• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 travsbbygrl
Member since 2009 • 320 Posts

I've been a smoker for a couple of years and I have recently made the decision to quit. Does anyone have any advice?

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
Stay away from cigarettes.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 travsbbygrl
Stay away from cigarettes.Immortalica
I never thought of that. Thank you.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

#1. How old are you..?

#2. Stay away from cigarretes

#3. You have to have strong willpower

#4. Oh a cookie...

#5..*distracted by the cookie*

#6. *Leaving keyboard*

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

I've been a smoker for a couple of years and I have recently made the decision to quit. Does anyone have any advice?

travsbbygrl
I have no advice, but good luck. It's a great choice.
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Dont hang out with smokerss... i dont smoke myself but i can see it being very hard when your around others who do it
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 travsbbygrl

#1. How old are you..?

#4. Oh a cookie...

#6. *Leaving keyboard*

Xx_Hopeless_xX
I just turned 18...may I have the cookie?
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 travsbbygrl
[QUOTE="travsbbygrl"]

EMOEVOLUTION
I have no advice, but good luck. It's a great choice.

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 travsbbygrl

Dont hang out with smokerss... i dont smoke myself but i can see it being very hard when your around others who do itWolls
Gah I'm so nervous...it's been my little stress reliever for so long.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wolls

[QUOTE="Wolls"]Dont hang out with smokerss... i dont smoke myself but i can see it being very hard when your around others who do ittravsbbygrl

Well your getting a bunny right :).. use that insteed.................... dont go smoking the rabbit though :P
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

#1. How old are you..?

#4. Oh a cookie...

#6. *Leaving keyboard*

travsbbygrl

It may be easier since you're younger...but seriously..just think about how bad it is for you if you're tempted..it destroys things in your throat as well as your lungs...

OH the cookie *looks for cookie again*..

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 travsbbygrl
[QUOTE="travsbbygrl"]

[QUOTE="Wolls"]Dont hang out with smokerss... i dont smoke myself but i can see it being very hard when your around others who do itWolls

Well your getting a bunny right :).. use that insteed.................... dont go smoking the rabbit though :P

Rofl...poor bunny rabbit...I think if I began to have thoughts of smoking my rabbit I may go to the hospital.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 travsbbygrl

[QUOTE="travsbbygrl"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

#1. How old are you..?

#4. Oh a cookie...

#6. *Leaving keyboard*

Xx_Hopeless_xX

It may be easier since you're younger...but seriously..just think about how bad it is for you if you're tempted..it destroys things in your throat as well as your lungs...

I really hope it will be. I think I'm going to make a small investment in Jolly Ranchers and other hard candies. Yay cookies!
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wolls

[QUOTE="Wolls"][QUOTE="travsbbygrl"] Gah I'm so nervous...it's been my little stress reliever for so long.

travsbbygrl

Rofl...poor bunny rabbit...I think if I began to have thoughts of smoking my rabbit I may go to the hospital.

Yea... i dont think they would be too happy to employ a nurse who wanted to smoke their rabbit either :(

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 travsbbygrl

[QUOTE="travsbbygrl"][QUOTE="Wolls"] Well your getting a bunny right :).. use that insteed.................... dont go smoking the rabbit though :PWolls

Yea... i dont think they would be too happy to employ a nurse who wanted to smoke their rabbit either :(

Lol maybe so. Maybe they'll give me kudos for getting help though.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="travsbbygrl"] I just turned 18...may I have the cookie?travsbbygrl

I really hope it will be. I think I'm going to make a small investment in Jolly Ranchers and other hard candies. Yay cookies!

Our precious!! You cants have it..We loves it..It's all for us!!...:cry:

Arctic_Grillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arctic_Grillz
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
You can't quit all of a sudden. Just reduce it..slowly but surely. just this week, say you smoke 4 sticks a day. next will will be three. in 3 weeks it'll be two and so on so fort. until you think you can go in a day without smoking. look at me now, 1 pack lasts me 2 weeks. I used to smoke 4 packs a week.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts

baby steps

smoke less a day

dont buy cigarettes anymore, bum a square if you have too

dont hang out with people that smoke, chew gum (?), or you can just stop, i can stop smoking for weeks before smoking again

here i am giving advice and i smoke, lol

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Smoke a ballpoint pen. I've seen someone do it and it worked.
You carry it with You and every time You feel the need to make that certain motion You take the pen and pretend it's a cigarette.
I know it sounds crazy but it's worth a shot.

Maybe add in a little mindcontrol.

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 travsbbygrl

[QUOTE="travsbbygrl"][QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Our precious!! You cants have it..We loves it..It's all for us!!...:cry:

Rofl!!!

