MSNBC: Marijuana stops the spread of cancer and tumor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-theCHUD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -theCHUD-
Member since 2008 • 1648 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oPaSnjHawo&feature=rec-fresh

What do you guys say about this. I know there's a lot of haters so I want to know what you guys say about this, or rather, what's your spin on this?

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I've read similar studies. Good stuff.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
NO it's all lies. Smoking reefer will turn you into a commie.
Avatar image for Etheral_Filcher
Etheral_Filcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Etheral_Filcher
Member since 2005 • 4457 Posts
I don't care if one hit of marijuana killed the smoker, it should be legal.
matt_25568

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 matt_25568
Member since 2006 • 1306 Posts

Is there anything this plant can't do?

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
NO it's all lies. Smoking reefer will turn you into a commie. Frattracide
I have heard of this also...i'm torn on which i shoudl believe.
AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts
[QUOTE="Frattracide"]NO it's all lies. Smoking reefer will turn you into a commie. N8A
I have heard of this also...i'm torn on which i shoudl believe.

It's a conspiracy ! The goverment does't want us to smoke it because it would kill the health care industry ! :lol:
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts

I've heard that THC found in marijuana kills aging cells that can turn into cancer cells, but THC has side effects. I've never heard of this "cannabadial" or whatever he called it... interesting, could give further explanation to why pot doesn't give you lung cancer.

And I hope you realize that if it's gonna be used as a medicine, they'll extract it from the rest of the compound first... don't expect to see cancer patients smoking pot in the open any time soon.

Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts

matt_25568

Make Disaster Movie look funny?
jakecufc8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jakecufc8888
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

I've heard that THC found in marijuana kills aging cells that can turn into cancer cells, but THC has side effects. I've never heard of this "cannabadial" or whatever he called it... interesting, could give further explanation to why pot doesn't give you lung cancer.

And I hope you realize that if it's gonna be used as a medicine, they'll extract it from the rest of the compound first... don't expect to see cancer patients smoking pot in the open any time soon.

Hungry_bunny
Well they sorta already do in states that allow medical marijuana, though many users utilize other methods, such as vaporization.
AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts
[QUOTE="matt_25568"]

Rockclmbr6

No but presumably it can burn down the theatre therefore saving your life since you didn't watch it.

YoungGun13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 YoungGun13
Member since 2006 • 2581 Posts
who would ever thought weed can stop cancer and tumors
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
[QUOTE="Rockclmbr6"][QUOTE="matt_25568"]

AtrumRegina

No but presumably it can burn down the theatre therefore saving your life since you didn't watch it.

Well thank God for that :P
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Ok, There is a reason you can get Marijuana pills?
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

No, no, reefer madness!

Quick, make like Bert the Turtle and duck and cover!

drj077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drj077
Member since 2003 • 8375 Posts

There have never been large enough studies to demonstrate that marijuana and THC have any beneficial or any harmful effects. The largest studies that I've seen have been done retrospectively for lung cancer. The studies involved individuals that have smoked tobacco and marijuana with the studies being controlled for the confounding tobacco variable. However you look at it, smoking marijuana increases your relative risk of developing lung cancer. But, those same studies have enormous confidence intervals and there are likely numerous other confounding variables.

The worst possible thing that a person can do is smoke or even barely inhale marijuana into your lungs if the substance is not filtered and pure. Your risk of developing lung cancer is probably higher for those instances that it is for smoking simple cigarettes.

Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case-control study. is a recent journal publication that has some interesting conclusions.

Also, I highly doubt that you get enough THC from smoking marijuana to get any of the anti-cancer benefits of the substance.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
thats nice. i think it should be legal, but it can cause cancer but tobacco can also do that...
Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts

Hungry_bunny

They already do that in California, instead of buying the plant to smoke many people opt for food with it baked in or THC pills that only contain the active ingredients.
ChowsSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 ChowsSN
Member since 2004 • 10399 Posts
Old news, they're still doing studies on it. It's interesting news and it really makes you wonder what the government was thinking when they made marijuana illegal.
CreamBeav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CreamBeav
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
This is weird- everyone I have ever known who was a former pothead for years who quit either because they were incarcerated or quit through a substance abuse program either has cancer, died from it, or lived through it in some form or other.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
if it helps thats great
megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 megahaloman64
Member since 2006 • 2532 Posts
it should be legal, its much safer than tobacco.
plague32390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 plague32390
Member since 2003 • 1765 Posts
Legalize it. Serously people die more from lung cancer caused from smoking cigs and drinking and driving and/or alcohol poisoning. In fact, I have never heard of anyone dying from O.D.'ing on too much pot.
Truth_Seekr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Truth_Seekr
Member since 2007 • 4214 Posts

Ok, There is a reason you can get Marijuana pills?ferrari2001

You mean Marinol?

