Microsoft predicts bleak future for Windows XP users after patches run out

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
It's a good thing I bought Windows 8 over a month-and-a-half ago to replace the aging, broken Windows XP. :) http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/08/19/microsoft-predicts-bleak-future-for-xp-users-after-patches-run-out/
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Of course they do. You don't move new product by saying "you'll probably be ok with what you've got".

Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dr-Gentlemen
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
XP's time has been up.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It's a 12 year old OS and regular support was discontinued for it in 2009. People don't have to run out and get 8, but they should have moved off XP long ago.

-byshop

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

It's a 12 year old OS and regular support was discontinued for it in 2009. People don't have to run out and get 8, but they should have moved off XP long ago.

-byshop

Byshop

Right, because we all run out and buy a new PC every time MS or Apple comes out with a new OS.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-byshop

theone86

Right, because we all run out and buy a new PC every time MS or Apple comes out with a new OS.

Which is totally what he said.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-byshop

theone86

Not everytime, but windows xp is a very old and outdated os, I don't even know why anyone would still use it.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-byshop

deeliman

Not everytime, but windows xp is a very old and outdated os, I don't even know why anyone would still use it.

Because it still serves their purposes just fine?

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

There's still about 8 months left of Win XP patches. By then, everyone should have switched over to Win 7.

I'm surprised this is actually an issue. MS has never maintained "eternal" support for any older OSs. Even their best (Win 2000) was discontinued after about a decade.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Most of my works computers still use XP.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
windows 7 is good
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

theone86

I think once a decade is pretty reasonable. That means you'll purchase a whole 5 or 6 OSes during your entire adult life. :P

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

Most of my works computers still use XP.

cain006

Businesses (particularly non-tech companies) can be notoriously slow to upgrade OSes because it's a pretty big undertaking. Mass conversion of desktops and servers to new OSes for large companies is actually a fair chunk of the business my company does.

-Byshop

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Upgrading to 7 is something that I think most people already should've done. I personally can't see why anyone would want to switch to windows 8. It's worse in every way compared to windows 7 unless you have a touch screen device.
Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5178 Posts

Where I work we still use Windows 98 on most of our computers!

Edit: Well half 98, half XP

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts
Upgrading to 7 is something that I think most people already should've done. I personally can't see why anyone would want to switch to windows 8. It's worse in every way compared to windows 7 unless you have a touch screen device.Moriarity_
Not really, windows 8 has faster start up and load times and the os uses less resources, plus if you really don't like the metro ui(like me) you could always download classic shell and get the normal start menu back.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#17 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
There are so few improvements between XP and 7 that I have no intentions of getting 8. The only thing that ever changes is the appearance. And they simply copy Apple for that.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
windows 7 is goodBossPerson
I like Windows 3.1 better. that clock is really something.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
There are so few improvements between XP and 7 that I have no intentions of getting 8. The only thing that ever changes is the appearance. And they simply copy Apple for that.SolidSnake35
only thing really worth is more ram can be used.xp is limited to like 3 gigs.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I very much despise Windows 8. I was ok with XP and now 7. My Win8 machine gets very little use.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
It's cool, elementary OS is out and so gosh darn easy to use.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Byshop

I think once a decade is pretty reasonable. That means you'll purchase a whole 5 or 6 OSes during your entire adult life. :P

-Byshop

Seriously. I don't understand why people think this is a big deal. If you haven't bought a new computer since Windows 7 came out, you're more than due for one. And if you don't want to buy a whole new computer, you don't have to. You can just upgrade the OS. 

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

the_bi99man

-Byshop

Seriously. I don't understand why people think this is a big deal. If you haven't bought a new computer since Windows 7 came out, you're more than due for one. And if you don't want to buy a whole new computer, you don't have to. You can just upgrade the OS. 

What? :?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Hexagon_777

It's 4 years old. Most people buy new computers faster than that. And even if you bought your last computer right before 7 came out, so it's only 4 years old, and still running XP (or, God forbid, Vista), you can just upgrade the OS. It's not difficult, or expensive, and expecting MS to continue supporting the ancient OS, even for as long as they have already, is asinine.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolbeans90

Truth be told, 7 at this point, in my opinion, has more than proved itself a worthy successor to XP.

