"IT" Chapter 2 wins the box office weekend but only because it's one of those top anticipated movies around!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts
  1. It: Chapter 2 - $91.0 Million (new release)
  2. Angel Has Fallen - $6.0 Million
  3. Good Boys - $5.3 Million
  4. The Lion King - $4.1 Million
  5. Overcomer - $3.75 Million
  6. Hobbs & Shaw - $3.72 Million
  7. The Peanut Butter Falcon - $2.276 Million
  8. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - $2.275 Million
  9. Ready or Not - $2.22 Million
  10. Dora and the Lost City of Gold - $2.1 Million

No surprise IT was gonna be the clear winner as far as horror goes and the only new release just gave it a justify victory. Saw IT Chapter 2 and wasn't as good as the first one but a decent flick to it's final conclusion.

September 6-8 mojo's box office weekend

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Ugh, not earned. IT 2 was awful, I ended up walking out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Wow, that bad!?

And IT part 1 was so good, too.

What was so terrible about it?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Wow, that bad!?

The main issue I have (and probably everyone else is) with Chapter 2 is the lack of Goonies vibe we got out of the first IT movie. I think the reason the first was so good was cause it had that kind of Goonies vibe going for that work so well in today's standards in a horror flick. Even the original Goonie had that little scare moments when the kids were actually kids who cuss and be kids on a big adventure with real dangers. Can't really recreate that with adult characters and that's the problem I had with Chapter 2.

I enjoy it. Not perfect, but I was okay with it, but it's not as good as chapter 1.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MirkoS77

@mrbojangles25 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Wow, that bad!?

I wrote a review on IMDB about it, I'll just repost it here. Kind of long:

"Look, I don't mind being entertained at the movies, but there does come the expectation with such an adaptation of one of the best and most beloved horror novels ever written that it accord some respect while remaining true to the source material.

Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen a film that's so tonally inconsistent as I have here. I could never tell if it was attempting to set a somber, threatening, foreboding feeling, or create an atmosphere conducive towards a lighthearted, hilarious jump-scare filled marathon. In one moment it hangs heavy in emotional gravitas (the opening scene is especially brutal and difficult to watch, and Stanley's suicide is also fairly dark), and the next, it's so ludicrously over the top and in your face in its execution of its so-called "horror" elements that it produces a jarring sense of extreme tonal discord. What exactly is this film attempting to accomplish? The horror was so absurdly comedic both in explicitness and execution (not helped by questionable effects work) that I'm forced to assume that was the intent. Yet in taking such an approach, it effectively nullified the entire foundation that the movie required to establish and help foment the dreadful tension, atmosphere, and tone necessitated by the narrative (and of which the book was so dependent on and made it so stellar), and further relegated all the work by the actors and all other aspects of the film that had helped establish it up to that point void. If it wasn't intentional, then it does nothing so well as to demonstrate how the filmmakers hold a fundamental misunderstanding of what true horror really entails.

"IT Chapter Two" spends much of its time going through a brainless, by the numbers checklist of the characters recovering their artifacts from their youths, to the same tired, brainless, by the numbers predictable jump scares thrown at you one after the other which you can see coming from a million miles off, which further robbed them of all their potency. I literally fell asleep at one point. How am I supposed to care at all about the protagonists' plight when their antagonist and its supposedly evil forms are stripped of all of their malevolence and are instead displayed in such a formulaic, repetitive, explicit, and laughable manner? I know "IT" manifests itself also as a clown, but that doesn't mean Pennywise (and the fear tactics he used on his victims) weren't terrifying. They were in the novel, and here they're not in the slightest. A little subtlety, suggestion, imagination, minimalism and unpredictability goes a long way and would've done this film wonders, as that's where the real core of any effective horror resides. It would've not only have helped maintain tonal consistency, it would've made it genuinely unsettling. Less is more. My theatre was howling in laughter at every turn, and I'm completely left at a loss as to whether that was what the director intended.

This film was boring, inconsistent, predictable, ludicrously (and unintentionally?) hilarious, overly drawn out, and a downright insult to King, who I'm shocked made the cameo he did in tacit approval of this screen adaptation abomination of his finest work. The abysmal execution robbed me of all interest in witnessing The Losers' Club finally confront this ultimate evil terrorizing a small Maine town every 27 years, because in the end, it wasn't an ultimate evil at all......it was a goddamn mockery of one.

And as such, I walked out. Truly, truly awful."

That's essentially my problem with it. I didn't feel it knew what type of film it really wanted to be, and due to that, it invalidated each that it tried to be. At points it tried to play serious, and at all others it was stupidly absurd. This was present in the first film, but not as much. You can't have it both ways....either make it a comedy like Army Of Darkness, or make it a horror, like King intended it. You try to please everyone, and you please no one.

/rant.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@MirkoS77: Wow, people actually laughed at it? That does not bode well at all.

Sounds like "IT: The Mel Brooks Parody" :(

IT is supposed to be terrifying and depressing. Not necessarily scary, but terrifying.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator

@MirkoS77: Also, not enough Pennywise in the film at all! I was like WTF?!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MirkoS77

@mrbojangles25: yep, there was far more laughter in this than I've heard in comedies. Again, I couldn't tell if this was intentional, but for the director's sake I hope it is.

Man, I don't know if it's due to how movies have transformed into nothing but vessels for commercial exploitation so they intentionally disrespect the source material to make it laughable solely for the sake of amusement, or if it's a genuine lack of writing talent and misconception of the fundamental underpinning of narrative consequence, but it's sad to see how hard these movies fail due to these. IT deserved better.

@davillain-: more Pennywise would've been nice to see for sure. I found the scene under the bleachers during the softball game one of the highlights.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mrbojangles25: @davillain-:

I actually loved It Chapter 2. I thought it was pretty scary and funny at the same time! But not in the "It's hilariously bad" way. The movie made plenty of moments you were supposed to laugh at. Like when Richie and what's-his-name said went through the "Not Scary at All" door and found a cute pomeranian puppy and said, "Yeah. I'm not falling for this shít..." That was awesome! Or in the dinner reunion when the visions stopped midway and it showed the guys destroying the table, fighting nothing.

I feel like IT Chapter 2 was supposed to be campy in that regard. To show us how far the kids have come. How much stronger they are now and to well....wrap things up once and for all. True enough, when you get down to the nitty-gritty of what the REAL story behind IT is supposed to be; you realize how crazy and stupid IT really is. And this goes back to the original story of IT the book. There was no better way of ending IT Chapter 2 than how they did. And if anything, we should all be glad that they diverted from the book as much as they did. A personal 8/10 from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I knew what the director was aiming for when they cast Bill Hader as Richie. The movie was supposed to be funny. Just like how the original was. They listened to the feedback of the critics.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Just finished watching IT 2. It was just ok didn't care for all the humor I didn't find it funny just lame. Pennywise had so many moments to kill all of them I honestly wish he did or just kept a couple of them alive. He really seemed weak to me in this movie and not scary like he did in the first one it felt to cartoonish. Also on a sidenote I have to nickpick something that kinda of annoyed me the flashbacks to 1989 the scene with Richie at the arcade. There is a Mortal Kombat arcade machine that didn't come out until 1992 can't believe they screwed something up that simple.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sounds like "IT: The Mel Brooks Parody" :(

IT 2: The Search For More Money

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

I really enjoyed it.

'I thought it was going to be like the goonies.....'

Oh brother.

And the two Bills were worth the entry fee alone.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

7/10 The filmmakers cursed themselves by making fun of endings.