No solution on global warming..?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SenorGuapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SenorGuapo
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

There is:

- Largescale reforestation

- Developing and consuming renewable and clean energy (solar, wind etc.)

- Electric cars

If every country that could, did a little of those three things global warming would be ****slapped hard.

So why cant they get an agreement? Do people still think its not real?

Or are we as a race just planning to see how far we can take mother earth before she turns in to Venus?

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Global warming is a myth. I would just like to know who stands to make billions on this deal, so it can be exposed for the fraud it is.

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

Global warming is a myth. I would just like to know who stands to make billions on this deal, so it can be exposed for the fraud it is.

RossRichard

What are you talking about man? Global warming is just as real as manbearpig. You have been warned.

ItsMyTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ItsMyTime
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

RossRichard
Global warming is real...God. Not every single thing is a conspiracy or fraud for money.
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts

The only way to stop global warming is obviously to cancel it out with Nuclear Winter! duh!

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

most people in this generation won't be around to actually feel the affects of global warming. For example they say in 2100, polar bears will go extinct and coral reefs will be gone, but who will live to 2100, even if you do you'll be 90+. The generation that lives through the poor extinct polar bears and coral reefs will face something else such as in 2300, islands will be underwater and so on. I know it's not the same but it's a little similiar saying hey the sun will die in a billion years and yes this is based on science. Most people, not all, but most if not half of the world's population are shallow so it's like "hey live now who cares about the future".

Avatar image for Elephant_Couple
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Elephant_Couple
Member since 2010 • 1404 Posts

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

hedden93

What are you talking about man? Global warming is just as real as manbearpig. You have been warned.

It's a thuper thereal problem!

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RossRichard

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

ItsMyTime

Global warming is real...God. Not every single thing is a conspiracy or fraud for money.

You have proof that its real? Global warming is one of those things that can be BSed to explain just about any weather phenomena. The fact is the planet goes through cycles. Things like circulating water currents can affect temperatures across the globe.

Think Im stupid? Look up some of the hottest temperatures on record in the United States. You will find a lot of them came in the late 1930s. Look up the details on the Viking invasion of Europe. This was because the usually-frozen waters around the region thawed because of unusually warm temperatures.

SenorGuapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SenorGuapo

[QUOTE="ItsMyTime"][QUOTE="RossRichard"]

RossRichard

You have proof that its real? Global warming is one of those things that can be BSed to explain just about any weather phenomena. The fact is the planet goes through cycles. Things like circulating water currents can affect temperatures across the globe.

Think Im stupid? Look up some of the hottest temperatures on record in the United States. You will find a lot of them came in the late 1930s. Look up the details on the Viking invasion of Europe. This was because the usually-frozen waters around the region thawed because of unusually warm temperatures.

The earth also goes through a cycle of ice ages, they dont come out of nothing. Or ice ages are a myth too i guess.......?
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

RossRichard

Please do tell how you have shown that the majority of scientific evidence is wrong with fact based scientific evidence rather than anecdotal cherry picked evidence.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RossRichard

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

[QUOTE="ItsMyTime"] Global warming is real...God. Not every single thing is a conspiracy or fraud for money.SenorGuapo

The earth also goes through a cycle of ice ages, they dont come out of nothing. Or ice ages are a myth too i guess.......?

I know that was an attempt at ownage, but you just helped to prove my point. Good job.

SenorGuapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SenorGuapo

[QUOTE="SenorGuapo"][QUOTE="RossRichard"]

RossRichard

I know that was an attempt at ownage, but you just helped to prove my point. Good job.

