Morally Speaking, What Are Humans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

I believe we, basically said, "simply evil". Romans 3:10 says, "There is none righteous; no, not one"; Jesus said, "There is one good; that is, God"; etc. The Bible speaks a good deal on this subject.

What are your views on this? And your reasons for those views?
EDIT: The fourth option should have ly on the end of 'most'; sorry about that. I would edit it, but it would delete all of the votes.
Please Note: This topic's purpose is evangelism. Please keep the discussion on the poll question, and other religious/Christian-based subjects. Thank you.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

I don't see how any species can be seen as being inherently good or evil. There's always a shade of grey.

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

Where all completely evil.....

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Impossible to generalise.
-Chimera-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Chimera-
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts

I don't think there is an objective or absolute moral standard, and that it all depends on the views of individuals right on up to society as a whole.

JSDempsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JSDempsey
Member since 2006 • 1803 Posts

Tabula Rasa.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
there is no evil nor good, just right and wrong for the individual, and right and wrong in other frames of existence, constantly bumping heads with eachother
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

no one is born evil or good... just like we are not born with original sin

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

I believe we, basically said, "simply evil". Romans 3:10 says, "There is none righteous; no, not one"; Jesus said, "There is one good; that is, God"; etc. The Bible speaks a good deal on this subject.

What are your views on this? And your reasons for those views?
In Christ,
Crushmaster.

Crushmaster

I'm gonna have to read up on my Romans because that sounds flaggrantly out of context.

We are the most advanced species on the planet and we have a few problems, but I would rather bet on the human race than be a pathetic defeatist that believes we are hopeless and doomed to extinction.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi-Wan Kenobi I'm going to go with this answer here.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Evil is in the eye of the beholder.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crushmaster

there is no evil nor good, just right and wrong for the individual, and right and wrong in other frames of existence, constantly bumping heads with eachotherBiancaDK

I see.

So you think morality is relative?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Crushmaster

I'm gonna have to read up on my Romans because that sounds flaggrantly out of context.

We are the most advanced species on the planet and we have a few problems, but I would rather bet on the human race than be a pathetic defeatist that believes we are hopeless and doomed to extinction.

Second_Rook

It's not out of context.
(Romans 3:9-21) - "What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; {10} As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: {11} There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. {12} They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

"{13} Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: {14} Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: {15} Their feet are swift to shed blood: {16} Destruction and misery are in their ways: {17} And the way of peace have they not known: {18} There is no fear of God before their eyes. {19} Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. {20} Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.{21} But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;"

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Impossible to generalise.Funky_Llama
Wrong; we're monsters. D:
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
There's no such thing as good or evil; so we're neither.
there is no evil nor good, just right and wrong for the individual, and right and wrong in other frames of existence, constantly bumping heads with eachotherBiancaDK
Well said.
So you think morality is relative?Crushmaster
Yes.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Relative. People are whatever they wish to be, and in the eyes of someone else that may be "good" and it may be "evil."

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BiancaDK

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]there is no evil nor good, just right and wrong for the individual, and right and wrong in other frames of existence, constantly bumping heads with eachotherCrushmaster

I see.

So you think morality is relative?

I think how we perceive acts based on morals is as relative as humans are varying in values, but i also subscribe to the idea of there being a somewhat (emphasis on somewhat) fixed parameter to morality. How you would measure it, and what factors you would have to include, i unfortunately cant tell you, since i just dont know.

Avatar image for Godless_Liberal
Godless_Liberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Godless_Liberal
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
Morality is subjective
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Crushmaster

There's no such thing as good or evil; so we're neither. MrPraline

Uh huh. Let's say I wanted a new car. If I stole fifty thousand dollars from you, would that then be perfectly "OK"?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Crushmaster

I think how we perceive acts based on morals is as relative as humans are varying in values, but i also subscribe to the idea of there being a somewhat (emphasis on somewhat) fixed parameter to morality. How you would measure it, and what factors you would have to include, i unfortunately cant tell you, since i just dont know. BiancaDK

I see. So if I stole money from you, that would not be wrong? It would be "OK"?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
We are by default evil and the only good we do within our lives is the direct result of God working within our lives. Basically, blame evil on ourselves and give God the credit for everything good.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

]
I see. So I stole money from you, that would not be wrong? It would be "OK"?