8 can suck my balls tho.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

XP still works great but it is a bit dated. I've been using windows 7 for quite a while now and wouldn't go back.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

It's 4 years old. Most people buy new computers faster than that. And even if you bought your last computer right before 7 came out, so it's only 4 years old, and still running XP (or, God forbid, Vista), you can just upgrade the OS. It's not difficult, or expensive, and expecting MS to continue supporting the ancient OS, even for as long as they have already, is asinine.

Upgrading the operating system, like you suggested, seems like a far more viable move than going ahead and buying a whole new computer, although for the common man it will still involve the spending of monies. Saying that people are more than due for a new computer after four years is ridiculous, though. I agree that you shouldn't expect that of Microsoft, but a whole new computer after four years = no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

7 is godly. If you still use XP (lol why) chances are you're a casual user so it doesn't matter anyway.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]Upgrading to 7 is something that I think most people already should've done. I personally can't see why anyone would want to switch to windows 8. It's worse in every way compared to windows 7 unless you have a touch screen device.deeliman
Not really, windows 8 has faster start up and load times and the os uses less resources, plus if you really don't like the metro ui(like me) you could always download classic shell and get the normal start menu back.

Yeah, there are actually a lot of new features in Win8 besides the new start menu that are big improvements over 7. People complain about Win 8 constantly, but every complaint I've ever seen has been about the UI and pretty much nothing else.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

the_bi99man

It's not difficult but it is somewhat expensive. For XP or Vista Basic you can't just buy the cheaper upgrade kit, you need to buy the full OS. It's reasonable to assume the specs on your XP computer are ancient and 7 will work pretty shitty on it.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OrkHammer007

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]What? :?

Hexagon_777

Upgrading the operating system, like you suggested, seems like a far more viable move than going ahead and buying a whole new computer, although for the common man it will still involve the spending of monies. Saying that people are more than due for a new computer after four years is ridiculous, though. I agree that you shouldn't expect that of Microsoft, but a whole new computer after four years = no.

I think what he meant was:

XP is "ancient" in OS terms. If you skipped out on Vista, and haven't purchased a PC since XP's twilight days (when it stopped being installed on new retail machines, in 2007), you are more than due for a replacement machine.

In the years since XP's "middle age," low-end PCs have gotten a lot more powerful. Multi-core processors, larger-capacity HDDs, more RAM... none of which is supported by old XP, amnd 64-bit XP just never caught on (I've heard the horror stories).

Also, modern devices need drivers, and the best drivers at this moment are written for Vista/7/8 (in my professional opinion).

Ideally, you should have bought a PC with 7. Word-of-mouth for 8 was never positive, and that should have pushed those on the fencevto jump on 7 before the switch-over (/I just made it by a month).

As far as cost... if all you do is surf the web, check up on Facebook, and troll YouTube comments, a cheap upgrade isn't out of the question. I've seen laptops as cheap as $239, capable of doing the bare necessities without killing a budget. Put it on layaway, pay it off over 6-7 months, and you get an "upgrade" to 8 without going bankrupt.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

OrkHammer007

XP is "ancient" in OS terms. If you skipped out on Vista, and haven't purchased a PC since XP's twilight days (when it stopped being installed on new retail machines, in 2007), you are more than due for a replacement machine.

In the years since XP's "middle age," low-end PCs have gotten a lot more powerful. Multi-core processors, larger-capacity HDDs, more RAM... none of which is supported by old XP, amnd 64-bit XP just never caught on (I've heard the horror stories).

Also, modern devices need drivers, and the best drivers at this moment are written for Vista/7/8 (in my professional opinion).

Ideally, you should have bought a PC with 7. Word-of-mouth for 8 was never positive, and that should have pushed those on the fencevto jump on 7 before the switch-over (/I just made it by a month).

As far as cost... if all you do is surf the web, check up on Facebook, and troll YouTube comments, a cheap upgrade isn't out of the question. I've seen laptops as cheap as $239, capable of doing the bare necessities without killing a budget. Put it on layaway, pay it off over 6-7 months, and you get an "upgrade" to 8 without going bankrupt.