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 travsbbygrl
You can't quit all of a sudden. Just reduce it..slowly but surely. just this week, say you smoke 4 sticks a day. next will will be three. in 3 weeks it'll be two and so on so fort. until you think you can go in a day without smoking. look at me now, 1 pack lasts me 2 weeks. I used to smoke 4 packs a week. Arctic_Grillz
Wow thanks for the advice.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

here is my story:

I kind of caught a lucky break, sort of. I got really sick with swine flu and couldnt get out of bed for about three days. Naturally, I couldn't smoke, eat, drink alcohol (half the reason I smoke), etc.

The bright side is that I had decided to quit three days before getting sick, so for three days plus the duration of my illness (another week) I hadnt smoked for 10 days. Nicotine leaves your body within 3-6 days, so after that its merely an issue of breaking the habit.

Tbh, the habit is the hardest thing to break. So focus on this, and not the addiction aspect, of smoking. Anyone can make it a week without smoking, not everyone can make it longer than two months.

A couple of things:

1. Depending on how much you smoke, youre going to have a few symptoms. You might get cranky, even get a bit of the shakes, to even getting a bit sick (you wont throw up, but you might feel a bit "off"). Dont get upset.

2. Tell people youre quitting. It helps to have the support of those around you. Give them permission to harass you if they see you lighting up.

3. Stock up on sweets; chocolate, ice cream, anything you eat when you get the munchies. I, and many others I know, got a horrible sweet tooth when quitting. Tobacco acts as a diet supressant.

4. Be prepared for a bit of weight gain. See above.

5. When you get to the five-eight week phase, be prepared to get some powerful, awful cravings. The majority of peopleI know of, myself included, tend to falter. I lost my guard, thought "Hey, I made it this long, I can have one cigarette!" and eventually that one cigarette turned into two packs. Fortunately I was able to get back on the wagon after six days, before I got addicted, but still....its kinda like starting over again.

6. Last, BUT MOST IMPORTANT, do stuff to break the habit. For me, I smoked 80% at work, and 20% when I socialized. So, I brought gum to work. I posted flyers saying "Dont smoke" on the back door where I would go out and smoke. I brought green tea; smoking is as much a ritual as it is a habit, and heating water, dunking a tea bad, and sipping on it for 5-10 minutes sort of replaces that ritual.

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 travsbbygrl

baby steps

smoke less a day

dont buy cigarettes anymore, bum a square if you have too

dont hang out with people that smoke, chew gum (?), or you can just stop, i can stop smoking for weeks before smoking again

here i am giving advice and i smoke, lol

BeanTownBrown86
I want to try cold turkey because if I do it gradually then I'm afraid I'll never quit.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

You can't quit all of a sudden. Just reduce it..slowly but surely. just this week, say you smoke 4 sticks a day. next will will be three. in 3 weeks it'll be two and so on so fort. until you think you can go in a day without smoking. look at me now, 1 pack lasts me 2 weeks. I used to smoke 4 packs a week. Arctic_Grillz

That doesn't work for everyone. Some people are better off going cold turkey.

Anyway, my recommendation is to start smoking cigars or a pipe instead. Yes, he's still getting the nicotine. But for a lot of people cigarettes are the worst simply because their design lends themselves to being smoked easily, any time. Something like a pipe is better in that it doesn't lend itself to habit, and it can be much more of a hassle. Dude can smoke a pipe long enough to get out of the habit of smoking cigarettes. Then, once he's done with cigarettes, he'll probably have a much easier time quitting with the pipe tobacco.

travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 travsbbygrl

here is my story:

I kind of caught a lucky break, sort of. I got really sick with swine flu and couldnt get out of bed for about three days. Naturally, I couldn't smoke, eat, drink alcohol (half the reason I smoke), etc.

The bright side is that I had decided to quit three days before getting sick, so for three days plus the duration of my illness (another week) I hadnt smoked for 10 days. Nicotine leaves your body within 3-6 days, so after that its merely an issue of breaking the habit.

Tbh, the habit is the hardest thing to break. So focus on this, and not the addiction aspect, of smoking. Anyone can make it a week without smoking, not everyone can make it longer than two months.

A couple of things:

1. Depending on how much you smoke, youre going to have a few symptoms. You might get cranky, even get a bit of the shakes, to even getting a bit sick (you wont throw up, but you might feel a bit "off"). Dont get upset.

2. Tell people youre quitting. It helps to have the support of those around you. Give them permission to harass you if they see you lighting up.

