Psychological differences between Liberals&Conservatives????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

I'm not really clued up on politics and all that, but I do have opinions on certain things like homosexuality, gun control, gay marriage etc, but I was just wondering what makes a person liberal or conservative? What kind of mind set makes you one or the other? I've heard that liberals are more rebellious to authority while conservatives are more obedient and more respectful of leadership.

How do I know if I am lib or con, can a person be both???

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Tell us your views on each topic and we'll grade you on a scale of which way you lean more - liberal or conservative. :)

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I remember reading about some study that was done awhile ago that conservatives have a higher tendency to rationalize than liberals do and as a result are happier on average.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Just form your own opinions about the things you find important and don't worry about staying within the liberal or conservative agenda

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

The majority of Conservatives are assholes, and the majority of Liberals are morons.

That is the difference.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

The majority of Conservatives are assholes, and the majority of Liberals are morons.

That is the difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

I remember reading about some study that was done awhile ago that conservatives have a higher tendency to rationalize than liberals do and as a result are happier on average.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/liberals.atheists.sex.intelligence/

Just try and stop us

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Maybe a quick breakdown of the key differences would help you determine where you align. Here you go:

Liberals: Support and believe in the idea that government action should lead to equal opportunity and general equality. They believe that a key purpose of the government is to balance out areas of social inequality and protect individual rights, as well as to ensure that no one is left behind socially or economically. The key concept here is: The government should work to fix our problems.

Coservatives: Key concepts include limited government, support of a free market, individual liberty and responsibility, traditional values, and strong national defense. Basically, the idea is that government should be around simply to protect and ensure that the people have the freedom to achieve whatever it is that they want to achieve, while offering little in the way of true solutions/interference.

That's all in theory, of course. In real world situations, your mileage may vary.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Just try and stop us

"and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say"

yeah, that might happen...

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I feel like it's important to point out that there's more than just liberals and conservatives , as Noam Chomsky once said "the smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum"

@Aljosa23 said:

Just try and stop us

well duh

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

conservatives seem to be butt hurt almost all the time

liberals are bleeding hearts with their hands out.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: isnt it quite liberal to support equal marriage rights?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

It's funny that conservatves are economically liberal.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xeno_ghost

@jasean79: "Tell us your views on each topic and we'll grade you on a scale of which way you lean more - liberal or conservative"

I will do that but not just yet, I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on my views just yet lol

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 themajormayor
@thegerg said:

@xeno_ghost said:

Not as I see it. As a conservative I don't like the idea of the state having such control over who can marry who.

How is that conservative?

"Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions."

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Differences? Hmm, probably what motivates them...

Loading Video...

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

There's probably a bit of a culture clash between Americans and Europeans when talking about political terms like liberals and conservatives.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: "Marriage is a traditional social institution. I don't like the idea of the state having such control over who can take part in it"

I guess your talking about gay marriage

which isn't traditional.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@osirisx3 said:

conservatives seem to be butt hurt almost all the time

liberals are bleeding hearts with their hands out.

In America, it's because the country is gradually moving away from their outdated values.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Assassin_87 said:

Maybe a quick breakdown of the key differences would help you determine where you align. Here you go:

Liberals: Support and believe in the idea that government action should lead to equal opportunity and general equality. They believe that a key purpose of the government is to balance out areas of social inequality and protect individual rights, as well as to ensure that no one is left behind socially or economically. The key concept here is: The government should work to fix our problems.

Coservatives: Key concepts include limited government, support of a free market, individual liberty and responsibility, traditional values, and strong national defense. Basically, the idea is that government should be around simply to protect and ensure that the people have the freedom to achieve whatever it is that they want to achieve, while offering little in the way of true solutions/interference.

That's all in theory, of course. In real world situations, your mileage may vary.

This is actually a really fair breakdown.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 themajormayor

@Assassin_87 said:

What defines a liberal is what I bolded there. It's completely liberal. Very little of what you wrote was liberal has actually anything to do with liberalism. Some of it like almost anti-thetical to liberalism. And what you wrote as a conservative is actually a liberal-conservative.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@Assassin_87 said:

What defines a liberal is what I bolded there. It's completely liberal. Very little of what you wrote was liberal has actually anything to do with liberalism. Some of it like almost anti-thetical to liberalism. And what you wrote as a conservative is actually a liberal-conservative.

Fair enough. Those are more so general ideologies that define those camps as we understand them in modern American politics.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 themajormayor

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:
@thegerg said:

@xeno_ghost said:

Not as I see it. As a conservative I don't like the idea of the state having such control over who can marry who.

"Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions."

