Is there a point where technology gets stupid?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

When we just start making technology for the sake of it...stupid technology that is not really necessary and that its actually not improving anything.

I just saw a commercial of a computer which monitor is completly touch controlled, I believe the computer lacks keyboard and mouse (they were nowhere in the ad) and then a family saw the computer and started touching and they got like "OH WOW IM TOUCHING THE MONITOR!"

my point is...is this really necessary? or even useful? why would you want a computer like that? its much much much much better to control it with mouse and keyboard...its just plain stupid.

and then you have other things like voice controlled TVs or lights...why? theres already remote controllers that do the job very simple...while voice control is very limited...imagine if you are surfing channels...with a controller you just have to push a button, with voice it would be like "switch chanel, switch chanel, switch chanel" and repeat that phrase like 100 times...not to mention it would be pretty annoying if there is someone sleeping in your room.

then theres flying cars, which I dont even need to explain why are so stupid.

and even motion gaming...or the robots that they make to take the jobs away from other people...like those waitress robots or even the robot nurse prototype.

seriously too much technology is just plain stupid

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

those things you were talking about are called gimmicks

Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts

There is a point where anything can get stupid, technology is no exception to that.
People just love touch screens.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
It's the reason why I stay away from products like Kinect, I just don't see the point in saying something like 'Xbox - Pause' when I can just do it myself quicker with a controller. I HATE touch screen computers, no matter how advanced it'll get (ala Minority Report) it's just no substitute for a keyboard and mouse. Sorry but I just can't see many people wearing a glove and waving their hands all over the place just to do something that can be done just as easily as k&m.
Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts

The ipad

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Those are called gimmicks, they'll always be around.
ScottMescudi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ScottMescudi
Member since 2011 • 1550 Posts

The Kindle/Nook. Like seriously?

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

The ipad

Tokugawa77
Yes, that is a good example
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#9 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

I agree with you TC. Hence I like PC gaming, I think mouse and keyboard are just fine for gaming, not to mention, you have better and faster accuracy.

I have still have yet to find a toilet that wipes my a$$ though. :P

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

ScottMescudi

My mom got one and said it was much easier to go and buy the actual book.

MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 MikeLirette
Member since 2005 • 4697 Posts
I agree with topic creator on all points.. Technology when used inefficiently is not really technology at all.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
I fail to see how anything you've mentioned is stupid. They arent removing or supplanting existing options; they are only adding options that may or may not be useful to you. I could definitely benefit from a touchscreen. I have 6 computers throughout my house. Some of them dont have a monitor attached to them as they really dont need it (like my file/media server), but once in a while i need to perform some basic menial task like updating and restarting the machine. A touch screen will allow me to do so without having to also have a mouse and keyboard attached. I see nothing wrong with voice activated lights or tv. No you wouldn't use the voice as the primary control method for a tv, but for simple quick actions, its great. Just say "Weather Channel" if you're far from the TV or the remote to get a quick glance at the weather. You find the concept of personal flying transportation stupid? Do you also find the concept of cars stupid? Its the same thing but even better. Motion control gaming has so far been a gimmick, but plenty of hacks using Kinnect have made some pretty useful or cool results. And robots are far better than people for many tasks. Perhaps not so much for social interaction tasks like described, but i know i'd much rather have my car built by a robot than by hand. Its the main contributing factor to cheaper cars today. I think you have no imagination.
ScottMescudi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ScottMescudi
Member since 2011 • 1550 Posts

[QUOTE="ScottMescudi"]

zeldaluff

No offense, but she couldn't just read the thing? I mean does she really need to read a book electronically? :P
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Technology isn't stupid however companies sometimes release stupid products.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#15 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Wall-E

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lightleggy
Wait...kindles are great, great ebook readers, yes I rather have my kindle in my backpack along with my e book collection (around 100) than carrying those 100 books with me all the time. besides kindles do more than reading, and the books are cheaper in digital.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