3. Stock up on sweets; chocolate, ice cream, anything you eat when you get the munchies. I, and many others I know, got a horrible sweet tooth when quitting. Tobacco acts as a diet supressant.

4. Be prepared for a bit of weight gain. See above.

5. When you get to the five-eight week phase, be prepared to get some powerful, awful cravings. The majority of peopleI know of, myself included, tend to falter. I lost my guard, thought "Hey, I made it this long, I can have one cigarette!" and eventually that one cigarette turned into two packs. Fortunately I was able to get back on the wagon after six days, before I got addicted, but still....its kinda like starting over again.

mrbojangles25
Thanks for the advice, that was really helpful. I planned to stock up on hard candy and gum as they say it helps. I think my addiction isn't so much the nicotine as it is having something to do with my hands. I can crochet so I guess I'll pick that up again.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 travsbbygrl

[QUOTE="Arctic_Grillz"]You can't quit all of a sudden. Just reduce it..slowly but surely. just this week, say you smoke 4 sticks a day. next will will be three. in 3 weeks it'll be two and so on so fort. until you think you can go in a day without smoking. look at me now, 1 pack lasts me 2 weeks. I used to smoke 4 packs a week. MrGeezer

Anyway, my recommendation is to start smoking cigars or a pipe instead. Yes, he's still getting the nicotine. But for a lot of people cigarettes are the worst simply because their design lends themselves to being smoked easily, any time. Something like a pipe is better in that it doesn't lend itself to habit, and it can be much more of a hassle. Dude can smoke a pipe long enough to get out of the habit of smoking cigarettes. Then, once he's done with cigarettes, he'll probably have a much easier time quitting with the pipe tobacco.

She.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrbojangles25  Online

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Arctic_Grillz"]You can't quit all of a sudden. Just reduce it..slowly but surely. just this week, say you smoke 4 sticks a day. next will will be three. in 3 weeks it'll be two and so on so fort. until you think you can go in a day without smoking. look at me now, 1 pack lasts me 2 weeks. I used to smoke 4 packs a week. travsbbygrl

She.

Travis's baby girl?

and yea, pipes and cigars are good if only for the reason you dont inhale them as much.

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

You mean this think?

:P Even though I'm sure most of you don't know what this is :lol:

Arctic_Grillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Arctic_Grillz
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts

You mean this think?

Ultrabeatdown55

I saw this on Lost( just saw this episode but i dont watch it), what exactly is it ??

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolls"]Dont hang out with smokerss... i dont smoke myself but i can see it being very hard when your around others who do ittravsbbygrl

Well if you need a stress reliever you can try exercise or meditation. They are infinitely better than smoking, for your health and relieving stress.

Other than that, good luck. :)

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

You should try sucking on lollipops because the doctor told my mum when she was trying to quit that the habit is usually having something in your hands.

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts

Smoke a ballpoint pen. I've seen someone do it and it worked.
You carry it with You and every time You feel the need to make that certain motion You take the pen and pretend it's a cigarette.
I know it sounds crazy but it's worth a shot.

Maybe add in a little mindcontrol.

KungfuKitten

There was that statistic about 100 people dying, chocking on ballpoints pen yearly, it made me go WTF how do you choke on a pen?! Now I see why.

Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ultrabeatdown55

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"]

You mean this think?

Arctic_Grillz

I saw this on Lost( just saw this episode but i dont watch it), what exactly is it ??

It is the Smoke Monster. Obviously :P But seriously, we still don't know what it is. It can possible manifest into dead people on the island, and it can kill people. Awesome stuff! :D

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrbojangles25  Online

[QUOTE="Arctic_Grillz"]

You mean this think?

Ultrabeatdown55

It is the Smoke Monster. Obviously :P But seriously, we still don't know what it is. It can possible manifest into dead people on the island, and it can kill people. Awesome stuff! :D

woh woh woh

Lost is a scifi show? OK< now I have to watch it!

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

try to do something else to keep you occupied.

or try sucking on Halls Cough drops. thats how my dad quit smoking, he just constantly sucked on cough drops until he didnt feel any urges to smoke.

Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts

[QUOTE="Arctic_Grillz"] I saw this on Lost( just saw this episode but i dont watch it), what exactly is it ??

mrbojangles25

woh woh woh

worst. monster. ever.
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ultrabeatdown55

[QUOTE="Arctic_Grillz"] I saw this on Lost( just saw this episode but i dont watch it), what exactly is it ??

mrbojangles25

woh woh woh

Yeah its a sci-fi show! This past season dealt with time travel! :D
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ultrabeatdown55
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"]It is the Smoke Monster. Obviously :P But seriously, we still don't know what it is. It can possible manifest into dead people on the island, and it can kill people. Awesome stuff! :D

shadow1988

woh woh woh

worst. monster. ever.