Marriage is a traditional social institution. I don't like the idea of the state having such control over who can take part in it.

Don't be such a cuntface gerg.

"conservatism, political doctrine that emphasizes the value of traditional institutions and practices." The state having control over who can take part of it is a traditional practice, the opposite is not. Having equal marriage rights is not a traditional practice.

Cuntface gerg.

There is no reason to insult anyone. Please try to act like an adult.

Having equal marriage rights certainly is traditional, not all governments enforce the same rules, you know. Anyway, whether or not it's traditional has no bearing on why I support it.

You try to act like an adult. Don't be an insult to humanity cuntface.

Where is it traditional? Certainly not in that smelly medieval country you live in. Well you did imply that you support it because you were a conservative. In that case it does have bearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_same-sex_unions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_same-sex_marriage

http://www.firstpeople.us/articles/the-two-spirit-people-of-indigenous-north-americans.html

"Certainly not in that smelly medieval country you live in."

I'm not sure where it is that you think that I live, but you're failing to accurately describe it.

"Well you did imply that you support it because you were a conservative. In that case it does have bearing."

No, it does not. The reason that I support it as a conservative is because I don't like the state having such control over who can marry (as I've already stated, try reading the thread next time). My belief on the matter has nothing to do with tradition.

I accuratly described the USA. And no, same-sex marriage is not traditional in the smelly USA. The indigenous victims were never an inegral part of the smelly USA.

But conservatim is defined upon tradition. So yes. If you supported it as a liberal it would make sense.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

I think I did hear something similar about conservatives being happier. I guess liberals are more likely to be sad, negative nancy pelosis.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 themajormayor

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:
@thegerg said:

@xeno_ghost said:

Marriage is a traditional social institution. I don't like the idea of the state having such control over who can take part in it.

Don't be such a cuntface gerg.

"conservatism, political doctrine that emphasizes the value of traditional institutions and practices." The state having control over who can take part of it is a traditional practice, the opposite is not. Having equal marriage rights is not a traditional practice.

Cuntface gerg.

There is no reason to insult anyone. Please try to act like an adult.

Having equal marriage rights certainly is traditional, not all governments enforce the same rules, you know. Anyway, whether or not it's traditional has no bearing on why I support it.

You try to act like an adult. Don't be an insult to humanity cuntface.

Where is it traditional? Certainly not in that smelly medieval country you live in. Well you did imply that you support it because you were a conservative. In that case it does have bearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_same-sex_unions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_same-sex_marriage

http://www.firstpeople.us/articles/the-two-spirit-people-of-indigenous-north-americans.html

"Certainly not in that smelly medieval country you live in."

I'm not sure where it is that you think that I live, but you're failing to accurately describe it.

"Well you did imply that you support it because you were a conservative. In that case it does have bearing."

No, it does not. The reason that I support it as a conservative is because I don't like the state having such control over who can marry (as I've already stated, try reading the thread next time). My belief on the matter has nothing to do with tradition.

I accuratly described the USA. And no, same-sex marriage is not traditional in the smelly USA. The indigenous victims were never an inegral part of the smelly USA.

But conservatim is defined upon tradition. So yes. If you supported it as a liberal it would make sense.

"I accuratly described the USA."

No you did not. Maybe you need to do a little research into what the words that you use actually mean.

"But conservatim is defined upon tradition. So yes. If you supported it as a liberal it would make sense."

And one tradition of which I am a fan is that of little state intrusion into the private lives of citizens. Thus, as a conservative I support gay marriage.

Yes I did.

But that tradition has, in your smelly country, never extended to gay marriage.

No you did not. Look up what the word "medieval" means.

Yes, that tradition has extended to gay marriage in the US. You really have no idea what you're talking about, huh?

"very old-fashioned or primitive." i.e. the USA.

No, no when it only pertains to a small part of the social and legal system of the society and even that only very very recently.

Then you must not know much about the technological powerhouse that is the US!!!

The tradition has extended to gay marriage in the US. To say otherwise is either a display of ignorance, or a lie.

There are many different areas where a country could be primitive and old-fashioned. Not just technology. In any case, the US is definitely not in the top of any technology list. And if you ain't first you're last.

No, it's the truth.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I consider myself fairly conservative, but I also hold some progressive and classically liberal beliefs. So you can definitely have a smattering, but you can't be of two different view points on the same subject.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

@themajormayor: , @thegerg: While I am getting a kick out of y'alls little argument, could you both possibly not quote the entirety of it so it's easier to scroll down and read the hilarity?

Thanks in advance ole boys.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

What do you get when you put an American hating troll together with a semantics troll? You get a gerg match of doom.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Red states all have a far lower IQ.