Lets get to the bottom of this. Are you a filthy VEGAN?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

hardwenzen  Online

Poll Lets get to the bottom of this. Are you a filthy VEGAN? (43 votes)

Yes 2%
ABSOLUTELY! 5%
No 51%
Hell no. NEVER. 42%

I am annoyed as hell when i hear someone explaining to me why its a good thing to be a vegan. It triggers me to the core. In fact, a flat earther is more OK with me than a vegan that tries to stealth convert you into one.

So who is vegan? Show yourselves.

• 
Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 687 Posts

I am basically a vegan. Except for for milk, and eggs.

And of course some cheese and butter.

And the my daily course of beef and chicken (which are basically plants if you think about it)

But I do abstain from bacon occasionally.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

I am not a vegan, but sometimes follow vegan diets for a few days due to church celebrations or practices, such as how some Catholics won’t eat meat for several days around Easter time etc.

But apart from that, I eat meat.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

No, nor do I have any interest. I don't overly consume meat, but it is a staple of my diet for medical reasons.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23036 Posts

Nah, a body is just a vehicle for the mind, and my brain deserves a smooth and luxurious ride.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

I'm a proud member of People Eat Tasty Animals.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16005 Posts

I feel you. It can be just as bad as religious fundamentalism. I eat meat and I have no desire to change that.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

Nobody's ever mentioned it to me. Maybe you give off some kind of vibe?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@hardwenzen: I tried it once and it was brutal. There's a lot of benefits to eating a mostly plant based diet though, no denying that.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38905 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: I tried it once and it was brutal. There's a lot of benefits to eating a mostly plant based diet though, no denying that.

Name me those benefits cuz every single vegan i know (and i know a few cyclists), they're permanently flaccid.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: ohh you're a cyclist? That's great, i also love to bike. I thought you just sat around and trolled all day.

There's a bunch of studies out there, and it's generally accepted that eating a mainly whole food, natural plant based diet is one of the best ways to live a long and healthy life. All the longest lived populations, or the blue zones have a few things in common, that is they mainly eat a plant based diet for a majority of the time, and they get tons of exercise.

The standard American diet is a ticket to an early grave. Let me say im not a vegan...I just literally ate wings and pizza for the superbowl game, but I'm not going to hate on people who do things for their health.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen  Online

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: ohh you're a cyclist? That's great, i also love to bike. I thought you just sat around and trolled all day.

There's a bunch of studies out there, and it's generally accepted that eating a mainly whole food, natural plant based diet is one of the best ways to live a long and healthy life. All the longest lived populations, or the blue zones have a few things in common, that is they mainly eat a plant based diet for a majority of the time, and they get tons of exercise.

The standard American diet is a ticket to an early grave. Let me say im not a vegan...I just literally ate wings and pizza for the superbowl game, but I'm not going to hate on people who do things for their health.

The hell. I do mountain biking since i was a kid. I also do as much bass fishing irl as i do gaming. So yea, far from just sitting on my ass and troll 343i🤡

And i don't believe any of your studies. If you cook your own meat, there's NO CHANCE that eating nothing but grass is healthier. But if you're eating nothing but processed meat, then sure, that's a completely different story.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blaznwiipspman1

@hardwenzen: I'm genuinely surprised that you do those things and I'm happy for you. I thought you generally just trolled and 🤡.

I'm not trying to convince you bro, and I don't care either way. It's just what the evidence points to. And yeah, processed meat is probably the worst thing of them all, right next to the processed sugary food.

End of the day, everything in moderation, that's the important thing in my opinion.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen  Online

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: I'm genuinely surprised that you do those things and I'm happy for you. I thought you generally just trolled and 🤡.

I'm not trying to convince you bro, and I don't care either way. It's just what the evidence points to. And yeah, processed meat is probably the worst thing of them all, right next to the processed sugary food.

End of the day, everything in moderation, that's the important thing in my opinion.

To be honest with you, i feel like you're trying to stealth convert me like my cyclist friends. I refuse to give in.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I am not a vegan, but eating more plants doesn't trigger me either.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

I'm a vegetarian, mainly because I like animals. Being vegan is way too much effort.

But yeah, I grew up in a very left-leaning city, I have an undergraduate Arts degree, I know heaps of vegetarians and vegans, and I have never met a single vegan who ever tried to preach to people or protest things. It's a weird meme arising from a few bad attention-seekers.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@nirgal said:

I am basically a vegan. Except for for milk, and eggs.

And of course some cheese and butter.

And the my daily course of beef and chicken (which are basically plants if you think about it)

But I do abstain from bacon occasionally.

I mean, that still counts. Beef and chicken eat vegetables, so by eating them, we are also eating vegetables.

You know what they say, you are what the thing you eat eats!

