Kid Runs Away Because Of Call Of Duty

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
Negligent parent blames kid and his love of COD for his running away.

15 year-old Brandon Crisp, from Barrie, Canada, ran away from home last Monday, and hasn't been seen since. Why'd he run away? Brandon's father, Steve, says "He left because we took his Xbox away" Seems Brandon was "addicted" to Call of Duty, and the decision to confiscate his "Xbox" sparked the runaway. His father now fears the worst:

"My personal feeling is that he's met someone online through this game. As a parent, you fear the worst when you don't hear anything for seven days."

Most runaway kids return home within 24 hours; Brandon's been missing for aweeknow, and hasn't been seen or heard from by friends or family.

Pretty sad, but if you're child is running away and stays away for a week I highly doubt it's over video games. If anything, where is he going to play more Call Of Duty, oh maybe at the person's house that he met online??

Hopefully this gets resolved though.

Article

kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
That is pretty terrible, maybe the parents should have thought that there may have been another problem..
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts
15 years old, and he runs away because he can't play his Xbox...oh dear lord. That is horrible I agree. But, oh so stupid.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
I fear for the worst.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Sad....really parents fault in a way should of looked after him better...
Ice-Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Ice-Cube
Member since 2003 • 2434 Posts
I just read this in the morning paper few minutes ago, didn't think i'de see it in the forums lol.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Well, another story for parents to discourage their kids from playing video games. Haven't played a game yet that would make me run away as a kid so this kid probably wasn't the brightest light bulb in the box.
Dunkonya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dunkonya
Member since 2004 • 1601 Posts
Wow just wow that is sad for the parents and i think that kid should grow up a bit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
The parents should've taken his 360 away LONG before, if that was his reaction.
Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts
Wow, Those parents are stupid thinking that he ran away because they took his xbox away. That is probably one of his compolaints that his parents don't understand him.
Avatar image for _Classic_Gamer_
_Classic_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _Classic_Gamer_
Member since 2007 • 4776 Posts

Is there anything that people won't blame video games for?

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
I dont thinmk someone would 15 would run away because of that
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
Negligent parent blames kid and his love of COD for his running away.

15 year-old Brandon Crisp, from Barrie, Canada, ran away from home last Monday, and hasn't been seen since. Why'd he run away? Brandon's father, Steve, says "He left because we took his Xbox away" Seems Brandon was "addicted" to Call of Duty, and the decision to confiscate his "Xbox" sparked the runaway. His father now fears the worst:

"My personal feeling is that he's met someone online through this game. As a parent, you fear the worst when you don't hear anything for seven days."

Most runaway kids return home within 24 hours; Brandon's been missing for aweeknow, and hasn't been seen or heard from by friends or family.johnnyv2003

Pretty sad, but if you're child is running away and stays away for a week I highly doubt it's over video games. If anything, where is he going to play more Call Of Duty, oh maybe at the person's house that he met online??

Hopefully this gets resolved though.

Article

well its clear that he ran away coz of video games being taken away from him. I blamevideo games :evil:

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
that's what happens when the xbox is the babysitter.
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mingo123

that's what happens when the xbox is the babysitter. Ontain

comeon parents are not always to be blamed for this kind of stuff, he got too addicted to call of duty,the good parents take it away from him, then he runs away....wheres the parents faulkt in that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

[QUOTE="Ontain"]that's what happens when the xbox is the babysitter. mingo123

comeon parents are not always to be blamed for this kind of stuff, he got too addicted to call of duty,the good parents take it away from him, then he runs away....wheres the parents faulkt in that?

They let him get addicted?
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ontain

[QUOTE="Ontain"]that's what happens when the xbox is the babysitter. mingo123

they were the facilitators of the addiction. without them he couldn't have gotten an xbox or the game. if they set up rules early on he wouldn't have gotten "addicted" either. instead they allowed him to play till it became a problem. i just see it as spoiled brat syndrome, and that's the fault of parents.

also they say they think he met someone online. cleary they aren't monitoring him well.

shyskillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shyskillz
Member since 2006 • 4197 Posts

the rated M for Mature sticker is on the game box for a reason.

