Morally Speaking, What Are Humans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#251 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

But according to the theory, the threat of predators (and thus death) is a factor which causes the prey to adapt new abilities to survive...... Lansdowne5
I just have a problem with the word 'threat' because that word refers to a psychological phenomenon.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#252 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"] Indeed. And not replying to a post does not necessarily equate to that post being ignored.

Lansdowne5

Well I answered to the question you asked in this thread and I did it very nicely and from what I saw you ignored me too.

I honestly didn't see your response -- and still haven't seen it. I'll have another look.

Thank you.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#253 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

Well,I need to get off. I should be on tomorrow for an hour and a half, like today and yesterday.

Thanks for all your help, Lansdowne.:) Bye all.
(Romans 1:21-25) - "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. {22} Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, {23} And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. {24} Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: {25} Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen."

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

:| I'm not talking about a "threat" of death, I'm talking about those organisms that cannot adapt actually dying and, in doing so, allowing organisms that can and have adapted to pass on the genes required for survival in that area. In that way, death is a major evolutionary function.

BumFluff122

I don't think that should be labeled as a 'threat'. That is, however, the basis of natural selection. But the 'threat' of death has nothing to do with evolution. It is a creatures ability to survive in the environment they are in that leads to evolution occurring.

I was the one who used that term. Maybe it wasn't the best choice of word. But my intended point was that which tycoonmike is making -- suggesting that death is a major evolutionary function.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

[QUOTE="Packt"] Crushmaster, have you read Darwin's original work on domestication of dogs and pigeons? Just curious how you would explain animal domestication and selective breeding. I am honestly curious, so you don't have to create a few second snappy response. Just tell me what you know.Packt

I haven't really thought about it, nor have I read his book.

I don't know what you want me to try explaining, either; nor do I think I have time, as I need to get off in about five minutes.

Well, maybe you should start there for some answers. I've done my part and read the damned bible in it's many incarnations. How can you expect to form a rational self-bias if you haven't even read the fundamental source material. How can you expect anyone to want to debate with you?

I can probably give you a good guess as to why he doesn't do so. I think he would see it as questioning his faith, and by extension God Itself, by actually reading up on what his detractors believe.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"] So thinking is a deed? Crushmaster

To a certain degree, as you choose what you think.

No. Your conclusion is invalid from its very foundation. Can you support that we choose what we think? Are you claiming humans have control over everything they think? Do you have that control? Can you control all your thoughts the subliminal, the impulsive?

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

[QUOTE="Packt"]

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

[QUOTE="Packt"] Crushmaster, have you read Darwin's original work on domestication of dogs and pigeons? Just curious how you would explain animal domestication and selective breeding. I am honestly curious, so you don't have to create a few second snappy response. Just tell me what you know.Crushmaster

I haven't really thought about it, nor have I read his book.

I don't know what you want me to try explaining, either; nor do I think I have time, as I need to get off in about five minutes.

Well, maybe you should start there for some answers. I've done my part and read the damned bible in it's many incarnations. How can you expect to form a rational self-bias if you haven't even read the fundamental source material. How can you expect anyone to want to debate with you?

Off to read the Origin of Species I'd hope. It's pretty essential material to read if you'd like to continue debating.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 BumFluff122

Natural Selection isn't the ONLY mechanism supposedly involved in evolution, though, is it? Therefore, if gene flow is down to chance (and that is another part of the process) that means that whatever percentage it is, evolution IS partly down to chance.Lansdowne5
Natural selection is the main driving force behind evolution. 'chance' does not effect natural selection. Natural selection refers to the changing in the genome to adapt to the environment. This is what creationists have a problem with. You can step on all the green or yellow bugs you want but that still doesn't takle away from the facts of natural selection and the passing on of genes if they are beneficial to the environment and the creatures existence in it.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 tycoonmike

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"] So thinking is a deed? Teenaged

No. Your conclusion is invalid from its very foundation. Can you support that we choose what we think? Are you claiming humans have control over everything they think? Do you have that control? Can you control all your thoughts the subliminal, the impulsive?

What is thought? If you're going to question him based off of an abstract concept, you'll have to define it.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#260 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

ur born with the power of choice...that's what decides wat u r

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Lansdowne5

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]I have a question (for everyone): Do you consider death a "bad" thing?Teenaged

When it is caused by un-natural means or not when their life "expires" (in other words: before someone's time, by murder or sudden death of a disease).

Generally that. ^

So if an animal died millions of years ago due to a disease, but because of that disease its descendants gradually adapted the ability to better survive, was that bad?

