Poor kid has cerebral palsy - school won't let her use her walker

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

The mother of a child with cerebral palsy is preparing to file a lawsuit. She's outraged after she says New Caney ISD told her five-year-old daughter she could no longer use a walker at school.

Kristi Roberts recorded her conversation with special education director Gary Lemley and uploaded it to YouTube. She did so as a last resort after two years of arguing with the district about her daughter's care.

"Basically she can't use the walker because we don't think it's safe," Lemley is heard saying on the audio recording.

"Why isn't it safe?" asked Roberts.

"I just told you. We don't feel like it's safe any longer," said Lemley.

The recording has been clicked on more than 10,000 times, and support is pouring in online in the form of comments.

Lakay Roberts has been using her walker at Kings Manor Elementary School for the past two years. She recently fell down in the parking lot when the equipment collapsed.

"How many kids fall down at recess? Do you make them take their shoes off and buy new ones?" asked Roberts.

Story and video here.

This makes me so mad, that people can be so mean to a 5-year-old disabled kid.

Thoughts?

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
school seems kind of stupid here. but also the kid should take medication to fix her problem
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

She should be able to use at schoole at the same time they should start having schools just for special education.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 topsemag55

school seems kind of stupid here. but also the kid should take medication to fix her problemtheSteeeeels

Watch the video - poor kid can't walk on her tiptoes all day.:cry:

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
Upsetting.
FlippyMittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FlippyMittens
Member since 2012 • 305 Posts
Sucks, it really sucks we all live in such an elitist pos world.
FlippyMittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FlippyMittens

:lol:chilly-chill

I want to stab you with a spork but I will not.

FlippyMittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FlippyMittens

lolJust-Breathe

Have you ever considered chemical castration or a vasectomy?

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theSteeeeels
maybe a little off topic here but if the mother knew she was going to be like dat then does anyone else think she shouldve had an a abortion?
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

maybe a little off topic here but if the mother knew she was going to be like dat then does anyone else think she shouldve had an a abortion?theSteeeeels

Here we go.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Charazani

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"]lolFlippyMittens

Have you ever considered chemical castration or a vasectomy?

Best to ignore the trolls.
FlippyMittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FlippyMittens

maybe a little off topic here but if the mother knew she was going to be like dat then does anyone else think she shouldve had an a abortion?theSteeeeels

I do not know, not everyone is a stud like you cool kid.

Eugenics eh? Dats what you want you SOB?

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]:lol:FlippyMittens

I want to stab you with my dick but I will not.

Thanks, but I don't roll that way.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 theSteeeeels

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"]maybe a little off topic here but if the mother knew she was going to be like dat then does anyone else think she shouldve had an a abortion?Yangire

Here we go.

im just asking. and it is actually on topic because if the mother DID know she was going to be diseased from birth then she also KNEW she would have problems like this later in life. situations like this were always going to be a reaction from her choice of choosing to keep her.
FlippyMittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FlippyMittens

Best to ignore the trolls.Charazani

Its hard to when they do **** like this. They are successful in life and come around ****ing harassing people online.

Thanks, but I don't roll that way.

chilly-chill

Editing my post? How sad yop yup?

Wrap dick in telephone wires and sure I would stab your brainz out wit it yup.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 topsemag55

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"]maybe a little off topic here but if the mother knew she was going to be like dat then does anyone else think she shouldve had an a abortion?theSteeeeels

Here we go.

im just asking. and it is actually on topic because if the mother DID know she was going to be diseased from birth then she also KNEW she would have problems like this later in life. situations like this were always going to be a reaction from her choice of choosing to keep her.

Oh? She loves her child, wants her to have a chance to live, to learn, and you think that's wrong?:x

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
So... what is this about really? Is it that they shouldn't be allowed to use 'a walker' or 'the walker' I gotta say that walker seemed like a POS.
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chilly-chill
:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda gay bro.
FlippyMittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FlippyMittens
:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda gay bro.chilly-chill
You are misreading mah post. Stop breaking walls with your hate.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda my style bro.chilly-chill

:P

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chilly-chill

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda my style bro.sexyweapons

As long as you're doing it sexy.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topsemag55

:lol: chilly-chill

Umm...OTAH is supposed to be your new home.:lol:

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theSteeeeels

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"][QUOTE="Yangire"]

Here we go.

topsemag55

Oh? She loves her child, wants her to have a chance to live, to learn, and you think that's wrong?:x

if she knew she was going to turn out like that she couldve aborted and got a proper one. which a retarded baby (no offence) you KNOW youre in for problems. and expecting the whole world to cater to a 0.00001 minority is simply unreasonable.
FlippyMittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FlippyMittens

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda my style bro.sexyweapons

He secretly likes it, he needs to go hang out with his rich elite friends with caviar and stop starting crap online.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
This thread is strangely surreal.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda my style bro.chilly-chill

As long as you're doing it sexy.

;)

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 topsemag55

if she knew she was going to turn out like that she couldve aborted and got a proper one. which a retarded baby (no offence) you KNOW youre in for problems. and expecting the whole world to cater to a 0.00001 minority is simply unreasonable.theSteeeeels

Hope you have a link to back up your statistic. Also, it's wrong to cater to one minority over others - you can't "pick-and-choose".

