Is worship of Mary a biblical teaching ?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
No, but they certainly suck her c*ck a lot.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#52 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Nope. Catholic.
conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]- Mary did not consort with God, despite what the quran might tell you.worlock77

Pretty sure the Qur'an does not claim anything of the sort.

This and us muslims hold her as one of the most blessed women to walk the earth and there is even an entire chapter in the quran named after her so stop believing nonsense on the internet designed to spread hatred.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

They are using fluttery speech to ask mary for a favor.

Ace6301
I said he's not too far off, but noted he wasn't correct. Also given the way Catholics believe saints and martyrs work asking them for a favor is essentially a prayer. Look up intercession. Not to mention Prayer is in effect asking something for a favour.

Prayer can be done for many reasons.....it is after all just a communication. Nonetheless Catholics don't worship saints nor Mary. They hold them as holy people and ask for help. He was totally wrong....
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Worship/ Extreme adoration of Mary is heretical. Mary was just an ordinary woman and unlike Jesus she was not sinless. Furthermore, praying to or through Mary is pointless because she is dead (i.e. she does not exist). Until the Day of Judgment when everyone who has lived is resurrected, she will remain dead. That's that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic

Worship/ Extreme adoration of Mary is heretical. Mary was just an ordinary woman and unlike Jesus she was not sinless. Furthermore, praying to or through Mary is pointless because she is dead (i.e. she does not exist). Until the Day of Judgment when everyone who has lived is resurrected, she will remain dead. That's that.

BluRayHiDef
You really need to 1...understand the religions in questions and 2....learn what heresy is. Thus far you use it improperly. We get it...you hate religion. Learn some tolerance and quite being a tool about it.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#57 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

It is a Catholic teaching, not biblical. As I've stated in another post, the Catholic Church, promotes all sorts of things that are not biblical, hence the issue with the Catholic Church and the negative outlook on Christianity in general.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic

It is a Catholic teaching, not biblical. As I've stated in another post, the Catholic Church, promotes all sorts of things that are not biblical, hence the issue with the Catholic Church and the negative outlook on Christianity in general.

lowkey254
You as well need to educate yourself first......
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

LJS9502_basic

You really need to 1...understand the religions in questions and 2....learn what heresy is. Thus far you use it improperly. We get it...you hate religion. Learn some tolerance and quite being a tool about it.

I hate only false religion. The true religion is that of the Bible.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="lowkey254"]

LJS9502_basic

He speaks the truth.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

BluRayHiDef

I hate only false religion. The true religion is that of the Bible.

Considering the text chosen to be put in the Bible came from organized religion....that seems rather a silly statement.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lowkey254"]

BluRayHiDef

He speaks the truth.

Considering he's ignorant of Catholic teachings seems rather foolish to hold him up as an authority and more like you just want someone to side with your ignorance and intolerance.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. tenaka2

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

We had to pray to Mary a lot, are you sure that isn't worship?

You said the words yet you don't even know what they're saying.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. Chutebox

The Lord is with thee.
pray for us sinners,
Amen.

There's a lot of that going around when ever the Catholic Church gets mentioned....
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

The Lord is with thee.
pray for us sinners,
Amen.

LJS9502_basic

There's a lot of that going around when ever the Catholic Church gets mentioned....

I am just saying it was a very common prayer in Ireland, pretty big on Mary there, I never thought to think about it but prayer seemed like worship to me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Chutebox"] You said the words yet you don't even know what they're saying.tenaka2

I am just saying it was a very common prayer in Ireland, pretty big on Mary there, I never thought to think about it but prayer seemed like worship to me.

Oh well it's not. She is considered an important person what with being the Mother of God and all...yes Jesus is God....and it's basically just a prayer asking for her intercession or her prayers to God as it were. Catholics certainly don't worship her. Several Catholics have answered this question in this thread....and I'd think that should be enough. I realize not everyone is knowledgeable but they need not continue to believe the skewed view that is presented about Catholics..no?
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Do people actually think the term Theotokos (Mother of God) attributes divinity unto Mary? And if asking intercession of Mary makes her God does that then make all the saints God?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LJS9502_basic

Do people actually think the term Theotokos (Mother of God) attributes divinity unto Mary? And if asking intercession of Mary makes her God does that then make all the saints God?

