• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I smoked for nearly 10 years and tried all the tablets, gum and patches to quit but none really helped me. I quit by just going cold turkey and stopping one day. Ive been off them for about 4 months now.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 travsbbygrl
Member since 2009 • 320 Posts

I can quit at any time, but I like having one with a drink. You got to have the willpower, just don't touch one again. :)

CBR600-RR
Seeing as I'm 18 and still in school, I don't do much drinking.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

[QUOTE="CBR600-RR"]

I can quit at any time, but I like having one with a drink. You got to have the willpower, just don't touch one again. :)

travsbbygrl

I'm 18 too, I drink quite a lot on weekends, I take my opportunity to smoke then, otherwise if I smoke when I'm sober - the smell of cigarettes literally makes me sick, the taste too.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Try to find some kind of exercise you enjoy that will benefit from you not smoking. For me, for example, it was ice hockey that helped me quit and stay quit.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 travsbbygrl

[QUOTE="travsbbygrl"][QUOTE="CBR600-RR"]

CBR600-RR

I'm 18 too, I drink quite a lot on weekends, I take my opportunity to smoke then, otherwise if I smoke when I'm sober - the smell of cigarettes literally makes me sick, the taste too.

I hope that I will be the same way. I plan to throw EVERYTHING away that has a tie to cigarettes.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 travsbbygrl
Try to find some kind of exercise you enjoy that will benefit from you not smoking. For me, for example, it was ice hockey that helped me quit and stay quit.Engrish_Major
I'm not a very active person.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 travsbbygrl
[QUOTE="Homiegesus"][QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"]The easiest way is to try and avoid smoking. Also, try not to smoke.Elephant_Couple
It's not wise to give two commands to one person at one time.. what if he tried to avoid smoking and then decided to smoke because his long list of commands were too hard to keep track of? You should try to sum up this meaningfull advice in a one step fashion.

Then he deserves lung cancer. Not really...but it shouldn't be too hard to keep track of two commands when they both are in fact the exact same command. I have faith in him.

Her. I am a girl. Female.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Try to find some kind of exercise you enjoy that will benefit from you not smoking. For me, for example, it was ice hockey that helped me quit and stay quit.travsbbygrl
I'm not a very active person.

Maybe you can use this opportunity to become an active person. You quit to be healthier, right? Why not go even further?
ExpiredGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ExpiredGhost
Member since 2010 • 528 Posts
Everytime you have the urge to smoke, chew on a piece of gum.
XFull_MetalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#60 XFull_MetalX
Member since 2006 • 6501 Posts

Blu Cigarettes? Might help you kick the habit but still "smoke". You might look like a tool though...

Mellosinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Mellosinferno
Member since 2010 • 465 Posts
watch these is if your deciding to quit or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rSrrSTW0UU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80fux1DE1kQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBdECtvlVWs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFR07vsnWjA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcE-fbI16Ik That is all.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#62 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

First, pick a day to stop smoking. People quit school, or sports, or trying, but they stop doing negative things.

Promise that you'll reward yourself by buying something else with the money that you save on buying cigarettes, like a CD or a game.

Warn people. I went to everyone I come in contact with each day and apologized for being a complete (jerk) about a week and a half before I stopped smoking. (Good thing, too... about a week in, I let a minor thing blow up into a full-out war with my wife and trashed my kitchen).

On the day you stop, just stop. No "just one more," or "after this one, I'm done." The longer you stall, the longer it will take for the withdrawal syptoms to subside...

...and there are a lot of side-effects. Anyone who tells you it is easy to quit is lying, or has never smoked. I'm still commited to beating the **** out of the first anti-smoker I meet in person :evil:.Stay occupied, or the tension of stopping will likely drive you crazy (or drive you to smoke again). I had to shut my TV off in order to keep on stopping. Every 5 minutes, there was some ******* telling me to quit.Once you hit the 1-week mark, it gets a lot easier. You may get the occasional craving for a smoke (my father quit 40+ years ago, and he says he still gets the occasional craving for a cigarette), but not on the order of that first week.Good luck. Stick with it, and your finances will thank you. :D
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

Forget those that say smoking hurts things on the inside...what about the outside! Wrinkles, stinky hair, stained nails, yellow teeth. Remember...it's ALWAYS better to look good than to feel good, and smoking will not help you look good.