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
[QUOTE="mingo123"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]that's what happens when the xbox is the babysitter. Jandurin

They let him get addicted?

Bingo. They shouldn't have let him play this much to the point he got addicted to it. And second of all CoD is a mature game no? How does a 15 year old get his hands on that game? Oh that's right his parents bought it for him.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
That's just bad. I hope the kid is ok. :?
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mingo123
[QUOTE="mingo123"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]that's what happens when the xbox is the babysitter. Ontain

they were the facilitators of the addiction. without them he couldn't have gotten an xbox or the game. if they set up rules early on he wouldn't have gotten "addicted" either. instead they allowed him to play till it became a problem. i just see it as spoiled brat syndrome, and that's the fault of parents.

also they say they think he met someone online. cleary they aren't monitoring him well.

come on why would parents monitor a 15 year old lol just like other parents they probably bought him 360 as a gift coz HE wanted 1, how would they know that he'd get so addicted to it? the problem is not the parents.....but the kid and video games :D

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ontain

come on why would parents monitor a 15 year old lol just like other parents they probably bought him 360 as a gift coz HE wanted 1, how would they know that he'd get so addicted to it? the problem is not the parents.....but the kid and video games :D

mingo123

depending on how they raised him (and it's not looking good from this story) a 15 year old can't always be trusted to do the reasonable thing. I wouldn't get my child of 15 an xbox. but then again I don't plan on giving them a computer for their room. if they want to use it they can use it out in the living room. no tv in their room either. also the game is rated M. just makes me think that they used the games just to shut him up in his room until they saw that he wasn't doing anything else. at that point you've already created the problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

depending on how they raised him (and it's not looking good from this story) a 15 year old can't always be trusted to do the reasonable thing. I wouldn't get my child of 15 an xbox. but then again I don't plan on giving them a computer for their room. if they want to use it they can use it out in the living room. no tv in their room either. also the game is rated M. just makes me think that they used the games just to shut him up in his room until they saw that he wasn't doing anything else. at that point you've already created the problem.

Ontain
Agree with all of this, though I'll give them a chance with a tv. Definitely no computer, and probably no game system in their room.
uncledeath2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 uncledeath2005
Member since 2005 • 5890 Posts
What a stupid kid
C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
Thats terrible. Hope he comes back and gets help
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="mingo123"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]that's what happens when the xbox is the babysitter. Ontain

God forbid that they trusted a 15 year old kid to make the right decisions.

I mean jeez, the kid's almost an adult. Exactly HOW LONG are the parents supposed to monitor every little thing he does?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

I mean jeez, the kid's almost an adult. Exactly HOW LONG are the parents supposed to monitor every little thing he does?

MrGeezer
This is more indicative of never having paid attention in the first place. And, obviously, this kid isn't old enough to make his own decisions if he's gonna run away because of a flipping xbox.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

MrGeezer
He's 15. The kid still needs parents, and they still need to monitor the things he's doing.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="mingo123"]

Ontain

just makes me think that they used the games just to shut him up in his room until they saw that he wasn't doing anything else. at that point you've already created the problem.

Oh please. You don't know anything about the family. You're assuming that the parents were neglecting and ignoring the kid just because they let him put an Xbox in his room, and that's a flat out ridiculous thing to say.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

DeeJayInphinity

He's 15. The kid still needs parents, and they still need to monitor the things he's doing.

And they did, which is why they took away his Xbox. :|

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
Eh, the kids an idiot.
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DeeJayInphinity

MrGeezer
As mentioned earlier, they allowed it to get this bad.
He's 15.. he should not be acting like a 4 or 5 year old that cries and runs away when they confiscate something.
I've met runaways and it's clear that they did not have good parents.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

shyskillz
Because it makes kids under 18 run away?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

Jandurin

This is more indicative of never having paid attention in the first place. And, obviously, this kid isn't old enough to make his own decisions if he's gonna run away because of a flipping xbox.

What do you mean they weren't paying attention? THEY were the ones who noticed that the kid was playing games too much.

You don't treat a 15 year old kid the same way you treat a 5 year old kid. You give them certain freedoms, and then only revoke those freedoms if they're abusing them. 15 is absolutely old enough to be granted SOME self-reliance. What, are they supposed to keep the kid on a tight leash until his 18th birthday and then kick him out the door?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

What do you mean they weren't paying attention? THEY were the ones who noticed that the kid was playing games too much.

