Most heartbreaking trade your favorite sports team made?...

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

For me, it was when the New York Knicks traded David Lee before the start of this season. He always tried his hardest and played his best even though he had the misfortune of being on the team in the Darkest time in franchise history. I mean we finally have a team thats competitive and can make it to the playoffs the second he gets traded its super lame. Hes actually exactly what the team needs right now as well, we get out rebounded almost every single game. Oh well, Hell always have this, which was the single most awesome moment Ive ever seen watching basketball.. Nothing even comes close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q99sL_g3jvo

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ugalde-
Member since 2009 • 3732 Posts

Haven't been a sports fan long enough to really experience a trade that killed me. As a Knicks fan you gotta listen to this if you haven't yet.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VendettaRed07

Dude.... That was so awesome lol.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ugalde-

Dude.... That was so awesome lol.

VendettaRed07
Yupp I love it.
Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

I guess it was when the Los Angeles Kings traded away Gretzky signifying that they weren't interested in chasing the cup as they sold more than enough seats on a regular basis to make serious bank anyways. But this led to an awesome tenure with the New York Rangers which made me a permanent fan of that franchise despite my usual West Coast dismissal of all things New York.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
Honestly, Ryan Longwell. I don't think enough can be said about the importance of having a top tier placekicker on your team.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Neither one was a trade, but letting go of Brian Dawkins and Brian Westbrook made me cry.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
When Beast left the X-Men for the Secret Avengers :(
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

When the Edmonton Oilers sold Wayne Gretzky to the L.A. Kings :cry:

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

For me, it was when the New York Knicks traded David Lee before the start of this season. He always tried his hardest and played his best even though he had the misfortune of being on the team in the Darkest time in franchise history. I mean we finally have a team thats competitive and can make it to the playoffs the second he gets traded its super lame. Hes actually exactly what the team needs right now as well, we get out rebounded almost every single game. Oh well, Hell always have this, which was the single most awesome moment Ive ever seen watching basketball.. Nothing even comes close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q99sL_g3jvo

VendettaRed07
David Lee being traded was also extremely disappointing to me as well.
barcx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 barcx17
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

Trading Paul Lo Duca and Eric Gagne to the Marlins broke my heart. Then I found out they were both named in the Mitchell Report, so I'm glad they didn't stay.

Phooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phooter
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Just recently when Newcastle United sold Andy Carroll for 35 million pounds to Liverpool (the 7th most expensive transfer in football history). Also the most ridiculous transfer I've ever heard of, even as a Newcastle United fan I can admit that he is nowhere near worth that amount of money lol.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
>heartbreaking >sports l0l
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
When the Lakers traded Sasha. I cried for hours. haha not. I hate the Lakers and I hate Sasha even more.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VendettaRed07

When the Edmonton Oilers sold Wayne Gretzky to the L.A. Kings :cry:

kittensRjerks

I cant even being to imagine what possessed them to do that... I mean that would have been like if the Bulls traded Jordan in 1992 lol.. What were they thinking?

TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 TINYOWNSYOU
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

When the Calgary Flames traded Phaneuf.

:cry:

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

TINYOWNSYOU

He sucks on the Maple Leafs.

Wait until Iginla gets traded, too!

Mwahahaha. :twisted:

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts
when liverpool FC sold Xabi Alonso. They got rid of him after finishing second in the league, and then finished 7th the next. We just sold our best striker torres, but got enough money to buy one who seems to be better, AND another young striker who is one of the leagues top scorers. Not that any pof that made any sense to you yanks.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 no_more_fayth

I'm not too sure, but there was a time when the Blackhawks traded all their good players away.

So... maybe that era counts for my answer.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts
[QUOTE="Phooter"]Just recently when Newcastle United sold Andy Carroll for 35 million pounds to Liverpool (the 7th most expensive transfer in football history). Also the most ridiculous transfer I've ever heard of, even as a Newcastle United fan I can admit that he is nowhere near worth that amount of money lol.

neither has torres been the last few months, also carrol is THE most expensive british player ever
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Even though it wasn't a trade (or it actually might have been I don't remember), letting Manny Rameriz go was one that effected me the most.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
[QUOTE="Phooter"]Just recently when Newcastle United sold Andy Carroll for 35 million pounds to Liverpool (the 7th most expensive transfer in football history). Also the most ridiculous transfer I've ever heard of, even as a Newcastle United fan I can admit that he is nowhere near worth that amount of money lol.