Philokalia
People don't understand Catholics at all. I've been called a cannibal and a vampire. Also told I worship Mary etc etc. It's odd how comfortable people are with being sheep and not looking into things for themselves.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

People don't understand Catholics at all. I've been called a cannibal and a vampire. Also told I worship Mary etc etc. It's odd how comfortable people are with being sheep and not looking into things for themselves.LJS9502_basic

Ah fundamentalists. I am curious as to why the atheists are siding with them in this argument despite not knowing anything or little about the topic.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] People don't understand Catholics at all. I've been called a cannibal and a vampire. Also told I worship Mary etc etc. It's odd how comfortable people are with being sheep and not looking into things for themselves.Philokalia

Ah fundamentalists. I am curious as to why the atheists are siding with them in this argument despite not knowing anything or little about the topic.

Religion is the last thing you can be intolerant about and spew hate.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

LJS9502_basic

People don't understand Catholics at all. I've been called a cannibal and a vampire. Also told I worship Mary etc etc. It's odd how comfortable people are with being sheep and not looking into things for themselves.

I am no longer religious but when I was Catholic I heard very similar things from the Protestants at my high school, they made fun of us so much for "worshipping" Mary as well. It's strange how people can call themselves Christians without knowing any of the actual differences between the different subsects of Christianity

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Philokalia"]

Bane_09

I am no longer religious but when I was Catholic I heard very similar things from the Protestants at my high school, they made fun of us so much for "worshipping" Mary as well. It's strange how people can call themselves Christians without knowing any of the actual differences between the different subsects of Christianity

Most differences aren't major. I find them interesting nonetheless...and I'd not put down their beliefs because they aren't exactly mine. Odd how ignorant people can still be in 2012 though....
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

Most differences aren't major. I find them interesting nonetheless...and I'd not put down their beliefs because they aren't exactly mine. Odd how ignorant people can still be in 2012 though....LJS9502_basic

Yes, studying religion can be very interesting. I just always thought it was basic stuff that most people would have learned in sunday school but maybe they don't do that anymore

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

They are using fluttery speech to ask mary for a favor.

LJS9502_basic
I said he's not too far off, but noted he wasn't correct. Also given the way Catholics believe saints and martyrs work asking them for a favor is essentially a prayer. Look up intercession. Not to mention Prayer is in effect asking something for a favour.

Prayer can be done for many reasons.....it is after all just a communication. Nonetheless Catholics don't worship saints nor Mary. They hold them as holy people and ask for help. He was totally wrong....

He said that they give prayer to Mary. They do. You even admit that. He was not totally wrong, he was wrong in parts and which parts I pointed out. I myself never said they worship Mary. The only time I even mentioned worship was jokingly when someone said a Hail Mary was comparable to hailing a taxi. If you want to get upset over a joke then by all means be my guest.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] I said he's not too far off, but noted he wasn't correct. Also given the way Catholics believe saints and martyrs work asking them for a favor is essentially a prayer. Look up intercession. Not to mention Prayer is in effect asking something for a favour.

He said that they give prayer to Mary. They do. You even admit that. He was not totally wrong, he was wrong in parts and which parts I pointed out. I myself never said they worship Mary. The only time I even mentioned worship was jokingly when someone said a Hail Mary was comparable to hailing a taxi. If you want to get upset over a joke then by all means be my guest.