How did i prove your point?
ItsMyTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ItsMyTime
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

1. It's impossible to disprove something. Enough said. You can't prove to me that global warming is not existent. It's like trying to prove pink elephants don't exist. Have you searched every nm of land for pink elephants? Same idea with Global warming. It's impossible to disprove it. 2. Did I call you stupid. Did I refer to you as stupid. Thats what I thought. 3. Looking at a chart on Wikipedia, some of the hottest temperatures actually have come from the 21st century, and are spread across a 100 year span. There are actually not a lot that came from the late 1930's to be honest. There is probably a small majority, but that really isn't a lot. 4. Your honestly picking out some Viking/Europe war as evidence to support your theory, while there is insane amounts of money put in to scientific research showing how global warming is real? Please. Explain.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RossRichard

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

[QUOTE="SenorGuapo"] The earth also goes through a cycle of ice ages, they dont come out of nothing. Or ice ages are a myth too i guess.......?SenorGuapo

Simple, weather patterns are usually caused by natural phenomena. Most ice ages and global warming trends on record occurred before industrialzation.

SenorGuapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SenorGuapo

RossRichard

Simple, weather patterns are usually caused by natural phenomena. Most ice ages and global warming trends on record occurred before industrialzation.

True, like super volcanoes blasting off tons of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, or asteroids hitting the earth maybe covering the earth with a cloud of co2.....Much as we've been doing for the past century or so.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RossRichard

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

[QUOTE="ItsMyTime"] Global warming is real...God. Not every single thing is a conspiracy or fraud for money.ItsMyTime

1. It's impossible to disprove something. Enough said. You can't prove to me that global warming is not existent. It's like trying to prove pink elephants don't exist. Have you searched every nm of land for pink elephants? Same idea with Global warming. It's impossible to disprove it. Exactly. Its impossible to prove it also.

2. Did I call you stupid. Did I refer to you as stupid. Thats what I thought. Fair enough.

3. Looking at a chart on Wikipedia, some of the hottest temperatures actually have come from the 21st century, and are spread across a 100 year span. There are actually not a lot that came from the late 1930's to be honest. There is probably a small majority, but that really isn't a lot. Ill make it easy for you. HTTP:/www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001416.html I can pull up more if you wish.

4. Your honestly picking out some Viking/Europe war as evidence to support your theory, while there is insane amounts of money put in to scientific research showing how global warming is real? Please. Explain. Scientists work for the government. The government is pushing hard for 'evidence' of global warming, because some politicians brother in law is selling windmills, for example. Government goes to scientists saying they need this evidence. Scientists want funds to keep coming. Simple thing that has been going on for thousands in years in business across all cultures. The fact is a lot of scientists say some type of warming is happening and may do some kind of harm, but they almost always dispute the danger it presents. Big deal, warming and cooling has been going on since this planet was created, well before industrialization.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RossRichard

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

[QUOTE="SenorGuapo"] How did i prove your point?SenorGuapo

True, like super volcanoes blasting off tons of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, or asteroids hitting the earth maybe covering the earth with a cloud of co2.....Much as we've been doing for the past century or so.

Actually, the danger about the volcano is the ash being blasted in the atmosphere blocking the sun, like what happened with Mount Saint Helens. And the deal with the asteroid was the dirt being blasted in the atmosphere. But more subtle things can cause climate shifts as well, like ocean currents and jet streams.

Fizz111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Fizz111
Member since 2006 • 795 Posts

There is:

- Largescale reforestation

- Developing and consuming renewable and clean energy (solar, wind etc.)

- Electric cars

If every country that could, did a little of those three things global warming would be b*tchslapped hard.

So why cant they get an agreement? Do people still think its not real?

Or are we as a race just planning to see how far we can take mother earth before she turns in to Venus?

SenorGuapo

Because there is no global warming, the earth naturally warms up a little every so often.

SenorGuapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SenorGuapo

RossRichard

Actually, the danger about the volcano is the ash being blasted in the atmosphere blocking the sun, like what happened with Mount Saint Helens. And the deal with the asteroid was the dirt being blasted in the atmosphere. But more subtle things can cause climate shifts as well, like ocean currents and jet streams.