I fail to see how anything you've mentioned is stupid. They arent removing or supplanting existing options; they are only adding options that may or may not be useful to you. I could definitely benefit from a touchscreen. I have 6 computers throughout my house. Some of them dont have a monitor attached to them as they really dont need it (like my file/media server), but once in a while i need to perform some basic menial task like updating and restarting the machine. A touch screen will allow me to do so without having to also have a mouse and keyboard attached. I see nothing wrong with voice activated lights or tv. No you wouldn't use the voice as the primary control method for a tv, but for simple quick actions, its great. Just say "Weather Channel" if you're far from the TV or the remote to get a quick glance at the weather. You find the concept of personal flying transportation stupid? Do you also find the concept of cars stupid? Its the same thing but even better. Motion control gaming has so far been a gimmick, but plenty of hacks using Kinnect have made some pretty useful or cool results. And robots are far better than people for many tasks. Perhaps not so much for social interaction tasks like described, but i know i'd much rather have my car built by a robot than by hand. Its the main contributing factor to cheaper cars today. I think you have no imagination.XaosII

^pretty much all of this

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="zeldaluff"]

[QUOTE="ScottMescudi"]

ScottMescudi

No offense, but she couldn't just read the thing? I mean does she really need to read a book electronically? :P

It was a gift :P We both prefer physical copies of books.

awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 awesome3496
Member since 2008 • 2209 Posts
Robots doing our jobs is kinda scary. I don't know if I should trust a robot making my Big Mac.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Wait...kindles are great, great ebook readers, yes I rather have my kindle in my backpack along with my e book collection (around 100) than carrying those 100 books with me all the time. besides kindles do more than reading, and the books are cheaper in digital.lightleggy
yeah, I don't understand the kindle hate, my sister has one and it's amazing
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KiIIyou
Robots doing our jobs is kinda scary. I don't know if I should trust a robot making my Big Mac.awesome3496
THey won't drip their juices on your food like people.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Development of technology has followed a cycle historically. That means that we create technology to fulfill a necessity, that technology creates further necessities in turn and then we create more technology to fulfill those necessities and the cycle perpetuates. What happens now is that the capitalist system has given companies the obligation to create necessities so it is the job of many companies to do that. Some succeed some don't either way, IMO, humanity looks more stupid every minute specially considering how useless is all the technology we have in solving some of the most pressing issues and in fact, technology is probably helping to create them.
awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 awesome3496
[QUOTE="awesome3496"]Robots doing our jobs is kinda scary. I don't know if I should trust a robot making my Big Mac.KiIIyou

Yes that's true, but what if they take over and start killing us through fast food?
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KiIIyou
[QUOTE="KiIIyou"][QUOTE="awesome3496"]Robots doing our jobs is kinda scary. I don't know if I should trust a robot making my Big Mac.awesome3496

Yes that's true, but what if they take over and start killing us through fast food?

That only happens when wizards make robots, putting all the secret science things inside em and all that. :3
awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 awesome3496
[QUOTE="awesome3496"][QUOTE="KiIIyou"]THey won't drip their juices on your food like people.KiIIyou

That only happens when wizards make robots, putting all the secret science things inside em and all that. :3

I'm pretty sure our world is smart enough to do that. Haha I'm funny.
Avatar image for pokemondude2012
pokemondude2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pokemondude2012
Member since 2010 • 5938 Posts
Kindles and ipads are great tech. Why is there hate?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

A touch monitor is awsome, pitty you can't use a pen to draw. Or can you? Those things are more usefull then a 360, that's for sure.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

You would be surprised what people said was stupid 20 years ago that EVERYBODY feels they can't do without now. For example, 3D was considered a gimmick but it's still here and even put into video games and phones now. I bet the original concept of Facebook was considered dumb to most people (some still consider it dumb now) but that didn't stop it from being embraced by hundreds of millions of people around the world.

The fact of the matter is that not everybody will have the same tastes in technology. One man's trash is another man's treasure, for example. I bought Kinect and to this day I haven't bought a single game for it. But I know other people who are in love with it and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Touch screen computers may suck to you but other people are in love with them (also, you can get a keyboard with the computer if you don't want to use the screen).

There are stupid things that get invented and go the way of the Betamax. That doesn't mean every single thing you don't like is stupid.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Yeah, I think we are at the point where technology has gotten stupid to a point.

Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts

ScottMescudi
Are you serious? The Kindle is a great piece of tech. You'd rather carry around all of your favorite books physically then having them all on one device digitally? And not to mention digital boos are much cheaper than actual copies. It's also convenient for people who don't want to carry around all their favorite books and it also saves up on cash. How is that stupid tech?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Electronic backscratcher.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts
Wait...kindles are great, great ebook readers, yes I rather have my kindle in my backpack along with my e book collection (around 100) than carrying those 100 books with me all the time. besides kindles do more than reading, and the books are cheaper in digital.lightleggy
Why would you need 100 books with you all the time? Also, I don't believe digital copies are much cheaper than paperbacks...they tend to be pretty similar. Obviously it's just down to personal preference.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I shan't bother with a touchscreen computer until someone develops one like Tony Stark's ;)

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Wait...kindles are great, great ebook readers, yes I rather have my kindle in my backpack along with my e book collection (around 100) than carrying those 100 books with me all the time. besides kindles do more than reading, and the books are cheaper in digital.DarthJohnova
Why would you need 100 books with you all the time? Also, I don't believe digital copies are much cheaper than paperbacks...they tend to be pretty similar. Obviously it's just down to personal preference.

Carrying around 100 books isn't necessary for anybody, but it's more intuitive to use a Kindle than a book. It's also very nice to just download a book on the fly rather than hunt one down at the book store.

A lot of times, technology is developed before people know how to use them. Touch screens have been around in some form for years. They were nothing more than glorified mice. Then in 2006, some university researchers showed off touch-screen gesture based user-interfaces during a TED talk that became the foundation of a lot of mobile interfaces (that Apple likes to take credit for). Things like pinch to zoom, while a simple idea, took people a long time to think up. Then it took a little longer to think up uses for it.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lightleggy
[QUOTE="XaosII"]I fail to see how anything you've mentioned is stupid. They arent removing or supplanting existing options; they are only adding options that may or may not be useful to you. I could definitely benefit from a touchscreen. I have 6 computers throughout my house. Some of them dont have a monitor attached to them as they really dont need it (like my file/media server), but once in a while i need to perform some basic menial task like updating and restarting the machine. A touch screen will allow me to do so without having to also have a mouse and keyboard attached. I see nothing wrong with voice activated lights or tv. No you wouldn't use the voice as the primary control method for a tv, but for simple quick actions, its great. Just say "Weather Channel" if you're far from the TV or the remote to get a quick glance at the weather. You find the concept of personal flying transportation stupid? Do you also find the concept of cars stupid? Its the same thing but even better. Motion control gaming has so far been a gimmick, but plenty of hacks using Kinnect have made some pretty useful or cool results. And robots are far better than people for many tasks. Perhaps not so much for social interaction tasks like described, but i know i'd much rather have my car built by a robot than by hand. Its the main contributing factor to cheaper cars today. I think you have no imagination.

wait...you actually like the concept of flying cars? how dare you say they are the same as regular cars? im sorry but regular cars dont require crazy amounts of fuel to leave the ground, the city is designed for normal cars, I dont expect anyone to fly over my gate and park his car in my house, and Im sure you wouldnt like to park a flying car in some underground parking lot, also if you crash in a regular car theres a high chance that you survive, and if your car malfunctions you can just pull over, if you crash your flying car not only would you be definitly dead meat at the moment you crash but you would also cause a chain reaction that will make every other flying car near you crash and then you have the falling debris that will fall onto people's head and if your flying car malfunctions you can already saying goodbye to your sorry buttcheeks. flying cars are stupid...try to investigate more about the subject, even renowed engineers say the idea is completly stupid and that it should not even be compared to the invention of regular cars.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
Yes. Just like everything else, technology does have a point where it "gets stupid". I agree that some of the things are useless but they sure can be fun though.:P
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lightleggy
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Wait...kindles are great, great ebook readers, yes I rather have my kindle in my backpack along with my e book collection (around 100) than carrying those 100 books with me all the time. besides kindles do more than reading, and the books are cheaper in digital.DarthJohnova

I dont know about you, but I like reading, and I can finish a book rather fast, plus I have a varied library to choose from, and I can make annotations in my kindle, study the text or recheck a part, and digital books ARE cheaper than paperback, as a matter of fact most of the old, classic books are free in digital edition while they cost around 10 dollars in paperback...I just got dracula from the kindle store for free, and there are tons of great free books, plus imagine you are on a train and you want to read something you dont have, you just have to get to the kindle store and download the book you want. kindles are much better, one of the most common arguments against is "OH BUT IT HAS TEH BATTERY IT NEEDS TO BE CHARGED" yeah well the kindle battery lasts 1 month per charge, yes, 1 month, and 3 weeks if you have the wireless/3g on the kindle is much better than paperback
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 XaosII