EDIT: On a serious note, think about the pros of cons of smoking. The cons FAR outweighs the pros, yes? Are those ciggarettes really worth it?

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 W1ckedGo0se
Member since 2008 • 1246 Posts
I would say not to look back at this page once you start. Try not to think about them because if you do it sucks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
don't buy cigarettes
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Engrish_Major
don't buy cigarettesJandurin
I tried that for a while before quitting. Not buying cigarettes doesn't necessarily imply not smoking :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]don't buy cigarettesEngrish_Major
I tried that for a while before quitting. Not buying cigarettes doesn't necessarily imply not smoking :P

true BUT, it makes it much harder to smoke, and to smoke you've gotta be a mooch. and there's no way you can smoke as much
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#68 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

Smoke a ballpoint pen. I've seen someone do it and it worked.
You carry it with You and every time You feel the need to make that certain motion You take the pen and pretend it's a cigarette.
I know it sounds crazy but it's worth a shot.

Maybe add in a little mindcontrol.

Famiking

There was that statistic about 100 people dying, chocking on ballpoints pen yearly, it made me go WTF how do you choke on a pen?! Now I see why.

^_^ i don't know. How many people choke on their cigarettes?

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 travsbbygrl

Forget those that say smoking hurts things on the inside...what about the outside! Wrinkles, stinky hair, stained nails, yellow teeth. Remember...it's ALWAYS better to look good than to feel good, and smoking will not help you look good.

EDIT: On a serious note, think about the pros of cons of smoking. The cons FAR outweighs the pros, yes? Are those ciggarettes really worth it?

killab2oo5
I don't stink...not wrinkly...my nails aren't stained and my teeth are average...just because you smoke doesn't mean your some grotesque person. Most people don't even know I smoke until I tell them.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Don't know what to tell you. I've always avoided cigs, but still smoke hookah on ocassion and I've tried cigars. Sometimes the only thing that got my friends to stop, was lack of money.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
Reading this thread has made me crave cookies.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 travsbbygrl
Reading this thread has made me crave cookies.McJugga
Get some?
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

well i quit smoking about 2 years ago, but i went from smoking to dip. I recently about a month ago quit dipping. Its almost the same steps.

1. Make sure you have support

2. make sure to have something to turn to for cravings (gum, straws, candy, etc)

3. You will gain weight most likely

4. you will have withdrawl effects everybody does no matter who you are. Just keep telling yourself you dont need them and that its not a security blanket.

It is mainly the psychological part thats the hardest part about quitting just give yourself positive encouragement and you can do it.

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

take Wellbutrin. this is an anti-depressant, but my doctor explained to me that it would help reduce my urge to smoke when quitting. it actually makes you nauseated when you do smoke while taking this drug. this is how i quit, and i was a smoker for 6 years or so.

shaunk89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 shaunk89
Member since 2009 • 945 Posts

I've been a smoker for a couple of years and I have recently made the decision to quit. Does anyone have any advice?

travsbbygrl

Good on ya. I used to smoke a whole lot, but then overnight I decided to quit.

Probably not the best way, but if you don't smoke too much to start with you can probably do it.

1. Focus on WHY it is you're quitting. If you have a good enough reason, then the willpower comes easy. I focused on how much I hated that smell that clings to your clothes, hair, fingers etc. Plus my girlfriend said that kissing an ashtray is horrible. So think about how when you quit, you won't have to put up with all the negative crap. Not least of all the money you'll save

2. Make a special show of throwing away all your cigarettes. It's a little thing, but it helps to draw that line under your past habit.

3. This will sound stupid, but it worked for me so nvm. Set yourself some kind of forfeit for every time you fail and smoke. It can be anything, so long as its a real pain to do. I used to put £5 in a jar every time I smoked. That had the double effect of making it a pain to smoke, and also it meant i had almost no money to buy cigarettes after a while. But you have to be disciplined and actually do it.

Thats all I can think of man, sorry. Hope it helps anyway, and best of luck :)

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

just try to not hang out with people that smoke, or hang out with them less. i probably wouldn't smoke if the people i hang out with most didn't smoke. it's not their fault that i still do, it's my own fault, but i wouldn't smoke if i didn't hang out with them.