Kids in US need a bullet proof vest to go to school

This topic is locked from further discussion.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

User Lists: 0

#51 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts
@xeno_ghost said:

Better to make money on products that save lives than to make money on products that take lives.

But dead people can't sue.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@Master_Live: "Then headshots it is"

Do you think that's funny, you think you are clever for making that comment because I don't, that comment is almost as dumb as your thread asking "can a black person be racist"

Any measure that reduces the risk of being killed when shot is worth having especially in schools, it's not likely a crazy gunman in a state of insanity is going to be that good a aim to be getting head shots, so wearing a bulletproof vest or blanket reduces the risk.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

@MrGeezer: "Except that they don't have to have bulletproof blankets. The linked article specifically states that not a single school district has purchased them"

"Also, these things wouldn't be effective anyway. For starters, most school shootings are over almost as soon as they start anyway. By the time teachers figure out there's a shooting and then get the blankets out it's already over"

What a complete load of fucking bullshit are you serious?

Every school in the US should now provide these blankets or vest just incase of a school shooting, and they should be in every class. The fact is that getting shot while at school is a potential hazard in the US, just like a fire breaking out in school is a potential hazard, when there is a fire you have procedures you have to follow, there are preventative measures, and there is protection from fire I.e fire doors, should schools not bother with all that just because the chances of there being a fire is very small statistically, I think not, so the same kind of procedural preventative protective measures need to be applied when it comes to the possibility of there being a school shooting, no matter how small the chances of it happening are, It's all about saving lives of those most important, the kids.

It's not scaremongering it's being prepared for the worst possible scenario, and if a company makes money out of it good they deserve every penny because they would be saving lives children's lives and that's priceless.

Better to make money on products that save lives than to make money on products that take lives.

Go up top. Click on the link. Look at the photo of those kids hiding under the blankets and see if you can spot the flaws.

1) The vast majority of "school shootings" are not some Columbine-type event. It's the case of one dumbass getting pissed off at another dumbass, and specifically shooting at that person. Like I said before, in that kind of shooting (ie, the vast majority of school shootings), there is zero time to go get out the security blankets. The only possible way this could be remotely effective is in a Columbine style massacre in which someone is prowling the halls with the expressed purpose of killing everyone he sees. And that brings me to point #2...

2) I invite you to again look at that photo of the kids tucked under those blankets. Do you know who would LOVE to see that happen? A madman who is prowling the halls for the expressed purpose of killing everyone he sees. That shit STILL isn't effective. Anyone looking to murder those kids just has to lift the blanket, and his victims are just sitting there absolutely defenseless.

Again, the miniscule chance of these blankets offering any kind of protection against an actual school shooting surely won't justify the costs. And even in a worst case Columbine-style shooting, I'd put money on this shit actually costing lives. In the time it takes to get out the blankets, staff and faculty could be using that time to secure the doors or evacuate the students out of a window. If someone is walking down the halls going on a shooting spree, do you know what's more effective than sitting in one spot and throwing a blanket over yourself? Fucking running away, that's what.

Like it has been pointed out, not a single school district has ordered these things. While I expect a few school districts to hop on board, don't expect this to become a common thing. This is absolutely worthless trash designed to cash in on paranoia. And while there's no mention of how much these things cost, it's a good freaking bet that it'd be expensive as hell to buy enough of these things to supply the entire student body with them. Take that money and use it instead to install metal detectors and hire a couple of armed guards.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 MrGeezer

@xeno_ghost said:

Do you think that's funny, you think you are clever for making that comment because I don't, that comment is almost as dumb as your thread asking "can a black person be racist"

Any measure that reduces the risk of being killed when shot is worth having especially in schools, it's not likely a crazy gunman in a state of insanity is going to be that good a aim to be getting head shots, so wearing a bulletproof vest or blanket reduces the risk.

He doesn't NEED to be good at getting headshots when all of his victims are crouched on the floor under a blanket. Seriously, dude, just think about this. In an actual killing-spree type event, the only thing these blankets will accomplish is limiting the students' mobility and making it easier to kill them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#55 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

They should be forced to wear racing helmets for comedy effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker: I know each state has their own laws, and you didn't even admit the Obamacare was watered down. You clearly didn't know that a lot of shootings have mental instability where states can do something, yet do nothing. Wasn't the motto after Sandy Hook "never again"? Since that there's almost been shootings every day. You're supporting a government and states that don't care about you basicly when kids have need bulletproof blankets. Check mate

Wow, nice blatant lie right there. There have only been 14 school shootings since Sandy Hook.