wait...you actually like the concept of flying cars? how dare you say they are the same as regular cars? im sorry but regular cars dont require crazy amounts of fuel to leave the ground, the city is designed for normal cars, I dont expect anyone to fly over my gate and park his car in my house, and Im sure you wouldnt like to park a flying car in some underground parking lot, also if you crash in a regular car theres a high chance that you survive, and if your car malfunctions you can just pull over, if you crash your flying car not only would you be definitly dead meat at the moment you crash but you would also cause a chain reaction that will make every other flying car near you crash and then you have the falling debris that will fall onto people's head and if your flying car malfunctions you can already saying goodbye to your sorry buttcheeks. flying cars are stupid...try to investigate more about the subject, even renowed engineers say the idea is completly stupid and that it should not even be compared to the invention of regular cars.lightleggy

Or you dont manually drive a flying car but instead pick a destination and it'll automatically get you there in autopilot. Considering the requirements for flight are much higher than that of a regular car, most people wouldn't bother getting a flying license - take out of the equation the need for hands-on piloting and a pilots license - and you've got yourself a fantastic personal transportation system.

The fact that a flying car wouldn't need to deal with the complexities of traffic, turns, manuvering cities, etc, and its far simpler system to automate. In fact, most jets are pretty much on autopilot for take-off, flying, and landing requiring minimal intervention from an actual pilot.

So no, none of your points have any validity to a well done system. You lack imagination. You're thinking of a car with wings. Thats not practical, and you're right.

50 years ago who the hell imagine a car getting 50 MPG like the prius? Well, why not a system for handling private air transportation.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts

[QUOTE="ScottMescudi"]

zeldaluff

How? You can buy 5 books right on the device at different times. Orrrrrrr you can go and drive to the bookstore, sit in traffic, search the store for the book. Gee, which is easier?
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
I think Tech is making Humans Stupid. Just Sayin...
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
I think Tech is making Humans Stupid. Just Sayin...Easports48
People said the same thing about books.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] wait...you actually like the concept of flying cars? how dare you say they are the same as regular cars? im sorry but regular cars dont require crazy amounts of fuel to leave the ground, the city is designed for normal cars, I dont expect anyone to fly over my gate and park his car in my house, and Im sure you wouldnt like to park a flying car in some underground parking lot, also if you crash in a regular car theres a high chance that you survive, and if your car malfunctions you can just pull over, if you crash your flying car not only would you be definitly dead meat at the moment you crash but you would also cause a chain reaction that will make every other flying car near you crash and then you have the falling debris that will fall onto people's head and if your flying car malfunctions you can already saying goodbye to your sorry buttcheeks. flying cars are stupid...try to investigate more about the subject, even renowed engineers say the idea is completly stupid and that it should not even be compared to the invention of regular cars.XaosII

Or you dont manually drive a flying car but instead pick a destination and it'll automatically get you there in autopilot. Considering the requirements for flight are much higher than that of a regular car, most people wouldn't bother getting a flying license - take out of the equation the need for hands-on piloting and a pilots license - and you've got yourself a fantastic personal transportation system.

The fact that a flying car wouldn't need to deal with the complexities of traffic, turns, manuvering cities, etc, and its far simpler system to automate. In fact, most jets are pretty much on autopilot for take-off, flying, and landing requiring minimal intervention from an actual pilot.

So no, none of your points have any validity to a well done system. You lack imagination. You're thinking of a car with wings. Thats not practical, and you're right.

50 years ago who the hell imagine a car getting 50 MPG like the prius? Well, why not a system for handling private air transportation.

