people can maybe live for thousands of years=should we?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
I was watching that's impossibe show and they were talking about how people could very soon live for a thousand of years. They would do this by putting like nano-bots to kill off cancer and make repairs whenever necessary to our body and they would also keep replacing our organs. My question is this a good idea would you really want to live for a thousand year? I don't think it's a good idea because there is a reason that cancer and other diesases were put here to help control our population to make sure that evil people would not live forever to keep doing evil stuff and also our resources are already strained imagine if everyone could live that long how bad everything could get and relationships would become meaningless anyway Discuss
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
I don't think that is possible to start with.....
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 l4dak47
I don't think that is possible to start with.....LJS9502_basic
well let's just say we could should we?
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

if we could live that long, I would not want to

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Holy crap, that was a long sentence. And is it really considered 'living' if technology is required to keep you alive?
daintyhobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 daintyhobo
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts

I don't think it's a good idea because there is a reason that cancer and other diesases were put here to help control our population to make sure that evil people would not live forever to keep doing evil stuff and also our resources are already strained imagine if everyone could live that long how bad everything could get and relationships would become meaningless anyway Discuss l4dak47

Tell that to the families who have children with cancer.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 l4dak47
[QUOTE="FragStains"]Holy crap, that was a long sentence. And is it really considered 'living' if technology is required to keep you alive?

Think of it as a car whenever a part is broken they would replace that with a new part. They would do the same to our body, our body is more complicated but just think of it that way Also sorry about the long sentence :(
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Holy crap, that was a long sentence. And is it really considered 'living' if technology is required to keep you alive?FragStains
Of course it's still living. If you need a respirator to stay alive, you're still alive aren't you? On topic, there would be the inevitable problem with population growth, overcrowding, and food (kind of like how there is now with the population growth of the 20th century). I would want to have it personally, though.
tester962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 tester962
Member since 2004 • 2881 Posts
I dont even want to live much pass 60, let alone 1000 years
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
I was watching that's impossibe show and they were talking about how people could very soon live for a thousand of years. They would do this by putting like nano-bots to kill off cancer and make repairs whenever necessary to our body and they would also keep replacing our organs. My question is this a good idea would you really want to live for a thousand year? I don't think it's a good idea because there is a reason that cancer and other diesases were put here to help control our population to make sure that evil people would not live forever to keep doing evil stuff and also our resources are already strained imagine if everyone could live that long how bad everything could get and relationships would become meaningless anyway Discuss l4dak47
I would not want to be immortal... but it would be awesome to live a few thousand years... to see how it all gos down
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="FragStains"]Holy crap, that was a long sentence. And is it really considered 'living' if technology is required to keep you alive?Engrish_Major
Of course it's still living. If you need a respirator to stay alive, you're still alive aren't you? On topic, there would be the inevitable problem with population growth, overcrowding, and food (kind of like how there is now with the population growth of the 20th century). I would want to have it personally, though.

If the brain is gone.....does the respirator make the person alive? Or breathing?

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Engrish_Major

If the brain is gone.....does the respirator make the person alive? Or breathing?

LJS9502_basic
That's debatable. But I didn't think we were talking about the brain here.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FragStains
[QUOTE="FragStains"]Holy crap, that was a long sentence. And is it really considered 'living' if technology is required to keep you alive?Engrish_Major

You are alive, but you aren't 'living'. You are dependent on a machine to keep your heart pumping. You've become a lightbulb. You are useless without your power source. I can tell you that I would not want to live if I needed to have robots implanted and my organs replaced with newer synthetic models to keep me 'alive'. That's not living...that's surviving.
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

It's not possible. It's not ever going to happen. Nothing worth discussing here. Just wishful thinking by humans who are afraid to die.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Engrish_Major
You are alive, but you aren't 'living'. You are dependent on a machine to keep your heart pumping. You've become a lightbulb. You are useless without your power source. I can tell you that I would not want to live if I needed to have robots implanted and my organs replaced with newer synthetic models to keep me 'alive'. That's not living...that's surviving.FragStains
That's your philosophical viewpoint. As long as I can conciously experience life, I am still alive. I don't care if they happen to be the organs I was born with or not.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 l4dak47

It's not possible. It's not ever going to happen. Nothing worth discussing here. Just wishful thinking by humans who are afraid to die.

EMOEVOLUTION
Actually on the That's Impssible Show on the History channel, they have shown that they are very close to acheving this.
anDy-PeNGuiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 anDy-PeNGuiN
Member since 2005 • 1201 Posts

No. We are already on the brink of overpopulation, and ever since nations such as India and China have been becoming more and more of a force, food production is becoming even more problematic..

tester962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 tester962
Member since 2004 • 2881 Posts
[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]

l4dak47
Actually on the That's Impssible Show on the History channel, they have shown that they are very close to acheving this.

Could you imagine how bored you would be with life if you lived 1000 years. You would have done everything a long time ago. It would be an extremely dull existence.
flashback01231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 flashback01231
Member since 2003 • 255 Posts

Its not about living its about quality of life, if you live for 1000 but your miserable, your always having health problems and such then you may only want to live 70 good years instead of 1000 bad ones.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

If people cut down on reproduction and don't age, suicide rates will be high though.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 l4dak47
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]

tester962

Could you imagine how bored you would be with life if you lived 1000 years. You would have done everything a long time ago. It would be an extremely dull existence.

