"The rise of man child is caused by women empowerment"

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

A lot of preadult young men are reacting to this new stage of life by embracing the pleasures and the persona of their youth. This is a source of frustration to a lot of women and one of the reasons I wrote the book. If you were going to find him in his most extreme form you could look at the movie Knocked Up. What you hear from a lot of women is guys who are slow to commit, heavily ironic, uncertain about how they should behave or what women want. Theres a funny blog post on The Frisky, a dating website, titled Ask Me Out On A Damn Date. Dont ask me to hang out. Ask me out on a date.

The culture at large is uncertain about what it wants from its men. We give a lot of mixed messages. We say, on the one hand, that fathers are so important. At the same time, we say that fathers are optional. Many women seem to want men that are confident and have a strong sense of themselves. At the same time, they are put off by too much masculine, authoritativeness. I think a lot of men react to these mixed signals by retreating into themselves, becoming passive and reluctant and often waiting for women to make the first move.

Read More.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
This is the dumbest thing I have read in a very long time.
Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

what is this...

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

tbo, i'm glad i'm not needed.

women can take care of themselves and it has worked out great for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

This is the dumbest thing I have read in a very long time. Makhaidos

And I've been following American politics.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

This is the smartest thing I have read in a very long time.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Here's a thought: We stop trying to live up to what society (and by society I mean the media, which seems to be what society is all about), live our lives as best as we can and try to find some happiness within each and every one of us and our own means instead of chasing what they want us to believe is happiness. 

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Here's a thought: We stop trying to live up to what society (and by society I mean the media, which seems to be what society is all about), live our lives as best as we can and try to find some happiness within each and every one of us and our own means instead of chasing what they want us to believe is happiness. 

LordQuorthon

I've been riding that train for a very long time.  Lot's of leg room on it too!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

Mikey132

and then you do something wrong and a woman accuses you of rape and you go to jail because the judge works within the boundaries and instantly believes whatever the woman says...the jury does too.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

[QUOTE="Makhaidos"]This is the dumbest thing I have read in a very long time. metroidfood

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I thought this was going to be stupid. However, I actually think she brings up some points that are valid. Men and women are definitely on different life clocks. There is definitely a societal disconnect when it comes to "do women like gentlemanly acts/traditionalism? Or is opening doors/paying for dates now a thing of the past?" That's a legitimate concept. This whole "Neutral gender society" has increased rapidly since the 70's- 80's, and times have changed.

I don't know if I agree with the "20 year old men are children" vibe of the article, but this person isn't completely wrong.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Read the article, pretty interesting.

It's also almost exactly the subject of my wife's master thesis.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

The only issue I see with that article is women being the dominate in college.

Of course women are now becoming the dominate ones in college. Men don't need college when they have jobs that require skills; skills women generally lack, or don't do (construction, plumbing, electrician, etc..) - all of which pay more, or at college level jobs.

Men have more opportunity for success; women either get an education, or just stay at home watching Ellen @ 2.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon

Of course women are now becoming the dominate ones in college. Men don't need college when they have jobs that require skills; skills women generally lack, or don't do (construction, plumbing, electrician, etc..) - all of which pay more, or at college level jobs.

Men have more opportunity for success; women either get an education, or just stay at home watching Ellen @ 2.

Fightingfan

Not even close/10

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
Woman want to be more macho than men these days we must put them in their place, I say.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

It took me a while to figure women out, but I'll admit that when I was younger I was baffled by women saying they like nice guys then dating guys who abused them. It really made me feel like sh*t.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
Honestly, who gives a ****? Are you really going to live your life according to what someone else expects of you? Find out who you want to be, be it (or work towards it, rather), and then seek out someone who wants that.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

It took me a while to figure women out, but I'll admit that when I was younger I was baffled by women saying they like nice guys then dating guys who abused them. It really made me feel like sh*t.

MakeMeaSammitch

Words of wisdom from MakeMeaSammitch

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Don't agree with everything they say, but I think it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.  One thing I definitely disagree on is that it's specific to males.  This is just anecdotal, but I can point to dozens of examples of woman-children that I know in real life.  I think this is less about gender and more about the fact that we're living in a society that glorifies the consumption of media and consumer goods, so why wouldn't you expect people to spend tons of money on media and overpriced merchandise?  It's only being pushed down our throats 24/7.