do you really think someone would entrust their life to a computer? and you know, not only you would have a flying car, hundreds of other would have the car as well...it will look like a star wars movie, everybody using flying cars, behind you, below you, above you, in front of you, next to you, fly cars surrounding you in every direction, so many on auto pilot, an accident is bound to happen, jets dont have hundreds of other jets at the same altitude/proximity. and yes there would have to be an established altitude, having everyone flying where they please would be extremely dangerous, and not to mention flying cars are bird killing machines. and the cities are not even designed for flying cars, whole cities would have to be redesigned, would you imagine new york with flying cars? do you think it would look as close it is now? its impossible. its a stupid idea which I hope never succeeds. oh and 50 years ago, we didnt had the analyst and technology we have now, so now we CAN tell how bad it would be to use a flying car, while when the car was invented, and even 50 years ago (note: im not saying cars are 50 years old) people could pretty much just speculate. and its a fact that flying cars require more than twice the amount of gasoline just to take off, beating gravity aint cheap, and they are much much more contaminant. believe me I've actually researched a lot on the subject. flying cars are stupid, they will never work, period.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#43 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] wait...you actually like the concept of flying cars? how dare you say they are the same as regular cars? im sorry but regular cars dont require crazy amounts of fuel to leave the ground, the city is designed for normal cars, I dont expect anyone to fly over my gate and park his car in my house, and Im sure you wouldnt like to park a flying car in some underground parking lot, also if you crash in a regular car theres a high chance that you survive, and if your car malfunctions you can just pull over, if you crash your flying car not only would you be definitly dead meat at the moment you crash but you would also cause a chain reaction that will make every other flying car near you crash and then you have the falling debris that will fall onto people's head and if your flying car malfunctions you can already saying goodbye to your sorry buttcheeks. flying cars are stupid...try to investigate more about the subject, even renowed engineers say the idea is completly stupid and that it should not even be compared to the invention of regular cars.lightleggy

do you really think someone would entrust their life to a computer? and you know, not only you would have a flying car, hundreds of other would have the car as well...it will look like a star wars movie, everybody using flying cars, behind you, below you, above you, in front of you, next to you, fly cars surrounding you in every direction, so many on auto pilot, an accident is bound to happen, jets dont have hundreds of other jets at the same altitude/proximity. and yes there would have to be an established altitude, having everyone flying where they please would be extremely dangerous, and not to mention flying cars are bird killing machines. and the cities are not even designed for flying cars, whole cities would have to be redesigned, would you imagine new york with flying cars? do you think it would look as close it is now? its impossible. its a stupid idea which I hope never succeeds. oh and 50 years ago, we didnt had the analyst and technology we have now, so now we CAN tell how bad it would be to use a flying car, while when the car was invented, and even 50 years ago (note: im not saying cars are 50 years old) people could pretty much just speculate. and its a fact that flying cars require more than twice the amount of gasoline just to take off, beating gravity aint cheap, and they are much much more contaminant. believe me I've actually researched a lot on the subject. flying cars are stupid, they will never work, period.

How about hovercars? I think THEY are possible. But I have limited knowledge on the subject.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ad1x2

flying cars are stupid, they will never work, period.lightleggy

Flying cars will not work with today's technology. However, that doesn't mean a hundred years from now we won't have the technology to have a safe flying car with safety features for if it starts to fall. Also, for all we know by 2050 we could have massive wireless electricity connections powering cars so gas is no longer needed. Only time will tell and while it may not happen in our lifetimes it's naive to assume it will never, ever happen, period.

We have things today that we could have never imagined 30 years ago (who would have ever thought you could watch thousands of movies on your cell phone via Netflix in 1981?) and at the same time even more things we could have never thought of could be here in the year 2081, 2181, or the year 3000. Things you think are stupid now may grow on people in a few years and may feel like a requirement several years later.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
This tech talk makes me think of Back to the Future II. What year did they go to? 2010 I think? Where the ass are my self-tying shoes?
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ad1x2

This tech talk makes me think of Back to the Future II. What year did they go to? 2010 I think? Where the ass are my self-tying shoes?22Toothpicks

2015. We still have four years, so keep hope alive we'll make it to Jaws 19 and Laserdiscs will make a comeback.....

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]This tech talk makes me think of Back to the Future II. What year did they go to? 2010 I think? Where the ass are my self-tying shoes?ad1x2

2015. We still have four years, so keep hope alive we'll make it to Jaws 19 and Laserdiscs will make a comeback.....

If I don't get my self-tying shoes the world is in deep caca. Oh, and hover boards, can't forget the hover boards.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 XaosII

do you really think someone would entrust their life to a computer? and you know, not only you would have a flying car, hundreds of other would have the car as well...it will look like a star wars movie, everybody using flying cars, behind you, below you, above you, in front of you, next to you, fly cars surrounding you in every direction, so many on auto pilot, an accident is bound to happen, jets dont have hundreds of other jets at the same altitude/proximity. and yes there would have to be an established altitude, having everyone flying where they please would be extremely dangerous, and not to mention flying cars are bird killing machines. and the cities are not even designed for flying cars, whole cities would have to be redesigned, would you imagine new york with flying cars? do you think it would look as close it is now? its impossible. its a stupid idea which I hope never succeeds. oh and 50 years ago, we didnt had the analyst and technology we have now, so now we CAN tell how bad it would be to use a flying car, while when the car was invented, and even 50 years ago (note: im not saying cars are 50 years old) people could pretty much just speculate. and its a fact that flying cars require more than twice the amount of gasoline just to take off, beating gravity aint cheap, and they are much much more contaminant. believe me I've actually researched a lot on the subject. flying cars are stupid, they will never work, period.lightleggy

Uhh, you entrust your life to a computer every time you fly in the air.

