Obama: "The World is Less Violent Than It Has Ever Been"

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#101 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Obama's overall point is valid, i.e. that the world today isn't as bad as people make it out to be. People think it's worse than it is.

But the same can be said about the past as well. Past centuries had their problems sure, but they weren't as bad as many people make it sound.

One example is that many people today still believe negative myths about the Middle Ages that originated during the so called Enlightenment and fit in with their own anti-Medieval biases. Medieval people did not think the Earth was flat. And there were many smart and highly educated people back then, and great works of art and architecture.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#102 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Except US schools

chocolate234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103 chocolate234
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

It is true, but the benefits haven't been equally distributed. The US and Europe may be less violent than ever, but that doesn't help the Middle East or Africa when they see a resurgence of violence.

And 'better than we were before' should not be the standard we seek. The total elimination of violence should be the standard, even if it is unobtainable. Obama's argument would mean the NRA was right all along and there is no need for greater gun control because we don't have a wild west anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@chaoscougar1 said:

Except US schools

Don't be an idiot.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#105 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@airshocker said:

@chaoscougar1 said:

Except US schools

Don't be an idiot.

I try, but its hard sometimes :(

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#106 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

I don't know about the Young people he's referring to, but I'm not cynical because of the issues he mentions, I'm cynical because of the constant stream of bullshit i am fed by politicians, the banking cartel having carte blanché over my life, and because democracy feels like a system of two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. I don't need Health issues or apparent violence in order to feel wronged, I simply need to be wronged, simple as that