Obama Backs New Assault Weapon Ban

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#52 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Name one case in which an assault rifle was used to shoot up a school in the US.Wasdie

You kidding me? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57559416/assault-rifle-used-during-sandy-hook-massacre/

That wasn't an assault rifle. An assault rifle is a weapon capable of selective fire, which the AR-15 used in that massacre was not capable of. That gun was your standard semi-automatic rifle. Just because it looked like an M4 doesn't make it an assault rifle. Even with a 5 round mag the damage would have been pretty significant.

You just go to show that you know nothing about guns yet you are really quick to want to ban them out of fear.Assault rifles have been illegal since 1934 and will probably always stay that way.

You're awfully aggressive really quick here Casey. So, ban semi-automatic rifles then because, again, nobody can come up with a reason why anyone needs access to have one.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Good thing we can't own assault rifles.

Also, you're now trying to classify guns as some are "more deadly" than others, this is and argument that people who are clueless about firearms try to argue all of the time. It's pointless and I think you would be shocked to know how many people in your community own those deadly "assault weapons" yet have never once used them for anything more than recreation.

Banning the sale them is pointless as it only would stop future gun owners and does nothing about 2nd hand trade, which is impossible to actually regulate.

The point is people are scared about something they don't understand. That's it. There is nothing else. You want to do something for the greater good then go after trying to find the reason behind why somebody would want to shoot up a school or commit a crime with a firearm. Don't knee jerk because you're clearly scared of something you know nothing about and are very quick to judge people on.

thegerg
I didn't hear any reason in any of that post for why an "assault weapon" is needed for recreational reasons.

It's not needed for recreational purposes. What's your point?

My point is that nobody can come up with a reason why ORDINARY PEOPLE need one PERIOD. There's no real use for those types of weapons other than to kill a lot of people as quickly as possible.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#54 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Guns don't kill people, physics kill people.

This is why I want everyone to wear an inertia-cancelling device that stops anything coming in at more than 30mph.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

And you're going to spend the bilions it would cost to regulate a 2nd hand market?

Sounds like the war on drugs all over again.

Wasdie

Or spend the Billions to turn public schools into Prisons with armed guards, checkpoints, and locked doors?

Yes that's exaclty what I want and is what is logical...

:lol: Yes, yes instead of keeping Dangerous out of the hands of crazy people, let's just send the kids to prison. Let's let all the criminals out of prison. Move the kids there, and give them all guns "just in case" I mean, if everyone had a gun, then there would be no crime. Criminals would be too scared to commit any crimes right?
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] I didn't hear any reason in any of that post for why an "assault weapon" is needed for recreational reasons.

It's not needed for recreational purposes. What's your point?

My point is that nobody can come up with a reason why ORDINARY PEOPLE need one PERIOD. There's no real use for those types of weapons other than to kill a lot of people as quickly as possible.

So where does medical malpractice and government affiliated violence that kill thousands and thousands of people come in place? You can't penalize a politically higher power with guns regulation but now you must penalize the people who cary the brunt of these problems? I find that rather silly.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#57 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

My point is that nobody can come up with a reason why ORDINARY PEOPLE need one PERIOD. There's no real use for those types of weapons other than to kill a lot of people as quickly as possible.nocoolnamejim

Recreation isn't a real use? Neither is hunting, collecting, or self defense?

You don't "need" a gun like you don't "need" a lot of things. You're just afriad of something that you don't understand.

If you're trying to turn this into what you need versus what you don't need, then there is no point arguing with you.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Or spend the Billions to turn public schools into Prisons with armed guards, checkpoints, and locked doors?Nuck81

:lol: Yes, yes instead of keeping Dangerous out of the hands of crazy people, let's just send the kids to prison. Let's let all the criminals out of prison. Move the kids there, and give them all guns "just in case" I mean, if everyone had a gun, then there would be no crime. Criminals would be too scared to commit any crimes right?

You sure made me look like a fool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5e9044657a310

Wasdie

You sure made me look like a fool.