Crushmaster

You're being far too black and white.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"] I think how we perceive acts based on morals is as relative as humans are varying in values, but i also subscribe to the idea of there being a somewhat (emphasis on somewhat) fixed parameter to morality. How you would measure it, and what factors you would have to include, i unfortunately cant tell you, since i just dont know. Crushmaster

That isn't quite what she said. She said that mankind, based on the multitude of cultures, belief systems, etc. has not yet figured out one, homogenized view of morality and right vs. wrong. What is heinous in one culture might be utterly normal in another. She explicitly stated that there are fixed parameter's to morality. What she is saying is that we don't universally agree on all of them quite yet.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Crushmaster

You're being far too black and white. Silent-Hal

How so?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Crushmaster

That isn't quite what she said. She said that mankind, based on the multitude of cultures, belief systems, etc. has not yet figured out one, homogenized view of morality and right vs. wrong. What is heinous in one culture might be utterly normal in another. She explicitly stated that there are fixed parameter's to morality. What she is saying is that we don't universally agree on all of them quite yet.nocoolnamejim

The thing is, we never will, undoubtedly. Until those who are believers get to Heaven, that is.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

Okay I just read the preceding chapters and verses and that statement is decrying the sanctimonious attitude that had become commonplace in the Jewish faith at the time it was written. Pointing out that knowledge of the law did not put people in a position to look down upon those around them. Knowing the law did not make you righteous, it made you aware of your own flaws and moving from that direction it could make you a betterperson.

But great spin you put on it just the same.

Edited for grammatical error

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BiancaDK

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"] I think how we perceive acts based on morals is as relative as humans are varying in values, but i also subscribe to the idea of there being a somewhat (emphasis on somewhat) fixed parameter to morality. How you would measure it, and what factors you would have to include, i unfortunately cant tell you, since i just dont know. Crushmaster

... Are you being serious, now?

I suggest you go read up on the terminology, before throwing it around left and right in a public thread.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
The concepts of "good" and "evil" are subjective. Therefore, there is no correct answer to your question.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
I believe we are inherently good. We learn our hatred, distrust, scorn, and angst from society. However inside each of us is a different perception of morality.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

You're being far too black and white.

Silent-Hal

Just because there are times that it is difficult to know whether something is morally good or bad does not mean there are issues which are gray. Could it not be that we simply have a hard time knowing the difference because of our fallen nature?

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

morality is relative. It is learned from society.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Crushmaster

Okay I just read the preceding chapters and verses and that statement is decrying the sanctimonious attitude that had become commonplace in the Jewish faith at the time it was written. Pointing out that knowledge of the law did not put people in a position to look down upon those around them. Knowing the law did not make you righteous, it made you aware of your own flaws and moving from that direction it could make you another person.

But great spin you put on it just the same. Second_Rook

...I don't see how anything you said proves that I took Romans 3:10 out of context.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chessmaster1989

I see. So if I stole money from you, that would not be wrong? It would be "OK"?

You're misrepresenting the idea of relative morality. Nice try, though ;).

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi-Wan Kenobi I'm going to go with this answer here.

And Obi-Wan was a wise man indeed. Exactly what I was going to say.
D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts

I hate these overly dualistic, black and white interpretations of morality. There are shades of gray to everything; though if I had to generalise, I would say humans are primarily self-centred. The problem with terms like "good" and "evil" is that they are so subjective that they have lost much of their semantic weight; they can mean wildly different things depending on the context and the individual. The Zoroastrian and Manichean (and apparently also Christian) notion of a strict good and evil understanding of morality is just too simple to be appropriate in every situation.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] That isn't quite what she said. She said that mankind, based on the multitude of cultures, belief systems, etc. has not yet figured out one, homogenized view of morality and right vs. wrong. What is heinous in one culture might be utterly normal in another. She explicitly stated that there are fixed parameter's to morality. What she is saying is that we don't universally agree on all of them quite yet.Crushmaster

The thing is, we never will, undoubtedly. Until those who are believers get to Heaven, that is.