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 BumFluff122

:| I didn't say it did. What I'm saying is that both sides are wrong when they say that it is only by chance or only by natural selection that evolution works. It is the sum total of all variables and mutations that can make one species go extinct and another rise to be dominant over all others.

tycoonmike

I agree and it is why I listed genetic flow as one of the causes of species existence. A good example of this is the kangaroo. There is a reason why Kangaroos and animals like it are only limited to Australia. Because predators didn't exist for the Kangaroo in Australia while they did in other parts of the world. The species that would later become the kangaroo got killed off by predators in the other parts of the world while the ones in Australia have existed since. This is genetic drift.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

tycoonmike

What is thought? If you're going to question him based off of an abstract concept, you'll have to define it.

Everything that can be considered a thought. Not just the ones that come in your mind in clear words but also the impressions are thoughts. In a way thoughts are just the realisation of feelings in a more conscious level.

I dont see why its so hard to define thought. Or how me and CM can have such a different view that we cant communicate.

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

ur born with the power of choice...that's what decides wat u r

Chris_Williams
Actually you're born to whim. What choices can a newborn make? It's only through experience that you can learn to make a choice. For what is choice without reason? Choice is an illusion when based on random whim. It only gains permanance when made based on a system of values obtained through experience and reason.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Lansdowne5

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"] Natural Selection isn't the ONLY mechanism supposedly involved in evolution, though, is it? Therefore, if gene flow is down to chance (and that is another part of the process) that means that whatever percentage it is, evolution IS partly down to chance.BumFluff122

Natural selection is the main driving force behind evolution. 'chance' does not effect natural selection. Natural selection refers to the changing in the genome to adapt to the environment. This is what creationists have a problem with. You can step on all the green or yellow bugs you want but that still doesn't takle away from the facts of natural selection and the passing on of genes if they are beneficial to the environment and the creatures existence in it.

I know what natural selection is, and I know it's supposedly the main driving force behind evolution. BUT, are you claiming that evolution is not down to chance at all? i.e. - there is 0% chance involved in the process?
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 BumFluff122

I was the one who used that term. Maybe it wasn't the best choice of word. But my intended point was that which tycoonmike is making -- suggesting that death is a major evolutionary function.Lansdowne5
Death itself is an 'evolutionary' function yes (Although I wouldn't really call it that). The ability to adapt to ones environment that allows the species to live longer is what should have been said in it's place though.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 tycoonmike

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]No. Your conclusion is invalid from its very foundation. Can you support that we choose what we think? Are you claiming humans have control over everything they think? Do you have that control? Can you control all your thoughts the subliminal, the impulsive?

Teenaged

Everything that can be considered a thought. Not just the ones that come in your mind in clear words but also the impressions are thoughts. In a way thoughts are just the realisation of feelings in a more conscious level.

I dont see why its so hard to define thought. Or how me and CM can have such a different view that we cant communicate.

Circular reasoning. A thought is simply a thought because it is?

What about this definition: Representative reactions towards stimuli from internal chemical reactions or external environmental factors. (Don't blame me, blame the wiki)

Or this definition: the product of mental activity; that which one thinks

Or this definition: the capacity or faculty of thinking, reasoning, imagining, etc.

Or this one: a judgment, opinion, or belief.

(Latter three from www.dictionary.com)

Which one is right? Are any of them right? None of them really conform to your definition, so how can we be certain your definition is correct?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]I have a question (for everyone): Do you consider death a "bad" thing?Lansdowne5

When it is caused by un-natural means or not when their life "expires" (in other words: before someone's time, by murder or sudden death of a disease).

Generally that. ^

So if an animal died millions of years ago due to a disease, but because of that disease its descendants gradually adapted the ability to better survive, was that bad?

I was talking more about humans and my personal feelings. I wasnt taking it to a level of thinking the possible positive things.

In that case the adaptation was something that went along with death, it wasnt caused by it.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

tycoonmike

Circular reasoning. A thought is simply a thought because it is?

What about this definition: Representative reactions towards stimuli from internal chemical reactions or external environmental factors. (Don't blame me, blame the wiki)

I just thought that common sense on the matter was adequate thats why I said it like that.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Lansdowne5

Well,I need to get off. I should be on tomorrow for an hour and a half, like today and yesterday.

Crushmaster

Me too. Until then....God Bless to all. :)

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 tycoonmike

I just thought that common sense on the matter was adequate thats why I said it like that.

Teenaged

Unfortunately you'll find no foothold in common sense. Indeed, to me, thought is any concept or idea derived in the mind whether conscious or unconscious.

You're not dealing with something that can be solved using common sense, indeed no abstract concept can be unraveled or, for that matter, solved using common sense as such sense differs from person to person.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

tycoonmike

Unfortunately you'll find no foothold in common sense. Indeed, to me, thought is any concept or idea derived in the mind whether conscious or unconscious.

Yeah I just (deliberately) didnt think whether CM has a different view on it cause I took it for granted that more or less he meant the same.

