their timeHellsing2o2

I saw this long special about scientists who found fossils of ancesters that were far older then chimps that we came from, and that we didn't actually come directly from chimps. Don't hold me to that though, it's just what I saw on the program.

Chimps and modern humans caqme from a common ancestor, we did not evolve from modern chimps. Is that what you're referring to? And chimps originiated from another species and they originiated from another species and soemwhere along those lines you can find things like lemur-like creatures and other simpler mammals.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BumFluff122"]And science has shown that evolution is factual. My original post was the last post on a page a few pages back trying to explain to the OP that that is what it is and how it's based on evidence we know. Obviously the OP is not aware of the evidence that shows it's what occurred. The suddenly this entire thread turned into a strawman/he said she said argument thread.

BumFluff122

The first post was basically questioning the reliability behind certain types of data concerning evolution. And by evolution I am referring to what the OP is referring to as evolution, that being evolution, abiogenesis and cosmology all rolled into one.

Ah his post was a bit long so I didn't give it much concentration. But I don't understand why people make it science vs faith anyway. They can and do coexist. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Has someone said evolution doesn't happen?LJS9502_basic

Ah his post was a bit long so I didn't give it much concentration. But I don't understand why people make it science vs faith anyway. They can and do coexist. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

No it doesn't have to be one or the other. However many theists (as well as certain atheists I'm sure) treat it as such. Religion can have whatever beliefs they prefer, however if those beliefs fall flatly against scientific data and scientific epistomological proof then that religion or belief is blind.

C3Le5tiaL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91 C3Le5tiaL
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts

It's "Atheist", not "Athiest". Get it right.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BumFluff122"]The first post was basically questioning the reliability behind certain types of data concerning evolution. And by evolution I am referring to what the OP is referring to as evolution, that being evolution, abiogenesis and cosmology all rolled into one.

BumFluff122

No it doesn't have to be one or the other. However many theists (as well as certain atheists I'm sure) treat it as such. Religion can have whatever beliefs they prefer, however if those beliefs fall flatly against scientific data and scientific epistomological proof then that religion or belief is blind.

Hmm...well I don't know that it's just theists that don't follow science closely. But as for what I've noticed most religious have no problem with science. Though I'm not saying that is absolute.:P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Teenaged

It's "Atheist", not "Athiest". Get it right.

C3Le5tiaL

You'd be impressed if you saw how many times and in how many ways that word is misspelt in OT. :P

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 BumFluff122

Hmm...well I don't know that it's just theists that don't follow science closely. But as for what I've noticed most religious have no problem with science. Though I'm not saying that is absolute.:PLJS9502_basic
With many of the debates and discussions here in the past many of the theists that conform to their beliefs doubt the evidence behind scientific data by calling into question such things as carbon dating or other dating methods by taking, for example, one instance where the carbon on a dinosaur bone was dated by a theist to show that dating methods were false but a carbon datign is only useful to a few tens of thousands of years. He was told that he would be datign the resin on the bone and not the bones itself as a result and came back with a date of a few thousand years and they use things like this to fasely show how carbon dating isn't accurate. I'm sure that almost everyone has no problem with certain aspects of science, it's when that science conflicts with their beliefs that some of them begin to call it into question instead of changing their beliefs to conform to the new evidence.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Hmm...well I don't know that it's just theists that don't follow science closely. But as for what I've noticed most religious have no problem with science. Though I'm not saying that is absolute.:PBumFluff122

With many of the debates and discussions here in the past many of the theists that conform to their beliefs doubt the evidence behind scientific data by calling into question such things as carbon dating or other dating methods by taking, for example, one instance where the carbon on a dinosaur bone was dated by a theist to show that dating methods were false but a carbon datign is only useful to a few tens of thousands of years. He was told that he would be datign the resin on the bone and not the bones itself as a result and came back with a date of a few thousand years and they use things like this to fasely show how carbon dating isn't accurate. I'm sure that almost everyone has no problem with certain aspects of science, it's when that science conflicts with their beliefs that some of them begin to call it into question instead of changing their beliefs to conform to the new evidence.

I think those theists are in the minority here. I've spent more time in OT.....and the users to which I think you are referring are the evangelicals. They are rather new to OT themselves. Most theists I've encountered here have no problem accepting science.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 BumFluff122

I think those theists are in the minority here. I've spent more time in OT.....and the users to which I think you are referring are the evangelicals. They are rather new to OT themselves. Most theists I've encountered here have no problem accepting science.LJS9502_basic
Most theists in general have no problem in accepting science. Heck even the pope even accepts certain aspects of science others completely write off, such as evolution of different species. It is those theists I am talking about the don't look at the data and instead come up with some philosphical argument (Such as does perceptual reality actually exist) to call into question if that data is real or not or merely have a misinterpretation of the data behind the scientific theories, facts or hypothesis that explain them and stubbornly refuse to even look at them. I'm not sure if the OP falls into either of these categories because it seems like he is askign questions rather than making statements in the form of questions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I think those theists are in the minority here. I've spent more time in OT.....and the users to which I think you are referring are the evangelicals. They are rather new to OT themselves. Most theists I've encountered here have no problem accepting science.BumFluff122

Most theists in general have no problem in accepting science. Heck even the pope even accepts certain aspects of science others completely write off, such as evolution of different species. It is those theists I am talking about the don't look at the data and instead come up with some philosphical argument (Such as does perceptual reality actually exist) to call into question if that data is real or not or merely have a misinterpretation of the data behind the scientific theories, facts or hypothesis that explain them and stubbornly refuse to even look at them. I'm not sure if the OP falls into either of these categories because it seems like he is askign questions rather than making statements in the form of questions.

In those cases I think it's more that they don't want to accept science than they are following a religion. Or it could be they only deal in literal analysis of the bible but that belies the reason the scripture uses metaphors. So I'm back to because they don't want to accept it.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 BumFluff122

In those cases I think it's more that they don't want to accept science than they are following a religion. Or it could be they only deal in literal analysis of the bible but that belies the reason the scripture uses metaphors. So I'm back to because they don't want to accept it.LJS9502_basic
Yes. That is exactly why. Their close-minded nature refuses to look at new evidence because they don't want to accept it. IT is not science's job to adapt to religion, it is religion job to adapt to science.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]In those cases I think it's more that they don't want to accept science than they are following a religion. Or it could be they only deal in literal analysis of the bible but that belies the reason the scripture uses metaphors. So I'm back to because they don't want to accept it.BumFluff122

Yes. That is exactly why. Their close-minded nature refuses to look at new evidence because they don't want to accept it. IT is not science's job to adapt to religion, it is religion job to adapt to science.

Indeed. Nice talking with you. Have to be heading out for family holiday time. Happy New Year Mr Fluff.....
Hellsing2o2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Hellsing2o2
Member since 2004 • 3504 Posts

[QUOTE="Hellsing2o2"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]ill be brief 1 evolution isnt random...natural selection and all...there was and is choice 2. laws of math and physics can be improved and changed over time 3 we are 97% matched to chimps...meaning at one point we were closer and came from the same place 4.at the end of the day a man wrote the bible... 5. you assume the aliens know of us..and can get to us... they could be in the same boat we are or be far behind in middle ages in their timeBumFluff122

Chimps and modern humans caqme from a common ancestor, we did not evolve from modern chimps. Is that what you're referring to? And chimps originiated from another species and they originiated from another species and soemwhere along those lines you can find things like lemur-like creatures and other simpler mammals.

Yeah, your right. I wasn't referring to modern chimps lol