Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

User Lists: 0

#1 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

First of all, I'm 15 years old, so their music is relatively new to me (I have listen to most of their songs/ albums though). They are my two favorite 70's bands. I can't choose for myself which one I like more. Whenever I start thinking I like one, I listen to the other and can't decide. Pink Floyd has 3 of my favorite albums of all time (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall), while Led Zeppelin's 4th album is equalling amazing. As for individual songs, LZ has more that I listen too, and I think Robert Plant's voice is better. However, PF's orchestrated sound is a contrast to LZ's rawer tone, and even the long sections of their albums where there are no lyrics is breathtaking. Overall, I was just wondering who you thought was a better band and why.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
I would give the edge to Pink Floyd. I think that they were a bit more consistent with the quality of their releases.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I'd have to go with Zeppelin. But that's probably just because I grew up on Zeppelin. Pink Floyd is still awesome, but I mean, Misy Mountain Hop, Over the Hills and Far Away, The Rain Song, Ramble On, When the Levee Breaks...just too good. Too good.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Man, two of my top five bands. :) However, you can probably guess my number one. :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Led Zeppelin didn't make Comfortably Numb.

/thread

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Well, these are pretty much the only two "classic rock" bands that I can tolerate. I guess that Pink Floyd would be my favorite of the two.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

/thread

Pink Floyd didn't make Led Zeppelin IV. de/thread
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GabuEx

But seriously... both are great bands. I'd just have to give the edge to Pink Floyd on account of the fact that a number of my favorite songs ever (Comfortably Numb, Sorrow, Run Like Hell, Wish You Were Here) were made by them, whereas I've always liked Led Zeppelin but never to the point of calling them the best band ever.

And Comfortably Numb's guitar solo pwns Stairway to Heaven's. :P

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
Zeppelin for teh win!
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

/thread

come on gabu, now comfortably numb isnt even PF's best song or close, IMO its not even in the same league as dogs, echoes, shine on you crazy diamond , atom heart mother suite. on the terms of the thread.. congratz on listening to real, good music OP. i was listening to the same bands when i was 15 as well, when it comes to pink floyd young sir. make sure you listen to the entire albums, dont just listen to the top songs on the itunes list or w/e.. and dont just stick to darkside oft he moon and the wall, get wish you were here and animals ( my two favorite cd's of the floyd).. when your done with them get meddle , its worth it for echoes alone but one of these days is amazing too, fianally heart mother when it comes to Led zeppelin vs pink floyd, this is apples vs oranges... Pink floyd - one of the first prog bands and extemely experimental, Led Zeppelin - one of the first hard rock bands that revolutionized rock sound... both great for their respective music styles.. which are both soo far different from eachcother to really compare. both bands are VITAL rock music listening.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
pink floyd for making the wall, dsotm, and wish you were here.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nimatoad2000
where is the lack of love for Animals. soo underrated .. my favorite PF album. it blew me away the first time i listened to it and still does.. and even though i have strayed from rock to metal over the years, animals stil remains dear to my heart.
gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts

where is the lack of love for Animals. soo underrated .. my favorite PF album. it blew me away the first time i listened to it and still does.. and even though i have strayed from rock to metal over the years, animals stil remains dear to my heart.nimatoad2000

It's not my favorite but it's definitely underrated. I love the guitars on that album... so perfect.

don't care for Zeppelin at all so my vote goes to PF.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Why do we have to pick? Can't we just listen to both and love both equally?
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
where is the lack of love for Animals. soo underrated .. my favorite PF album. it blew me away the first time i listened to it and still does.. and even though i have strayed from rock to metal over the years, animals stil remains dear to my heart.nimatoad2000
ive always meant to get that album, but i grew out of classic rock before i did.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Zeppelin
en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts
Pink Floyd. I used to listen to both artists a lot (back in middle school), but haven't done so in quite some time. Led Zeppelin's music just doesn't have that 'catchiness' to it, I feel. They've got great songs like Stairway to Heaven, Going to California, etc., but I just can't get into most of the songs anymore. On the other hand, I can always (if I wanted) get back and listen to selections from Dark Side of the Moon, or The Wall, or Wish You Were Here.
InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

/thread

come on gabu, now comfortably numb isnt even PF's best song or close, IMO its not even in the same league as dogs, echoes, shine on you crazy diamond , atom heart mother suite. on the terms of the thread.. congratz on listening to real, good music OP. i was listening to the same bands when i was 15 as well, when it comes to pink floyd young sir. make sure you listen to the entire albums, dont just listen to the top songs on the itunes list or w/e.. and dont just stick to darkside oft he moon and the wall, get wish you were here and animals ( my two favorite cd's of the floyd).. when your done with them get meddle , its worth it for echoes alone but one of these days is amazing too, fianally heart mother when it comes to Led zeppelin vs pink floyd, this is apples vs oranges... Pink floyd - one of the first prog bands and extemely experimental, Led Zeppelin - one of the first hard rock bands that revolutionized rock sound... both great for their respective music styles.. which are both soo far different from eachcother to really compare. both bands are VITAL rock music listening.