I also dislike the equivalence drawn between passivity and "man-childishness."  Just because some men aren't extroverts doesn't mean they sit around all day playing video games, smoking weed, drinking, and doing nothing with their lives.  I interpret this as a problem of changing gender roles.  We've moved beyond the days of chivalry and expectations that men always have to make the first move, and now women are having to deal with some of the uncertainty that goes along with that.  I think more women need to start getting used to the idea that if they like a guy they should ask him out, welcome to the world of equality.  

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theone86

Honestly, who gives a ****? Are you really going to live your life according to what someone else expects of you? Find out who you want to be, be it (or work towards it, rather), and then seek out someone who wants that.mattbbpl

I don't think it's so much living up to others' expectations as it is living in a society.  We are necessarily influenced by our interactions with other people and base our expectations and behavior in part on dominant norms.  Hell is other people.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

metroidfood

Thats kind of what the article is talking about, that you posted sayying it was dumb.  Trust me there is a lot of misinformation and bs out their about men and women.  The way I see it there is a clash between idealogy and nature.  

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
This reads like she's not aware humans act differently in reality than in media. Surprise, surprise but there's a LOT of grown ass women out there who throw little girl hissy fits too. People keep this weird idea that maturity is about being emotionally disconnected or outright dead and it leads to weird shit like this where someone has an immature take on how others live their lives.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Honestly, who gives a ****? Are you really going to live your life according to what someone else expects of you? Find out who you want to be, be it (or work towards it, rather), and then seek out someone who wants that.theone86

I don't think it's so much living up to others' expectations as it is living in a society.  We are necessarily influenced by our interactions with other people and base our expectations and behavior in part on dominant norms.  Hell is other people.

We don't live in a bubble - society will influence who we are and, hopefully, who we want to be. But the OP is talking about contradictory messages about who we SHOULD be. Personal growth is something that we should all aspire to, but who we want to be is something we need to figure out for ourselves. We shouldn't worry about what someone wants us to be - we should figure out who we want to be and strive for that.

I don't mean that in a metaphysical, abstract kind of way either. In very concrete terms you should identify who you want to be, how you fall short, and then identify a way to work towards that actualization. Do you want to be more assertive and vocal? Do you want to be a better listener? Do you want to more confident? Do you want to display more humility? There are positive traits along a sliding spectrum (within reason, of course - too much of a good thing and all that), but where you want to fall on that scale is a personal decision.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Honestly, who gives a ****? Are you really going to live your life according to what someone else expects of you? Find out who you want to be, be it (or work towards it, rather), and then seek out someone who wants that.mattbbpl

We don't live in a bubble - society will influence who we are and, hopefully, who we want to be. But the OP is talking about contradictory messages about who we SHOULD be. Personal growth is something that we should all aspire to, but who we want to be is something we need to figure out for ourselves. We shouldn't worry about what someone wants us to be - we should figure out who we want to be and strive for that.

I don't mean that in a metaphysical, abstract kind of way either. In very concrete terms you should identify who you want to be, how you fall short, and then identify a way to work towards that actualization. Do you want to be more assertive and vocal? Do you want to be a better listener? Do you want to more confident? Do you want to display more humility? There are positive traits along a sliding spectrum (within reason, of course - too much of a good thing and all that), but where you want to fall on that scale is a personal decision.

Messages about who we should be influece who we choose to be, whether we follow them exactly or not.  One person may read this article and think the writer is dead wrong, the next may think the writer is right, and a third may fall somewhere in-between.  Each one of them reacts to the article, though, and in some small way (or perhaps large way) adjusts their behavior accordingly.  There are necessarily going to be contradictory messages about who we should be floating around in society, it's our job to sort through those messages and choose how we react to them.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Fightingfan

Right. Because if I walk into a building asking for a job, I'm going to get it because I'm a man. I need an education just as much as women do, don't make me laugh.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

WilliamRLBaker

and then you do something wrong and a woman accuses you of rape and you go to jail because the judge works within the boundaries and instantly believes whatever the woman says...the jury does too.

Well, I gotta say I was not expecting that reply.   That could happen whether you follow society or not.  That would just be plain bad luck.    

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I need an education just as much as women do, don't make me laugh.soolkiki

No one needs an education for financial prosperity.

People will learn when they're 30+ years old paying off student loans, and still don't have a stable job.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86

[QUOTE="soolkiki"] I need an education just as much as women do, don't make me laugh.Fightingfan
No on needs an education for financial prosperity. People will learn when they're 30+ years old paying off student loans, and still don't have a stable job.