Dude... Its ambiguity makes it so awesome. I mean... its smoke... that can kill people... That is just awesome in its own right!
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mrbojangles25  Online

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"]It is the Smoke Monster. Obviously :P But seriously, we still don't know what it is. It can possible manifest into dead people on the island, and it can kill people. Awesome stuff! :D

Ultrabeatdown55

woh woh woh

any tips for getting past the first few episodes? I keep trying but I just cant get through them, so boring, so much drama, ugh

Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

- Try taking carrot sticks to work or school they can help substitute the action of holding a cigarette.
- Be absolutely committed to quitting, if you really want to it, it will help fight the cravings.
- Realise you are giving up, you are never going to smoke again
- Throw away lighters, ash trays anything else you associate with smoking
- Avoid alcohol for a while
- Don't make a big thing out of your cravings, say how much you want a cigarette right now will not help getting your mind of them
- Try and give up with someone, competition can be good
- In a stressful situation, don't look for a cigarette as a way to resolve the issue or to relax, just deal with the problem

It can be done, I smoked for 15yrs and went cold turkey. I haven't smoked in over a yr and I don't feel like one now. The first week is the hardest.

Good Luck

Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ultrabeatdown55

[QUOTE="Ultrabeatdown55"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

woh woh woh

mrbojangles25

any tips for getting past the first few episodes? I keep trying but I just cant get through them, so boring, so much drama, ugh

Uhm... Just watch every episode! And if your that bored, you will hate the beginning of Season 3. But, just keep going, no matter how bored you are. The show is just simply amazing.
travsbbygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 travsbbygrl

- Try taking carrot sticks to work or school they can help substitute the action of holding a cigarette.
- Be absolutely committed to quitting, if you really want to it, it will help fight the cravings.
- Realise you are giving up, you are never going to smoke again
- Throw away lighters, ash trays anything else you associate with smoking
- Avoid alcohol for a while
- Don't make a big thing out of your cravings, say how much you want a cigarette right now will not help getting your mind of them
- Try and give up with someone, competition can be good
- In a stressful situation, don't look for a cigarette as a way to resolve the issue or to relax, just deal with the problem

It can be done, I smoked for 15yrs and went cold turkey. I haven't smoked in over a yr and I don't feel like one now. The first week is the hardest.

Good Luck

Bedizen

Thank you so much for the advice. Congratulations!

StripTheSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StripTheSoul
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

You'll be back.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

I'm 21 years old and I quit smoking back in July after being a smoker of more than a pack a day for over 3 years. The only method I used to help me quit was constant thought change and affirmation to not smoke. I made myself believe I couldn't and I stopped. It was actually rather easy after the initial 3 day shock to the system.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

I can quit at any time, but I like having one with a drink. You got to have the willpower, just don't touch one again. :)

Homiegesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Homiegesus
Member since 2003 • 5706 Posts

I can quit at any time, but I like having one with a drink. You got to have the willpower, just don't touch one again. :)

CBR600-RR
Yeah, not smoking while you drink was the hardest thing I had to do when I quit smoking. I can't really give too much advice because it is different i',m sure depending on the person but I basically thought about the benefits and I believed that it was against my philosophy in life in regards to treating my body, and sort of changed my frame of mind on smoking. I know this sounds simplistic and people will think its insubstantial to actually quitting, but if you truly believe it then your willpower will battle your addiction while your mind helps out during the process. Did I just create a mental image?
Avatar image for Elephant_Couple
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Elephant_Couple
Member since 2010 • 1404 Posts
The easiest way is to try and avoid smoking. Also, try not to smoke.
Homiegesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Homiegesus
Member since 2003 • 5706 Posts
The easiest way is to try and avoid smoking. Also, try not to smoke.Elephant_Couple
It's not wise to give two commands to one person at one time.. what if he tried to avoid smoking and then decided to smoke because his long list of commands were too hard to keep track of? You should try to sum up this meaningfull advice in a one step fashion.
Avatar image for Elephant_Couple
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elephant_Couple
Member since 2010 • 1404 Posts
[QUOTE="Elephant_Couple"]The easiest way is to try and avoid smoking. Also, try not to smoke.Homiegesus
It's not wise to give two commands to one person at one time.. what if he tried to avoid smoking and then decided to smoke because his long list of commands were too hard to keep track of? You should try to sum up this meaningfull advice in a one step fashion.

Then he deserves lung cancer. Not really...but it shouldn't be too hard to keep track of two commands when they both are in fact the exact same command. I have faith in him.