Obama slams Republican 'right-to-work' legislation in Michigan

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-michigan-right-to-work-20121211,0,3401898.story

I support the right to work because you shouldnt have to join a union just to work in a certain area. I support the rights of unions but they shouldnt be taking over like this

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Cool.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts

The majority of your topics are just links, and nothing else

So ok, thanks for the info!

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Do you know what Obama had for lunch today?
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Don't just post a bunch of links and fish for comments. We're interested in what you have to say about it too. Start the conversation: if you can't participate in the thread, it's better for someone else to make it.

EDIT: Now go ahead and edit something useful into the OP. Then I'll leave it open.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Yeah we need to support those autoworkers that get to smoke weed and drink beer on their lunch breaks and are impossible to fire because of the unions. Good thing they aren't doing anyhting important like building cars...Oh wait.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Yeah we need to support those autoworkers that get to smoke weed and drink beer on their lunch breaks and are impossible to fire because of the unions. Good thing they aren't doing anyhting important like building cars...Oh wait. DaBrainz

Show where anything but a tiny percentage of union workers do what you suggest.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaBrainz

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Yeah we need to support those autoworkers that get to smoke weed and drink beer on their lunch breaks and are impossible to fire because of the unions. Good thing they aren't doing anyhting important like building cars...Oh wait. jimkabrhel

What does the percentage matter? It happened, it's documented, it's a problem. If you are a Chrysler worker you can go and get high and drunk during your lunch break and Chrysler will not be allow to fire you because of the UAW. Its disgusting and anybody that supports the UAW at this point has low moral character.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Yeah we need to support those autoworkers that get to smoke weed and drink beer on their lunch breaks and are impossible to fire because of the unions. Good thing they aren't doing anyhting important like building cars...Oh wait. DaBrainz

What does the percentage matter? It happened, it's documented, it's a problem. If you are a Chrysler worker you can go and get high and drunk during your lunch break and Chrysler will not be allow to fire you because of the UAW. Its disgusting and anybody that supports the UAW at this point has low moral character.

And if Michigan signs this right to work bill into law then those auto workers will have access to that same representation from the UAW, just without having to pay any dues.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Yeah we need to support those autoworkers that get to smoke weed and drink beer on their lunch breaks and are impossible to fire because of the unions. Good thing they aren't doing anyhting important like building cars...Oh wait. DaBrainz

So you are going to decry the entrie group, or every union just because of a few bad eggs? If that is your philosophy, we'd have to end every kind of group out there. Legislatures at the national and state level, where the decisions on unions are being made, also contain bad eggs, who do things on company time (i.e. using taxpayer money) that you wouldn't want to pay for.

Why don't we end Congress? There are ways to get rid of union workers who really aren't pulling their weight, or if they are violating rules. Just like we can get rid of Congressmen.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
[QUOTE="DaBrainz"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

-Sun_Tzu-

And if Michigan signs this right to work bill into law then those auto workers will have access to that same representation from the UAW, just without having to pay any dues.

which would probably lead to the disappearance of unions in the long run anyway
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaBrainz

-Sun_Tzu-

You have no idea what you're talking about. A union is not going to finance arbitration hearings for a non-union person,
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaBrainz

jimkabrhel

So you are going to decry the entrie group, or every union just because of a few bad eggs? If that is your philosophy, we'd have to end every kind of group out there. Legislatures at the national and state level, where the decisions on unions are being made, also contain bad eggs, who do things on company time (i.e. using taxpayer money) that you wouldn't want to pay for.

Why don't we end Congress? There are ways to get rid of union workers who really aren't pulling their weight, or if they are violating rules. Just like we can get rid of Congressmen.

You are missing the point. This isn't about a few bad eggs. This is about large unions backing the bad eggs to the point where people with important jobs can get drunk and stoned with no repercussions. If unions want support they should denounce the bad eggs.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

Do you know what Obama had for lunch today? -Sun_Tzu-

Steak and potatoes.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DaBrainz"] What does the percentage matter? It happened, it's documented, it's a problem. If you are a Chrysler worker you can go and get high and drunk during your lunch break and Chrysler will not be allow to fire you because of the UAW. Its disgusting and anybody that supports the UAW at this point has low moral character. DaBrainz

You have not idea what you're talking about. A union is not going to finance arbitration hearings for a non-union person,

Unions are required to represent all workers that are a part of their bargaining unit, not just union workers. In states without right-to-work laws non-union workers typically pay a fee to cover the costs for the representation they receive. All right-to-work laws do is make it illegal to charge that fee, nothing more.

From the NLRB:

"More than 20 states have banned union-security agreements by passing so-called "right to work" laws. In these states, it is up to each employee at a workplace to decide whether or not to join the union and pay dues, even though all workers are protected by the collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the union."