I'm not upset about anything.:|
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 LJS9502_basic
Okay I am a bit annoyed with Bonk today. Anyone else getting this?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Okay I am a bit annoyed with Bonk today. Anyone else getting this?LJS9502_basic
Yes. Easily the most annoying thing on this forum.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Too lazy to look for the quote but i am for certain while Mary was virgin and this includes for every virgin women, they are considered holy as virgins. having closer connections with God. she had more kids and lost her virginity making her just another women
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
You're not supposed to worship anyone but God. However, Mary is often prayed to, like any other saint.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

BluRayHiDef
According to Catholic belief, Mary ascended into Heaven alive.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Where in the Bible says Christians to worship Mary ? Isn't it a heretic teaching ?

jackfruitchips

my observation is if you hold still for a few mins those dudes will worship you.

there is an entire plethora of demi gods that are in charge of different shyt.

lets say you are a gardener with an std.

then st. fiacre has your back.

want your fireworks display to go well? then pray to st. barbara.

don't know who to pray to?

then pray to this dog.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSyUHDp6l8pwzWJh5_2XA

monotheism is for suckers.;)

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#83 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] Yes they name a lot of churches after her, they say paryers to her, they have hymns to praise her, they worship her on Saturdays (Sndays are for God and Jesus, they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... whipassmt

Please educate yourself before spouting this. We do not worship her or pray to her. Never. And there is Holy Mass on Saturday's too (evening).

I think there is Mass on weekdays as well and pretty much everyday except for Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

Yes there is mass on weekdays, I go everyday. In fact it is necessary for a priest to say mass everyday.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

harashawn
According to Catholic belief, Mary ascended into Heaven alive.

Actually alive or dead is not stated in any doctrine. The belief simply states that she was assumed into heaven body and soul. She could have been dead or alive, it isn't stated either way.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. Bane_09

This^

It's a fairly basic teaching and most people should know this with a simple google search

I WAS a Catholic. I know that Catholics say they don't worship Mary, they just honor, devote or venerate her but in my view that's just a lie. They worship Mary.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 jackfruitchips

[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"]they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... worlock77

No. The month of May is named after Maia, a Greek/Roman fertility goddess, not after Mary.

You misundertood. I didn't say May is named after Mary. May is dedicated to Mary in the Catholicism. http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/overviews/months/05_1.cfm
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. jackfruitchips

This^

It's a fairly basic teaching and most people should know this with a simple google search

I WAS a Catholic. I know that Catholics say they don't worship Mary, they just honor, devote or venerate her but in my view that's just a lie. They worship Mary.

So you didn't understand the premise of Catholicism and made this thread to troll because you're a cool teenaged atheist with a keyboard?
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="Bane_09"]

This^

LJS9502_basic

So you didn't understand the premise of Catholicism and made this thread to troll because you're a cool teenaged atheist with a keyboard?

So someone having different view means he didn't understand and troll ? How you know I'm a teenage atheist ? Fail :lol:
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] I WAS a Catholic. I know that Catholics say they don't worship Mary, they just honor, devote or venerate her but in my view that's just a lie. They worship Mary.

So someone having different view means he didn't understand and troll ? How you know I'm a teenage atheist ? Fail :lol:

You didn't share a different view....you flat out lied about a religious tenet.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]So you didn't understand the premise of Catholicism and made this thread to troll because you're a cool teenaged atheist with a keyboard?LJS9502_basic

WTF are you talking ? I did stated that Catholics worship Mary via hyms, prayers, rosary, churches named after her, the whole month of May each year is devoted to Mary, Saturdays are dedicated to her ... These are FACTS. I was a devout Catholic, I know catholic doctrines much more than you little kid, I used to defend my faith agianst atheists and Protestants ... so I lol'd at you and other guys who laughed at me since you fools assumes I don't know a sh1t about Catholicism. So I flat lied just because I have a different view from Catholics ? Cool
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] So someone having different view means he didn't understand and troll ? How you know I'm a teenage atheist ? Fail :lol:

WTF are you talking ? I did stated that Catholics worship Mary via hyms, prayers, rosary, churches named after her, the whole month of May each year is devoted to Mary, Saturdays are dedicated to her ... These are FACTS. I was a devout Catholic, I know catholic doctrines much more than you little kid, I used to defend my faith agianst atheists and Protestants ... so I lol'd at you and other guys who laughed at me since you fools assumes I don't know a sh1t about Catholicism. So I flat lied just because I have a different view from Catholics ? Cool

Catholics don't worship Mary. It's that simple. Little kid?:lol: I was a practicing Catholic while you were still wetting your pants junior.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You didn't share a different view....you flat out lied about a religious tenet.LJS9502_basic

Catholics don't worship Mary. It's that simple. Little kid?:lol: I was a practicing Catholic while you were still wetting your pants junior.