Definitely, there's actually a large ocean current that goes through the pacific and atlantic ocean. That current makes it possible to have a summer in england and washington. The same current that scientists say will stop if it gets heated too much. Our co2 gets trapped in the atmosphere, and wont cause immediate ice age for not blocking the sun. It will actually turn the earth more like an oven, and heat it up. Until it gets in a chain reaction, because there's only so much amount of carbon dioxide that must contain in the air for plants and trees to take in the co2 and provide oxygen. Then all the flora will instead of produce oxygen, produce co2. That's when the snowballeffect kicks in, and basically on that point, it' ll be hard to stop the warming and the warming of that ocean current that ensures that there's not a mile high pack of ice all the way to texas.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RossRichard

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

[QUOTE="SenorGuapo"] True, like super volcanoes blasting off tons of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, or asteroids hitting the earth maybe covering the earth with a cloud of co2.....Much as we've been doing for the past century or so.SenorGuapo

Definitely, there's actually a large ocean current that goes through the pacific and atlantic ocean. That current makes it possible to have a summer in england and washington. The same current that scientists say will stop if it gets heated too much. Our co2 gets trapped in the atmosphere, and wont cause immediate ice age for not blocking the sun. It will actually turn the earth more like an oven, and heat it up. Until it gets in a chain reaction, because there's only so much amount of carbon dioxide that must contain in the air for plants and trees to take in the co2 and provide oxygen. Then all the flora will instead of produce oxygen, produce co2. That's when the snowballeffect kicks in, and basically on that point, it' ll be hard to stop the warming and the warming of that ocean current that ensures that there's not a mile high pack of ice all the way to texas.

Cant prove it, cant disprove it. Speculation doesnt make for good arguments, you need facts. Like what I presented.

Chrypt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Chrypt22
Member since 2005 • 1387 Posts

It doesnt matter on what side of the fence you are on there are cleaner ways for us to do things. I am more for letting the market dictate technology rather than government imposed taxes and penalties.

If the government wants to get involved proactively they should offer big incentives to companies that implement clean technology and reduce pollution on their own. If that was the case it would promote job growth and technology and infastructure so we can have better cheaper solutions.

Instead the government wants to penalize everyone, tax everything and can give two craps what happens to the economy...There isonly regressivethinking in this government, not progressive, and I am extremely dissapointed in this president so far and even more so with congress.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

there is a solution in action at the moment.

it is cyclical and taking care of itself.

you have to realize that what is happening is changing climate NOT climate change.

It is an ongoing and has been happening to the world since creation when the big bang started the whole shebang.

there was changing climate before there was mankind and there will be changing climate after mankind is no longer around to pester the world anymore.

Who will you blame when there are no more people and who was responsible before there were people?

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

Well if global warming is real then why is there snow in my backyard? Snow wouldn't exist on a warm globe. Conspiracy theory I think so!

SenorGuapo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SenorGuapo

RossRichard

Cant prove it, cant disprove it. Speculation doesnt make for good arguments, you need facts. Like what I presented.

What do you mean? Those are all facts
Omzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Omzzz
Member since 2010 • 1440 Posts
RossRichard ownz
RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

It's pretty difficult to chalk up global warming as being an entirely natural phenomena. As far as scientists can tell, the Earth very rarely has ever warmed up as quickly as it is at the moment (with the exception of the extreme influences like super volcanism and the like).

Current levels of green house gasses haven't been seen on the planet in the past 700,000 years. And the number is only 700,000 because that's as far as ice core samples can be reliably measured. Other methods of measurement suggest that the last time the atmosphere contained as much carbon dioxide as it currently does was about 20 million years ago. The thing is, the drastic increase has more or less occurred in the last few hundred years.

There is no scientific academy in the world that denies global warming. There really aren't any who suggest that it's a completely natural process either. The question amongst scientists is how much of it is human influence (the concensus seems to be likely a lot).

The public debates about whether or not global warming is real, and the scientists debate about the best ways to prevent or reverse its effects.

I think it's kind of ridiculous to assume that 7 billion people cannot drastically affect a planets atmosphere.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

RossRichard

Yes. The greenhouse effect is a fact. Various gasses in the atmosphere absorb and either re-radiate that energy in a random direction or use it for kinetic energy for velocity in collisions with other particles which generates heat. This warms the atmosphere. CO2 is one of those gasses. When a radiative wavelength hits it at a certain frequency the bonds vibrate. Stating that the planet goes through cycles is a fact but it has absolutely nothing to do with man emitting greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere and speeding up the process of warming. That is a red herring argument.