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
lol @ non paying members getting benefits that unions negotiate on their behalf
ChelGirl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChelGirl86
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts
Given the choice many some people will probably choose not to be part of the union, so that's less money going in, and then less power. The auto workers still have it pretty good. We'll see how people adjust to this new legislation.
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
personally i have nothing against unions ( they have some very huge positives and negatives on both sides) but i would like the option of not being forced into being into a union just to work.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Sun_Tzu-
personally i have nothing against unions ( they have some very huge positives and negatives on both sides) but i would like the option of not being forced into being into a union just to work.fl4tlined
You already have that right without these laws in place.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

"In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, such as right to work. It is a law to rob us of our civil rights and job rights. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions."

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

It's sad that we're still fighting the problems of decades past.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

"In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, such as right to work. It is a law to rob us of our civil rights and job rights. Its purpose is to destroy labor unions."

Blue-Sky

Came in here to post this. QFT

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Michigander here! Let me start off by saying that: THIS BILL SUCKS. Michigan is embarrassing itself with this crap.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Michigander here! Let me start off by saying that: THIS BILL SUCKS. Michigan is embarrassing itself with this crap.YoshiYogurt
I live in Michigan myself and I love this law. Giving workers the right to not join a union is only bad to one group of people, THE UNIONS. The people that makes tons of money for no reason. They negotiate bad contracts for the auto companies and get paid six figure salaries to do nothing. I shouldn't have to pay into an organization that protects bad workers and hurt companies by demanding unrealistic salaries for certain jobs just to work in a certain workplace. The UAW is strangling the auto companies, driving up the cost of cars because they think people that do unskilled jobs on the floor deserve $30/hour salaries. Why should peopel eb required to support that? The entire system is a joke. I honoestly can't understand why anyone but the union goons would be upset with this law.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaBrainz

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] And if Michigan signs this right to work bill into law then those auto workers will have access to that same representation from the UAW, just without having to pay any dues. -Sun_Tzu-

You have not idea what you're talking about. A union is not going to finance arbitration hearings for a non-union person,

Unions are required to represent all workers that are a part of their bargaining unit, not just union workers. In states without right-to-work laws non-union workers typically pay a fee to cover the costs for the representation they receive. All right-to-work laws do is make it illegal to charge that fee, nothing more.

From the NLRB:

"More than 20 states have banned union-security agreements by passing so-called "right to work" laws. In these states, it is up to each employee at a workplace to decide whether or not to join the union and pay dues, even though all workers are protected by the collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the union."

Then perhaps we need to get rid of that artifact of the NLRA also.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaBrainz
[QUOTE="fl4tlined"]personally i have nothing against unions ( they have some very huge positives and negatives on both sides) but i would like the option of not being forced into being into a union just to work.-Sun_Tzu-
You already have that right without these laws in place.

just not the right to opt out of paying for it...
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Michigander here! Let me start off by saying that: THIS BILL SUCKS. Michigan is embarrassing itself with this crap.Toxic-Seahorse

I live in Michigan myself and I love this law. Giving workers the right to not join a union is only bad to one group of people, THE UNIONS. The people that makes tons of money for no reason. They negotiate bad contracts for the auto companies and get paid six figure salaries to do nothing. I shouldn't have to pay into an organization that protects bad workers and hurt companies by demanding unrealistic salaries for certain jobs just to work in a certain workplace. The UAW is strangling the auto companies, driving up the cost of cars because they think people that do unskilled jobs on the floor deserve $30/hour salaries. Why should peopel eb required to support that? The entire system is a joke. I honoestly can't understand why anyone but the union goons would be upset with this law.

Do you typically support people getting all the benefit of a group without joining and paying into that group?
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Michigander here! Let me start off by saying that: THIS BILL SUCKS. Michigan is embarrassing itself with this crap.worlock77

Do you typically support people getting all the benefit of a group without joining and paying into that group?

It's not an individual's fault that that is how it's set up. They need to change it if they don't like it. It may not be fair to paying union members, but it shouldn't be the non union worker's concern, it's the company's and union's concern. The whole reasoning behind this bill is that you shouldn't be forced to pay a union just to work a certain job, it's criminal.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#28 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Im glad that happened in Michigan. Unions have to much power as is.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]I live in Michigan myself and I love this law. Giving workers the right to not join a union is only bad to one group of people, THE UNIONS. The people that makes tons of money for no reason. They negotiate bad contracts for the auto companies and get paid six figure salaries to do nothing. I shouldn't have to pay into an organization that protects bad workers and hurt companies by demanding unrealistic salaries for certain jobs just to work in a certain workplace. The UAW is strangling the auto companies, driving up the cost of cars because they think people that do unskilled jobs on the floor deserve $30/hour salaries. Why should peopel eb required to support that? The entire system is a joke. I honoestly can't understand why anyone but the union goons would be upset with this law.

Toxic-Seahorse

It's not an individual's fault that that is how it's set up. They need to change it if they don't like it. It may not be fair to paying union members, but it shouldn't be the non union worker's concern, it's the company's and union's concern. The whole reasoning behind this bill is that you shouldn't be forced to pay a union just to work a certain job, it's criminal.