This is a misconception about a college degree.  Yes, it is getting increasingly harder to find steady work in the field which you studied for, but college degrees still increase your odds of landing employment with each subsequent degree, with the exception of possibly a doctorate.  

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

mahlasor

Thats kind of what the article is talking about, that you posted sayying it was dumb.  Trust me there is a lot of misinformation and bs out their about men and women.  The way I see it there is a clash between idealogy and nature.  

I think it's a legitimate complaint against younger women.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

So now this?  I thought men were misogynists.  Maybe it's the women have an identity issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

So by empowering women, we've disempowered men, stunting their growth to adulthood? I don't agree. Just because more and more women are out there making a life for themselves doesn't mean men have less opportunity for success. Men can still be men while man-children choose to remain man-children.

The article suggests that it's fear of competition and/or rejection that pushes men to their glass box where they don't need to grow up. I think that's partially why there's such animosity towards feminism these days (on the internet especially). It's because men have always been the primary workforce and the highest educated, and it creates a cognitive dissonance for men who aren't successful or (i.e. the man-child) when feminists say that men have an inherent advantage because of their gender. Rather than thinking that MAYBE there's a shred of truth to that statement, they dismiss it outright because they haven't personally benefited from being male.

I dunno, I'm no sociologist, just a guy who reads a lot of asinine things from man-children on the internet and tries not to get distressed by it.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Don't agree with everything they say, but I think it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.  One thing I definitely disagree on is that it's specific to males.  This is just anecdotal, but I can point to dozens of examples of woman-children that I know in real life.  I think this is less about gender and more about the fact that we're living in a society that glorifies the consumption of media and consumer goods, so why wouldn't you expect people to spend tons of money on media and overpriced merchandise?  It's only being pushed down our throats 24/7.

I also dislike the equivalence drawn between passivity and "man-childishness."  Just because some men aren't extroverts doesn't mean they sit around all day playing video games, smoking weed, drinking, and doing nothing with their lives.  I interpret this as a problem of changing gender roles.  We've moved beyond the days of chivalry and expectations that men always have to make the first move, and now women are having to deal with some of the uncertainty that goes along with that.  I think more women need to start getting used to the idea that if they like a guy they should ask him out, welcome to the world of equality.  

theone86
Women asking out guys. If only.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
[QUOTE="theone86"]

Capitan_Kid

Hey, it happens. Some girls do actually decide to take action rather than just give off ambiguous signs of interest. Some realize that we're dumb and absolutely will not pick up on their indirect hints lol.
EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Fightingfan

I'm pretty sure women can become construction workers or plumbers if they want to. It's not like they're physcially or mentally incapable of doings those things. It's just that they are not encouraged to pursue those things. Gender roles and all that crap.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Capitan_Kid

It happens its how i got all my girlfriends

SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

So by empowering women, we've disempowered men, stunting their growth to adulthood? I don't agree. Just because more and more women are out there making a life for themselves doesn't mean men have less opportunity for success. Men can still be men while man-children choose to remain man-children.Guppy507

That would depend on what one would mean by "opportunity for success".

If it was about the amount of women available for relationships (given that the article seems to be more or less mostly about relationships and expectations of genders from each other, I am completely skipping other areas such as career opportunities and whatnot), then yes, the "opportunity" should be more or less the same as has always been as there does not seem to be a shortage of women who would want to be in relationships. But if one would mean the overall difficulty of getting into relationship with a suitable partner, then I am missing on your part arguments as to why you disagree with the article.

You say "men can still be men", but that in itself may not necessarily be in contradiction with the article (or the extract in OP) since one could interpret the article as claims that what it means to be / act like a "man" is changing ("The culture at large is uncertain about what it wants from its men.", "Many women seem to want men that are confident and have a strong sense of themselves. At the same time, they are put off by too much masculine, authoritativeness.") and that some men are finding it difficult (or not worth?) to live up to those supposedly changing standards.

Personally, I think that there might be something about it or to say the least, the line of (very simplified and blunt) reasoning...
1. Women are "empowered". -> 2. They start to grow (as persons or otherwise). -> 3. Their expectations for their prospective partners grow / change as a result of their own growth / change. -> 4. (Some) Men find it more difficult to meet those growing / changing expectations of women from them. -> 5. Some decide to give up on / to not rush to to meeting those new expectations (and become menchildren?).
... does not seem that flawed to me. :?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GummiRaccoon

So by empowering women, we've disempowered men, stunting their growth to adulthood? I don't agree. Just because more and more women are out there making a life for themselves doesn't mean men have less opportunity for success. Men can still be men while man-children choose to remain man-children.