Oscillations do effect temperature over the globe, such as the El Nino southern oscillation and the arctic oscillation to name justa couple. However this does not take away from the fact that we are adding more greenhouse gasses, specifically CO2 into our atmosphere. Since the industrial revolution began the CO2 concentration of the atmosphere has risen from 280ppm to 370ppm. Anyone who states that Al Gore is behind it and it's a mass conspiracy by scientists to make Al Gore rich has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. And if some people bent the data to make it seem more like it was worse than it is, which they have been exonnerated from, that still does in no way take away from the chemistry and physics facts of the process.

And a reminder, the United States is nto the world. Actually the US composes a mere 1.6% of the world. The warmest date in the united states is indeed 1934. However that is because the jet stream changed course southward bringing 8 years of dryness into central USA. It is known as the dust bowl. It does not in any way falsify global warming.

compost-mentis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 compost-mentis
Member since 2009 • 631 Posts

...all the more reason to abandon Capitalism and adopt Post-Marxist Socialism. As long as greed and self is the name of the game, our planet will never get better.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BumFluff122

Here is a post I made on my forum concerngin the year 1934.

NASA made an error! 1934 is now the warmest year on record!

This claim comes about because on August 4, 2007 when a blogger on the RealClimate.org website sent an email to NASA asserting that after 1999 the data was not being adjusted for time of day readings. This coincided with a switch in two sources of US temperature data. "The net effect of the change was to reduce mean U.S. anomalies by about 0.15 degrees Celsius for the years 2000-2006", said NASA climate modeler Gavin Schmidt.

"A minor data processing error found in the GISS temperature analysis in early 2007 does not affect the present analysis. The data processing flaw was failure to apply NOAA adjustments to United States Historical Climatology Network stations in 2000-2006, as the records for those years were taken from a different data base (Global Historical Climatology Network). This flaw affected only 1.6% of the Earth's surface (contiguous 48 states) and only the several years in the 21st century.

The data processing flaw did not alter the ordering of the warmest years on record and the global ranks were unaffected. In the contiguous 48 states, the statistical tie among 1934, 1998 and 2005 as the warmest year(s) was unchanged. In the current analysis, in the flawed analysis, and in the published GISS analysis, 1934 is the warmest year in the contiguous states (but not globally) by an amount (magnitude of the order of 0.01°C) that is an order of magnitude smaller than the certainty."

The above couple paragraphs appears on this page at the bottom of the article. Note that many denialist websites also claim that the temperature data was specifically for the US yet they go on to claim the entire world average was affected significantly.

The drought of the 1930s was known as the 'dust bowl' which lasted from 1931 to 1939 and merely added another problem on top of what was already a recession at the time. The dust bowl was most likely caused by cooler tropical Pacific Ocean temperatures combined with warmer tropical Atlantic Ocean temperatures which forced the jetstream to take a more southerly route across northern Mexico not allowing those high pressure systems associated with it to reach the center of the United States and small parts of Canada.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2004/0319dustbowl.html

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Bill O'Reilly said that global warming is fake and therefore it's fake. As I understand it he works nights as a physics researcher. In fact, he is publishing a paper soon that illustrates using his own math (as opposed to college-taught math, which of course has a liberal bias) that so-called "greenhouse" gases do not trap heat but actually convert it directly into beef jerky.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

RossRichard
The world can make billions. The savings will be immense. But who would want that? :roll: Stop opposing it for the sake of it. It would reduce our dependence on foreign oil (Republicans, that means better security), decrease pollution (lowering health costs), and make care more efficient and cheaper to run. Where's the downside?
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="RossRichard"]

Bourbons3

The world can make billions. The savings will be immense. But who would want that? :roll: Stop opposing it for the sake of it. It would reduce our dependence on foreign oil (Republicans, that means better security), decrease pollution (lowering health costs), and make care more efficient and cheaper to run. Where's the downside?