You made it pretty easy
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Kamekazi_69

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] Or spend the Billions to turn public schools into Prisons with armed guards, checkpoints, and locked doors?Nuck81

I have a better idea. how about we don't over exaggerate the situation like many have done prior, and instead of blaming inanimate objects since by some divine reason nothing except guns are culprits to this, we attack the source of the problem and really understand what is going on without spending "billions".

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]My point is that nobody can come up with a reason why ORDINARY PEOPLE need one PERIOD. There's no real use for those types of weapons other than to kill a lot of people as quickly as possible.Wasdie

You don't "need" a gun like you don't "need" a lot of things. You're just afriad of something that you don't understand.

If you're trying to turn this into what you need versus what you don't need, then there is no point arguing with you.

Do you agree that anyone should have access to a Grenade Launcher? By the logic you're using, those can be used for hunting, collecting or self-defense. This is about where the line is drawn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5e9044657a310

Kamekazi_69

I have a better idea. how about we don't over exaggerate the situation like many have done prior, and instead of blaming inanimate objects since by some divine reason nothing except guns are culprits to this, we attack the source of the problem and really understand what is going on without spending "billions".

By Banning Videogames and violent movies instead? No matter what the solution is, it will mean greater restriction and control. Rather that be in restrictions in the types of Weapons Available, or Restrictions in the types of people allowed Access to the Weapons, by trying to find the cause of Mental Illness, and screen out individuals with Mental Illness. It will cost money, research, and time. Which one sounds more feasible to you?
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="thegerg"] It's not needed for recreational purposes. What's your point?thegerg

So you're in favor of banning things simply because you don't think they're needed?

I'm in favor of banning things that aren't needed and have no legitimate usage other than to kill lots of people. An X-box isn't NEEDED, but it also cannot be misused in such a way as to kill dozens of people. KIND OF A KEY DIFFERENCE.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#65 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Wake me up when someone uses an X-Box as an assault weapon to kill 20 kids.

I think the story out of China about the individual who stabbed 22 children and an elderly women outside a school is important to consider when thinking about banning firearms. Should I need a license for my 8" Wusthof chef knife? Should it be banned for the horrors that an individual could conceivably commit? Perhaps we should also make it illegal to ball up your fist, because plenty of people have committed murder with that alone.

Do you not find these considerations compelling?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]My point is that nobody can come up with a reason why ORDINARY PEOPLE need one PERIOD. There's no real use for those types of weapons other than to kill a lot of people as quickly as possible.nocoolnamejim

Do you agree that anyone should have access to a Grenade Launcher? By the logic you're using, those can be used for hunting, collecting or self-defense. This is about where the line is drawn.

How is that even relevant? You're trying to turn this into a need based argument. Straw man much with this whole "grenade launcher" BS?

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Someone explain to me why assault weapons are more dangerous than non-assault weapons. What point are you trying to make liberals?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="thegerg"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] My point is that nobody can come up with a reason why ORDINARY PEOPLE need one PERIOD. There's no real use for those types of weapons other than to kill a lot of people as quickly as possible.nocoolnamejim

So you're in favor of banning things simply because you don't think they're needed?

I'm in favor of banning things that aren't needed and have no legitimate usage other than to kill lots of people. An X-box isn't NEEDED, but it also cannot be misused in such a way as to kill dozens of people. KIND OF A KEY DIFFERENCE.

I can kill a whole lot of people with my 5 round bolt action rilfe from WWII. Even more with my 10 round bolt action rifle from WWII because it has a smoother action and is more accurate. Ban those too?

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Wake me up when someone uses an X-Box as an assault weapon to kill 20 kids.

I think the story out of China about the individual who stabbed 22 children and an elderly women outside a school is important to consider when thinking about banning firearms. Should I need a license for my 8" Wusthof chef knife? Should it be banned for the horrors that an individual could conceivably commit? Perhaps we should also make it illegal to ball up your fist, because plenty of people have committed murder with that alone.