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 megahaloman64
Member since 2006 • 2532 Posts

Legalize it. Serously people die more from lung cancer caused from smoking cigs and drinking and driving and/or alcohol poisoning. In fact, I have never heard of anyone dying from O.D.'ing on too much pot.plague32390

I heard you could only od from it if you take a really big ****load of it at once, and who would do that?

Silvarach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silvarach
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts
Old as hell. Marijuana has been prescribed for cancer patients for years.
plague32390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 plague32390

[QUOTE="plague32390"]Legalize it. Serously people die more from lung cancer caused from smoking cigs and drinking and driving and/or alcohol poisoning. In fact, I have never heard of anyone dying from O.D.'ing on too much pot.megahaloman64

I heard you could only od from it if you take a really big ****load of it at once, and who would do that?

Yeah, its like 10 times your body weight.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="plague32390"]Legalize it. Serously people die more from lung cancer caused from smoking cigs and drinking and driving and/or alcohol poisoning. In fact, I have never heard of anyone dying from O.D.'ing on too much pot.megahaloman64

I don't remember how much it was, but it was some insane amount that's pretty much impossible to actually do.

I've decided I'm going to do an expirement a little later in my life. I'm going to not smoke pot for a month, then go to do the doctor and see how healthy I am. Then for another month, I'm going to smoke every day, smoking the same amount of the same quality each day, then see how healthy I am.
Of course I will consider factors such as what food I eat.

plague32390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 plague32390
[QUOTE="megahaloman64"]

[QUOTE="plague32390"]Legalize it. Serously people die more from lung cancer caused from smoking cigs and drinking and driving and/or alcohol poisoning. In fact, I have never heard of anyone dying from O.D.'ing on too much pot.needled24-7

I don't remember how much it was, but it was some insane amount that's pretty much impossible to actually do.

I've decided I'm going to do an expirement a little later in my life. I'm going to not smoke pot for a month, then go to do the doctor and see how healthy I am. Then for another month, I'm going to smoke every day, smoking the same amount of the same quality each day, then see how healthy I am.

Its already been done and documented.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111833/

mikeg0788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mikeg0788
Member since 2003 • 11784 Posts

Old news, they're still doing studies on it. It's interesting news and it really makes you wonder what the government was thinking when they made marijuana illegal.ChowsSN

The founders of the DEA were thinking about how much money they could make if they duped a few politicians and the ignorant population into believing pot is seriously harmful for you.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts
[QUOTE="needled24-7"][QUOTE="megahaloman64"]

[QUOTE="plague32390"]Legalize it. Serously people die more from lung cancer caused from smoking cigs and drinking and driving and/or alcohol poisoning. In fact, I have never heard of anyone dying from O.D.'ing on too much pot.plague32390

Its already been done and documented.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111833/

I figured it had been, I still want to do it for myself. :P
Silvarach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Silvarach

[QUOTE="ChowsSN"]Old news, they're still doing studies on it. It's interesting news and it really makes you wonder what the government was thinking when they made marijuana illegal.mikeg0788

The founders of the DEA were thinking about how much money they could make if they duped a few politicians and the ignorant population into believing pot is seriously harmful for you.

For medicine, pot is like any other drug: perfectly safe, since people are taking it under the supervision of a doctor.

For recreation, pot is just like any other drug: dangerous as hell, because people are using it for the high effects without any physical need for it.

dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dooly420
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
[QUOTE="megahaloman64"]

[QUOTE="plague32390"]Legalize it. Serously people die more from lung cancer caused from smoking cigs and drinking and driving and/or alcohol poisoning. In fact, I have never heard of anyone dying from O.D.'ing on too much pot.plague32390

Yeah, its like 10 times your body weight.

it's 400 lbs in 6 1/2 hours.
eTrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eTrace
Member since 2003 • 3042 Posts

LEGALIZE IT

Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
[QUOTE="mikeg0788"]

[QUOTE="ChowsSN"]Old news, they're still doing studies on it. It's interesting news and it really makes you wonder what the government was thinking when they made marijuana illegal.Silvarach

For medicine, pot is like any other drug: perfectly safe, since people are taking it under the supervision of a doctor.

For recreation, pot is just like any other drug: dangerous as hell, because people are using it for the high effects without any physical need for it.