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

In all seriousness, I've actually eaten the odd vegan meal, and if done right, I don't mind it. Samosas, pad thai with fried tofu instead of chicken, etc.

I couldn't do it for every meal, but once in a while I don't mind it.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3415 Posts

I love meat but I eat much less nowadays. I can't just ignore how fucking horribly the animals are treated. So I reduced my meat consumption and try to get it from free range sources. Also, one meal a day, usually lunch, I eat vegetarian.

On occasion I won't eat meat for a couple of months until I feel the urge for it again. I do a lot of exercise and I can't say that I feel any difference in terms of performance, with or without meat.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 687 Posts

@appariti0n: you, my friend, are a wise man.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts

Well... I had fries to the chicken wings... That counts, right?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23926 Posts

Vegan for 2 years. Ate delicious Ramen today!

Also 12% answered yes or absolutely? Woohoo! Most countries lean at around 4%

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maroxad
@Planeforger said:

I'm a vegetarian, mainly because I like animals. Being vegan is way too much effort.

But yeah, I grew up in a very left-leaning city, I have an undergraduate Arts degree, I know heaps of vegetarians and vegans, and I have never met a single vegan who ever tried to preach to people or protest things. It's a weird meme arising from a few bad attention-seekers.

Yeah from my experience, even prior to vegan, I never met a vegan particularly talk about it other htan in passing. Personally, I prefer to lead by example, making delicious food for the homeless.

That said: Bringing up that I was vegan was hilarious, when a certain troll (wont say their name), got really upset about it.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I'm not vegan. My sister is, and she is also a gluten freek for some reason (she's not allergic or anything), so if I wanna cook for us it has to be vegan. It comes down to one thing basically, a kind of chickpeas and almonds stew. That's what's bothers me about vegans, their fundamentalism. I can eat vegan food from time to time, sure, even though I'm not one of them, but for them to eat something with animal ingredients? No way.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Don’t mind if somebody’s vegan, it’s their choice. I do react when I see/hear forcing their life choice - any life choice - on others, particularly the vegans who feed their dogs/cats/infants a diet which isn’t suited to them.

Closest thing to a vegan meal I can handle is a good Carbonara. As long as the guanciale is good and crispy.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

I am not vegan, nor do I know any vegans.

However, as I have gotten older I have reduced consumption of meat as a % of my intake and significantly increased fruit and vegetables. I have also cut out a huge % of my refined sugar intake.

The result is I am healthier and more active in my 60s than I was in my 40s or 50s and I am back to the weight I was in the military in my 20s and early 30s.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:

Now i get your opinions about ER.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

Some of my friends and I were bothered by a group of malnourished activists outside a Taco Bell once. My friend proceeded to smear his beef burrito in the loudmouths face. We all laughed while they cried. Good times.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

What if there is no bottom? You ever think of that? Hmm?

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 486 Posts

No, I love plants and animals equally.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

Now i get your opinions about ER.

Me disliking games that waste my time has nothing to do with my veganism. I am vegan primarily due to animal rights concerns,

• Animal Rights: The way animal agriculture works is inconsistant with my ideals and beliefs. And I am no hypocrite.
  • Human Rights: The way animal agriculture hurts specific communities is inconsistant with my values.
  • Sustainability: Animal agriculture is a driving, if not the driving force behind the biodiversity collapse we see today.
  • Environmental Reasons: I don't drive a car, I don't take flights, and yes, I also do not use animal products.
  • Fear of Disease: I don't want another COVID incident. Especially not the Avian Flu
  • Libertarian beliefs: I don't want the government to spend a dime on me. Use that taxpayer money elsewhere.

And now I guess I have a new reason: It annoys you.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58336 Posts

Not vegan, but I emphasize vegetables in my cooking. Sometimes I'll do my meal prep and accidentally cook vegetarian or mostly vegetarian because I made a lentil soup and a chopped vegetable salad.

Not a big fan of beef outside of the occasional braise or stew; tend to stick to chicken and fish. My steak days are behind me, for better or worse.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I already mentioned what I didn't like about vegans, but then I remembered this joke and I realized I forgot to mention that it's what I like about them - they're good joke material. And laughter is the best medicine. So thank you for healing my soul, guys!

Loading Video...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen  Online

@appariti0n said:

In all seriousness, I've actually eaten the odd vegan meal, and if done right, I don't mind it. Samosas, pad thai with fried tofu instead of chicken, etc.

I couldn't do it for every meal, but once in a while I don't mind it.