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theSteeeeels

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"]if she knew she was going to turn out like that she couldve aborted and got a proper one. which a retarded baby (no offence) you KNOW youre in for problems. and expecting the whole world to cater to a 0.00001 minority is simply unreasonable.topsemag55

Hope you have a link to back up your statistic. Also, it's wrong to cater to one minority over others - you can't "pick-and-choose".

actually you can. there are bigger minorities than others. hence they are less of a minority. hence they would be mor likely to get catered to. its called demorcary
Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Charazani

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]:lol: topsemag55

Umm...OTAH is supposed to be your new home.:lol:

Hate this whole two forum thing.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 topsemag55

Hate this whole two forum thing.Charazani

Boxing the trolls in one forum is a HUGE win. OT needed this badly.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Charazani

[QUOTE="Charazani"]Hate this whole two forum thing.topsemag55

Perhaps. Though just seems like things will return to the old ways since they will just work around the rules to troll.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

so they won't let her use the walker because it's "unsafe" since she fell one time while using it. i guess that means schoolbus's shouldn't be used either, since they have been in wrecks before.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chilly-chill

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda my style bro.FlippyMittens

He secretly likes it, he needs to go hang out with his rich elite friends with caviar and stop starting crap online.

You started it chief. Nobody forced you to respond, obviously you're rattled. Doesn't seem to take much...
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 topsemag55

so they won't let her use the walker because it's "unsafe" since she fell one time while using it. i guess that means schoolbus's shouldn't be used either, since they have been in wrecks before.

needled24-7

Good point.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 needled24-7

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"] im just asking. and it is actually on topic because if the mother DID know she was going to be diseased from birth then she also KNEW she would have problems like this later in life. situations like this were always going to be a reaction from her choice of choosing to keep her.theSteeeeels

if she knew she was going to turn out like that she couldve aborted and got a proper one. which a retarded baby (no offence) you KNOW youre in for problems. and expecting the whole world to cater to a 0.00001 minority is simply unreasonable.

letting a child with cerebral palsy use a walker is not catering to the kid. the school doesn't have to change anything they do. the girl's just using a walker, it's not like they have to build wheelchair ramps or anything. they probably already have those anyways though.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Charazani
[QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]So... what is this about really? Is it that they shouldn't be allowed to use 'a walker' or 'the walker' I gotta say that walker seemed like a POS.

A valid point
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 topsemag55

A valid pointCharazani

Not really, any mechanical device can fail. The kid might have folded it up while sitting at her desk, and didn't lock it well enough when she left the room.

Given she's only 5, the teacher should have checked her walker.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 theSteeeeels

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

needled24-7

letting a child with cerebral palsy use a walker is not catering to the kid. the school doesn't have to change anything they do. the girl's just using a walker, it's not like they have to build wheelchair ramps or anything. they probably already have those anyways though.

and i wonder how much money theyll have to pay if the girl, who the school permitted to use a walker, falls AGAIN and the mum decides to sue?
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]:lol: You're gonna wrap my dick in telephone wire? That's kinda my style bro.FlippyMittens

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Charazani

[QUOTE="Charazani"] A valid pointtopsemag55

Not really, any mechanical device can fail. The kid might have folded it up while sitting at her desk, and didn't lock it well enough when she left the room.

That is true. Guess I will wait for further info. But as of now, quite upsetting to say the least.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 needled24-7

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"] if she knew she was going to turn out like that she couldve aborted and got a proper one. which a retarded baby (no offence) you KNOW youre in for problems. and expecting the whole world to cater to a 0.00001 minority is simply unreasonable.theSteeeeels

and i wonder how much money theyll have to pay if the girl, who the school permitted to use a walker, falls AGAIN and the mum decides to sue?

probably none

LostVoyager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LostVoyager
Member since 2012 • 385 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Charazani"] A valid pointCharazani

That is true. Guess I will wait for further info. But as of now, quite upsetting to say the least.

I agree with Charazani.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 theSteeeeels

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"][QUOTE="needled24-7"]letting a child with cerebral palsy use a walker is not catering to the kid. the school doesn't have to change anything they do. the girl's just using a walker, it's not like they have to build wheelchair ramps or anything. they probably already have those anyways though.

needled24-7

probably none

yeah youre probably right. the headmaster is just an evil adult like in those kids movies. just hates those damn cerebral palsy losers and wants to annoy them. no other reason.
TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

What the hell is so bad about letting her use her walker?

Oh god...I'm so glad to not be in elementary school anymore. Too many stupid a$$ rules like this...

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 needled24-7

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"] and i wonder how much money theyll have to pay if the girl, who the school permitted to use a walker, falls AGAIN and the mum decides to sue?theSteeeeels

probably none

yeah youre probably right. the headmaster is just an evil adult like in those kids movies. just hates those damn cerebral palsy losers and wants to annoy them. no other reason.

if the mom was going to sue, she probably would have done it the first time the girl fell

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 topsemag55

if the mom was going to sue, she probably would have done it the first time the girl fell

needled24-7

She is thinking about suing, but only to allow the walker to be used.

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Charazani
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="Charazani"]Hate this whole two forum thing.Charazani

Perhaps. Though just seems like things will return to the old ways since they will just work around the rules to troll.

Adding to this. Seems like a tdh on GS. Does little to solve the troll issue. a step backwards. As it is now the ah thing is not really a seperate community. Just seems like an extension of this one but with less value.
theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 theSteeeeels

[QUOTE="theSteeeeels"][QUOTE="needled24-7"]probably none

needled24-7

except she wouldnt sue over a scratched knee. next time it could actually be serious.