But either way he hasnt answered so... :P

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 BumFluff122

I know what natural selection is, and I know it's supposedly the main driving force behind evolution. BUT, are you claiming that evolution is not down to chance at all? i.e. - there is 0% chance involved in the process?Lansdowne5
There is no chance involved in Natural Selection. There is chance involved in the original genetic mutation. However it is well known that genetic mutations do occur, evidenced by such things as various types of cancer and sickle cell disease as well as other diseases, and these mutations actually happen very very often. I've read that our entire outter skin replaces itself completely ever few days or so (Though I can't remember the exact number). Given the vast number of genetic material located in each cell some thing get coded wrong now and then. And actually we have white blood cells in oru own body that deal with wrongly coded cells. However these white blood cells aren't 100% effective as evidenced by the various mutated cell related diseases. If one of those cells are of a somatic type or a type that will get passed onto the offspring that offspring will carry the genetic mutation with them. And therefor the mutated cell has been passed on. That mutated cell will be passe don to the children of the individual and to their childrens childrens children.

Zagrius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#274 Zagrius
Member since 2002 • 3820 Posts
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"] I know what natural selection is, and I know it's supposedly the main driving force behind evolution. BUT, are you claiming that evolution is not down to chance at all? i.e. - there is 0% chance involved in the process?

Imagine a person rolling some amount of dice. The results of each roll can be 1-6. Each time the dice falls on 5 the person writes down '5' on a piece of (originally blank before any dice where thrown) paper right after any other 5's he may have written. Any other outcome and the person just rerolls the dice. What are the chances of the person ending up with a number made entirely out of 5's written on the piece of paper?
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Crushmaster

This question seems appropriate, due to the topic's title. As, naturally, all of us are human. Here we go:

I have a question for any non-believerswho wish to answer: Would you consider yourself to be a good person?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Teenaged

This question seems appropriate, due to the topic's title. As, naturally, all of us are human. Here we go:

I have a question for any non-believerswho wish to answer: Would you consider yourself to be a good person?

Crushmaster

Yes I do. -_-

I am not perfect by far (as if anyone can be!) but I think I am a generally good person.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Crushmaster

I dont see why its so hard to define thought. Or how me and CM can have such a different view that we cant communicate. Teenaged

I think everything such as words, images, scenes, reasoning, logic, etc., basically everything in your mind, could be considered a thought.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"] Everything that can be considered a thought. Not just the ones that come in your mind in clear words but also the impressions are thoughts. In a way thoughts are just the realisation of feelings in a more conscious level.

I dont see why its so hard to define thought. Or how me and CM can have such a different view that we cant communicate. Crushmaster

I think everything such as words, images, scenes, reasoning, logic, etc., basically everything in your mind, could be considered a thought.

Yes exactly.

Are each and every of those kinds of thoughts controlable by you in order to be considered things you choose to think?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Crushmaster

Yes I do. -_-

I am not perfect by far (as if anyone can be!) but I think I am a generally good person. Teenaged

It's interesting you said that, because that's what the Bible says you'll probably say. Now: Do you think you've kept the Ten Commandments?

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#281 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

I believe that we are all on the same terms. No matter how good we think we are. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#282 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
both...you just get to choose
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Crushmaster

Yes exactly.

Are each and every of those kinds of thoughts controlable by you in order to be considered things you choose to think? Teenaged

I would say so, yes.

You can choose what to think, and what to keep thinking. However, I think our other discussion is more important. Could we please postpone this one?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"] Yes exactly.

Are each and every of those kinds of thoughts controlable by you in order to be considered things you choose to think? Crushmaster

I would say so, yes.

You can choose what to think, and what to keep thinking. However, I think our other discussion is more important. Could we please postpone this one?

Well I disagree...

..but as you wish.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Lansdowne5

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

Teenaged

Yes I do. -_-

I am not perfect by far (as if anyone can be!) but I think I am a generally good person.

OK. Can I ask: Why would you consider yourself a good person? What are you comparing yourself to in order to make that judgement?

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#286 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

Crushmaster

What constitutes a non-believer to you? Someone who doesn't adhere to or has doubts about stiff and pragmatic views of organized christianity? Someone of another faith?

To you I am probably a non-believer, but no I do not consider myself a good person. I am flawed in more ways than most and try to work with what I've been given to do right by myself and others.

Do you consider yourself to be a good person?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Crushmaster

I believe that we are all on the same terms. No matter how good we think we are. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.J-man45

Well said!

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 J-man45

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

Second_Rook

What constitutes a non-believer to you? Someone who doesn't adhere to or has doubts about stiff and pragmatic views of organized christianity? Someone of another faith?

To you I am probably a non-believer, but no I do not consider myself a good person. I am flawed in more ways than most and try to work with what I've been given to do right by myself and others.

Do you consider yourself to be a good person?