Heaven - and what it is (and is not) - is one rather LARGE area of disagreement among mankind. It's a large area of disagreement among CHRISTIAN kind. But what you said really didn't disprove the earlier point. Trotting out an absurd example on whether or not it is okay to steal $50,000 from somebody to go buy a car isn't helpful because it is something that IS pretty much universally agreed to as being wrong. A better example would be, "Is it okay for a mom who has no money and can't work, and has been refused help from everyone, to rob a supermarket for food to feed her children?" This is a better example because, while it is widely accepted that stealing is wrong, you'd get a variety of answers on whether THIS PARTICULAR theft is morally wrong. Is stealing ALWAYS wrong or are there some circumstances where it could be morally right? Isn't it a greater crime to starve a family than for a family to steal in order to eat?
wii4panta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wii4panta
Member since 2007 • 2886 Posts
It's a mix of all of those.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Although I voted neutral because atm I was thinking of other arguments then I remembered about babies.

When they are born its like inherently they rejoice in goodness and cry when in evil treatment. Their default emotion is happiness (and sometimes sadness which is not an evil emotion).

Therefore I think that we are mostly inherently good.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Crushmaster

You're misrepresenting the idea of relative morality. Nice try, though ;). chessmaster1989

Could you please explain it to me, then?

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chessmaster1989
Hmm, looks like another thread of Crush preaching on Gamespot. Well, guys, have fun not convincing anyone of anything. As for me, I'm off for a bike ride.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Is stealing ALWAYS wrong or are there some circumstances where it could be morally right? Isn't it a greater crime to starve a family than for a family to steal in order to eat?

Categorical imperative. Stealing is always wrong.
Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Crushmaster

Heaven - and what it is (and is not) - is one rather LARGE area of disagreement among mankind. It's a large area of disagreement among CHRISTIAN kind. But what you said really didn't disprove the earlier point. Trotting out an absurd example on whether or not it is okay to steal $50,000 from somebody to go buy a car isn't helpful because it is something that IS pretty much universally agreed to as being wrong.

A better example would be, "Is it okay for a mom who has no money and can't work, and has been refused help from everyone, to rob a supermarket for food to feed her children?" This is a better example because, while it is widely accepted that stealing is wrong, you'd get a variety of answers on whether THIS PARTICULAR theft is morally wrong. Is stealing ALWAYS wrong or are there some circumstances where it could be morally right? Isn't it a greater crime to starve a family than for a family to steal in order to eat?nocoolnamejim

Thank you for the example. Let's try it, then:
"Is it okay for a mom who has no money and can't work, and has been refused help from everyone, to rob a supermarket for food to feed her children?"
(Question compliments of nocoolnamejim).

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BiancaDK
Hmm, looks like another thread of Crush preaching on Gamespot. Well, guys, have fun not convincing anyone of anything. As for me, I'm off for a bike ride.chessmaster1989
*hops on the handlebars* hey ho silver! *leaves thread*
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Hmm, looks like another thread of Crush preaching on Gamespot. Well, guys, have fun not convincing anyone of anything. As for me, I'm off for a bike ride.BiancaDK
*hops on the handlebars* hey ho silver! *leaves thread*

Noooo.com\back!

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] You're misrepresenting the idea of relative morality. Nice try, though ;). Crushmaster

Could you please explain it to me, then?

Sure, I'll take a minute to explain before I go off biking.

The idea of relative morality is that there is no absolute standard of morality, just individual standards of morals. Thus, perhaps the one being robbed may think theft immoral, and be angry that he was robbed. The thief, however, may not consider theft immoral, and thus see nothing wrong with theft.

What you were talking about when you asked whether I/nocool/whoever would be okay with someone stealing 50k from me/nocool/whoever is the idea that morality is nonexistant entirely, whether relative or objective, or that the person's personal morality dictated that stealing was okay. It has nothing to do with the overarching idea of relative morality. A person's personal set of moral codes could still dictate that stealing was wrong, or it could not.