Kids don't need bulletproof blankets. To think that they do makes you a fucking idiot. Hell, even just writing that makes you a fucking moron.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@MrGeezer said:

@xeno_ghost said:

He doesn't NEED to be good at getting headshots when all of his victims are crouched on the floor under a blanket. Seriously, dude, just think about this. In an actual killing-spree type event, the only thing these blankets will accomplish is limiting the students' mobility and making it easier to kill them.

How anyone could think bulletproof blankets is a good idea is beyond me.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#58 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@airshocker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker: I know each state has their own laws, and you didn't even admit the Obamacare was watered down. You clearly didn't know that a lot of shootings have mental instability where states can do something, yet do nothing. Wasn't the motto after Sandy Hook "never again"? Since that there's almost been shootings every day. You're supporting a government and states that don't care about you basicly when kids have need bulletproof blankets. Check mate

Wow, nice blatant lie right there. There have only been 14 school shootings since Sandy Hook.

Kids don't need bulletproof blankets. To think that they do makes you a fucking idiot. Hell, even just writing that makes you a fucking moron.

Link

Again you show your own stupidity :). This was written last year in December and there had been 44 shootings since then... Ignorance, check :).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

Again you show your own stupidity :). This was written last year in December and there had been 44 shootings since then... Ignorance, check :).

SOURCE

We've already been through this. There have only been 14 actual school shootings since Sandy Hook.

Edit: Actually, there have only been 10.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 The_Last_Ride

@airshocker said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

SOURCE

We've already been through this. There have only been 14 actual school shootings since Sandy Hook.

uhm, i didn't say school shootings, i said mass shootings mate and you were wrong on the number on that aswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

SOURCE

uhm, i didn't say school shootings, i said mass shootings mate and you were wrong on the number on that aswell

Actually, you said shootings. You didn't specify which kind, which is your own fault.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

we just need ed-209 patrolling all our schools. that will certainly fix the problem

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

we just need ed-209 patrolling all our schools. that will certainly fix the problem

Until it tips and falls over, rendering it completely useless. lol

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
@jasean79 said:

@comp_atkins said:

Until it tips and falls over, rendering it completely useless. lol

just remove stairwells from all schools

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Just equip the kids with knives and tell them to git gud.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

lol "protection"

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

@comp_atkins said:

lets call this what is really is: someone trying to profit off of fear of school shootings.

the odds your child is actually going to be involved in a school shooting incident. even in the "gun crazy" US is astronomically low.

While true, the odds are also astronomically higher in the U.S. than in other developed nations.

And a considerable number of developing nations as well.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@thegerg said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker: And that's why it should be allowed... Because no insane person should be able to get a gun. Why do you think we never have mass shootings here in scandinavia?

"Why do you think we never have mass shootings here in [S]candinavia?"

Ignorance FTL...

Anders Behring Breivik

Uhm, don't you think i know about this? I knew people that got shot you idiot... It's the only time that happend since WW2

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thegerg said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker: And that's why it should be allowed... Because no insane person should be able to get a gun. Why do you think we never have mass shootings here in scandinavia?

Ignorance FTL...

Anders Behring Breivik

Uhm, don't you think i know about this? I knew people that got shot you idiot... It's the only time that happend since WW2

I believe the problem is your use of the word "never"

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 The_Last_Ride

@lostrib: Should have used almost never, but i still have a point...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 The_Last_Ride

@thegerg said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thegerg said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Ignorance FTL...

Anders Behring Breivik

If you know that Scandinavia has had mass shooting, why say "we never have mass shootings here in [S]candinavia"?

It's one compared to hundreds if not thousand in the US. So you can't blame me if i said never

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thegerg said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thegerg said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Ignorance FTL...

Anders Behring Breivik

If you know that Scandinavia has had mass shooting, why say "we never have mass shootings here in [S]candinavia"?