I agree with you but i would like to hear people's opinions on as to why it may or may not be a good idea.
Oey666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Oey666
Member since 2004 • 789 Posts
Holy crap, that was a long sentence. And is it really considered 'living' if technology is required to keep you alive?FragStains
Isn't technology keeping you alive today?
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I don't think that is possible to start with.....LJS9502_basic
It is. Although not to that extent. We were talking about it in a class at school. Kids born in the nest generation could live to be 150+. Th reason being is that our cells just run out of juice = saggy skin, etc. with old age These nano bots would keep our cells "young and charged" = repair ourselves as well as kids do All we would need are the replacement parts...organs (cloned), knees, etc. -obviously I have oversimplified to keep it short, but you get the point. Pretty cool...or scary...depending on your POV
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 l4dak47
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't think that is possible to start with.....rawsavon
It is. Although not to that extent. We were talking about it in a class at school. Kids born in the nest generation could live to be 150+. Th reason being is that our cells just run out of juice = saggy skin, etc. with old age These nano bots would keep our cells "young and charged" = repair ourselves as well as kids do All we would need are the replacement parts...organs (cloned), knees, etc. -obviously I have oversimplified to keep it short, but you get the point. Pretty cool...or scary...depending on your POV

Yea pretty much
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FragStains
[QUOTE="FragStains"]Holy crap, that was a long sentence. And is it really considered 'living' if technology is required to keep you alive?Oey666
Isn't technology keeping you alive today?

No. How would it?
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I wouldn't want to. Also cancer and other diseases were not "put here to control population"
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
Hell yes!
awesomeray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 awesomeray
Member since 2009 • 2880 Posts
if that happened then overpopulation would be a more serious problem
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 l4dak47
[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]I wouldn't want to. Also cancer and other diseases were not "put here to control population"

Well yea, they were not "put here" but their job is to help control the population not just humans, animals too. Sort of how we hunt deer to help control their population.
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
if that happened then overpopulation would be a more serious problemawesomeray
Not really, if technology for colonising other planets became a priority we could probably get to mars in a few decades, might need a few restrictions on the amount of babies you can have though.
Avatar image for HereticGamer911
HereticGamer911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HereticGamer911
Member since 2009 • 1100 Posts
Most likely, yes, sounds good to me...
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

No I wouldnt like it. To me that would be us interfering with our bodies functions too much. It doesnt seem right. Idk...

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

Ok I don't think cancer is here for population control. It's just here unfortunately for us.

Also, I wouldn't mind living 1000 years, you could achieve a lot. But I do not beleive that if this were ever to happen no one would see out the 1000 years. Accidents always happen, I'd love to see them little nanos re configure your face and organs after you are struck by a truck.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I wouldn't mind living for about 300 years if that means I could keep my young youthful body.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Ugh, I don't know if I would want to be around for a millenia.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I wouldn't want to.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
No, unless I had say... 300 billion, and my wife/girlfriend remained alive with me, so did my kids(if i had any), my parents.. also do I remain young or do we look old?
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
I wouldnt mind living that long just to observe the future and see how technology advances, but can you imagine the over population it would cause? Bad idea.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I totally would. We would run into a lot of economizing problems if people lived to 1k, but I don't think they are anything we couldn't overcome.
JustusCF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 JustusCF
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts

Aubrey de Grey (Ph.D) says someone alive right now will live to be 1000+ years old. Only problem is there are so many crackpot scientists out there willing to say or "study" anything to keep on getting money for their "studies".

---

I think it's possible with the right technology , cell rejuvenation, (one of Mr. Grey's claims).

---

I think it would be cool to live that long, but could a person go that long without an accidental death?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
man cannot run away from death.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cee1gee
Member since 2008 • 2042 Posts

It is not possible and this is why....They have a hard time "maintaining" cells now...people dying of illnesses etc

Plus the millions of possibilities on how to die...its not just being sick....natural disasters, freak accidents etc..

it is not possible

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
If the planet is over populated now just think what it would be like if people lived for 1000 years.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

fight cancer yes... but idk it would be a good idea to extend human life if we needed to move planets since it would take 100s or 1000s of light years to go find another decent planet

3minty3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 3minty3
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts

As much as I would like to see what life and technology is like in 1000 years, I would still only want to live between 75+ years. Life would get too tedious after 100 years. Would we be living 1000 years as an old man or would our life just be strectched out ( like being a teenager for 100 years)?

-_Canada_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -_Canada_-
Member since 2009 • 82 Posts

If it is possible, the people that commit serious crimes would have to have harsher consequences, such as death.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

I didn't even know cancer and other diseases were 'put here' to begin with.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Maybe a couple of hundred extra years would be good. A thousand might be a bit much though.
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts

if we could live that long, I would not want to

8732_YoungJeezy
I sure as hell would
shoot-first