Eating a vegan meal is not being a vegan lol. I've ate plenty of vegan meals, and LOVE Samosas myself, but its just wrong when this is your life, and the best burger you will ever eat, is a damn immitation of the real deal. Its just sad lol

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

Eating a vegan meal is not being a vegan lol. I've ate plenty of vegan meals, and LOVE Samosas myself, but its just wrong when this is your life, and the best burger you will ever eat, is a damn immitation of the real deal. Its just sad lol

So junk food? Nothing of value is lost in my diet :D

I don't like junk, whether that is Junk Food or Junk Video Games. Give me pure quality, games that emphasize skill like fighting games such as Tekken 8. Give me foods that are rich in taste and diverse in flavors, one that you will remember past 5 minutes (Such as a good Risoni salad).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

I don't like junk, whether that is Junk Food or Junk Video Games. Give me pure quality, games that emphasize skill like fighting games such as Tekken 8. Give me foods that are rich in taste and diverse in flavors. Not a meal you forget in 5 minutes (like a burger).

I wouldn't use the McDonald burger in this comparison...

I've tried one vegan burger. Far easier to cook. I mean there was no mess. Will eat again.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1349 Posts

Definitely not a vegan and have zero interest in it for myself. I understand why some people commit to it but for me with my lifestyle and goals in the gym I need meat and high protein content, it’s just easier to get that from meat than a vegan diet. I do eat lots of vegetables and fruits, and do 1–3 veggie juices a day so I can get the nutrients from them as well though.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8425 Posts

I tried vegetarian for a couple years, some odd years ago when I was with a woman that was vegetarian.

I didn't have a problem with it and it challenged me to be more creative with the food I ordered and raised my appreciation when restaurants actually put effort in their vegetarian options.

The problem I have with vegans is how many of them like to go all authoritarian over their own lifestyle while looking unhealthy all the same. I really don't know how I can take a vegan seriously when much of the ones I've encountered look like greasy hippies and skinny as a toothpick, looking like they can barely carry their own weight.

I've heard outlandish arguments from these people, like "humans were never meant to consume meat." I'd love to hear where they got these facts from.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Maroxad
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

I don't like junk, whether that is Junk Food or Junk Video Games. Give me pure quality, games that emphasize skill like fighting games such as Tekken 8. Give me foods that are rich in taste and diverse in flavors. Not a meal you forget in 5 minutes (like a burger).

I've tried one vegan burger. Far easier to cook. I mean there was no mess. Will eat again.

Haha. Glad you enjoyedit.

Just not a fan of burgers :P If anything, I am not a fan of junk food in general, they can be addicting, but they are bland and lack much in the way of aftertaste. So there is absolutely nothing to savour after the meal. Making junk food just really underwhelming in general.

I can still remember my lunch and dinner everyday this week,

Monday Lunch: Noodles with chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans. And a very hot sauce
Monday Dinner: Stir fry with some imitation meat I had left over.

Tuesday: Japanese Curry with Tempeh, red lentils, and 14 different veggies.
Tuesday Dinner: Ate leftovers from the above meal. Replacing the Tempeh with a variety of beans.

Wednesday Lunch: Ceasar salad with Seitan.
Wednesday Dinner: Baked Sweet Potatoes with carrot, cauliflower, brocolli, peas, red pepper, onions and a bunch of other veggies. With Tofu and Falafel.

Today Lunch: Avoo
Today Dinner: Haven't eaten dinner yet. Will eat something high in protein though. To reward my body after carrying my new gaming desktop for a distance of 5km. Upgraded almost everything in my gaming PC. Everything in my PC has been replaced save for my 1070 graphics card, which I still see no reason to replace. 😎

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6849 Posts

No. But I wouldn't mind substituting some meat for non-meat sources as long as it provides the nutrients I need and tastes good. A good friend of mine went vegan a few years ago and he looks great! Lost a bunch of weight but is trim. He made a jackfruit pulled pork thingy for the Super Bowl. I was surprised how tasty it was.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad said:
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

Just not a fan of burgers :P Upgraded almost everything in my gaming PC. Everything in my PC has been replaced save for my 1070 graphics card, which I still see no reason to replace. 😎

Burgers aren't always "fast food" imo. Cooking it at home and it sure doesn't feel like fast food. Isn't it mostly the dressing that make burgers unhealthy?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59005 Posts

Use to work in a slaughter house (as a cleaner) but saw how it was done, and it was very professional in nature. The animals die fast and clean, cleaner than humans i've seen die.

However this isn't a universal thing obviously , lot of places that treat animals terrible in the name of cheaper profit. Not just in the butchery itself but the feed and holdings.

As a kid use to hate vegetables but now far more open to them and can happily take them over meat.

Having said that, will happily eat meat and see nothing wrong with it when curated properly.

