Nothing Else Matters 0%
Battery 7%
For Whom The Bell Tolls 13%
Hero Of The Day 0%
Turn The Page 0%
Other (unlisted) 7%
Suck (edgy option) 7%
No Caption Provided

Hello friends, so the last month or two started getting into the Metallica again, mostly their old work and live performances of them now being old men with gray hair.

Used to think Master Of The Puppets was their best tune, but veered over to Fade To Black. No must expert, just going by "dis good".

How about you, the 4-5 remaining users of the forum? What do you think is their overall best singular toon?

Could have put more on the poll but don't want it convoluted. So unlisted, sorry.

• 
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7272 Posts

Master of Puppets if you ask me. Kinda showcases every side of early Metalica in one song.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

@judaspete: Have you heard the S&M version? Think it's best version personally. Seem to benefit from an orchestra behind them. Also like audience participation.

Loading Video...
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Not particularly well-versed in Metallica but Enter Sandman has always stood out the most.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8773 Posts

@johnd13 said:

Not particularly well-versed in Metallica but Enter Sandman has always stood out the most.

Same. They used to play it on the radio all the time.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5 brimmul777  Online
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Whiskey in the Jar.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I go with the generic answer.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

@warmblur: Is it? Was always under the impression Master Of The Puppets was their most popular tune.

Was reading today, this made me laugh that Fade To Black, came from this - Now I will create the most intense depressing song humanly possible

More specifically, James Hetfield wrote the lyricsin response to one of his amps being stolen. Not only was this amp his favorite, but it was also the first amp he ever owned so it had a lot of sentimental value to him. The song is about losing everything and wondering if it is worth going on.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7272 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Yeah, Metalica with the SF symphony was dope. I have that album in a box somewhere. Probably next to the Scorpions with the Berlin Philharmonic.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

@warmblur: Is it? Was always under the impression Master Of The Puppets was their most popular tune.

Was reading today, this made me laugh that Fade To Black, came from this - Now I will create the most intense depressing song humanly possible

More specifically, James Hetfield wrote the lyricsin response to one of his amps being stolen. Not only was this amp his favorite, but it was also the first amp he ever owned so it had a lot of sentimental value to him. The song is about losing everything and wondering if it is worth going on.

Back in the day MTV played the hell out of the Sandman video that's why I always thought it was their most popular song also I'm sure radio played the hell out of it. I'm not a huge fan of Metallica but I know alot of old school fans hated the Black album because it was their big breakout to the mainstream.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Ah yes, a question as old as... the 1980's.

For Whom The Bell Tolls gets my vote. I don't listen to them much anymore but I think this song gets me the most excited when I hear it somewhere. Ride the Lightning definitely grew to be my favorite album over the years.

It used to be "One."

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Orion is my fave Metallica track. I was never that in to Metallica. The day that never comes also stands out for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

Hearing Enter Sandman on MTV (you know, the good old days when MTV actually played music...) when I was a kid got me interested in Metallica, so it holds a special place in my heart, but my favorite Metallica songs are their instrumentals.

I love Orion and I love To Live is To Die. There's some things in life where if you experience them they sort of make you feel high and Orion does that for me, makes me feel like I'm flying through space just buzzing by planets and stuff lol. It's one of those songs where I just sort of stop what I am doing, close my eyes, and listen to.

Favorite album is probably Master of Puppets; it's the last album before the band changed their style (not necessarily for the worse, but not my preference) and it had the most amount of amazing songs.

My favorite songs out of their most popular songs is probably One. Just such an epic. That song sent me on a bender of curiosity; I listened to the song, wondered what it was about, read it was about Johnny Got His Gun, so my 10 year old ass walked down to Barnes and Noble and bought a copy of the book and read it in a weekend lol. Unfortunately Blockbuster didn't have the movie and this was before movie streaming was a thing.

I really like Metallica, one of my favorite bands.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25: Alot of their newer stuff does get hated on but I do like Hero Of The Day, Fuel and that catchy as **** Mission Impossible 2 tune with the cheesy ass music video. Yea, sounds different, not bad though. Still like, actual music. Saying that those are about 20 odd years old, so "new" is kinda pushing it, alot.

Loading Video...

Haven't listened to it yet but heard Hardwired is pretty good, goes back to the older style.

Wasn't big on St. Anger, liked they weren't just going through motions trying something different, but eh, not for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58322 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@mrbojangles25: Alot of their newer stuff does get hated on but I do like Hero Of The Day, Fuel and that catchy as **** Mission Impossible 2 tune with the cheesy ass music video. Yea, sounds different, not bad though. Still like, actual music. Saying that those are about 20 odd years old, so "new" is kinda pushing it, alot.

Loading Video...

Haven't listened to it yet but heard Hardwired is pretty good, goes back to the older style.

Wasn't big on St. Anger, liked they weren't just going through motions trying something different, but eh, not for me.

That's more less how I feel. I still really like most of the tracks off the Black album, Load, and Reload. Death Magnetic was OK.