I find the consideration that a chef knife has other, legitimate, uses and a semi-automatic rifle does not compelling.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="thegerg"]

Wasdie

I can kill a whole lot of people with my 5 round bolt action rilfe from WWII. Even more with my 10 round bolt action rifle from WWII because it has a smoother action and is more accurate. Ban those too?

You answer my question first. Do you need a grenade launcher or are you in favor of those being banned from ordinary citizens? If you agree that a grenade launcher should be banned, then you agree with the general principle that the government CAN and SHOULD have restrictions on which type of weapons ordinary people should have and be able to own. At that point, once you answer that, we can move onto specifically where the line should be drawn.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Wasdie  Moderator

I find the consideration that a chef knife has other, legitimate, uses and a semi-automatic rifle does not compelling.nocoolnamejim

So basically, you want to ban them because you can't find a need?

I'm glad people like you don't make public policy, because I wouldn't be allowed to get drunk or eat fast food because a lot of people feel I don't need those.

Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Kamekazi_69
[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] :lol: Yes, yes instead of keeping Dangerous out of the hands of crazy people, let's just send the kids to prison. Let's let all the criminals out of prison. Move the kids there, and give them all guns "just in case" I mean, if everyone had a gun, then there would be no crime. Criminals would be too scared to commit any crimes right?Nuck81

By Banning Videogames and violent movies instead? No matter what the solution is, it will mean greater restriction and control. Rather that be in restrictions in the types of Weapons Available, or Restrictions in the types of people allowed Access to the Weapons, by trying to find the cause of Mental Illness, and screen out individuals with Mental Illness. It will cost money, research, and time. Which one sounds more feasible to you?

Nothing needs to be banned or regulated. There's enough regulation already. Instead of being pushed by fear and giving into bans or regulation, we need to approach a source. I don't have a feasible answer for you, but it begins at home. Most of these mass shooters are medicated individuals. That's not to say anti-deppresents are to blame which Im not blaming, but we really have to understand how we as a society are masking problems when it comes to mental illness. if you are not a medicated walking corpse in school, then you are abnormal. Most kids show signs of mental distress but usually it goes ignored.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 musicalmac  Moderator
I find the consideration that a chef knife has other, legitimate, uses and a semi-automatic rifle does not compelling.nocoolnamejim
That's not addressing the heart of the issue, however, which is that an 8" chef knife could be used to stab dozens of people in a single incident, regardless of other perceived uses.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Wake me up when someone uses an X-Box as an assault weapon to kill 20 kids.

That silly argument reminds of this article As far as that first bit is concerned, I couldn't agree more. Fire and drugs kill people. I am so agreeing with that right now. But in this article by Scott L. Bach, president of guns and stuff, he puts forth an argument in favor of guns and stuff that takes it too far. It is a very common yet very broken argument, so I'll just copy/paste it for you right here: "When an arsonist lights a match that burns a building, is the match at fault? Are match manufacturers responsible for the fire? Should laws be passed prohibiting you from having and using matches, or restricting which types you can have, and in what quantities? "The obvious answer to these questions is no. The same match that is misused by the arsonist lights the fireplace that warms us, and the stove that feeds us. The match has no mind of its own. It is not an evil invention. Its purpose is to ignite, nothing more. If it is misused, the solution is to punish the individual wrongdoer. Everyone else should be left alone. "The same is true of firearms." OK. Simply put, "Nuh-uh." A match has many uses completely unrelated to causing death. A match is not manufactured or intended for death. And the same goes for drugs (unless of course you're talking about the death of the walls confining us to our limited understanding of perception, man). In fact, the same goes for basically anything other than a firearm. Tools are misused to kill people, it's true. But tools are meant for something else entirely. Tools build and fix and aid and improve. Firearms do not. If used correctly, a firearm is meant to, in an instant, kill or destroy something. If a gun is used incorrectly, it would actually mean that something doesn't get shot. http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-4-most-meaningless-arguments-against-gun-control/#ixzz2HVhz2IHT
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 nocoolnamejim
Someone explain to me why assault weapons are more dangerous than non-assault weapons. What point are you trying to make liberals?DaBrainz
Why is a 9mm beretta more dangerous than one of those old Colt Peacemakers? Larger ammo clip. Longer time between reloads. Faster rate of fire. More dangerous/damage dealing ammunition possibilities. People invent new guns because they are better at killing than the older variety are. If they didn't, then the first guns invented several centuries ago would never have been improved upon. Pretty obvious point that the newer the guns, the faster they can fire and the longer the time between reloads = more dangerous.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] So, ban semi-automatic rifles then because, again, nobody can come up with a reason why anyone needs access to have one.