Pretty much. Thanks. :P

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OrkHammer007

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]Upgrading the operating system, like you suggested, seems like a far more viable move than going ahead and buying a whole new computer, although for the common man it will still involve the spending of monies. Saying that people are more than due for a new computer after four years is ridiculous, though. I agree that you shouldn't expect that of Microsoft, but a whole new computer after four years = no.

the_bi99man

In the years since XP's "middle age," low-end PCs have gotten a lot more powerful. Multi-core processors, larger-capacity HDDs, more RAM... none of which is supported by old XP, and 64-bit XP just never caught on (I've heard the horror stories).

Pretty much. Thanks. :P

No proble. It's what I tell the less tech-savvy of my friends and family, so I got the gist almost immediately.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

OrkHammer007

That makes sense. I bought this laptop pretty much four years ago and it was running Windows Vista. Upgraded it to Windows 7 three years ago and haven't yet bothered upgrading it to a Linux distro of choice due to laziness, but it still handles my around 30 tabs in Firefox just fine.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
lol, why the hell are people still using a 12 year old OS? You haven't been able to buy a computer with XP on it retail for years and years. Time to get some modern technology in those households.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hexagon_777

lol, why the hell are people still using a 12 year old OS? You haven't been able to buy a computer with XP on it retail for years and years. Time to get some modern technology in those households. ferrari2001
If it suits their needs just fine and they see no reason to make a financial investment to change that, why do so?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]lol, why the hell are people still using a 12 year old OS? You haven't been able to buy a computer with XP on it retail for years and years. Time to get some modern technology in those households. Hexagon_777

If it suits their needs just fine and they see no reason to make a financial investment to change that, why do so?

At this point, they should have moved onto Linux if we're talking about hardware THAT old but still functional.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-byshop

deeliman

Because it's too expensive to buy a new PC, it costs money to upgrade, and your old PC doesn't have the specs for an upgrade.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theone86

lol, why the hell are people still using a 12 year old OS? You haven't been able to buy a computer with XP on it retail for years and years. Time to get some modern technology in those households. ferrari2001

My PC is around seven years old.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

R.I.P then.:(

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]lol, why the hell are people still using a 12 year old OS? You haven't been able to buy a computer with XP on it retail for years and years. Time to get some modern technology in those households. Hexagon_777

Probably one of the many reasons stealing someone's identity is so incredibly easy now days. Any half-baked hacker could exploit a security flaw in xp. Ignorance of technology should be no excuse to at least stay somewhat recent on your technological needs if for no other reason then to protect yourself and your private information. Now that microsoft has stopped fixing flaws it's only going to get worse to. What's worse is a large number of businesses are still using xp. Places that deal with other people's info are using and operating system that doesn't provide adequate protection of that information.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]lol, why the hell are people still using a 12 year old OS? You haven't been able to buy a computer with XP on it retail for years and years. Time to get some modern technology in those households. coolbeans90

At this point, they should have moved onto Linux if we're talking about hardware THAT old but still functional.

Don't be ridiculous. Linux is for hackers and completely unuseable for the general public. What if someone hacks the NSA by accident? What then? Can't expect the average Joe to deal that high above their paygrade.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]If it suits their needs just fine and they see no reason to make a financial investment to change that, why do so?

Hexagon_777

Don't be ridiculous. Linux is for hackers and completely unuseable for the general public. What if someone hacks the NSA by accident? What then? Can't expect the average Joe to deal that high above their paygrade.

Hopefully they'll have mined enough Bitcoins to make it over the border.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Guys, we shall resist!!! We still have some XP left!
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
It's cool, elementary OS is out and so gosh darn easy to use.Hexagon_777
....I don't know what his problem is but I've never had an issue with windows fighting with me....and why is it a whole sale rip off of apple os?
stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I have never paid for a new OS. I just buy a new PC every 5 years and it comes with the new one pre installed. LOL at people who buy new OS's.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

W8 isn't all that bad.

Faster than W7 which is good for pc gamers. Just a terrible interface that I will never use unless I had a touchscreen ultrabook.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 worlock77

I have never paid for a new OS. I just buy a new PC every 5 years and it comes with the new one pre installed. LOL at people who buy new OS's.

stuff238

You do realize that you're paying for that OS in the cost of the PC right?

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

It was almost a year and a half ago that I finally upgraded to Windows 7 from the extremely outdated XP (and it really was quite slow with the increasing hardware requirements).

Best thing I ever did.

I'm totally skipping Windows 8, though. That's why it took me so long to upgrade, because I just simply won't need to until it starts showing its age.