Well actually those who have a license for medical marijuana decide what kind they take and how much they smoke, so it's the exact same as anyone who wasn't prescribed. No matter which way you slice it marijuana isn't dangerous.
Silvarach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Silvarach
[QUOTE="Silvarach"][QUOTE="mikeg0788"]

[QUOTE="ChowsSN"]Old news, they're still doing studies on it. It's interesting news and it really makes you wonder what the government was thinking when they made marijuana illegal.Big_player

Well actually those who have a license for medical marijuana decide what kind they take and how much they smoke, so it's the exact same as anyone who wasn't prescribed. No matter which way you slice it marijuana isn't dangerous.

Those with a license can decide how much they take under a certain limit that they cannot surpass, with filters and equipment they can use to reduce the harm of the pot use. They must also check in with their doctors on a regualr basis, and can be arrested if they are caught with pot but no license. Kind of like prescribed Xanax. Those who take it without a license have no such limit.

I work in psychopharmacology; I am quite aware of the effects of pot, thank you.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]-Karmum-
Marijuana does not cause lung cancer.
Silvarach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Silvarach

[QUOTE="-Karmum-"][This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]br0kenrabbit

No, but those who use it regularly lose function of their lungs as much as 20 years faster than tobacco smokers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123104017.htm

It follows that if marijuana stops cancer cells, then it wouldn't cause lung cancer.

dirtyd100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dirtyd100
Member since 2006 • 4252 Posts
I knew it!!! Legalize marijuana NAO!!!
Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Deity_Slapper
Member since 2008 • 2615 Posts

There have never been large enough studies to demonstrate that marijuana and THC have any beneficial or any harmful effects.

drj077

Selective memory, I see...there has been numerous studies. But you're right about the lack of REAL studies showing harmful effects...most of those were negative propoganda. But what about the video in the link? And there's more to follow...

And what strikes me as being even more peculiar....why are you so quick to try and discredit your own colleagues? I've been here for years, under a different username, and I remember in the past as well when any thread would pop up concerning possible beneficial effects of cannabis, you'd always jump in to try and silence the discussion. I'm wondering, did you try cannabis and have a bad experience with it or something? What's with the agenda? I'm all for agendas with a purpose, like when I speak out against the ACTUAL harm that religions have caused us throughout history...but a flower? C'mon man, what happened?

But MOST IMPORTANTLY, study or not, the reports that come back from the patients themselves that consistently claim that cannabis has worked wonders for them, those hold the most weight of all. Unless you honestly think all these sick people are just a bunch of stoners "just trying to get their weed".

The largest studies that I've seen have been done retrospectively for lung cancer. The studies involved individuals that have smoked tobacco and marijuana with the studies being controlled for the confounding tobacco variable. However you look at it, smoking marijuana increases your relative risk of developing lung cancer. But, those same studies have enormous confidence intervals and there are likely numerous other confounding variables.

The worst possible thing that a person can do is smoke or even barely inhale marijuana into your lungs if the substance is not filtered and pure. Your risk of developing lung cancer is probably higher for those instances that it is for smoking simple cigarettes. drj077

The latests studies have shown that cannabis stops the growth of cancer cells in the lungs, and that people who smoke cannabis are actually less likely to get lung cancer than those who don't even smoke at all! Although, I'd imagine that vaporization is obviously the safest choice.

Cannabis use and risk of lung cancer: a case-control study. is a recent journal publication that has some interesting conclusions.

drj077

Who published it? Is it biased? I'd like to see some of this study...do you have any links to excerpts, or could you post some?

Also, I highly doubt that you get enough THC from smoking marijuana to get any of the anti-cancer benefits of the substance.

drj077

Ask a cancer patient what it has done for them. You might be suprised. It's not just the THC either, it's all the other cannabinoid compounds as well. For a doctor, or someone who's soon to be one, you seem to be pretty naive on the subject. But I'm not worried, a couple of naysayers aren't going to stop anything. This herb is a wonderous medicine, and it's benefical uses will be revealed and proven in full, very soon. The haters will have no choice but to either humbly accept the facts and stop trying to demonize a helpless little flower, or keep living in denial.