What is your goal? What is the intended result of banning semi-automatic rifles?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
This will probably be a waste of time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"] I have a better idea. how about we don't over exaggerate the situation like many have done prior, and instead of blaming inanimate objects since by some divine reason nothing except guns are culprits to this, we attack the source of the problem and really understand what is going on without spending "billions".Kamekazi_69

Nothing needs to be banned or regulated. There's enough regulation already. Instead of being pushed by fear and giving into bans or regulation, we need to approach a source. I don't have a feasible answer for you, but it begins at home. Most of these mass shooters are medicated individuals. That's not to say anti-deppresents are to blame which Im not blaming, but we really have to understand how we as a society are masking problems when it comes to mental illness. if you are not a medicated walking corpse in school, then you are abnormal. Most kids show signs of mental distress but usually it goes ignored.

As a Public School teacher, I agree with that totally, except how it relates with the topic at hand
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I find the consideration that a chef knife has other, legitimate, uses and a semi-automatic rifle does not compelling.musicalmac
That's not addressing the heart of the issue, however, which is that an 8" chef knife could be used to stab dozens of people in a single incident, regardless of other perceived uses.

Actually, it is. A chef knife was used for something that was outside of it's intended purpose. I have a salt shaker on my desk right now. Technically, I can find a way to kill someone with it. Just like a chef knife can be deadly. But with a semi-automatic rifle? Killing lots of people as quickly as you can IS IT'S PURPOSE. You don't filet a fish with a semi-auto rifle. There's a reason why a chef needs a chef knife. There's no reason why he needs a gun whose only real purpose is to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Military need those things. Police need those things. My next door neighbor doesn't.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I think the story out of China about the individual who stabbed 22 children and an elderly women outside a school is important to consider when thinking about banning firearms. Should I need a license for my 8" Wusthof chef knife? Should it be banned for the horrors that an individual could conceivably commit? Perhaps we should also make it illegal to ball up your fist, because plenty of people have committed murder with that alone.

Do you not find these considerations compelling?Nuck81
That silly argument reminds of this article As far as that first bit is concerned, I couldn't agree more. Fire and drugs kill people. I am so agreeing with that right now. But in this article by Scott L. Bach, president of guns and stuff, he puts forth an argument in favor of guns and stuff that takes it too far. It is a very common yet very broken argument, so I'll just copy/paste it for you right here: "When an arsonist lights a match that burns a building, is the match at fault? Are match manufacturers responsible for the fire? Should laws be passed prohibiting you from having and using matches, or restricting which types you can have, and in what quantities? "The obvious answer to these questions is no. The same match that is misused by the arsonist lights the fireplace that warms us, and the stove that feeds us. The match has no mind of its own. It is not an evil invention. Its purpose is to ignite, nothing more. If it is misused, the solution is to punish the individual wrongdoer. Everyone else should be left alone. "The same is true of firearms." OK. Simply put, "Nuh-uh." A match has many uses completely unrelated to causing death. A match is not manufactured or intended for death. And the same goes for drugs (unless of course you're talking about the death of the walls confining us to our limited understanding of perception, man). In fact, the same goes for basically anything other than a firearm. Tools are misused to kill people, it's true. But tools are meant for something else entirely. Tools build and fix and aid and improve. Firearms do not. If used correctly, a firearm is meant to, in an instant, kill or destroy something. If a gun is used incorrectly, it would actually mean that something doesn't get shot. http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-4-most-meaningless-arguments-against-gun-control/#ixzz2HVhz2IHT

