It is time to end our addiction to oil.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

Agreed? I mean, why do we insist on keeping ourselves chained to such a finite, and truly archaic fuel source that does more harm to our world than good? If we should take anything from the catastrophe in the Gulf, it's that we need to end our dependence on oil so we can end these environmental disasters and an huge dependence on foreign countries. The technology is getting easier and cheaper every year, and green energy will bring jobs, but it's going to require sacrifice from everyone. Hopefully this growing disaster will make enough people in our country realize that the time is NOW to move past oil and into renewable energy.

ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts
The technology is getting easier and cheaper? What technology? Tell me, what source of energy do we have available that can currently totally replace our reliance on oil?
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

That takes time, effort, work and commitment. The general populace doesnt want that, they want things done easy and quickly for themserved on a silver platter. Also, oil companies. Otherwise it would have been accomplished by now.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts
we will when it becomes prohibitively expensive. until then...
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I can quit whenever I want!

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MystikFollower

entropyecho

Uh huh PROVE it! I saw you yesterday, in the bathroom, with that straw and can of oil... :x

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

How?

It's not like the government is going to take major steps in that direction. The corporations own and control Washingston D.C. (and that includes the oil companies).

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

Agreed? I mean, why do we insist on keeping ourselves chained to such a finite, and truly archaic fuel source that does more harm to our world than good? If we should take anything from the catastrophe in the Gulf, it's that we need to end our dependence on oil so we can end these environmental disasters and an huge dependence on foreign countries. The technology is getting easier and cheaper every year, and green energy will bring jobs, but it's going to require sacrifice from everyone. Hopefully this growing disaster will make enough people in our country realize that the time is NOW to move past oil and into renewable energy.

MystikFollower
Money its as simple as that... you cant make money off the sun or wind
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MystikFollower

we will when it becomes prohibitively expensive. until then...comp_atkins

Unfortunately we probably will end our addiction to oil, when there is no more oil. By that time though, it'll likely be too late and we'll probably destroy ourselves fighting over what's left.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

entropyecho
Thanks for stealing my line :x
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I'm not addicted to oil?

gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gubrushadow
Member since 2009 • 2735 Posts
i did see an american scientist inventing a very cheap oil from vegetables and fruits , the galon which is the same size of oil is aprox 60 cents only and its the same power !
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Don't worry Let me wipp out my Anti-Matter/Matter generator, and wa-la! Now we can power an entire continent. Ok no more oil!
meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts
No other alternative produces the same amount of energy output per unit or whatever that gasoline/oil does. It's a highly efficient form of energy, despite the environmental drawbacks. The goal isn't to simply find alternative fuel sources, it's to also reduce our mass consumption of energy. As a nation, we use sooooooo much energy, no other fuel source can keep up with current demand. Try telling 300 million people to use cars, tv's, computers, cell phones, video game consoles, lights, washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, air conditioners, heaters, etc 50-80% less than they are now and see what response you get. They'll lynch you.
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MystikFollower

No other alternative produces the same amount of energy output per unit or whatever that gasoline/oil does. It's a highly efficient form of energy, despite the environmental drawbacks. The goal isn't to simply find alternative fuel sources, it's to also reduce our mass consumption of energy. As a nation, we use sooooooo much energy, no other fuel source can keep up with current demand. Try telling 300 million people to use cars, tv's, computers, cell phones, video game consoles, lights, washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, air conditioners, heaters, etc 50-80% less than they are now and see what response you get. They'll lynch you.meteo_ryte

Yeah you're probably right, and it's one of things that makes me hate society on a worldwide scale. The person is rather intelligent, but peopleare dumb, panicky, and quick to need everything as easy as possible. At least here in America. The only thing that worries me, is what is those 300 million people going to do when we run out of oil. I'm surprised more oil companies aren't all over the green tech thing, seeing as their's is an industry with an inevitable demise.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Nuclear energy FTW - it's extremely clean (although not as clean as solar/wind, but produces hundreds of times the power).

But when it comes to powering vehicles, please come up with an alternative to oil that isn't ridiculous or inefficient.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MystikFollower

Nuclear energy FTW - it's extremely clean (although not as clean as solar/wind, but produces hundreds of times the power).

But when it comes to powering vehicles, please come up with an alternative to oil that isn't ridiculous or inefficient.

Saturos3091

We can power our cars with............................DOUBLE SUN POWER!! Sorry, don't know if anyone will get the Old Spice reference :P.

MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

I agree completely, but sadly just not everyone will want to do that.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

we do need to move on but its hard when big oil and car companys try to stop any change at every turn . we already have had electric cars for years but companys like gm rounded them all up and trashed them .

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MystikFollower

we do need to move on but its hard when big oil and car companys try to stop any change at every turn . we already have had electric cars for years but companys like gm rounded them all up and trashed them .

dontshackzmii

Yeah and they are the ones who SHOULD be on the forefront of finding alternatives to oil, since I'm sure they realize it's ultimately unsustainable. The people in charge however probably can't see past their own wallets, so they don't care about what could happen in 100 years.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I have Prius so that automatically makes me not addicted anymore.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]we will when it becomes prohibitively expensive. until then...MystikFollower

Unfortunately we probably will end our addiction to oil, when there is no more oil. By that time though, it'll likely be too late and we'll probably destroy ourselves fighting over what's left.

oh its not going to be pleasant.. but i don't see it going down any other way.
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]we will when it becomes prohibitively expensive. until then...comp_atkins

oh its not going to be pleasant.. but i don't see it going down any other way.

Just kinda sucks to know it'll be my kids and grandkids who suffer because of our society's voracious addiction...:( Almost makes me not want to bring children into this world..

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

MystikFollower

Yeah and they are the ones who SHOULD be on the forefront of finding alternatives to oil, since I'm sure they realize it's ultimately unsustainable. The people in charge however probably can't see past their own wallets, so they don't care about what could happen in 100 years.

Business does not care about long term (100 years), it's all about the short term to them. For an example, look at the economic collapse.

IRunNewYork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IRunNewYork
Member since 2009 • 824 Posts

im voting for you during elections my friend

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Because oil is so cheap, and politicians are lazy.

American presidents since LBJ have been promising "radical" energy changes. The only one who did anything somewhat significant was surprisingly Nixon.

sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts
Too much money and politics is involved with getting rid of oil. It could have easily been done by now but it's not in politicians and major business owners best interests.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
The only way to get off of oil would be to tax the hell out of it so that it is relatively more expensive than alternative fuels. Or you could make emissions requirements so stringent, that a combustion engine running on gasoline couldn't possibly meet the new standards.
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

Too much $$ is made by the oil companies and the scumbag politicians who bend rulz for them.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#30 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

I believe theusageof water will becomeadapted and used instead of oil eventually.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
do you even realise all the things we use petro-chemicals for? if you did you'd understand that the only way we'll stop using them are when there's none left
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I'll stop using oil when alternatives become cheaper...

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

nobody wants to do what's hard. as long as things are cheap, and accessible they will continue along this path. They'd rather suffer huge consequences later than minimal ones in the short term. you see this behavior with all forms of capitalism. It does not encourage progress in terms of rationality. It's entirely motivated by profit and accessibility. Why are so many Americans obese? Because food is cheap, specifically the kind you shouldn't be eating. You want whole wheat bread? That's an extra dollar or two per loaf. And most people aren't willing to make those decisions when it comes to money. This is why capitalism is primitive, inefficient economic system that stifles true progress by creating a false sense of progress by showing.. hey look we made more money selling hot dogs than last year. that's how capitalism determines progress. And why oil isnt' going to go away any time soon.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Yes but only if we're allowed to use nuclear power, without it there's no realistic way to meet demands.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 markop2003

I believe theusageof water will becomeadapted and used instead of oil eventually.

The_Gaming_Baby
That's not possible.v Water conists purely of oxygen and hydrogen which are both far too reactive to make substances such as plastics also water is not a hydrocarbon and so does not hold energy that can be released via combustion.
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MystikFollower

nobody wants to do what's hard. as long as things are cheap, and accessible they will continue along this path. They'd rather suffer huge consequences later than minimal ones in the short term. you see this behavior with all forms of capitalism. It does not encourage progress in terms of rationality. It's entirely motivated by profit and accessibility. Why are so many Americans obese? Because food is cheap, specifically the kind you shouldn't be eating. You want whole wheat bread? That's an extra dollar or two per loaf. And most people aren't willing to make those decisions when it comes to money. This is why capitalism is primitive, inefficient economic system that stifles true progress by creating a false sense of progress by showing.. hey look we made more money selling hot dogs than last year. that's how capitalism determines progress. And why oil isnt' going to go away any time soon.