Agreed, I can't pick one because they're so different. On a side note, one impressive thing about Pink Floyd is their resiliency. First when Syd Barrett left then when Roger Waters left, PF kept going on and still made good music. Most bands would've left after the Syd Barrett leaving, but they kept going. Thats pretty impressive.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]where is the lack of love for Animals. soo underrated .. my favorite PF album. it blew me away the first time i listened to it and still does.. and even though i have strayed from rock to metal over the years, animals stil remains dear to my heart.Xeros606
ive always meant to get that album, but i grew out of classic rock before i did.

get it bro, its stil my favorite album of all time .. ALL TIME.. the lyrics are chilling and some of the best ive ever read, the guitar on dogs is .. OMFG.. more orgasmic than the motorhead song orgasmatron ( joke) .. pigs the different kind is just a great song, and then sheep.. well.. you just gotta listen to it for yourself, but trust me you'll like it.. please listen to it and PM me what you think of it. but the album truely changed my perspective on music, before it i used to listen to songs once, i either liked it or didn't .. but the first listen of animals didnt hit me like that.. the songs range from 10 minutesish on sheep and pigs, to 17 on dogs.. and theirs NO HOOKS.. NO CHORUS ( minus a little on pigs) ... no catchy stuff.. what endures on this cd is pure class of musicianship.. that mainstream music listeners WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.. if you dont like animals.. either its just not for you, or your a mainstream music listener with music ADD.. so anyway i went off on a tangent, ever since animals, i have realized songs grow on you, especially prog songs, now i listen to a song multiple times, 1st time is just a strait listen, second i pay more attention to the riffs and lyrics along with singing, third time and beyond is pure appreciation that just keeps getting better ( this is true for a truely great song, and the exact opposite for a mainstream pop song ( like rianna's disturbia, the more u hear it .. the more annoying it gets) it truely was a life changing album for me.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Animals = *love*

So fun to listen to

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GabuEx

I've found that there tends to be two types of Pink Floyd fans: those who think that they started off at their best and got worse, and those who think that they got better with time. I'm one of the latter.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nimatoad2000

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]where is the lack of love for Animals. soo underrated .. my favorite PF album. it blew me away the first time i listened to it and still does.. and even though i have strayed from rock to metal over the years, animals stil remains dear to my heart.GabuEx

I've found that there tends to be two types of Pink Floyd fans: those who think that they started off at their best and got worse, and those who think that they got better with time. I'm one of the latter.

i'm over the place Gabu.. i dont really like piper at the gates of dawn as its not my style of music, altho it was good for what it was, the only pre DSOTM i like is aton heart mother suite ( not rly the rest of the cd) and then meddle ( echoes and one of these days ) other than that.... meh.. also if i were to rate the big four cd's in an order itd definately be Animals > Wish you were here > DSOTM > The Wall.. and i also dont really like the post waters era or final cut.. i feel wall and final cut had way too much filler .. the wall was great as a movie and a concert.. but as a cd.. a lot of it just dosn't work.. theirs great songs like another brick, run like hell, mother, comf numb, young lust, goodbye cruel sky.. OMG I ALMOST FORGOT HEY YOU..exc.. but more than half of the cd isnt really exciting without watching it on the movie. and then post waters era just wasn't anywhere near as inspired as their classic days... waters solo career is also very dissapointing.. lets face it.. pink floyd needs roger waters for lyrics and themes, and Roger waters needs Pink Floyd for Music.. without eachother both are bad.. when combined they are one of the best bands to ever
Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#23 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts
After reading through the messages, I think i'll pick up Animals. I was kind of skeptical about buying it, but from what i've read, I think i'll like it.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nimatoad2000
After reading through the messages, I think i'll pick up Animals. I was kind of skeptical about buying it, but from what i've read, I think i'll like it. Lebbin
its PF's darkest album and most guitar driven, which i really like.... no hooks or choruses, you'll love it, but dont be surprised if you dont recognise the excellence with just one listen, i recall it took me at least 2 times to like it, and 4+ to appreaciate it for how great it really is.
Holyknight_CJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Holyknight_CJ
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

Comfortably Numb's guitar solo pwns Stairway to Heaven's. :P

GabuEx

Granted, but Zeppelin is still way better. Floyd is way too spacy for me, I like hard rock. I still like *counts* 7 Pink Floyd songs.

barcx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 barcx17
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts
Both are awesome, but I've listened to Led for the longest and Bonham is one of my idols cause he kills on the drums.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50559 Posts

You're 15 and listen to Zep and Floyd? Wow,there is still hope it seems.

Good for you bud.

noswear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 noswear
Member since 2008 • 3263 Posts

/thread

GabuEx
This, pretty much. Led Zeppelin IV was amazing, but Comfortably Numb is my favourite thing ever.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Like a couple of posters said,its comparing apples to oranges. That said i prefer Floyd.How can you not love a band that entitled a song"several small species of furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving with a pict." As for thier albums whenever me and my brother talk floyd the conversation inevitably becomes how does darkside and the wall get all teh love when Animals and wish you were here were superior albums.