I believe it's foolish to focus on gun control after an atrocity such as the shooting in Connecticut.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 nocoolnamejim
This will probably be a waste of time -Sun_Tzu-
I'm getting that impression.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] I'm in favor of banning things that aren't needed and have no legitimate usage other than to kill lots of people. An X-box isn't NEEDED, but it also cannot be misused in such a way as to kill dozens of people. KIND OF A KEY DIFFERENCE.nocoolnamejim

You answer my question first. Do you need a grenade launcher or are you in favor of those being banned from ordinary citizens? If you agree that a grenade launcher should be banned, then you agree with the general principle that the government CAN and SHOULD have restrictions on which type of weapons ordinary people should have and be able to own. At that point, once you answer that, we can move onto specifically where the line should be drawn.

So basically you've gotten me to a point where if I say yes, people look at me as a crazed lunatic who thinks people should own grenade launchers, or if I say no, then I believe that the government should be able to restrict certain weapons and thus agree with you?

Well to answer your question, I don't believe people should be able to own those kind of explosives because the storage of said explosives are far too dangerous. I don't see why it would be wrong to own the actual grenade launcher though. The explosives would fall under the laws that prevent private citizens from owning certain kinds of explosive devices for public safety purposes. Grenade launcher is kind of useless without ammo.

As for guns, I don't think it's unreasonable that the government prevents the sale of guns to criminals but after that it's kind of pointless. You can legally own .50 cal guns (really large guns). The storage of cartridge based ammunition is not illegal as it is much safer than many other types of explosives and explosive material found even in your own home. I even feel thinks like the assault rifle ban is pointless as "fully auto" doesn't make a gun more deadly as accuracy severely decreases while weapon reliability does as well. However keeping the ban of fully automatic weapons to civilians makes a lot of people feel better, so it would be hard to get that one changed.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Actually, it is. A chef knife was used for something that was outside of it's intended purpose. I have a salt shaker on my desk right now. Technically, I can find a way to kill someone with it. Just like a chef knife can be deadly. But with a semi-automatic rifle? Killing lots of people as quickly as you can IS IT'S PURPOSE. You don't filet a fish with a semi-auto rifle. There's a reason why a chef needs a chef knife. There's no reason why he needs a gun whose only real purpose is to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Military need those things. Police need those things. My next door neighbor doesn't.

The purpose of a knife is to cut things, to better slice through materials. There are combat knives that don't differ much from an 8" chef knife. Should we ban the purchase of knives intended for things other than cooking? What about camping knives that include serrated edges?
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Kamekazi_69
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"][QUOTE="Nuck81"]By Banning Videogames and violent movies instead? No matter what the solution is, it will mean greater restriction and control. Rather that be in restrictions in the types of Weapons Available, or Restrictions in the types of people allowed Access to the Weapons, by trying to find the cause of Mental Illness, and screen out individuals with Mental Illness. It will cost money, research, and time. Which one sounds more feasible to you?

As a Public School teacher, I agree with that totally, except how it relates with the topic at hand