The downside is the oil companies won't be putting out propoganda and paying off specific media corps to state that global warming is a fraud and I will have no one to debate with and laugh at. I'll have to go back to arguing with creationists :(

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="RossRichard"]

BumFluff122

The downside is the oil companies won't be putting out propoganda and paying off specific media corps to state that global warming is a fraud and I will have no one to debate with and laugh at. I'll have to go back to arguing with creationists :(

But there are plenty of creationists! Not to mention the Flat Earthers. You'll have lots to do. :o
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

SOLUTION : THERE IS NO GLOBAL WARMING....

dont be stupid. :)

Let's TAX my farts to lower the emission of Co2 ! wtf. ? and government gets money from it...

Mr. President go f.. self.. ;)

EDIT:
And btw. the global warming... its...
Like "FIGHT WITH TERRORISM" ... wth???

Haaa ha! ... they fight with those ppl (from iraq) to get some petroleum/crude oil... -.-

American soldiers learnt those ppl how to fight and now they fight with them... ; |

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

Global warming is about the only threat which is going to make nuclear power seem attractively "safe" to developed nations.

I'm betting that the hunt for clean alternative energy sources is going to lead the hippy community right back to atomic energy, which they had opposed so vehemently since even before the Chernobyl disaster (happy 25th anniversary, next year).

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

RossRichard
you act that the global warming deniers aren't funded by corps making billions.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RossRichard

We can run in circles all day on this subject. The greenhouse effect and global warming are educated guesses and can no more be proven than chicken little flapping his wings screaming the sky is falling. For every statement that one of you cites a theory that the earth is getting warmer from CO2 or meteors falling, I can pull up something from the past with an unusual warming or cooling trend that happened because of jet streams or ocean currents, that had absolutely nothing to do with greenhouse gases. So on that note, I am done on this subject. Have fun.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BumFluff122

We can run in circles all day on this subject. The greenhouse effect and global warming are educated guesses and can no more be proven than chicken little flapping his wings screaming the sky is falling. For every statement that one of you cites a theory that the earth is getting warmer from CO2 or meteors falling, I can pull up something from the past with an unusual warming or cooling trend that happened because of jet streams or ocean currents, that had absolutely nothing to do with greenhouse gases. So on that note, I am done on this subject. Have fun.

RossRichard

Please explain to me how warming of the past has anything to do with climate change as a result of man's emission of CO2 into the air. No scientist has ever claimed that other factors do not contribute to Earths natural cooling and warming cycle. Greenhouse gasses act as a multiplier. Would Earth be warming up naturally currently if man-made CO2 emissions were not being pumped into the atmosphere? I don't know. But man-made emissions certainly do play a process in speeding it up. As stated before, this is a fallacious argument known as a red herring. You are tyring to disprove something by showing something completely different is true that really has nothign to do with the thing you are trying to disprove.

When methane(CH4), a colourless odorless gas formed by the decomposition of plant and animal matter, is burned in an engine combustion, or rapid oxidization, occurs forming carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (2H2O). Other fossil fuels, which are hydrocarbon based, have similar makeups and chemistry. The greenhouse effect occurs because some of the gases in the atmosphere, including both CO2 and water vapour, are able to absorb infrared radiation. While the energy the Earth receives from the Sun is mostly in the short (Ultraviolet) wavelength the energy that is re-emitted by the Earth's surface back out into space is in the long (Infrared) wavelength due to the temperature of the Earth's surface. Oxygen and nitrogen, the major gases in the atmosphere, do not have the ability to absorb IR radiation. However when infrared radiation strikes a molecule such as carbon dioxide it causes the bonds to bend and vibrate, known as the absorption of IR energy, and gain kinetic energy which it transfers to other molecules. The greater the concentration of these greenhouse gases that are in the atmosphere the greater this effect will be and the warmer the planet will become.

http://www.kcvs.ca/site/projects/common_files/IR_Spectrum/IR_spec5.swf

A link to a flash file dealing with greenhouse gasses (including water vapour) and radiative wavelength absorption.