It's one compared to hundreds if not thousand in the US. So you can't blame me if i said never

have you met thegerg? of course he can

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@MrGeezer: ok I agree that the blankets are silly, but what I'm saying is schools should be providing some sort of protection like maybe low cos but effective bullet proof vest, bullet proof doors on class rooms, anything to lesson the chances of being shot and killed.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#81 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

US Citizens. This is a ploy by the government to convince scared parents and others to hand over their guns. Don't be naive. Use protection.

Darn right. I got my kid a revolver for his birthday.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Let kids bring guns to school. Problem solved.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: listen if you wanna start talking about kids being attacked and injured or killed by dogs while playing in the park or the potential for that to happen, that's fine make your own thread about the subject ok buddy, but I'm talking about threats that can and do actually happen while at school and that schools should protect against like school shootings ok, try to stick to the subject please.

Now I ask you again how many times have you heard on the news of a dog going on the rampage around "school grounds" killing and injuring children? How many kids have died while at school from dog attacks? Compare that with how many school shootings there have been in the last 20years and how many kids have died from school shootings, so tell me which threat is most logical for schools to protect against?

Americans they are ignnorant to the fact that their love affair with guns is a double edge sword.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MrGeezer

@xeno_ghost said:

@MrGeezer: ok I agree that the blankets are silly, but what I'm saying is schools should be providing some sort of protection like maybe low cos but effective bullet proof vest, bullet proof doors on class rooms, anything to lesson the chances of being shot and killed.

You wrote, "What a complete load of fucking bullshit are you serious? Every school in the US should now provide these blankets or vest just incase of a school shooting, and they should be in every class."

Why would you even be in support of these blankets if you agree that they are silly?

Look dude, I'm all for PRACTICAL measures to make kids (or anyone) safer, but people ought to look at this pragmatically. There's no benefit in hopping on board some new thing when that thing doesn't freaking work. I could MAYBE get on board the idea of making doors more secure so that classrooms can be more effectively locked down in a Columbine type situation. I'm not saying that would be a good idea, but it'd surely be a better use of resources than wasting it on bulletproof blankets that turn the students into sitting ducks. But here's the thing...we weren't talking about making doors more secure or hiring security guards. We were talking about bulletproof blankets. Bulletproof blankets are a horrible freaking idea. I was saying that they are a horrible idea. They simply wouldn't work, and at worst they might actually be WORSE than no protection and result in more deaths. If you agree that they are silly, then let it go. Ideas like "we have to protect the children" don't help when people get so emotional that they hop on board of ideas that don't work.

Money that's wasted on bulletproof blankets could be spent on something that could potentially actually help. Like you said, how about securing doors? If any school has the resources to buy bulletproof blankets then how about funnelling that money into making the doors more secure instead? That way, in a massacre type situation, we could have safe rooms that the shooters can't get into?

And hell...I'm not even saying THAT'S the best use of money. As rare as these type of school massacres are, it might be a better idea to use that money towards actual EDUCATION. If a school has the money to buy bulletproof blankets or replace all of their doors with impenetrable ones, then they might be better off using that money to actually do things that improve the students' educations. Lots of schools are really underfunded in lots of areas, like shitty libraries or shamefully funded arts and science departments. Considering that the vast majority of schools won't ever see ANY of their students killed in a Columbine style event, maybe it's better to just prioritize and educate the students.

But the point is, you really need to look at this pragmatically. Schools have limited resources to deal with. And with limited resources comes the need to do a serious cost vs benefit assessment. With regards to bulletproof blankets, the cost is wasting the limited funds on something that doesn't work, when that money could be used in ways that actually help students. The benefit? There is none, because this shit is a silly idea. So you scrap the idea, and use the limited funds on something else. I'm not saying that no schools are gonna pick up on this kind of stuff, but if any do then I am confident about this: they're gonna be in well-to-do school districts that aren't lacking in funds. It's gonna be adopted due to pressure from wealthy parents who fit into that little niche where they're powerful enough to have people cater to their whims but somehow oblivious and distant enough about their surroundings that they have a shaky grasp on reality. I'm talking the Helen Lovejoys of the world: rich people who are sheltered enough to not know shit about the real world, while simultaneously getting their way by throwing out money and screaming "won't somebody think of the children?"Those are the people who can afford to throw away valuable time and money on shit that doesn't work. Meanwhile, in the real world, most people USUALLY don't have that luxury.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

Profiteering off of fear and suffering.

The American dream in the 21st century!