It is a very expensive transfer, I guess time will tell if it was worth it. But it's a blow to Newcastle no doubt, I can sympathise to how fans will feel. Anyway, for me it was either van Nistelrooy leaving Man Utd for Real Madrid, or Beckham leaving for the same club. Ronaldo being sold wasn't so bad; he was a great player in terms of ability, but I never attached to his personality at all, in fact I rather disliked him as a person. Interestingly he was also sold to the same team.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
It wasn't a trade. It was when the Dolphins passed up Matt Ryan in the draft. :(
TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TINYOWNSYOU

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

no_more_fayth

I doubt Inginla will be traded.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

TINYOWNSYOU

You never know, they are struggling hard.

I'm fairly certain he has a no-trade clause, but he could possibly waive it for a chance to win the Cup before he retires.

He's getting up there in age.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

It wasn't a trade. It was when the Dolphins passed up Matt Ryan in the draft. :(mrmusicman247
And they have Henne now lol. What a joke QB.

berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
Manny Ramirez
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]It wasn't a trade. It was when the Dolphins passed up Matt Ryan in the draft. :(sherman-tank1

And they have Henne now lol. What a joke QB.

:cry: We need Kevin Kolb.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

It wasn't a trade. It was when the Dolphins passed up Matt Ryan in the draft. :(mrmusicman247

In favor of a tackle who has yet to play a season in which he wasn't named to the Pro Bowl. Boo-hoo.

TINYOWNSYOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TINYOWNSYOU

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

no_more_fayth

I'm fairly certain he has a no-trade clause, but he could possibly waive it for a chance to win the Cup before he retires.

You're right, they might trade him...

I think it would have to be a pretty good trade though. Inginla is one of the best Flames.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]It wasn't a trade. It was when the Dolphins passed up Matt Ryan in the draft. :(Oleg_Huzwog

In favor of a tackle who has yet to play a season in which he wasn't named to the Pro Bowl. Boo-hoo.

Boo-hoo indeed.
NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts
Michael Beasley for 2 second round draft picks.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 no_more_fayth

[QUOTE="no_more_fayth"]

[QUOTE="TINYOWNSYOU"]

TINYOWNSYOU

You're right, they might trade him...

I think it would have to be a pretty good trade though. Inginla is one of the best Flames.

He's one of the best if not the best.

You know how those pesky GMs work, though. :P

The Devils were struggling, and Langenbrunner allowed to be traded, because it was to the Stars.

Ugalde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ugalde-
Michael Beasley for 2 second round draft picks.NoobisMaxcimus
Seems like it would be hard to be heartbroken over that when you get LBJ/Bosh.
NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts
[QUOTE="NoobisMaxcimus"]Michael Beasley for 2 second round draft picks.Ugalde-
Seems like it would be hard to be heartbroken over that when you get LBJ/Bosh.

Still loved the guy.
Phooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Phooter
[QUOTE="johngebreadman"][QUOTE="Phooter"]Just recently when Newcastle United sold Andy Carroll for 35 million pounds to Liverpool (the 7th most expensive transfer in football history). Also the most ridiculous transfer I've ever heard of, even as a Newcastle United fan I can admit that he is nowhere near worth that amount of money lol.

neither has torres been the last few months, also carrol is THE most expensive british player ever

It's a joke and that's coming from somebody who was grown up to be a NCUFC fan lol. Is Torres fit for Sunday? Will be some game if he's playing. Sadly I'm working :/
Phooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Phooter
[QUOTE="cjek"][QUOTE="Phooter"]Just recently when Newcastle United sold Andy Carroll for 35 million pounds to Liverpool (the 7th most expensive transfer in football history). Also the most ridiculous transfer I've ever heard of, even as a Newcastle United fan I can admit that he is nowhere near worth that amount of money lol.

