Male or female protagonist, and why?

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#102 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidprime55"]I feel like this is some trap to accuse people of being sexist. Anyway, I personally prefer a male protagonist but I don't mind a female protagonist either, it's just that I usually make male characters when I come up with stories but I feel like that's partially because I'm a guy.Fightingfan
You can't have any sort of positive opinion on your sex, or you're sexist. It's like racism, prefer your race you're racist!

This is why you're a sh1t poster.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#103 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Female. I feel they got more to proove on average, and it's a lot more fun to watch when they do so successfully.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="metroidprime55"]I feel like this is some trap to accuse people of being sexist. Anyway, I personally prefer a male protagonist but I don't mind a female protagonist either, it's just that I usually make male characters when I come up with stories but I feel like that's partially because I'm a guy.ghoklebutter
You can't have any sort of positive opinion on your sex, or you're sexist. It's like racism, prefer your race you're racist!

Probably because that actually is sexism and racism, respectively.

Racism is the hatred towards other races, I prefer Spanish women because I was raised during my childhood in Latin America, so naturally I share things more with people of the same cultural background, it's human nature to want to spend time with people you share common interest with.

*I could careless what the color of your skin is, mine's white, but I wouldn't be excepted into a "white culture", my names's not even in English.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="metroidprime55"]I feel like this is some trap to accuse people of being sexist. Anyway, I personally prefer a male protagonist but I don't mind a female protagonist either, it's just that I usually make male characters when I come up with stories but I feel like that's partially because I'm a guy.Deihjan

You're sexist when you claim you're better than others, simply because you have a Y chromosome. You're racist when you claim you are superior as a white man than any other kind of 'tone' of skin there is available.

I'm claiming the life of a male is superior, not that my sex is superior. The second statement might not apply to me?
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Female. I feel they got more to proove on average, and it's a lot more fun to watch when they do so successfully.

sune_Gem

They don't have anything to prove...

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

I'll take either if given the option. Even though a lot of games have male protagonists, I still lean twoards choosing them if I have a choice, but I'll also choose female characters on different playthroughs.

Jade (or Shauni) from Beyond Good & Evil is an awesome (and tasteful) protagonist.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Ilovegames1992

Made me laugh.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I'll take either if given the option. Even though a lot of games have male protagonists, I still lean twoards choosing them if I have a choice, but I'll also choose female characters on different playthroughs.

Jade (or Shauni) from Beyond Good & Evil is an awesome (and tasteful) protagonist.

Spitfirer

I always find women characters to be excellent foils to the main character, male or female.

But then, i never really like the main character when there is a rag tag bunch thing going or its a story with a constant group. No idea why.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

The life of a man is obviously superior, while being male not be, the life sure as hell is. Stronger, smarter(Bigger brain), left brain dominate(The side that matters), get paid more. etc..

Fightingfan

First, being stronger doesn't necessarily make your life good. Second, intelligence only correlates with brain size (there's no causal link). Third, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assert that you don't really know about the characteristics of brain hemispheres. Lastly, higher pay is a socioeconomic problem that can be solved.

1. I agree, not in today's society(no point actually).

2. The difference in brain size isn't significant enough, but test have shown the average man has a higher IQ then the average women.

*Though you'd have to bring into account how many people were used to justify the numbers, and IQ doesn't really translate into intelligence.

3. Not really a point here you're just throwing assertions.

4. I'm aware, for example women don't do construction, special forces, Athletes(NFL,NBA,MLB)

*Women athletes don't get paid sh*t in comparison to men.

2. Well, no disagreement there. I'm highly skeptical of any standardized test of intelligence.

3. Left-hemisphere domination is just as significant as right-hemisphere domination - you can't really say one is better than the other. That's absurd, I mean you can't really define "better" in this case anyway.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidprime55"]I feel like this is some trap to accuse people of being sexist. Anyway, I personally prefer a male protagonist but I don't mind a female protagonist either, it's just that I usually make male characters when I come up with stories but I feel like that's partially because I'm a guy.Fightingfan

Uh, no. I'm saying I probably have more of a tendency towards male protagonists because I can relate to them better since I'm also a guy.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] First, being stronger doesn't necessarily make your life good. Second, intelligence only correlates with brain size (there's no causal link). Third, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assert that you don't really know about the characteristics of brain hemispheres. Lastly, higher pay is a socioeconomic problem that can be solved.ghoklebutter

1. I agree, not in today's society(no point actually).

2. The difference in brain size isn't significant enough, but test have shown the average man has a higher IQ then the average women.

*Though you'd have to bring into account how many people were used to justify the numbers, and IQ doesn't really translate into intelligence.

3. Not really a point here you're just throwing assertions.

4. I'm aware, for example women don't do construction, special forces, Athletes(NFL,NBA,MLB)

*Women athletes don't get paid sh*t in comparison to men.