I wish we could go back to the media days when nothing of this garbage was broadcasted on the news 24hrs a day for weeks on end when it happens. Keep it to local news. Never show the shooter's face or name. Keep the victims and families private. Stop discussing gun laws or anything related on news talk shows like fox and cnn where only ignorance spreads.

Violent crime in the US is at a long time low and it keeps dropping, but blood sells.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@MrGeezer: i get what you are saying. At first I thought these blankets were a good idea, then I realised it is ridiculous to expect kids to hide under these blankets sat there like sitting ducks In the corridors but I did say vest also which would be more effective and a child would have mobility and protection while trying to flee. My main point of this thread was not to promote the blankets, it was to raise the point that things are pretty bad in your country when companies are making bulletproof blankets for students to wear incase of gun violence in schools.

And I asked the question what could be done about this problem?

Also school shootings do happen and I have a wiki link in a reply to thegerg a few comments up that shows many many children have died in schools in the US from shooting incidents, so just saying the chances of it happening are small is irrelevant really, they do happen and continue to happen. So measures like a couple of safe rooms with bullet proof doors in schools is a no brainer I reckon.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@MrGeezer: i get what you are saying. At first I thought these blankets were a good idea, then I realised it is ridiculous to expect kids to hide under these blankets sat there like sitting ducks In the corridors but I did say vest also which would be more effective and a child would have mobility and protection while trying to flee. My main point of this thread was not to promote the blankets, it was to raise the point that things are pretty bad in your country when companies are making bulletproof blankets for students to wear incase of gun violence in schools.

And I asked the question what could be done about this problem?

Also school shootings do happen and I have a wiki link in a reply to thegerg a few comments up that shows many many children have died in schools in the US from shooting incidents, so just saying the chances of it happening are small is irrelevant really, they do happen and continue to happen. So measures like a couple of safe rooms with bullet proof doors in schools is a no brainer I reckon. I guess when it comes to protection in the event of a school shooting incident we Just need to find a good balance between low cost and effectiveness. But like you say some schools will adopt certain measures while others won't or won't be able to afford to. It's a pretty bad situation.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: ok do you have any proof that in the US more kids have died from dog bites than from school shootings let's say in the past 20 years?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#90 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

It's a move to exploit the populace; it's stupid, unwise, and an impractical waste of resources. It won't stop anything nor will it save lives.

@gamerguru100 said:

A bullet proof vest usually only protects its wearer from standard pistol rounds. It won't do you much when a crazy comes in with an AK-47 or any rifle, actually.

Or knives, mind you.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: LOL!! so you don't have proof to back up your claims your words are empty and meaningless. I provided you that wiki link it shows all school shootings in the US and numbers of deaths resulting in each school shooting in a simple graph just go back 20 years add up all the deaths and provide me with some evidence that proves more kids in the US died from dog bites in that same time frame.

If you don't have any evidence then stop bullshitting you're making a fool of yourself, if you can't be bothered to provide evidence then don't make claims that you can't be bothered to back up.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This kind of stuff only encourages school shootings as far as I'm concerned.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: I just don't know why you have to step outside the parameters of the subject of my thread to suit your argument, yes maybe kids are at risk from dog bites but that's not the subject of the thread, the thread is about school shootings in the US and if anything can be done to prevent death and injury during such an incident, the thread is not about addressing random threats to children.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@thegerg: There is a difference in being attacked while in school by a dog and being attacked randomely any time during the day by a dog. Nobody's is going to be walking their dog the amount of time they do compared to a park now will they? Because the probablity goes down if a dog is never there now isn't it?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#98 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

Who is paying for that?

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#100  Edited By GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@joehult said:

Your house could fall in a sink hole and kill you. Your dog could attack your kid and kill them. A tornado can get you. Lightning, choking on food, heart attack, asthma attack, sudden allergic reaction, snakes, spiders, mountain lion, slipping and hitting your head, carbon monoxide build up, bacteria, virus, hit by a train, hit by a hockey puck, falling more than 6 feet, grease fire, radiation, diabetes.....

Are all things more people die from than a school shooting.

More people die to mountain lions and hockey pucks than school shootings? Interesting. I also didn't think people often get hit by trains. I guess alcohol often plays a role in those.

There was a kid around where I live who got killed by a train recently. He was walking on the tracks with his Beats headphones on and couldn't hear the train coming behind him. :/