It is a very expensive transfer, I guess time will tell if it was worth it. But it's a blow to Newcastle no doubt, I can sympathise to how fans will feel. Anyway, for me it was either van Nistelrooy leaving Man Utd for Real Madrid, or Beckham leaving for the same club. Ronaldo being sold wasn't so bad; he was a great player in terms of ability, but I never attached to his personality at all, in fact I rather disliked him as a person. Interestingly he was also sold to the same team.

He's proven himself to be a great player and he was brilliant for the toon, even got them promoted (although not single-handedly imo). We still have great players in Nolan, Barton, Guthrie and Ben Arfa (whenever he returns). I just feel that now Carroll has left we're lacking up front, I still think Ameobi has some goals left in him, but Lovenkrands is past it.....However, that's just my opinion, I still believe Best can prove himself despite the many doubters, just wish they'd play him a bit more and give him the chance.
ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts
Adam Dunn when he was traded from the Reds. He was criticized for defense, but I will defend him to the end of the earth because he was shuffled way too much. Left field, Right field, third base, and first base. They never utilized him correctly. When he went into training camp last and was first baseman all season then proceeded to play better defense than the all-star first baseman. I would still prefer him in the outfield as he has a cannon for an arm to throw to home. He has been the most consistent hitter in the last 7 years. He doesn't have slumps.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Adam Dunn when he was traded from the Reds. He was criticized for defense, but I will defend him to the end of the earth because he was shuffled way too much. Left field, Right field, third base, and first base. They never utilized him correctly. When he went into training camp last and was first baseman all season then proceeded to play better defense than the all-star first baseman. I would still prefer him in the outfield as he has a cannon for an arm to throw to home. He has been the most consistent hitter in the last 7 years. He doesn't have slumps.ttobba07

40 homeruns and 100 walks like clockwork, yet nobody ever wants him. Blows my mind.

ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

[QUOTE="ttobba07"]Adam Dunn when he was traded from the Reds. He was criticized for defense, but I will defend him to the end of the earth because he was shuffled way too much. Left field, Right field, third base, and first base. They never utilized him correctly. When he went into training camp last and was first baseman all season then proceeded to play better defense than the all-star first baseman. I would still prefer him in the outfield as he has a cannon for an arm to throw to home. He has been the most consistent hitter in the last 7 years. He doesn't have slumps.Oleg_Huzwog

40 homeruns and 100 walks like clockwork, yet nobody ever wants him. Blows my mind.

Exactly. You know exactly what you get. I think the problem is that the reds old manager and a diamondbacks field coach criticized his work ethic but nationals manager and owner praised him in every way they could.
bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

wasnt david lee traded so that the knicks could get stoudmire? They sign and traded lee right? So that means lee wanted to leave. The knicks were able to get something out of him leaving... i think. Randolph and turiaf arent exactly excellent big men though.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

probably when luis figo left FCB for Real Madrid.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
Not that they are my favorite team or anything, but when the Pirates traded away Brian Giles I was crushed. I enjoyed baseball as a kid and Giles was my favorite player. My best sports memory (sadly it is tied to a team with 18 straight losing seasons) was when I was at the game right behind home plate, the Pirates were down 8-5 in the bottom of the 9th. The bases were loaded, and my favorite player came up to bat. I was jumping around telling my dad "omg he's gonna hit a grand slam!" to which he replied (in true negative Pirates fan fashion), "ahhh they haven't scored enough to win, why the hell would they do it now?" He hit a grand slam and won the game. I lost it. I was jumping all over the place. Man that was a great memory. They traded him the next season for basically nothing....
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

The Cowboys trading FOR Roy Hands of Stone Williams. :x

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

Not a trade that has happened yet, but for me it will be when the current Nuggets roster gets blown up. :cry:

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

Wayne Gretzky --> LA

Worst trade in the history of sports.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

The Sabres losing Briere and Drury in the same offseason. They had such an awesome team and when that happened I mostly stopped following hockey.

Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Robbie Fowler to Leeds in 2001.
Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
I know it wasn't a trade but as a Raiders fan it made me sick to see Time Brown in a Bucs uniform.