The article suggests that it's fear of competition and/or rejection that pushes men to their glass box where they don't need to grow up. I think that's partially why there's such animosity towards feminism these days (on the internet especially). It's because men have always been the primary workforce and the highest educated, and it creates a cognitive dissonance for men who aren't successful or (i.e. the man-child) when feminists say that men have an inherent advantage because of their gender. Rather than thinking that MAYBE there's a shred of truth to that statement, they dismiss it outright because they haven't personally benefited from being male.

I dunno, I'm no sociologist, just a guy who reads a lot of asinine things from man-children on the internet and tries not to get distressed by it.

Guppy507

No, it's a whole generation of little girls being empowered while little boys got ignored or cast aside.  Little boys have no power whatsoever.  There is no inherent advantage while you are a child.  Humans are social creatures, so if you raise 1 group to think they are special and raise another group with the idea that they are unneeded you see the fruits of that when they grow up.

This is exactly how children were educated before the 80's and 90's except it was the girls who were being left out.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Seems people are threatened by a strong man because there are so many frankly wimpy men these days. There are alot of children who don't even know who their fathers are with no strong male role models. Often children are raised by a bitter single woman who talks badly about men. The children grow up and have no idea how a family fuctions or even how a relationship works. Then they become adults and just make things up and hope for the best. The men let the women take the dominate role because that is what they saw growing up.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Seems people are threatened by a strong man because there are so many frankly wimpy men these days. There are alot of children who don't even know who their fathers are with no strong male role models. Often children are raised by a bitter single woman who talks badly about men. The children grow up and have no idea how a family fuctions or even how a relationship works. Then they become adults and just make things up and hope for the best. The men let the women take the dominate role because that is what they saw growing up.

no-scope-AK47

hF473E76E

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

My theory has been that the guys who are able to be man-children (support from parents) do so because they realize it's probably a better lifestyle than the alternative of working their ass off at McDonalds. It's arisen due to the current economic reality facing young men who often have parents with money.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Hymowitz agreed to discuss her controversial theory, how she did her research and why she is not engaging in male bashing but is actually sympathetic to men who find themselves in a post-feministworld.Article

I shiggy diggy

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mahlasor

no-scope-AK47

In my observations I think there is a lot of truth to that.  

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

My theory has been that the guys who are able to be man-children (support from parents) do so because they realize it's probably a better lifestyle than the alternative of working their ass off at McDonalds. It's arisen due to the current economic reality facing young men who often have parents with money.

superfluidity
I have to agree with that. I've seen too many bratty teenagers/kids with Phones not because they deserve it, but because "All their friends have one".
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Why are your Topics always linked to such shitty articles? Do you purposely scour the internet for this shit?
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mahlasor

[QUOTE="no-scope-AK47"]

HoolaHoopMan

Or perhaps our society is slowly divorcing from our old patriarchal ways. Gone are the days where uneducated goons like yourself are considered the dominant specimen of our gender, and now people with actual intelligence are slipping into more lead roles. You may consider yourself 'strong' in a dumb caveman way, but your posts show you for what you really are: a dumb animal that's quickly becoming obsolete.

That is the dumbest thing I have read in a while.  So if a guy is strong, he is a dumb caveman?  You do realise that Arnold Swartzeneggar was a really strong guy who is also really smart... right?  I guess you have been living under a rock all these years.  

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="no-scope-AK47"]

mahlasor

Or perhaps our society is slowly divorcing from our old patriarchal ways. Gone are the days where uneducated goons like yourself are considered the dominant specimen of our gender, and now people with actual intelligence are slipping into more lead roles. You may consider yourself 'strong' in a dumb caveman way, but your posts show you for what you really are: a dumb animal that's quickly becoming obsolete.

That is the dumbest thing I have read in a while.  So if a guy is strong, he is a dumb caveman?  You do realise that Arnold Swartzeneggar was a really strong guy who is also really smart... right?  I guess you have been living under a rock all these years.  

No, I'm not saying that at all. If you have read is posts in the past you'd know he uses the same rhetoric repeatedly.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#50 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="no-scope-AK47"]

HoolaHoopMan

Damn, that's harsh.

He is dumb and he is one of the OT's resident manchildren, but using the word "animal" is going too far IMO.