Scotland is one of the most sustainable and reputable places in the world to produce beef, lamb and pork. From animal welfare and sustainability measures, right through to the meat that makes it on to the plate, Scotch is red meat produced to an uncompromisingly high standard.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Maroxad
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

Just not a fan of burgers :P Upgraded almost everything in my gaming PC. Everything in my PC has been replaced save for my 1070 graphics card, which I still see no reason to replace. 😎

Burgers aren't always "fast food" imo. Cooking it at home and it sure doesn't feel like fast food. Isn't it mostly the dressing that make burgers unhealthy?

As I am not a dietician, I will not be making health claims.

I just dont like burgers because they just aren't that tasty. They lack any kind of lasting impact like a good curry would. Burgers, just don't stimulate my tastebuds enough. When I ate a burger, I might get a brief dopamine kick, but never any real satisfaction.

In a sense, they are like RPGs in that regard. The numbers going up give me a dopamine kick. But because their skill ceilings tend to be so low, I never get the satisfaction from actually being good like I would in a shooter or fighting game. Where a good round I can leave me satisfied for hours.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad said:
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

I just dont like burgers because they just aren't that tasty. They lack any kind of lasting impact like a good curry would. Burgers, just don't stimulate my tastebuds enough.

Oh. So you are just a typical vegan. :P

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Maroxad
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

I just dont like burgers because they just aren't that tasty. They lack any kind of lasting impact like a good curry would. Burgers, just don't stimulate my tastebuds enough.

Hehe, but on a serious note, I wish people (including vegans) would stop making medical takes in areas they have no expertise in. In this case it is best to swallow one's pride and just listen to the experts. Nutrition discourse on Twitter is a complete mess. I end up muting over half the people on Twitter, because they are obviously full of nonsense. And worse, they are willfully ignorant.

On that topic, expert consensus on vegan diets is quite clear: They can be really healthful, provided that you ensure to consume sources of B12 and calcium (For me, I consume Tofu, and pea milk for calciium, get B12 through Nooch). USNews ranks the most healthful diets every year. This year Vegan came at #10. These rankings are done by leading dietitians, so I say they are trustworthy.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17661 Posts

Hell no, animals are too delicious! I could never give up a good fat steak, bacon, you kidding?

….but I am for the ethical raising and treatment of them.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts
@Maroxad said:
@horgen said:
@Maroxad said:

Hehe, but on a serious note, I wish people (including vegans) would stop making medical takes in areas they have no expertise in. In this case it is best to swallow one's pride and just listen to the experts. Nutrition discourse on Twitter is a complete mess. I end up muting over half the people on Twitter, because they are obviously full of nonsense. And worse, they are willfully ignorant.

On that topic, expert consensus on vegan diets is quite clear: They can be really healthful, provided that you ensure to consume sources of B12 and calcium (For me, I consume Tofu, and pea milk for calciium, get B12 through Nooch). USNews ranks the most healthful diets every year. This year Vegan came at #10. These rankings are done by leading dietitians, so I say they are trustworthy.

Pea milk sounds delish!

Sad to see balanced diet get screwed again in the charts. Booo! :(

Although Mediterranean diet does indeed reign supreme, it's freaking expensive unless you live in the Mediterranean, or somewhere similar. But fish is good, fish is cheap. Do vegetarians and vegans eat fish? (I think most probably sneak in the odd sardine - I know I would!)

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Maroxad
@sancho_panzer said:

Pea milk sounds delish!

Sad to see balanced diet get screwed again in the charts. Booo! :(

Although Mediterranean diet does indeed reign supreme, it's freaking expensive unless you live in the Mediterranean, or somewhere similar. But fish is good, fish is cheap. Do vegetarians and vegans eat fish? (I think most probably sneak in the odd sardine - I know I would!)

All the high ranking diets (and diet plans in the case of weight watchersr and Mayo Clinic) are balanced :)

Pea milk is delicious, albeit a bit expensive. You are right though that it sucks that meditteranean can be really expensive outside of the meditteranean. I wish governmentst would subsidize less junk food in general. Why are we subsidizing corn syrup, and not more healthful crops? Why are we subsidizing all these known carcinogens (bacon, processed red meats) as opposed to fish which has been known to be really healthful?

I actually made a thread back in the days on how to counter public obesity, and one of my points backc there was how we need to start subsidizing more in healthful foods and make healthy food more widely accessible (food deserts).

As for fish, there is always pescetarians ;) People who abstain from eating meat, save for fish.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

Absolutely not, I like my meat, dairy, eggs, and honey.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1862 Posts

No. I've eaten a vegan breakfast and snack before. Like simply grabbing an apple or an orange on my way out, or making a green smoothie. Or having apple slices with almond butter.

Though I don't eat vegan food for lunch or dinner. I probably could if I actually tried. Like okra and tomatoes over rice. I actually love the thought of that meal.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts

No. I do eat quite a lot of food without meat, but I don't think I'll ever be a vegan.