I can try to be "good" but in the end I will always sin and fall short in God's eyes.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 Crushmaster

Do you consider yourself to be a good person? Second_Rook

A non-believer is somewhat who is not a Christian.

No, I do not consider myself to be a good person. Here's the next question: Do you think you've kept the Ten Commandments?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 Crushmaster

Well I disagree...

..but as you wish. Teenaged

Thank you.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"] Yes I do. -_-

I am not perfect by far (as if anyone can be!) but I think I am a generally good person. Crushmaster

It's interesting you said that, because that's what the Bible says you'll probably say. Now: Do you think you've kept the Ten Commandments?

I dont care what the Bible says about what I will say. The Bible makes that statement to make it clear that non-believers are boastful, not humble and all that stuff like the one belief that non-believers just hate god.

Well the Bible is proven wrong on this one (to my eyes) because simply saying that I am generally a good person is not boastful in the least. I am aware of my numerous flaws, but those flaws dont necessarily make me bad. Besides like I have said in previous discussions at least from what most people tell me they have a good opinion about me in general. Of course this "evidence" of mine is subjective and you are not bound to believe it.

I think we have had that discussion about the 10 commandments before and I wont go through with it again since we have a major disagreement: you believe that even thoughts are importnant and should be taken into consideration for the 10 Com, while I dont.

This is a major differing point which I think will stand in the way of such a discussion dont you think?

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Lansdowne5

I can try to be "good" but in the end I will always sin and fall short in God's eyes.

J-man45

.....which is why we need a Savior, and which is why the Law was not a sufficient method of repenting -- we will always sin and we will always fall short of the Glory of God.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#293 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"] What constitutes a non-believer to you? Someone who doesn't adhere to or has doubts about stiff and pragmatic views of organized christianity? Someone of another faith?

Do you consider yourself to be a good person? Crushmaster

No, I do not consider myself to be a good person. Here's the next question: Do you think you've kept the Ten Commandments?

Of course not. Nobody could live their entire life without an infraction upon commands that go against what is in their nature.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 J-man45

[QUOTE="J-man45"]

Lansdowne5

.....which is why we need a Savior, and which is why the Law was not a sufficient method of repenting -- we will always sin and we will always fall short of the Glory of God.

exactly.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Crushmaster

I dont care what the Bible says about what I will say. The Bible makes that statement to make it clear that non-believers are boastful, not humble and all that stuff like the one belief that non-believers just hate god.

Well the Bible is proven wrong on this one (to my eyes) because simply saying that I am generally a good person is not boastful in the least. I am aware of my numerous flaws, but those flaws dont necessarily make me bad. Besides like I have said in previous discussions at least from what most people tell me they have a good opinion about me in general. Of course this "evidence" of mine is subjective and you are not bound to believe it.

I think we have had that discussion about the 10 commandments before and I wont go through with it again since we have a major disagreement: you believe that even thoughts are importnant and should be taken into consideration for the 10 Com, while I dont.

This is a major differing point which I think will stand in the way of such a discussion dont you think? Teenaged

Could you please just answer it 'yes' or 'no'?:)

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 J-man45

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

[QUOTE="Second_Rook"] What constitutes a non-believer to you? Someone who doesn't adhere to or has doubts about stiff and pragmatic views of organized christianity? Someone of another faith?

Do you consider yourself to be a good person? Second_Rook

Of course not. Nobody could live their entire life without an infraction upon commands that go against what is in their nature.

are murder and theft in your nature? Just wondering.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 Crushmaster

Of course not. Nobody could live their entire life without an infraction upon commands that go against what is in their nature.Second_Rook

Indeed.

Have you ever told a lie?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Crushmaster"]

Lansdowne5

Yes I do. -_-

OK. Can I ask: Why would you consider yourself a good person? What are you comparing yourself to in order to make that judgement?

I think the main "corpus" of criteria which I use are subjectively within me through how my parents have brought me up and how they were as rolemodels themselves. Basic Christianic principles wre present of course in my up-bringing, as I dont doubt that my environment was influenced by Christianity.

Now as of another criterion like I told Crush, is my everyday interaction with people.

Simple stuff like politeness, compassion, honesty and being just.

Now of course I never said that in each of these "sections" I was perfect but generally.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Lansdowne5

I am aware of my numerous flaws, but those flaws dont necessarily make me bad.

Teenaged

So your good points make you good, but your flaws don't make you bad? Do you rate yourself on percentages or something (60% good/40% bad?) and whichever comes out the highest is what you decide to label yourself as?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"] I dont care what the Bible says about what I will say. The Bible makes that statement to make it clear that non-believers are boastful, not humble and all that stuff like the one belief that non-believers just hate god.

This is a major differing point which I think will stand in the way of such a discussion dont you think? Crushmaster

Could you please just answer it 'yes' or 'no'?:)

No I cant because we obviously have a very different definition of "sin".