"Looper" is out today! - Anyone hyped?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

So is it good?

leviathan91

Oh yeah, very much so.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#102 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

So is it good?

leviathan91
its worth seeing.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

So is it good?

Allicrombie

its worth seeing.

That answer is not even remotely close to what leviathan91 was asking. It's a fairly simple question to be honest. "...is it good?" is a yes or no question. What wasn't aksed, and I don't know how you inferred this, is whether or not it's worth watching. But I have to suppose that your repsonse is just a roundabout way of saying it's good.

DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
lol
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#105 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Is this one of the best movies of the year?

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

mitu123

That is a very hard question to answer, unless you've seen every movie that has been and will be released. But it's one of the best films to have been released this year, so far as my opinion goes.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

mitu123

I don't think it's one of the best movies ever like some posts here act like it is. But it's a solid flick. Of this year? Yes.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

well, American audiences have shown that they would much rather watch Hotel Transylvania than this

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#109 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

Looper may become another Inception for me. I need to see it a second time so I can just sit back and enjoy watching the movie, like I did with Inception.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts

Looper may become another Inception for me. I need to see it a second time so I can just sit back and enjoy watching the movie, like I did with Inception.

Avian005
Inception? Was it that deep?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Just came back from it. I thought it was okay.

The movie is wayyy overrated though. It was good but not THAT good. I thought the premise was great but the execution felt lacking. The story ends up completely different than what I thought it would be.

Blazerdt47
Isn't that a good thing?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

just came back from seeing. i thought it was really good overall, but here are some of my gripes:

[spoiler] jgl's character falls onto a car in the beginning of the movie but suffers no noticeable injuries. i mean, he caved in the rooftop, and then we see him sprinting several scenes later.

they say that they created loopers because they can't kill anyone in the future because of some sort of tagging system. this just seems unbelievable in the world they present, because there seems to be no order at all. jeff daniels' character even uses the police during the hunt for jgl and bruce willis. so who would actually care if people were getting killed, and why would it be that big of a issue? hell, they even kill bruce willis' wife in the future.

[/spoiler]

TacticalDesire

Yeah...[spoiler] That was my slight problem with the plot. The entire thing is based around Loopers because it's so difficult to kill and dispose of a body in the future. Then they just go and kill Bruce Willis' wife like its nothing. Additionally killing and disposing of bodies is difficult in the future, but their solution is to engage in time travel, something that is supposedly in that time period heavily illegal and extremely prohibited, but I mean that's a lesser complaint, I guess if time travel is harder to trace then it's a safer law to break. [/spoiler]

Yeah but... [spoiler] Killing Willis' wife was clearly an accident/mistake. It's not as if they INTENDED to kill his wife. If you're gonna nitpick about that, then there's a far bigger problem...Why have loopers at all? I mean...the whole point of loopers is for body disposal, right? So...why is it even necessary to send the people back in time to be killed in the past? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just murder people in the future and then use the past as a dumping ground for dead bodies? So yeah...forget about Bruce Willis' wife. Yeah...they didn't mean to kill her, it was an accident, whatever. Why the hell can't they just stuff her corpse into the time machine and dump it into the past? Sure...maybe one can hypothesize that only living tissue can be sent back. But that's never been stated in the movie as part of The Rules, and wouldn't make sense anyway given that the people being sent back in time to be killed obviously keep their clothes/gold/silver. [/spoiler]
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Can't decide to see this or The Master.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

just came back from seeing. i thought it was really good overall, but here are some of my gripes:

[spoiler] jgl's character falls onto a car in the beginning of the movie but suffers no noticeable injuries. i mean, he caved in the rooftop, and then we see him sprinting several scenes later.

they say that they created loopers because they can't kill anyone in the future because of some sort of tagging system. this just seems unbelievable in the world they present, because there seems to be no order at all. jeff daniels' character even uses the police during the hunt for jgl and bruce willis. so who would actually care if people were getting killed, and why would it be that big of a issue? hell, they even kill bruce willis' wife in the future.