In closing, I'd just like to remind everyone that our brains are equipped with cannabinoid receptors. We are specifically built for interaction with substances that carry cannabinoids. It's as if we were meant to use them. Whether we evolved that way (to need them), or we were designed that way by a higher power (for all you religious types), it seems as if humans and cannabis were meant to be a part of each other. (So for people who believe in god, it wouldn't be a far-fetched idea that god created humans to interact with this plant, not only because of the receptors we have, but also considering how many positive effects it has on so many different ailments in so many different people. It must be that way for a reason, don't you think? Remember, cannabis was outlawed to protect government-backed industries, not our health.) I know for a fact, personally, that EVERY SINGLE TIME I use cannabis, I feel like it's something that human beings were meant to use. Something about it just feels right, and to not have it, we would be living with a deficiency...like having a vitamin deficiency, we'd be less healthy without it.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Deity_Slapper

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"][QUOTE="-Karmum-"][This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]Silvarach

No, but those who use it regularly lose function of their lungs as much as 20 years faster than tobacco smokers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123104017.htm

It follows that if marijuana stops cancer cells, then it wouldn't cause lung cancer.

Ironically, people who believe propoganda lose their ability to think for themselves 20 times faster than people who don't. :roll:

I'd say come back and talk after you've had personal experience. This article doesn't even take into account filtered smoke by way of waterpipes, or vaporization. Sure, unfiltered smoke will leave quite a build up of tar, but most smokers are aware of this anyway. It's a personal choice to begin with, but more and more users are becoming educated to the fact that not only do you not have to smoke cannabis to receive it's benefits, but even if you do smoke it, there are many different and effective ways of filtering the smoke and therefore minimizing any potential harm.

I use it regularly, and have been for a decade and a half...my lungs are still at full capacity. I have no trouble breathing at all. Cannabis is a bronchodial dialator, meaning it expands the lungs upon contact. Vaporized cannabis is actually a FANTASTIC method of alleviating the debilitating effects of asthma, just like one of those little inhalers that asthma sufferers always carry around.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Hungry_bunny

most carsonegenics are held in the tar so i guess canabis dosn't have any tar in it

I think they should leagalize it, it solves a good number of medical problems, relieves stress and it's not hurting anyone except possibly the smoker

Avatar image for chicken_dude_05
chicken_dude_05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 chicken_dude_05
Member since 2006 • 480 Posts
[QUOTE="matt_25568"]

Rockclmbr6

OH SNAP!

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
if we all smoked dope enough people wouldn;t die every year and the population crisis would occur even sooner!
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts
well, let's consider the source. MSNBC is not really a trusted news source really. From what i see of it, the TV station at least has a clear bias, it seems like it's head over heels for Obama and is very liberal biased, so i'm not surprised if they make up a fake story. Besides MSNBC's motto is "the place for politics"- or as i say, the place with a political agenda.
Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Deity_Slapper

if we all smoked dope enough people wouldn;t die every year and the population crisis would occur even sooner!inyourface_12

This is actually true! :lol:

thegame458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 thegame458
Member since 2006 • 1326 Posts
YES!, now I will live forever
Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Deity_Slapper

well, let's consider the source. MSNBC is not really a trusted news source really. From what i see of it, the TV station at least has a clear bias, it seems like it's head over heels for Obama and is very liberal biased, so i'm not surprised if they make up a fake story. Besides MSNBC's motto is "the place for politics"- or as i say, the place with a political agenda.whipassmt

I don't trust any "stations" in particular, but those doctors in the video are not lying. Also, it's not like this was the only station that reported this, on top of all the other reports about the benefits of cannabis, that have been aired on numerous other stations, websites, and newspapers. Cannabis is a genuine medicine.

But I know it will be hard to reverse the years and years of brainwashing that we've undergone in this country (that is, if you live in the U.S.). It's definately hard to break a train of thought that we've gotten used to for so long. But it's a fact, cannabis is NOT what they say it is. Seriously, just look at it. It's just a damn flower-bearing plant. It just happens to carry some compounds that happen to have noticable effects on a human, when consumed by the human. I don't see how that's an evil thing, especially when the effects are not lethal, or even close to it. It's definately not something we need "big brother" to protect us from.

And for everyone who would say, "if pot was legal, we'd have a nation of potheads, and our economy would go down the drain.", well, just think...let's say alcohol was illegal, and our whole lives we were told that it was dangerous, evil, and would lead to our downfall...then one day some group of "crazies" decides to try and push for it's legalization, based on our human right to consume whatever substances we choose as long as we do not harm others...all of the same people who said the previous statement about cannabis, would be saying the same thing about alcohol - "if alcohol becomes legal, we'll have a nation of drunks and we would have disaster. We can't allow this to happen." All of this of course being based upon the education they had received earlier. But see, alcohol already is legal, more dangerous than cannabis ever could be, and we're still doing fine as a nation. Therefore, any substances that are less harmful than alcohol, would also not destroy our nation, by logical default. So the theory that legalized cannabis would destroy us, is completely invalid.

-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Austin-
Member since 2008 • 2417 Posts

Workers of the World, Unite!