It is well known that water vapour is the most dominant greenhouse gas in the atmosphere. The level of water vapour in the atmosphere is a function of temperature. This means that the more you increase the temperature of a given area the more evaporation will take place in that area and the greater amount of water vapour that area will be able to hold. This would result in rising temperatures which would increase commulatively until some other external force acts upon it. When other greenhouse gasses are added to the equation it amplifies this effect by increasing the transfer of heat.

Greenhouse gas absorption occurs in multiple levels of the atmosphere. It is not only limited to one layer. As the radiation re-emitted by the Earth's surface moves up layer by layer through the atmosphere some is stopped in each layer until eventually the energy reaches a layer so thin the radiation can escape into space unimpeded. When stopped, the molecule may radiate the energy back out into a random direction or it may transfer this energy into velocity in collisions with other air molecules, as explained above. As you add more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere and saturate the lower levels with greenhouse gases the mean radiating level of the planet will be set to higher altitudes. Approximately 99.13% of water vapour exists in the troposphere while CO2 can exist throughout the atmosphere.

A Saturated Gassy Argument
Increased Concentration and Vertical Distribution of Carbon Dioxide in the Stratosphere

Also, perhaps you should look up the Eocene-Paleocene Thermal Maximum, a period in history with climate change as a result of methane, another greenhouse gas, being pumped into the atmosphere by natural means. As a result of the approximately 6 degree temp increase throughout the world there was a mass extinction event.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 htekemerald

We can run in circles all day on this subject. The greenhouse effect can no more be proven...

RossRichard

Someone in their first year of high school could prove the green house effect...

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts
Oh no! We are all going to die a horrible death from "global warming"!
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BumFluff122

Oh no! We are all going to die a horrible death from "global warming"!CHOASXIII
Humanity is a robust species. No one has said we are all going to die as a result of increased global warming. What they have said is that many species sensitive to climate change are going to become extinct because of it though. One of those species are corals, one of the lowest links on the food chain. Worldwide coral bleaching has already been occurring durign El Nino years as a result of warmer ocean waters that put stress on the corals, they turn a bleachy white colour and possibly die as a result. Lucky for us they are a resillient species and repopulate during La Nina years. However, the global average for these oscillations is increasing. The corals won't be able to repopulate as much due to warmth induced stress and thei population will decline. It is estimated that 1 out of ever 4 species in the oceans use coral reefs at least at some point during their lives. These species will be effected. Some may become extinct who depend on these reefs for survival.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]Oh no! We are all going to die a horrible death from "global warming"!BumFluff122

Humanity is a robust species. No one has said we are all going to die as a result of increased global warming. What they have said is that many species sensitive to climate change are going to become extinct because of it though. One of those species are corals, one of the lowest links on the food chain. Worldwide coral bleaching has already been occurring durign El Nino years as a result of warmer ocean waters that put stress on the corals, they turn a bleachy white colour and possibly die as a result. Lucky for us they are a resillient species and repopulate during La Nina years. However, the global average for these oscillations is increasing. The corals won't be able to repopulate as much due to warmth induced stress and thei population will decline. It is estimated that 1 out of ever 4 species in the oceans use coral reefs at least at some point during their lives. These species will be effected. Some may become extinct who depend on these reefs for survival.

Okay....umm nice story?
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]Oh no! We are all going to die a horrible death from "global warming"!CHOASXIII

Okay....umm nice story?

Thanks. Humanities extinction is one of the basic argumentative points from deniers so I thought I'd explain why it was false.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 htekemerald

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]Oh no! We are all going to die a horrible death from "global warming"!CHOASXIII

Okay....umm nice story?

There's a good chance most fish stocks will suffer or collapse without corals, which would you know only decimate the global food supply. No big deal right?

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

1. it's not global warming it's global climate change.

2. nobody knows why it's happening. Saying it's caused by co2 output is about as logical as saying god is mad at us for using condoms (the science doesn't add up, it's just a correlation).