Clampdown79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Clampdown79
Member since 2008 • 943 Posts

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin is great, and is always fun to listen to, but Pink Floyd makes for more interesting and intelligent music I think.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Eh, Pink Floyd I guess, don't really care for either though...
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Led Zeppelin. I just seem to enjoy everything about them more than Pink Floyd
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

Zeppelin. Pink Floyd may have had better lyrics, but in terms of music they, like all other bands, bow at the feet of Led Zeppelin.

I'd say the first disc Physical Graffiti is better than any album of Pink Floyd's.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts
While both are phenomenal, I'd give the edge to Zeppelin because of their diversity musically.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nimatoad2000
[QUOTE="UnrighteousFury"]

Zeppelin. Pink Floyd may have had better lyrics, but in terms of music they, like all other bands, bow at the feet of Led Zeppelin.

I'd say the first disc Physical Graffiti is better than any album of Pink Floyd's.

the musicianship on dogs , echoes and shine on you crazy diamond blows even achilles last stand out of the water, led zeppelin was basic hard rock, no rocket science in their music.
gdogghenrikson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 gdogghenrikson
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts
I vote for pink floyd
Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
I like them both, but Pink Floyd all the way. I was raised on that stuff.
Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts
The mighty Zeppelin!
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
i would have to give it to pink floyd.
darthblob10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 darthblob10
Member since 2006 • 2236 Posts

Good for you bud.

Chutebox

i see a lot of kids at my high school wearing zeppelin shirts, though i dont see as many pink floyd shirts. im 16 and i realize that those old bands are way better then the crap that comes out today. today they are all so unoriginal and all the bands sound the same. i wish i was a teenager during the 70s

I would have to say i like zeppelin more, although i dont own any floyd albums so i cant really judge that well. Time is an amazing song, but i think comfortably numb is overrated. Zeppelin simply has so many good songs and they are more complex then the floyd songs ive heard, especially achilles last stand. that song is so crazy. also robert plant is a way better singer. however they are both really really good

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Darth-Caedus
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Good for you bud.

darthblob10

i see a lot of kids at my high school wearing zeppelin shirts, though i dont see as many pink floyd shirts. im 16 and i realize that those old bands are way better then the crap that comes out today. today they are all so unoriginal and all the bands sound the same.

Thats really only the mainstream $#!%, the underground is alive and well.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
Pink Floyd is my favorite band, so yeah.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
I would have to say Pink Floyd.
nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nimatoad2000
darth if u think achilles is good listen to the songs i posted above saying are better.. and all those kids with the t shirts most of them are prob posers that only have like 5 songs... i once asked a kid at my high school wearing a darkside of the moon shirt " nice shirt, so whats your fav song on DSOTM? " and he said .. " umm.. another brick in the wall" i jst laughed and walked away
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
I love both bands but if I had to choose I would go with Floyd.
darthblob10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 darthblob10
[QUOTE="darthblob10"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

Good for you bud.

Darth-Caedus

i see a lot of kids at my high school wearing zeppelin shirts, though i dont see as many pink floyd shirts. im 16 and i realize that those old bands are way better then the crap that comes out today. today they are all so unoriginal and all the bands sound the same.

what bands are you talking about?

Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hey_Jay
Member since 2004 • 7221 Posts
I like Floyd, but I love Zeppelin.
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts
[QUOTE="UnrighteousFury"]

nimatoad2000

the musicianship on dogs , echoes and shine on you crazy diamond blows even achilles last stand out of the water, led zeppelin was basic hard rock, no rocket science in their music.

Calling Led Zeppelin "basic hard rock" definitely ranks among the most ridiculous things I've ever seen said on this board. Just about half of their catalogue is acoustic. Led Zeppelin touched on so many genres as a band that it's almost difficult to place them into one.

Going to California, The Rain Song, and Ten Years Gone. Those three songs alone pretty much invalidate your claim.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darth-Caedus
[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"][QUOTE="darthblob10"] i see a lot of kids at my high school wearing zeppelin shirts, though i dont see as many pink floyd shirts. im 16 and i realize that those old bands are way better then the crap that comes out today. today they are all so unoriginal and all the bands sound the same. darthblob10

Some good non-mainstream bands:

Blind Guardian

Evergrey

Andromeda

Kreator

Kamelot

Nightwish

Iced Earth

darthblob10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darthblob10
[QUOTE="darthblob10"][QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"] Thats really only the mainstream $#!%, the underground is alive and well.Darth-Caedus

Some good non-mainstream bands:

Blind Guardian

Evergrey

Andromeda

Kreator

Kamelot

Nightwish

Iced Earth

i have heard of iced earth before but i cant say i liked them to much. i have also heard of nightwish. i will check out the other ones