If that doesn't explain it well, get GabuEx, nocoolnamejim, BumFluff, or -Sun_Tzu- to explain it for you. They're pretty good at this stuff. And, with that, I'm off.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nocoolnamejim

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Heaven - and what it is (and is not) - is one rather LARGE area of disagreement among mankind. It's a large area of disagreement among CHRISTIAN kind. But what you said really didn't disprove the earlier point. Trotting out an absurd example on whether or not it is okay to steal $50,000 from somebody to go buy a car isn't helpful because it is something that IS pretty much universally agreed to as being wrong.

A better example would be, "Is it okay for a mom who has no money and can't work, and has been refused help from everyone, to rob a supermarket for food to feed her children?" This is a better example because, while it is widely accepted that stealing is wrong, you'd get a variety of answers on whether THIS PARTICULAR theft is morally wrong. Is stealing ALWAYS wrong or are there some circumstances where it could be morally right? Isn't it a greater crime to starve a family than for a family to steal in order to eat?Crushmaster

"Is it okay for a mom who has no money and can't work, and has been refused help from everyone, to rob a supermarket for food to feed her children?"

Thanks Crushmaster. I'll start by saying that in this case, stealing is NOT morally wrong because it is being done for the survival of a woman's offspring. Many successful species have a biological imperative to protect and nurture their offspring. Therefore, stealing to ensure their continued survival, can't possibly be wrong even if it goes against the morality codes of most known religions and cultural ethical mores/laws.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]There's no such thing as good or evil; so we're neither. Crushmaster

Uh huh. Let's say I wanted a new car. If I stole fifty thousand dollars from you, would that then be perfectly "OK"?

Eh? No, it wouldn't be OK. To me at least.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16010 Posts

I dont follow any religion, therefore I don't subscribe to the self-loathing that Christianity/Judaism/Mormonism demand. From the bible and/or book of mormon's perspective, I'd look like I'm full of pride, but I'm just human. The guilt trip doesn't work on me, and all too often, that's the tactic that preachers use when they try to convert people

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Heaven - and what it is (and is not) - is one rather LARGE area of disagreement among mankind. It's a large area of disagreement among CHRISTIAN kind. But what you said really didn't disprove the earlier point. Trotting out an absurd example on whether or not it is okay to steal $50,000 from somebody to go buy a car isn't helpful because it is something that IS pretty much universally agreed to as being wrong.

A better example would be, "Is it okay for a mom who has no money and can't work, and has been refused help from everyone, to rob a supermarket for food to feed her children?" This is a better example because, while it is widely accepted that stealing is wrong, you'd get a variety of answers on whether THIS PARTICULAR theft is morally wrong. Is stealing ALWAYS wrong or are there some circumstances where it could be morally right? Isn't it a greater crime to starve a family than for a family to steal in order to eat?Crushmaster

It depends on what sort of moral system you use. If you're a moral absolutist, then no, it is still wrong and always will be regardless of the circumstances. If you're a utilitarian, then it seems that the crime was more beneficial to the woman and her family than it was harmful to the supermarket, and therefore perfectly moral. Then again, if you're a randroid, it was her own fault for not taking the initiative and succeeding on her own.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Crushmaster

Sure, I'll take a minute to explain before I go off biking.

The idea of relative morality is that there is no absolute standard of morality, just individual standards of morals. Thus, perhaps the one being robbed may think theft immoral, and be angry that he was robbed. The thief, however, may not consider theft immoral, and thus see nothing wrong with theft.

What you were talking about when you asked whether I/nocool/whoever would be okay with someone stealing 50k from me/nocool/whoever is the idea that morality is nonexistant entirely, whether relative or objective, or that the person's personal morality dictated that stealing was okay. It has nothing to do with the overarching idea of relative morality. A person's personal set of moral codes could still dictate that stealing was wrong, or it could not.

If that doesn't explain it well, get GabuEx, nocoolnamejim, BumFluff, or -Sun_Tzu- to explain it for you. They're pretty good at this stuff. And, with that, I'm off. chessmaster1989

Thank you for your time. Have a good bike ride.

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.