JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

What are some issues you have with characters in super hero movies and TV shows? For instance, I'm watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and there's a character named Yo-Yo Rodriguez that's a speedster. She can clearly take out an entire room of bad guys but very rarely ever goes fast whenever the rest of the team is fighting.

Speedsters in general tend to bother me because they're so overpowered but they never really utilize their speed when they need it most, allowing something to catch them off guard. Very rarely are scenarios written well that make their defeat believable or even nonsensical. Still on the topic of speedsters, I also remember an episode of the Flash where Flash was battling a swarm of bees and couldn't figure out how to beat them. He ended up winding his arms around in circles like a lunatic to create a vortex when all he had to do was grab a container and put them all in with his superspeed. Are you telling me Flash isn't fast enough to do something as simple as putting bees in a container? No, he was to get all crazy arms... I know, I know, it's just good televsion... but then again, it isn't.

What bothers you guys?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: Superspeed is definitely a problem in superhero stuff. Aside from straight teleportation it's one of the most overpowered special abilities there is.

Dr. Strange (love his movie) has a similar issue. With his portal ring he basically doesn't need to do anything to get where he needs to go or get an object he requires. The How It Should have Ended guys pointed this out in their video of it, basically the villain just opened a portal and said to his boss, "Hey, there's an infinity stone over there unguarded, do you want me to get it?"

Theoretically Strange could have taken all the characters on Planet Titan straight to earth after they gave Thanos the time stone, but he didn't because reasons. He could have also gone straight to where Vision was being operated on and moved him halfway across the galaxy in 2 seconds to get him away from Thanos before that inifinity stone was taken, but again, no, because reasons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I grew up in the 90's, so most of my superhero fandom was tied to the comics and cartoons of that time. What I miss most was how it wasn't considered odd for the heroes to dress up in costume, and most of the stories didn't seem so politically-charged, at least not as much as they seem nowadays. Everything was very much tied to the fictionalized worlds the characters inhabited. And the characters - heroes, villains and supporting nobodies, were more developed than in a lot of these movies. Also the villains were around for more than one outing.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Great point, OP. In general, it's difficult to enjoy super hero themed entertainment due to the lack of consistency or sensibility.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Superhero comics have always been inconsistent when it comes to superpowers and abilities. A superhero, for example, could be doing some amazing overpowered shit at one moment (like destroying a large meteor, or even moving a planet, for example), and then struggle against some random human the next moment. That's just poor inconsistent writing. But it's usually because superhero comics aren't written by the same author, but have multiple authors writing different issues, which often leads to contradictions.