Yes, with a well done system, hundreds of others would also have flying cars. That would be the goal: cheap personal flying transportation. Your exact arguments are that same ones someone 100 years ago would propose for regular cars "everyone would have them! They would all crash! fuel would be expensive! where you put them?!"

Which is exactly why im saying that a well done system would make flying personal transportation possible.

Yes, i can easily see a city like NYC having them especially to be able to put to use their rooftops as parking spaces. Who cares if it doesn't look like anything as it would today. Thats the price of progress.

Your argument is "I dont like the idea therefore its impossible. Also, i dont like progress."

No, i dont believe that you've done any research. All you've done was come to a conclusion based on your prejudice. You seriously have no imagination. What if they were electric flyiung cars that were launched from a magnetic "cannon" into flying heights and then using long range induction to keep them charged in the air until they reach their destination? That would cost exactly 0 gallons of fuel.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

yeah. makes me wonder if the human race is just getting too lazy.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] do you really think someone would entrust their life to a computer? and you know, not only you would have a flying car, hundreds of other would have the car as well...it will look like a star wars movie, everybody using flying cars, behind you, below you, above you, in front of you, next to you, fly cars surrounding you in every direction, so many on auto pilot, an accident is bound to happen, jets dont have hundreds of other jets at the same altitude/proximity. and yes there would have to be an established altitude, having everyone flying where they please would be extremely dangerous, and not to mention flying cars are bird killing machines. and the cities are not even designed for flying cars, whole cities would have to be redesigned, would you imagine new york with flying cars? do you think it would look as close it is now? its impossible. its a stupid idea which I hope never succeeds. oh and 50 years ago, we didnt had the analyst and technology we have now, so now we CAN tell how bad it would be to use a flying car, while when the car was invented, and even 50 years ago (note: im not saying cars are 50 years old) people could pretty much just speculate. and its a fact that flying cars require more than twice the amount of gasoline just to take off, beating gravity aint cheap, and they are much much more contaminant. believe me I've actually researched a lot on the subject. flying cars are stupid, they will never work, period.XaosII

Uhh, you entrust your life to a computer every time you fly in the air.

Yes, with a well done system, hundreds of others would also have flying cars. That would be the goal: cheap personal flying transportation. Your exact arguments are that same ones someone 100 years ago would propose for regular cars "everyone would have them! They would all crash! fuel would be expensive! where you put them?!"

Which is exactly why im saying that a well done system would make flying personal transportation possible.

Yes, i can easily see a city like NYC having them especially to be able to put to use their rooftops as parking spaces. Who cares if it doesn't look like anything as it would today. Thats the price of progress.

Your argument is "I dont like the idea therefore its impossible. Also, i dont like progress."

No, i dont believe that you've done any research. All you've done was come to a conclusion based on your prejudice. You seriously have no imagination. What if they were electric flyiung cars that were launched from a magnetic "cannon" into flying heights and then using long range induction to keep them charged in the air until they reach their destination? That would cost exactly 0 gallons of fuel.

Lol no, theres a pilot, and yes, the pilot does a lot of work and without him the plane would crash, the computer does something but most of the time is the pilot working, I know my uncle is a pilot. your "well done system" is literally something that only appears in sci fi books...you know current day computers, and yes we have great computers and have advanced a lot in the field, have trouble calculating the trajectory of a baseball traveling at more than 30 kmh? now imagine how would it be trying to calculate the trajectory of more than 300 vehicles flying at like 70kmh. it would be crazyness, and yes there would be traffic because there would be designated virtual highways so that not everyone go where they please. and that just shows you know nothing about architecture...ok so you are saying that the empire state just needs to place cars on the roof? how many cars fit on the roof of that? how many cars fit on a roof? 20 as much, and parking lots have capacity for over 2000 cars, great replacement huh?