[/spoiler]

TacticalDesire

Yeah...[spoiler] That was my slight problem with the plot. The entire thing is based around Loopers because it's so difficult to kill and dispose of a body in the future. Then they just go and kill Bruce Willis' wife like its nothing. Additionally killing and disposing of bodies is difficult in the future, but their solution is to engage in time travel, something that is supposedly in that time period heavily illegal and extremely prohibited, but I mean that's a lesser complaint, I guess if time travel is harder to trace then it's a safer law to break. [/spoiler]

So what if they killed his wife in the future? It wasn't a movie about what happened to the guys who killed BW wife in the future. We have no idea what happened to the men who killed his wife...
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MrGeezer
Anyway, here are my thoughts... [spoiler] Definitely a good movie, but it's got its problems. I think that time travel movies are going to necessarily have stuff for people to **** about, and this is no exception. But let's make this very clear...this is NOT a "time travel movie". This movie is not ABOUT the time travel. In the grand scale of things, te time travel logic is potentially riddled with all sorts of problems, but that's not the point. The movie is about the characters, and the time travel is merely used as a device to allow us to see Joe interact with the man who he will eventually become. If you're the kind of person who can't watch a time travel movie without focusing on the mechanics of time travel, you'll probably hate it. But if you can suspend your disbelief enough to the point of NOT CARING how well the time travel logic holds up, then it is a good movie. The acting is good. Joseph Gordon Levitt is good as always, and Bruce Willis gives a good performance. The action scenes are mostly pretty good Granted, there's stuff I didn't care for too much. I don't think that the basic premise even holds up entirely...but what the hell, that was established within the opening exposition. Which brings e to another thing...I liked the movie a lot, but I think it was a bit too heavy on the exposition. Too much "telling" when I think it could have used a bit more "showing". But, whatever. Also, the whole "TK" thing sort of bugged me. It was brought up early in the film and then dropped. Which is kind of weird, but whatever. Then we find out that the big bad guy, the whole motivation for Bruce Willis' character was for him to kill this superpowered telekinetic monster who eventually kills his wife. And really, at that point, the film almost lost me once I realized that happened. Because, ridiculous premise aside, the movie seemed to be trying to ground itself in reality. And then, all of a sudden, we've got super-powered children doing $*** straight out of Akira or Dragonball-Z. And at that point, I'm just thinking, "this works, I guess...but now this is sorting of seeming to depart from the realm of science fiction and turning into freaking MAGIC". At least Dragonball-Z built up a progression of powers. Characters got stronger by repeatedly kicking each others' asses. At least Akira set up a progression of telekinetic abilities. The government experimented on a LOT of kids, to varying degrees of success, and that was supported by the use of drugs deliberately intended to enhance such abilities. But the way it was handled here was sort of weird. Early on we get Joseph Gordon Levitt's character doing voiceover narration saying stuff like, "People thought that TK would result in superheroes, but it just ended up in a lot of @$$****s levitating quarters. And then we go from THAT to seeing $*** like a 7 year old kid doing some scary-ass Monster S***, and then turning a dude inside-out and exploding a ****ing 3-story house. WHERE IS THE PROGRESSION here? Yes, I realized that they established a world where telekinetic abilities exist. But this is also a world where that's nothing but a cheap-ass lame parlor trick equivalent to a bad pick-up line. We go straight from THAT, to freaking 7 year old children who can seriously flat-out do S*** straight out of Akira or Dragonball Z. And yes...that's pretty ****ing jarring. And yes...I also realized that this was foreshadowed by Old Joe's EXPOSITION about "The Rainmaker". The thing is, nobody seems to know anything about the dude. His entire purpose seems to be "extremely powerful dude who f***s Bruce Willis over and causes Bruce Wilis to go back in time to stop the Big Bad Guy. But here's the thing...this is a time travel movie. At the very least, can't they find a way of having the Big Bad Guy get power and conquer everything by utilizing time travel? Or...here's another possibility. How about having the Big Bad Guy gain power through POLITICAL means or something. You know...turn him into another Hitler or something, rather than make him into freaking GOKU. So yeah...I had a little bit of a problem with that. But...as long as we're on that topic, at least the Super Powered Magical Boy did a really good job of being creepy and menacing and scary. Yeah...as much as how I hate how that part of the story went, at least the kid sold me on the character and was actually scary. But yeah...ultimately the movie isn't even really about time travel or super-powered godlike magical children. It's more about a man meeting his older self, how people don't change at all, even though we think we do, violence and selfishness loops around and causes more violence and selfishness. On that note, I think the movie works very well. It's ultimately about a wretched man meeting his older self. Hearing from his older self how he's a different man now and everything has changed. But it hasn't. The older wiser man is just as much of a self-centered dick as the ignorant kid, perhaps even moreso. And putting the two selves together, letting them interact with each other makes that painfully clear, and ultimately seeing that comparison is the only thing thing that results in the @$$h*** of a protagonist to do the selfless thing. And that's sort of depressing, because he IS a jerk and he discovers that he's only going to become even more of a jerk while hiding behind the notions of wisdom and love and experience and selflessness. All of that stuff Old Joe is saying is just total BS, and ultimately the best thing that Young Joe can do is to off himself before he turns into an even bigger dick. And...that's actually pretty ****ing depressing. Jesus. Now that I think about it, that's ****ing awful. Still, good movie. [/spoiler]
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#116 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Not excited.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