It relates to the topic in the form that we can't simply outlaw a weapon, a tool in order to ease the burden of violence within individuals. There's more to the problem and banning things will not change it, and it is a response out of fear, not rational thinking.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
That's not addressing the heart of the issue, however, which is that an 8" chef knife could be used to stab dozens of people in a single incident, regardless of other perceived uses. musicalmac
And I could use my car to kill a large number of people. That doesn't mean cars should be banned, since their main function, the reason for their existence is a non-lethal one. To put it slightly differently, the primary purpose of a car is to transport things and people, just as the primary purpose of a chef knife is to aid in the preparation of food. By contrast, the primary purpose of an assault rifle is to kill people. When looked at from that point of view, it makes a certain amount of sense that the ownership of assault rifles should be more heavily regulated than the ownership of cars and chef knifes. Guns actually do kill people, a lot more often and a lot more effectively than either cars or kitchen knives. That's the whole point of certain types of guns, actually. To have both sides of the debate actually acknowledge that would be a good first step towards being able to actually have a debate.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]That's not addressing the heart of the issue, however, which is that an 8" chef knife could be used to stab dozens of people in a single incident, regardless of other perceived uses. ChiliDragon
And I could use my car to kill a large number of people. That doesn't mean cars should be banned ,since their main function, the reason for their existence is a non-lethal one. To put it slightly differently, the primary purpose of a car is to transport things and people, just as the primary purpose of a chef knife is to aid in the preparation of food. By contrast, the primary purpose of am assault rifle is to kill people. When looked at from that point of view, it makes a certain amount of sense to regulate the ownership of assault rifles should be more heavily regulated than the ownership of cars and chef knifes. Guns actually do kill people, a lot more often and a lot more effectively than either cars of kitchen knives. That's the whole point of certain types of guns, actually. To have both sides of the debate actually acknowledge that would be a good first step towards being able to actually have a debate.

I understand that completely, but I also don't think the government are the only ones who should be able to own and operate them. Heck, public opinion polls put the approval of our government at almost record lows. Why would I possibly trust these same people who we don't approve to be the only ones with all of the guns?

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 nocoolnamejim

Wasdie

So basically you've gotten me to a point where if I say yes, people look at me as a crazed lunatic who thinks people should own grenade launchers, or if I say no, then I believe that the government should be able to restrict certain weapons and thus agree with you?

Well to answer your question, I don't believe people should be able to own those kind of explosives because the storage of said explosives are far too dangerous. I don't see why it would be wrong to own the actual grenade launcher though. The explosives would fall under the laws that prevent private citizens from owning certain kinds of explosive devices for public safety purposes. Grenade launcher is kind of useless without ammo.

As for guns, I don't think it's unreasonable that the government prevents the sale of guns to criminals but after that it's kind of pointless. You can legally own .50 cal guns (really large guns). The storage of cartridge based ammunition is not illegal as it is much safer than many other types of explosives and explosive material found even in your own home. I even feel thinks like the assault rifle ban is pointless as "fully auto" doesn't make a gun more deadly as accuracy severely decreases while weapon reliability does as well. However keeping the ban of fully automatic weapons to civilians makes a lot of people feel better, so it would be hard to get that one changed.

Yes, I was indeed trying to force you to acknowledge the basic point that we're only arguing on where the line is drawn and not whether a government and society can legitimately decide to withhold certain weapons from ordinary citizens. Which means that you do agree with me that there should be some restrictions. Which means that your earlier personal attacks about my not having ANY points and just being a (paraphrased) fraidy cat who was kneejerk reacting on things should probably be taken back, yes? We're arguing on WHERE the line should be, not whether there should be one at all. For me, a LOGICAL place to draw the line should be: 1. What weapons can have legitimate other uses that outweigh the interests of society doing everything possible to make them unavailable? 2. For weapons that we DO want to make available, what would be some reasonable restrictions that would go a long ways towards keeping them out of the hands of loons? As an example (exaggerated to make my point clear): 1. No private citizen needs access to a nuclear warhead 2. Background checks at gun shows should be mandatory Just two very simple things that I think should be relatively non-controversial. One restricts the type of weaponry someone can acquire. The other is a REALLY loose regulation to try and make the smallest possible effort to keep unstable people from getting access to weapons they aren't mentally or emotionally equipped to have.
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Kamekazi_69
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]This will probably be a waste of time nocoolnamejim
I'm getting that impression.