EMOEVOLUTION

Unfortunately you speak truth. I'll be on to another life at least before our world suffers the worst consequences of it's addiction.

ttobba07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 ttobba07
Member since 2005 • 2396 Posts

Honestly I don't think we will break dependance. My strategy for for reducing it is complex though.

-First and formost we need to R&D some sort of synthetic crude oil that can be producing on a cheap and mass level. They have done it at my college but it is a bit expensive but on a mass level price would go down.

-Second would be expanding nuclear energy to a mass level to be used with my third step.

-My third step would be redoing the distribution of the gas tax for funding to redo the national highway infrastructure to include a third set of lanes to the interstate system. That set of lanes would be used to make a rail system similar to the rail system in san francisco used for rail carts. Use it to power a new breed of semis that can run off both electric and diesel. Electric used while on the interstate and diesel used when not. It would make transportation of products cheaper and more efficient. Eventually cars would be able to use that rail system too.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

the problem is we let greedy people who only care about money make all the choices. thats why we been going no where . Most companys will never want to take a hige risk . The government really need to step in and push away from oil .

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
How about we power vehicles with the oxygen from the air, or some kind of static electricity system in the wheels, or electric roads, streets and highways? We can power everything else with some sort of long-lasting, rechargeable batteries. But that's all optimist thinking.
Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
a little late now..
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

Maybe when Tesla Roadsters aren't $100,000+. They need a $10,000 version of the Roadster, then maybe we can start moving people onto electric cars.

Treesmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Treesmash
Member since 2010 • 541 Posts
we will when it becomes prohibitively expensive. until then...comp_atkins
What? Why would we wait until it becomes prohibitively expensive?
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MystikFollower

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]we will when it becomes prohibitively expensive. until then...Treesmash
What? Why would we wait until it becomes prohibitively expensive?

Because society will go for the easier more destructive path any day over what is the more intelligent course of action just to save a few bucks.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 markop2003
[QUOTE="CRS98"]How about we power vehicles with the oxygen from the air, or some kind of static electricity system in the wheels, or electric roads, streets and highways?

1. Not possible with just oxygen. Really with a fuel that's just combustion which is already used. 2. Wouldn't work as you'ld nee to use more power to generate the static than you'ld generate. 3. Actually this has sort of been proposed. It wasn't exactly this but wireless electricity which was propossed by Tesla however the problem was everyone would steal it. Also switching to electricity dosn't really solve anything as most electricity is generated from fossil fuels also it would basically make cars into electric trains and just normal electric trains would be easier to produce.
chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts
The technology is getting easier and cheaper? What technology? Tell me, what source of energy do we have available that can currently totally replace our reliance on oil?ElZilcho90
nuclear, if the public opinion wasn't so deadset against it.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
It's so integrated into the global society that if we just stop completely, everything will collapse. We have to slowly force ourselves off the oil. The only problems are there's no cheap, unlimited, and pollution free energy source anywhere. We probably would have to make synthetic oil and I fear that we will destroy ourselves long before that happens either by massive pollution of Earth or wars that ultimately end in a nuclear holocaust.
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MystikFollower

It's so integrated into the global society that if we just stop completely, everything will collapse. We have to slowly force ourselves off the oil. The only problems are there's no cheap, unlimited, and pollution free energy source anywhere. We probably would have to make synthetic oil and I fear that we will destroy ourselves long before that happens either by massive pollution of Earth or wars that ultimately end in a nuclear holocaust. l4dak47

So basically in this situation we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't huh?

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 l4dak47
[QUOTE="ElZilcho90"]The technology is getting easier and cheaper? What technology? Tell me, what source of energy do we have available that can currently totally replace our reliance on oil?chopperdave447
nuclear, if the public opinion wasn't so deadset against it.

Nuclear is a great option, but it won't replace oil since oil is basically used in everything now.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]It's so integrated into the global society that if we just stop completely, everything will collapse. We have to slowly force ourselves off the oil. The only problems are there's no cheap, unlimited, and pollution free energy source anywhere. We probably would have to make synthetic oil and I fear that we will destroy ourselves long before that happens either by massive pollution of Earth or wars that ultimately end in a nuclear holocaust. MystikFollower

So basically in this situation we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't huh?

I sure hope not, but I can assure you that this "modern civilization" won't probably last longer than 2100 without a new energy source to replace oil.
ShAbInAtOr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 ShAbInAtOr
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
[QUOTE="bsman00"][QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

Money its as simple as that... you cant make money off the sun or wind

THe Europeans seem to be doing just fine.