Yeah Catholics don't worship Mary because that's what the Catholic Church tell you right ? You kid like other Catholics are brainwashed by Catholic Church and you're uable to think for yourself.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] WTF are you talking ? I did stated that Catholics worship Mary via hyms, prayers, rosary, churches named after her, the whole month of May each year is devoted to Mary, Saturdays are dedicated to her ... These are FACTS. I was a devout Catholic, I know catholic doctrines much more than you little kid, I used to defend my faith agianst atheists and Protestants ... so I lol'd at you and other guys who laughed at me since you fools assumes I don't know a sh1t about Catholicism. So I flat lied just because I have a different view from Catholics ? Cooljackfruitchips

Yeah Catholics don't worship Mary because that's what the Catholic Church tell you right ? You kid like other Catholics are brainwashed by Catholic Church and you're uable to think for yourself.

I know we don't worship her because 1....we haven't been told to do so and 2...I know I don't. But hey if your insecurities must manifest themselves by bashing the faith of others who am I to stop you. But don't expect me to take you seriously when you spout untruths......

troll thread

jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 jackfruitchips

[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Catholics don't worship Mary. It's that simple. Little kid?:lol: I was a practicing Catholic while you were still wetting your pants junior.LJS9502_basic

I know we don't worship her because 1....we haven't been told to do so and 2...I know I don't. But hey if your insecurities must manifest themselves by bashing the faith of others who am I to stop you. But don't expect me to take you seriously when you spout untruths......

troll thread

You think you don't worship her because you haven't been to do so. Right. Because the Catholic Church tells you it's just veneration, not worship. And you believe whatever she says. It's like a father tell his son to steal, and say it's not stealing, it's just borrowing and the son thinks it's actually not stealing. :lol: Oh, sharing a different view means bashing other faith and it's a troll thread ? So every religions thread in OT is troll thread right ? Tbh, who give a f*** if you don't take me seriously ? GTFO

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] Yeah Catholics don't worship Mary because that's what the Catholic Church tell you right ? You kid like other Catholics are brainwashed by Catholic Church and you're uable to think for yourself.jackfruitchips

troll thread

You think you don't worship her because you haven't been to do so. Right. Because the Catholic Church tells you it's just veneration, not worship. And you believe whatever she says. It's like a father tell his son to steal, and say it's not stealing, it's just borrowing and the son thinks it's actually not stealing. :lol: Oh, sharing a different view mean bashing other faith and it's a troll thread ? So every religions thread in OT is troll thread right ? Tbh, who give a f*** if you don't take me seriously ? GTFO

You are totally clueless....troll elsewhere.
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Catholics don't worship Mary. It's that simple. Little kid?:lol: I was a practicing Catholic while you were still wetting your pants junior.LJS9502_basic

troll thread

According to this it is quite common for Catholics to worship Saints.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/religions/pagan/italy_pagan_country.htm

jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You didn't share a different view....you flat out lied about a religious tenet.thegerg

This man is telling you that he doesn't worship Mary, and you're trying to tell him that he does? What kind of idiotic argument are you trying to make?

I showed some of the reasons why I think they worship, not venerate Mary. How is that idiotic argument ?
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="thegerg"] This man is telling you that he doesn't worship Mary, and you're trying to tell him that he does? What kind of idiotic argument are you trying to make?

I showed some of the reasons why I think they worship, not venerate Mary. How is that idiotic argument ?

Your argument is idiotic because a mn is telling you that he doesn't worship something, but you're trying to tell him that he does worship that thing. Why would he lie bout what he worships and what in the hell makes you think you know what he worships? It's clear that all that time you've been spending worshiping Hitler has impacted your critical thinking skills.

People can be honest and be wrong at the same time, idiot. You're another brainwahsed kid like him now GTFO