I concur with you on that. how much of a waste of time is it when you have someone constantly telling others what, and if you can or can't have a certain weapon in your home for personal reasons, and being obligated to explain your reasons in owning that certain weapon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-5e9044657a310
[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"][QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"] Nothing needs to be banned or regulated. There's enough regulation already. Instead of being pushed by fear and giving into bans or regulation, we need to approach a source. I don't have a feasible answer for you, but it begins at home. Most of these mass shooters are medicated individuals. That's not to say anti-deppresents are to blame which Im not blaming, but we really have to understand how we as a society are masking problems when it comes to mental illness. if you are not a medicated walking corpse in school, then you are abnormal. Most kids show signs of mental distress but usually it goes ignored.

It relates to the topic in the form that we can't simply outlaw a weapon, a tool in order to ease the burden of violence within individuals. There's more to the problem and banning things will not change it, and it is a response out of fear, not rational thinking.

No is banning Guns. Guns will still be widely available. I'm a gun owner myself. I own over 10. But they are all Single Shot, Rifles, two Shotguns, and .22 pistol, and a revolver. And until I get married in three months, I live by myself, in my home, and my guns are all under Lock and Key. Except for the revolver which is in it's case, in a hiding place. If you think you need a SemiAutomitc Rifle with a 30 round Magazine to go Deer Hunting, then you are a dumbass. Plain and simple.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]And I could use my car to kill a large number of people. That doesn't mean cars should be banned ,since their main function, the reason for their existence is a non-lethal one. To put it slightly differently, the primary purpose of a car is to transport things and people, just as the primary purpose of a chef knife is to aid in the preparation of food. By contrast, the primary purpose of am assault rifle is to kill people. When looked at from that point of view, it makes a certain amount of sense to regulate the ownership of assault rifles should be more heavily regulated than the ownership of cars and chef knifes. Guns actually do kill people, a lot more often and a lot more effectively than either cars of kitchen knives. That's the whole point of certain types of guns, actually. To have both sides of the debate actually acknowledge that would be a good first step towards being able to actually have a debate.

I do not have any issue admitting that guns exist for the purpose of exterminating life in all its forms. However, you must acknowledge that a gun alone is not solely responsible for atrocities committed with one. It's a logical fallacy demonstrated in the terrifying mass stabbing I linked to earlier.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Actually, it is. A chef knife was used for something that was outside of it's intended purpose. I have a salt shaker on my desk right now. Technically, I can find a way to kill someone with it. Just like a chef knife can be deadly. But with a semi-automatic rifle? Killing lots of people as quickly as you can IS IT'S PURPOSE. You don't filet a fish with a semi-auto rifle. There's a reason why a chef needs a chef knife. There's no reason why he needs a gun whose only real purpose is to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Military need those things. Police need those things. My next door neighbor doesn't.

The purpose of a knife is to cut things, to better slice through materials. There are combat knives that don't differ much from an 8" chef knife. Should we ban the purchase of knives intended for things other than cooking? What about camping knives that include serrated edges?

You don't see any difference in the degree of deadliness between a combat knife and a gun with a 50 round magazine? You don't see any difference in their likelihood to be used in a massacre? You presented one case earlier where someone, somehow, managed to kill 20 some odd people with a knife. If it was something that people could do easily, then deadlier weapons wouldn't have been invented. Again, same comment back to you as to Casey. You already agree with the basic point that there IS a line on which weapons ordinary people shouldn't have access to. You just disagree on where the line should be.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]That's not addressing the heart of the issue, however, which is that an 8" chef knife could be used to stab dozens of people in a single incident, regardless of other perceived uses. ChiliDragon
And I could use my car to kill a large number of people. That doesn't mean cars should be banned ,since their main function, the reason for their existence is a non-lethal one. To put it slightly differently, the primary purpose of a car is to transport things and people, just as the primary purpose of a chef knife is to aid in the preparation of food. By contrast, the primary purpose of am assault rifle is to kill people. When looked at from that point of view, it makes a certain amount of sense to regulate the ownership of assault rifles should be more heavily regulated than the ownership of cars and chef knifes. Guns actually do kill people, a lot more often and a lot more effectively than either cars of kitchen knives. That's the whole point of certain types of guns, actually. To have both sides of the debate actually acknowledge that would be a good first step towards being able to actually have a debate.