You don't treat a 15 year old kid the same way you treat a 5 year old kid. You give them certain freedoms, and then only revoke those freedoms if they're abusing them. 15 is absolutely old enough to be granted SOME self-reliance. What, are they supposed to keep the kid on a tight leash until his 18th birthday and then kick him out the door?

:| What? They did revoke the freedom to play the game. Obviously the kid did abuse... what the heck are you arguing here?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

DeeJayInphinity

As mentioned earlier, they allowed it to get this bad.
He's 15.. he should not be acting like a 4 or 5 year old that cries and runs away when they confiscate something.
I've met runaways and it's clear that they did not have good parents.

Bull****. Lots of runaways "run away" for one day just for attention. And kids do stupid **** all the time, even into adulthood. Have you ever been to college?

And you don't even know "how bad" the problem got.

vlin1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vlin1108
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
[QUOTE="shyskillz"]

Funky_Llama

Because it makes kids under 18 run away?

Maybe the child got inspired by the game and wants to answer the Call of Duty himself. Bless his heart.

KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts

15 years old, and he runs away because he can't play his Xbox...oh dear lord. That is horrible I agree. But, oh so stupid.SavageM2

Wait just a minute. What if the taking away of his Xbox wasn't the problem? People are so narrow minded..... I think he should have been mature enoough not to run away as well though, regardless of what happened.

qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

well giving him a gaming system, internet access and mature games all without restcritions is asking for trouble, no, BEGGING for it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

Jandurin

:| What? They did revoke the freedom to play the game. Obviously the kid did abuse... what the heck are you arguing here?

Thast's exactly what I'm saying. They let the kid have an Xbox, he was abusing it, so they took the Xbox away. That's absolutely all anyone here knows about this.

Yet somehow people are accusing the parents of completely ignoring the kid.

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DeeJayInphinity

Bull****. Lots of runaways "run away" for one day just for attention. And kids do stupid **** all the time, even into adulthood. Have you ever been to college?

And you don't even know "how bad" the problem got.

MrGeezer
Sure, they do bad things..
Anyway, you're right.. we're not in a position to make any judgments about the parents.. so I'm done here.
NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts

Heres my view of it:

The kid runs away, the mom thinks he ran away cause of Call of Duty, Probably, cause she doesn't like him playing it. So she blamed it. But the kid ran away from his mom cause he doesn't like the fact that she doesn't like it..

Or he ran away cause he plainly doesn't like his mom.

Theres my view. :P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

qwertyoip

well giving him a gaming system, internet access and mature games all without restcritions is asking for trouble, no, BEGGING for it.

Do you have a more detailed article to post? Because that article doesn't say ANYTHING about what if any restrictions or conditions the parents had, nor does it mention how much the kid was playing the game or how bad his parents let the problem get before they confiscated the game.

So unless any of you want to post a more detailed article, you can't draw ANY conclusions about the parents. If all you're gonna do is assume stuff, and IMAGINE how the parents MIGHT have been running the home, then you've really got absolutely NOTHING to go on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
MrGeezer
It's cool to blame the parents. That's what we do, dammit. How dare you contest this! :| :P
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I tried to run away once when I was 5 or 6. I made it across the street until I came crawling back to my mom. She was laughing at me the entire time :(
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
I wonder if he is a GS member.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I wonder if he is a GS member.loco145
If he was he would have posted here first that he was going to run away b/c his parents took away his Xbox.

Then we would have ridiculed him and sarcastically told him to run away.

thegfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thegfl
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts
At least he could get addicted to a good game.
gibbersandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gibbersandwich
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Jandurin
It's cool to blame the parents. That's what we do, dammit. How dare you contest this! :| :P

well duh we should blame the parents. he's obviously is at his Friends house and his friend is to loyal to give him up.

WHATS THE GAMER TAG!

He's probably on-line right now. if i ccould get his gamer tag i could check

Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts
llol. he met a girl on XBL.. and it turns out they like each other in RL too... good for him. Now go home and quit being an idiot.