I agree that you shouldn't be forced to join a union, but neither should you benefit from the union's collective bargaining if you don't join (which is what this bill effectively does).
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaBrainz
Union thugs get violent in Lansing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_F3oev06i0&feature=g-high-lik Please let's support these pillars of integrity!
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Mixed opinions on this, but I can see good reasons for requiring union membership (as well of course as good reasons for not requiring it). [QUOTE="DaBrainz"]Union thugs get violent in Lansing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_F3oev06i0&feature=g-high-lik Please let's support these pillars of integrity!

It's telling that all you've done is post one incident (and claim other incidents), rather than point to broader statistics.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Blue-Sky

It's funny that MLK said stuff like that, yet some confused conservatives still think that he was a Republican. :lol:

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#33 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

I slam bringing politics into Gamespot

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mingmao3046
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"] Do you typically support people getting all the benefit of a group without joining and paying into that group?worlock77

I agree that you shouldn't be forced to join a union, but neither should you benefit from the union's collective bargaining if you don't join (which is what this bill effectively does).

the person not in the union is not forcing the unions to do things on his behalf. no one is forcing the unions to fight for higher wages
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mingmao3046

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Guybrush_3

Came in here to post this. QFT

lmao. So by giving people the right to now have to join and pay a union, you are destroying it? okay
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Abbeten
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] It's not an individual's fault that that is how it's set up. They need to change it if they don't like it. It may not be fair to paying union members, but it shouldn't be the non union worker's concern, it's the company's and union's concern. The whole reasoning behind this bill is that you shouldn't be forced to pay a union just to work a certain job, it's criminal.mingmao3046

the person not in the union is not forcing the unions to do things on his behalf. no one is forcing the unions to fight for higher wages

you're being purposely obtuse.
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mingmao3046
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="worlock77"] I agree that you shouldn't be forced to join a union, but neither should you benefit from the union's collective bargaining if you don't join (which is what this bill effectively does).

why should the non union person have to pay for the unions? he might not even agree with what the union is doing
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Abbeten
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"] the person not in the union is not forcing the unions to do things on his behalf. no one is forcing the unions to fight for higher wages

why should the non union person have to pay for the unions? he might not even agree with what the union is doing

i'm sure you've asked this question a thousand times and received a thousand explanations of the free rider problem this creates
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mingmao3046
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] you're being purposely obtuse.

i'm sure you've asked this question a thousand times and received a thousand explanations of the free rider problem this creates

So? again, the person might not support or care about the union.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Abbeten
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"]why should the non union person have to pay for the unions? he might not even agree with what the union is doingmingmao3046

and yet they're still getting all the benefits of the union anyway. this is an indirect way to target and damage unions.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 worlock77
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] It's not an individual's fault that that is how it's set up. They need to change it if they don't like it. It may not be fair to paying union members, but it shouldn't be the non union worker's concern, it's the company's and union's concern. The whole reasoning behind this bill is that you shouldn't be forced to pay a union just to work a certain job, it's criminal.mingmao3046

So you're cool with freeloading? Never would have guessed it.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

can't they just make it so that unions only are only required to rep union members?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

can't they just make it so that unions only are only required to rep union members?

coolbeans90
Yea I was thinking about this as well.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

coolbeans90
That would be too logical, so no.
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mingmao3046
[QUOTE="worlock77"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="worlock77"] I agree that you shouldn't be forced to join a union, but neither should you benefit from the union's collective bargaining if you don't join (which is what this bill effectively does).

So you're cool with freeloading? Never would have guessed it.

how is it freeloading?hes not forcing the union to fight for higher wages
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mingmao3046
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] i'm sure you've asked this question a thousand times and received a thousand explanations of the free rider problem this creates

and yet they're still getting all the benefits of the union anyway. this is an indirect way to target and damage unions.

they arent forcing the union to fight for them. workers should not be forced to pay into something like that
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Abbeten
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"] So? again, the person might not support or care about the union.

they arent forcing the union to fight for them. workers should not be forced to pay into something like that

the unions have a 'choice' either to fight for them or basically dissolve. not much of a choice
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

It's funny that MLK said stuff like that, yet some confused conservatives still think that he was a Republican. :lol:

GreySeal9

That's because they omitt the part where the Republican Party used to be the liberal party, founded by liberals to combat the southern right wing Democrats.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] and yet they're still getting all the benefits of the union anyway. this is an indirect way to target and damage unions.Abbeten

the unions have a 'choice' either to fight for them or basically dissolve. not much of a choice

They can fight for those that pay. If they have an issue with all workers in a workplace being treated the same they need to take it up with the companies their employees work for. If GM wants to treat all workers the same, it's not the non-union workers' fault.

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

I agree with Obama's stance; I can exactly where he comes from, and he's right. While unions have sometimes proven to limit production - or worse, essentially skim from employee wages without giving anything back like what I experienced in retail - they also do have their value. The American autoworker's unions have actually done good things; they're nowhere near as corrupt as the Ontario teacher's union and they make the jobs good.

As a Canadian who does technical support for an American company, I've learned a lot of things about American money and your economy; even if there is a lot of opportunity, everyone wants to pay minimum wage. Now, if right-to-work is imposed, it eliminates bargaining power - as your president has put it. This will weaken the union and empower the company. Given modern corporate ethics, this could prove disastrous.