3. deforestation doesn't exist anymore. Most lands suitable for reforestation are farmlands so it's either starve, or have trees.

4. Most alternative forms of energy are not possible on a large scale. Solar panels require elements that are not easy to manufacture, and consist of elements that are not exactly common. Wind power generators need to be manufactured, and have a low rate of return. Combined w/ high maintenance it's quiet common for them to never return the investment on an ecological level.

5. Most electric cars use a lithium ion battery. This means you're car is likely to loose 20% of it's battery capacity every year which means you'll need to buy a new lithium ion battery every few years. Not only is that bad for the environment, but it's bad for your wallet also.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#48 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

It's pretty difficult to chalk up global warming as being an entirely natural phenomena. As far as scientists can tell, the Earth very rarely has ever warmed up as quickly as it is at the moment (with the exception of the extreme influences like super volcanism and the like).

Current levels of green house gasses haven't been seen on the planet in the past 700,000 years. And the number is only 700,000 because that's as far as ice core samples can be reliably measured. Other methods of measurement suggest that the last time the atmosphere contained as much carbon dioxide as it currently does was about 20 million years ago. The thing is, the drastic increase has more or less occurred in the last few hundred years.

There is no scientific academy in the world that denies global warming. There really aren't any who suggest that it's a completely natural process either. The question amongst scientists is how much of it is human influence (the concensus seems to be likely a lot).

The public debates about whether or not global warming is real, and the scientists debate about the best ways to prevent or reverse its effects.

I think it's kind of ridiculous to assume that 7 billion people cannot drastically affect a planets atmosphere.

RearNakedChoke
why do you think people can have an effect? there was changing climate before there were people and there will be changing climate after people are gone. some people refer to that changing climate as climate change but that does not mean they have any more effect on it than through words:P in the future they will read Al Gore's ridiculous book and see his ******* movie packed with fallacy and have a laugh that any one fell for that fraud.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

If you believe in man-made climate change, I'm not going to stop you from living any way you want. Please extend the same courtesy to me.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BumFluff122

1. it's not global warming it's global climate change.

2. nobody knows why it's happening. Saying it's caused by co2 output is about as logical as saying god is mad at us for using condoms (the science doesn't add up, it's just a correlation).

3. deforestation doesn't exist anymore. Most lands suitable for reforestation are farmlands so it's either starve, or have trees.

4. Most alternative forms of energy are not possible on a large scale. Solar panels require elements that are not easy to manufacture, and consist of elements that are not exactly common. Wind power generators need to be manufactured, and have a low rate of return. Combined w/ high maintenance it's quiet common for them to never return the investment on an ecological level.

5. Most electric cars use a lithium ion battery. This means you're car is likely to loose 20% of it's battery capacity every year which means you'll need to buy a new lithium ion battery every few years. Not only is that bad for the environment, but it's bad for your wallet also.

jrhawk42

I've posted the reasons why CO2 alters the atmosphere when it is emitted into it as vapour. These are facts. Short wave radiation hits the Earths surface and is re-emitted by the surface at a longer bandwidth due to it's temperature. CO2 absorbs some of this radiation. This causes feedback in such things as evaporation so other greenhouse gasses enter the atmosphere increasing the effect. How is it illogical, based on this factual evidence. to state that climate change is not occuring or that we have something to do with it? I'm also curious as to where exactly you think deforestation does not occur. On a large scale there are nuclear power plants, which is a green form of energy despite what others say, wind farms, many of which are being built right now a coupel are even in my province, wave energy which is projected in the UK to produce about 50-90TW of electricity, tidal energy, geothermal energy which is currently in use by more than 70 countries, some of which get as much as 15% of their total electricity production via this method, and even solar energy where the worlds largest solar energy production plant is in California and produces 354MW of energy. A single modern wind turbine can meet the needs of 500 homes. The world's largest wind farm is in Texas and contributes 735MW of electricity. "...never return the investment on an ecological level" I'm curious where you got that from though. And the newest Lithium Ion battery is going to be leased from the manufacturer, you aren't going to buy them.