And assault rifles are already banned. If you're arguing that the primary purpose of a semi-automatic rifle is to kill people, then I'd disagree. Very few of the semi-automatic rifles in the USA have ever been used to kill anyone, very few owners use those guns to kill anyone. The vast majority of those weapons are used in non-lethal ways (or at least, nonlethal to humans). Most of those weapons are purchased for the purpose of hunting, collecting, or recreation. Even the ones purchased primarily for self defense (which conceivably would end up in someone getting shot) never get used for their intended purpose. And that wouldn't be a bad thing anyway, since there's nothing inherently wrong or illegal about killing someone in self-defense.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
If we could move on from mass shootings to mass stabbings that would actually be a marginal improvement.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]And I could use my car to kill a large number of people. That doesn't mean cars should be banned ,since their main function, the reason for their existence is a non-lethal one. To put it slightly differently, the primary purpose of a car is to transport things and people, just as the primary purpose of a chef knife is to aid in the preparation of food. By contrast, the primary purpose of am assault rifle is to kill people. When looked at from that point of view, it makes a certain amount of sense to regulate the ownership of assault rifles should be more heavily regulated than the ownership of cars and chef knifes. Guns actually do kill people, a lot more often and a lot more effectively than either cars of kitchen knives. That's the whole point of certain types of guns, actually. To have both sides of the debate actually acknowledge that would be a good first step towards being able to actually have a debate.

I do not have any issue admitting that guns exist for the purpose of exterminating life in all its forms. However, you must acknowledge that a gun alone is not solely responsible for atrocities committed with one. It's a logical fallacy demonstrated in the terrifying mass stabbing I linked to earlier.

I agree with the point that a gun is not SOLELY responsible. However, certain types of guns make it FAR EASIER for massacres to be done and FAR LESS LIKELY that someone can be stopped before they kill a few dozen people. And I'd add that if there is no really reasonable purpose for having certain weapons OTHER THAN causing a massacre, then maybe those weapons don't need to be available to the general populace.
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Ban the guns that commit 3% of gun crimes. Yes that will solve it!

By the way, Columbine happened during the assault rifle ban. This is just pointless and utilizing something that could have been committed by any firearm as a way to push a pointless agenda that won't change a thing.

nocoolnamejim
I think the logic is more along the lines of there not being any legitimate reasons for regular citizens to have assault rifles, so it's a good place to start that makes a lot of sense to a lot of people. Sure, they commit a small percentage of the overall gun crimes, but they tend to be the ones used most often in massacre type crimes where someone snaps and shoots up a school or what not. As soon as someone can come up with a legitimate reason why my next door neighbor would really need an AK-47 that doesn't involve a crazy paranoid fantasy about future government tyranny I may reconsider my viewpoint.

except for the fact that government tyranny is the main reason the 2nd amendment is there in the first place, so you really dont need any other reasons...
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I understand that completely, but I also don't think the government are the only ones who should be able to own and operate them. Heck, public opinion polls put the approval of our government at almost record lows. Why would I possibly trust these same people who we don't approve to be the only ones with all of the guns?Wasdie
Because they will always outnumber you amd have bigger guns, no matter what you do? They do have more money, you know. See, here is the problem with what you just said: By stating that citizens need the right to carry military-type weapons in order to protect themselves from government abuse, you've outright admitted that having these guns and using them is the only thing that can save us from turning into a fascist police state. Not voting for a candidate less likely to take your civil rights away, not volunteering or donating to political campaigns you believe in. By your logic, or at the very least from the way you present your argument, you actually genuinely believe that an armed uprising is the only solution to society's problems. And you wonder why some of us find that kind of reasoning a little hard to stomache?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I better buy a Tommy Gun now before the price goes up.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Wasdie  Moderator

lots of stuffnocoolnamejim

I'm not going to bother arguing with you because you're really pushing to ban weapons that you feel are too deadly.