2. Well, no disagreement there. I'm highly skeptical of any standardized test of intelligence.

3. Left-hemisphere domination is just as significant as right-hemisphere domination - you can't really say one is better than the other. That's absurd, I mean you can't really define "better" in this case anyway.

Oh. Then looks like we're at a stalemate :P

I did spread my personal opinion on "Side that matters" part, I just dislike art, music(not all of course)anything artistic for that matter.

I find it a waste of time in regards to the money making process because realistically even though I've played the Sax for four years, I'm not gonna be the next Kenny G.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#113 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Ilovegames1992

Trying not to sound like a terrible person, but there are men out there who feel they're superior to women. Even when it's through the form of media entertainment I find it satisfying to see the woman prove the underestimating male wrong in what ever fashion the film potrays. I find it a more satisfying victory to view.

Man: Who's there?
Woman: ...
Man: Why it's just a little girl, you lost little girly?
Woman : *Proceeds to throughly beat the snot out of the man in a over the top fight session*
Me: "OWNED!"

There's an example. :P

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#114 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Depends.. when it's about action i rather have a male because female protagonist in action movies or books are like untouchable gods and that's just not fun.. because directors and authors don't have the heart to show a female getting beaten up when she's the protagonist. It's always entertaining to watch that male character suffer defeat and defeat and beaten up and overcome that pain.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Spitfirer

I also want to add that if a female protagonist gets an air pump to her chest, I can't take her seriously. At all.

DumbDonald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 DumbDonald
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

The life of a man is obviously superior, while being male not be, the life sure as hell is. Stronger, smarter(Bigger brain), left brain dominate(The side that matters), get paid more. etc..

Fightingfan
If I may disagree, I know alot of females stronger and more intelligent than I am as well as men. I think you are putting too much stock into stereotypes but I admit I am rather uneducated on the subject and my only source of knowledge is my own personal experience.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Spitfirer
TBH in most games the characters are pretty genderless, they just switch out the models.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

DumbDonald

If I may disagree, I know alot of females stronger and more intelligent than I am as well as men. I think you are putting too much stock into stereotypes but I admit I am rather uneducated on the subject and my only source of knowledge is my own personal experience.

I was generalizing in that post, I was speaking for men/women as a "whole"

. I was speaking mainly genetics in that post.

For example.

A women can never and I mean NEVER obtain the physque(strength) of Arnold Schwarzenegger/Lou Ferrigno. Intelligence is a whole different ball back, because you have that whole "nature VS nuture" debate that can influence that, among other things.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Spitfirer

There are differences, albeit subtle, with the Fallout games (maybe with the exception of Fallout 3). It's also immersion - I actually feel as if I'm playing as the gender of the main character. But that might just be me.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts

There are differences, albeit subtle, with the Fallout games (maybe with the exception of Fallout 3). It's also immersion - I actually feel as if I'm playing as the gender of the main character. But that might just be me.

Spitfirer
Well, there are the different perks in male and female characters in fallout.. Black widow ftw.
Mega-Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Mega-Mustaine
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

I don't care. After age 7, sex ceased to be a factor on whether or not I liked the protagonist.

Although, I will admit I prefer to play females in games that allow you to choose your gender, but only because I can relate.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="DumbDonald"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] If I may disagree, I know alot of females stronger and more intelligent than I am as well as men. I think you are putting too much stock into stereotypes but I admit I am rather uneducated on the subject and my only source of knowledge is my own personal experience.

I'ld always bet on the male body builder in an arm wrestle over the female. Women are quite often put in the intelligent role these days playing doctors and the like.
[QUOTE="markop2003"]Who the hell does that sorta thing?!?!?Deihjan
A guy who thought it was a brilliant idea to bully me. Because I retorted back he went physical. And so did I.

Dang... I'm sorry hun...I can't think of any guy doing that to a girl at my old school
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Spitfirer

[QUOTE="Spitfirer"]

Deihjan

Well, there are the different perks in male and female characters in fallout.. Black widow ftw.

You get an awesome dialog option with "Deadeye" Ricky with that perk.

I also love the option to make your character bisexual, opening up numerous ways to kill Chandler as a male or female.

DumbDonald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 DumbDonald
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="markop2003"] If I may disagree, I know alot of females stronger and more intelligent than I am as well as men. I think you are putting too much stock into stereotypes but I admit I am rather uneducated on the subject and my only source of knowledge is my own personal experience.

That sounds about right, I admit I am not very well versed on the subject matter of this topic. I just find it hard to believe that women are inferior to men in every-way vice versa.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

This didn't go well. Sexism is bad for the mind, body, soul, and what lies betwixt and between, ok?