[/spoiler]

MrGeezer

Yeah but... [spoiler] Killing Willis' wife was clearly an accident/mistake. It's not as if they INTENDED to kill his wife. If you're gonna nitpick about that, then there's a far bigger problem...Why have loopers at all? I mean...the whole point of loopers is for body disposal, right? So...why is it even necessary to send the people back in time to be killed in the past? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just murder people in the future and then use the past as a dumping ground for dead bodies? So yeah...forget about Bruce Willis' wife. Yeah...they didn't mean to kill her, it was an accident, whatever. Why the hell can't they just stuff her corpse into the time machine and dump it into the past? Sure...maybe one can hypothesize that only living tissue can be sent back. But that's never been stated in the movie as part of The Rules, and wouldn't make sense anyway given that the people being sent back in time to be killed obviously keep their clothes/gold/silver. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] I think that the way the trackers worked was that once a person died it would send an update on it's location to authorities or whoever. And would continue to send it's location as long as it was still functional. Which I guess would raise the question of why wouldn't an alert come up if a tracker disappeared. Guess the system was not actively tracking and recording everyone 24/7. [/spoiler]
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

well, American audiences have shown that they would much rather watch Hotel Transylvania than this

TheFallenDemon
I want to see Hotel Transylvania. :|
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#120 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Well I just got back from it and have only one thing to say about it...

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 chessmaster1989

Also, the slow-mo kid shots were unintentionally hilarious.sammyjenkis898

The kid's character on the whole was unintentionally hilarious.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

chessmaster1989
Like/dislike/hate/are we best movie-bros again?
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

sammyjenkis898

Like/dislike/hate/are we best movie-bros again?

Yo sammy we're always best movie bros no matter how many times you're wrong. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#124 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

What the hell did I just watch?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#125 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

The movie died when JGL arrived at the farm.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#126 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
It looks promising I try to avoid trailers to keep my hopes high
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Oh look, this thread is back. Well, obviously based on my sig I loved the hell out of it.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Was pretty hyped for it, previews looked really good.

Was disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I was expecting a great movie and it was just decent.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]Also, the slow-mo kid shots were unintentionally hilarious.chessmaster1989

The kid's character on the whole was unintentionally hilarious.

I actually liked the kid. [spoiler] Granted, I've already stated that I didn't like the huge Magical Supervillain angle that entirely revolved around the kid. But aside from disliking the very premise, I thought that it was executed fairly well. The kid actually gave a genuine creepy vibe the entire time. And when he got pissed off, I actually thought he did a pretty good job of being intimidating. At least as far as kids in movies go, I think he did a great job. [/spoiler]
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#130 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
Never even heard of it.
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#131 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

It was amazing untill

[spoiler] the kid was the all powerful being who controls the mob in the future so they have to kill him in the present so Joe can be happy with his wife [/spoiler]

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Wot I Think:

- Bruce Willis was right dammit

- Young Joe is an idiot

- What's so bad about killing the kids, especially when you know one of them will turn into the Rainmaker?

- That guy with the ponytail looks so much like a young Jeff Bridges!

- The time travel rules made no sense but it really didn't matter. Great idea to have Bruce say that.

- Magic evil kids suck. Always.

- I felt bad for the badass looper that finds young Joe on the farm

- Emily Blunt is waifu material

- Best scene: old dude falling apart

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#133 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

mitu123

Watch the movie halfway through and then leave. That way you will be left with the false impression that it is the best movie of the year... the end scuked. It was not just the ending but the lead up to it was kind of dumb imo.

Bruce Willis's as of late seems to be in movies with best trailers, but only to be left disappointed with the final product. Ex. Expendables, Surrogates, etc.