S&M was a work of art, freaking loved that one.

Even their worst is still better than most.

Except St. Anger, though I feel that was more of an experimental thing than a serious attempt. Plus it was stuck in I guess what we would call "development hell".

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25 said:

That's more less how I feel. I still really like most of the tracks off the Black album, Load, and Reload. Death Magnetic was OK.

S&M was a work of art, freaking loved that one.

Even their worst is still better than most.

Except St. Anger, though I feel that was more of an experimental thing than a serious attempt. Plus it was stuck in I guess what we would call "development hell".

For sure. Def up there as a fav all time.

Only complaint have about it is for whatever reason Fade To Black is omitted.

Think what kinda tops it over Master Of The Puppets for me is the guitar solo. They both go into it, all out, but Master Of The Puppets feels like it has it - then goes on for abit. Where as in Fade To Black it's like, final 2 minutes straight of build up to a climax where Kirk Hammett is killing it. Watched vid the other day, it's legit difficult to follow his fingers.

Prob give St. Anger another wack, kinda dismissing it, but haven't really listened to it in about 20+ years. Memory fucks with you, good things better, bad things worse.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup

Sheet.

Loading Video...

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I would probably say For Whom The Bell Tolls. Also like Master of Puppets, Ride The Lighting, Hit The Lights, Fight Fire With Fire/Battery, Escape, Fade To Black, etc.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

@uninspiredcup: So was at me fire-pit yesterday listening to St.Anger on teh oversized PC headphones and honestly no-where near as bad as I remember.

Think the main thing didn't like, the large layered nature of their old longs with elongated guitar solos ain't there and it's far more one tone. (rar!"), almost slipknot.

But still a couple of decent tunes. Some Kind Of Monster pretty dope. That and Frantic stand out.

Not big on the title song. But yea, def not the trash fire originally thought. Or maybe just have bad taste, which is a strong possibility.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Honestly way too many to decide.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Chutebox said:

Honestly way too many to decide.

Think safe to say most (myself included) will lean towards their old, old stuff. Doubt many of their fans (again myself included) even checked out their newer stuff, esp after St.Anger.

Weird thing going from St.Anger to Death Magnetic, no joke, like listening to a completely different band.

The behind the scenes stuff, makes sense. Were a mess, Napster shit, Hetfield substance abuse.

-

Unforgiven III heard the first time just yesterday, really good. Feels very much in the vein of their peak. Wouldn't put it over the original, but it's up there.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Oh ya, older stuff easily their best. Newer songs are pretty awesome too if you haven't checked them out. Spit out the bone, Hardwired, Moth into flame, Atlas rise, and couple more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

Was not aware they done S&M again.

Actually re-done some St.Anger tunes to less screamy, **** you mom. Which is interesting.

Loading Video...
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8232 Posts

Of the songs you listed I'd say Battery.

My personal favorites that would fall under "other"

The call of ktulu

Escape

Orion

Disposable Heroes

The thing that should not be

Frayed ends of Sanity

Eye of the Beholder

Of wolf and man

Tbh just really love ride the lightning, master of puppets, and injustice4all albums the most. That's where the best bangers are imo but there's plenty of gems in the later albums

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup

@sargentd: Good list. And yea, no surprise people are leaning towards Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, And Injustice4all.

Been listening to Metallica constantly this week, lit just discovering stuff as go along, which is neat. And yea, the idea that they are somehow shit now is thoroughly nonsense imo.

So, getting a refresh, with some new tunes rank them as such.

1. Fade To Black

2. Master Of The Puppets (SM version)

3. One

4. Unforgiven III (extremely new)

5. For Whom The Bell Tolls

6. No Leaf Cover

etc....

But generally my opinion of Fade To Black being their best tune hasn't really changed personally.

What surprised me was Unforgiven III, prefer it over the other two now. SM version is also dope and very different, lit strip out the entire metal of it with the band sitting at the side while Hetfield sings like an old wolf.

Loading Video...
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8232 Posts

@uninspiredcup: fade to black is a masterpiece, the guitar work is very high class.

Your thread has me throwing on Metallica on the playlist. I credit Metallica for getting me heavily into metal at a young age since my dad was a big fan as well as black Sabbath Judas priest. But Metallica made me a huge fan of Thrash, had me branch into Anthrax, Pantera, Megadeath, and Slayer.

Was able to see them play live twice, very big collesium shows tho. Still would say Thrash is still my favorite type of metal today. Been Listening to more obscure thrash stuff like Power trip, Municipal waste, and Gwar lately

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

@sargentd: Love to see them live before they retire.

Weird going back as well, St.Anger, 20 odd years ago, didn't like it at all. Listening to it now, quite like a few of the tracks. Shoot Me Again dope. All Within My Hands etc.. Still people who hate it to all hell though from what I gather.

Even listening to the newer stuff wasn't keen on like "Suicide and Redemption", which is a 10-minute instrumental solo, flip-flopping.