Is 'The Dark Knight' far and away the best "superhero" film ever made?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NanakiNebula
Member since 2008 • 604 Posts

I found the film an epic breakthrough for the "comic book film" genre. It's much darker than most superhero films, and encompasses analyses of human society through the Joker's schemes (the boat detonator experiment was well done, for example). To me, TDK is so far ahead of its peers, that it can't really even be compared to say, Iron Man or Spider-Man 2. The two latter films are also largely accepted as excellent superhero movies, but their depth pales in comparison to that of The Dark Knight.

It's very interesting, because the effect of TDK has been dramatic on its own kind. It blurs the lines that typically box in comic book films, such as catering to children or pop mainstream culture. I do believe TDK does some of that catering itself, but not nearly to the extent that every other superhero film has done.

What are your thoughts?

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Yes it is; it's almost insulting that it's labelled as a superhero movie... :x
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Yes. It's the best one I've seen. Comic book movies used to have the stygma of being for nerds, but I think we can attribute a bit of TDK's success to the success of the other films you mentioned, that bridged the gap.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

X-men 2 > The Dark Knight

DJ_Novakain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DJ_Novakain
Member since 2008 • 2147 Posts

Havent seen it yet, but I doubt ill like it more than V for Vendetta...

It premiers at my theater tomorrow so ill find out then...

xNJN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xNJN
Member since 2006 • 1374 Posts
It's Batman! Need anything more be said? I used to sit in my crib as a child singing "na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!!" for hours...
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
Best one I've seen.
xNJN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xNJN
Member since 2006 • 1374 Posts

X-men 2 > The Dark Knight

Oleg_Huzwog

BLASPHEMY!!

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
It's Batman! Need anything more be said? I used to sit in my crib as a child singing "na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!!" for hours...xNJN
I'm glad to see you used the appropriate amount of 'nas'
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

I would agree in saying The Dark Knight is the best comic book film to be released. Really for me, what made it such an amazing film was the joker though. I can't express how big of a deal this character was too me lol. Heath Ledger did a perfect job IMO and the way it all fitted into the film was amazing. (Crashes the mob boss meeting, bank heist) All works to perfection, he can't slip up.

Batman and Two face were both exciting characters aswell and both brought there own thing to the table. I love all the beliefs and things behind each thing they put into the story.

For me, as an overall film this is definitely one of my favourites, top 5 material.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
yea....but its not following the comic books....sooo ya.....
NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NanakiNebula

I see. Most of you agree that it sets the bar.

Oleg_huzwog, could you explain the reasoning behind why you think X-2 is better than TDK? I'd love to debate it.

Also, if any of you would like to read a more full explanation of TDK, visit my blog. I've posted my review there.

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 super_mario_128

I would agree in saying The Dark Knight is the best comic book film to be released. Really for me, what made it such an amazing film was the joker though. I can't express how big of a deal this character was too me lol. Heath Ledger did a perfect job IMO and the way it all fitted into the film was amazing. (Crashes the mob boss meeting, bank heist) All works to perfection, he can't slip up.

Batman and Two face were both exciting characters aswell and both brought there own thing to the table. I love all the beliefs and things behind each thing they put into the story.

For me, as an overall film this is definitely one of my favourites, top 5 material.

Strider_91

I agree. I saw it for the second time today and Ledger was pretty much flawless. He really made the movie. It would not have been as good without him imo.

the_greenzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_greenzero
Member since 2005 • 5006 Posts
I'll admit I haven't seen a movie that good in a long time, props to Nolan.
Cyber-Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Cyber-Shadow
Member since 2008 • 580 Posts
Of course not. It's the best film ever made.
NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NanakiNebula

Strider_91

Absolutely. Ledger was outstanding. A career-defining role for an actor who left too early.

dsan224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 dsan224
Member since 2006 • 1552 Posts
the dark knight is easily the best superhero movie ever made and one of the best movies i've ever seen in my life. definetely in my top 5
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts
It didn't have that corny comic book feel to it, like the Spiderman movies do, so I thought it was better in that regard. I loved the darkness of the Joker obviously, but the movie seemed a bit lame overall to me.
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
Yes. It was Epic.
NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NanakiNebula

It didn't have that corny comic book feel to it, like the Spiderman movies do, so I thought it was better in that regard. I loved the darkness of the Joker obviously, but the movie seemed a bit lame overall to me.nickyb628

Could you explain why?

the_greenzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_greenzero
Member since 2005 • 5006 Posts

Nice sig nicky, but back to the Dark Knight, it had many memorable moments and the first scene is pretty cool.

mohan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mohan88
Member since 2006 • 4839 Posts
Best one I've seen.stevenk4k5
Yes and only Iron Man comes close.
MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
Yes at this point it is the best superhero film, because it goes beyond just a "superhero" film, it's pretty much a Crime/Drama movie.
NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NanakiNebula

Yes at this point it is the best superhero film, because it goes beyond just a "superhero" film, it's pretty much a Crime/Drama movie.MasterKingMP

I would agree. It transcends the genre and expands into an epic crime drama. It's good stuff.

Cyber-Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cyber-Shadow

Why does everyone like Iron Man? It was hardly a comic book movie, and not in a good way like TDK.

There was only about 10 minutes of actual fight scenes, not counting a bunch of terrorists who get their asses kicked at the beginning.

BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

[QUOTE="MasterKingMP"]Yes at this point it is the best superhero film, because it goes beyond just a "superhero" film, it's pretty much a Crime/Drama movie.NanakiNebula

I would agree. It transcends the genre and expands into an epic crime drama. It's good stuff.

I think I'd give it a chance then. I hate superhero movies because they are so uncomplex, cheesy, black and white and generally simple but this one sounds like it's different.

NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NanakiNebula

Why does everyone like Iron Man? It was hardly a comic book movie, and not in a good way like TDK.

There was only about 10 minutes of actual fight scenes, not counting a bunch of terrorists who get their asses kicked at the beginning.

Cyber-Shadow

It takes more skill to make a good film without numerous grandiose fight scenes.

"There was only about 10 minutes of actual fight scenes." That's not very good reasoning.

NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NanakiNebula
[QUOTE="NanakiNebula"]

[QUOTE="MasterKingMP"]Yes at this point it is the best superhero film, because it goes beyond just a "superhero" film, it's pretty much a Crime/Drama movie.BlackAlpha666

I think I'd give it a chance then. I hate superhero movies because they are so uncomplex, black and white and generally simple but this one sounds like it's different.

BlackAlpha, it's definitely worth a shot. Give it a try; it's very different from your typical superhero flick. Read my review in my blog for some more info.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Yes it is; it's almost insulting that it's labelled as a superhero movie... :xsuper_mario_128

Indeed. Batman is definitely NOT either "super" nor a "hero." He is more of an anti-hero than anything, and he's just a normal dude with some peak physical talent and some cool gadgets.
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

This film is the best Ive ever seen, and I have seen alot.

Ledgers last performance was an amazing one. He went out with a huge bang and I will personally never forget his work. He captured the insanity of The Joker. With the insane laugh, the slow type of talking, the scar stories. And we cant forget the magik trick.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

Best Superhero film is arguable. It was definately the best Batman film and in reality, Batman is more of an anti-hero than a superhero.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
It is. Nothing comes close.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
By far...
dsan224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dsan224
the thing that makes the dark knight different from other superhero movies like spider-man, iron man, and superman, is that it centers on the main superhero fighting against some bad guys and then a main villian and blah blah blah its a big happy ending blah blah blah, but in the dark knight the story is more focused on the joker and the crime in the city, and the things the joker does that are bad and what batman does to stop him. the dark knight is much darker and filled with menace than other superhero movies, which makes it different.
Cyber-Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cyber-Shadow
[QUOTE="Cyber-Shadow"]

NanakiNebula

It takes more skill to make a good film without numerous grandiose fight scenes.

"There was only about 10 minutes of actual fight scenes." That's not very good reasoning.

You do have some good points. I'll consider those next time I watch the movie. And I'm not saying that it's not a terrible movie, I just think it could have been much better.
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nickyb628

[QUOTE="nickyb628"]It didn't have that corny comic book feel to it, like the Spiderman movies do, so I thought it was better in that regard. I loved the darkness of the Joker obviously, but the movie seemed a bit lame overall to me.NanakiNebula

Could you explain why?

Batman didn't seem convincing? That voiceover and just the scenes he was in seemed lame. His fighting wasn't all that cool, I don't know it's hard for me to put my finger on it.

NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NanakiNebula

dsan224, I agree that TDK doesn't stick to the usual script with your average happy ending. I l-o-v-e the fact that at the end, Bruce tells Commissioner Gordon that he is "whatever Gotham needs him to be." That truly embodies the character.

Cyber-Shadow, give it another watch. It's a quality film. Try teaching yourself to see past the appeal of glitzy fight scenes; you'll be able to do it, since you liked TDK.

nickyb628, hmm, you didn't really tell me much, lol. But I thought Batman's fight scenes were great because they weren't overdone. He just uses traditional fight techniques and muay thai to battle foes; it is actually much more realistic this way. The voiceover is indeed a bit of a distraction, but it's a minor gripe, no?

nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nickyb628

dsan224, I agree that TDK doesn't stick to the usual script with your average happy ending. I l-o-v-e the fact that at the end, Bruce tells Commissioner Gordon that he is "whatever Gotham needs him to be." That truly embodies the character.

Cyber-Shadow, give it another watch. It's a quality film. Try teaching yourself to see past the appeal of glitzy fight scenes; you'll be able to do it, since you liked TDK.

nickyb628, hmm, you didn't really tell me much, lol. But I thought Batman's fight scenes were great because they weren't overdone. He just uses traditional fight techniques and muay thai to battle foes; it is actually much more realistic this way. The voiceover is indeed a bit of a distraction, but it's a minor gripe, no?

NanakiNebula

Yeah it is a minor gripe, that's true. The fighting scenes were indeed more realistic, but I think it was the fact that the Joker took over the whole movie which made everything else pale in comparison. Does that make sense?

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 super_mario_128

Yeah it is a minor gripe, that's true. The fighting scenes were indeed more realistic, but I think it was the fact that the Joker took over the whole movie which made everything else pale in comparison. Does that make sense?

nickyb628

Makes sense to me. The Joker stole the show and any scene without him seemed a little dull. The score was incredible aswell; it really built up the tension, especially during the fund-raiser and memorial scene in the public square.

NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NanakiNebula
[QUOTE="NanakiNebula"]

nickyb628

I have an idea of what you mean, at the least. I thought Joker's massive shadow over the film did it wonders, though, particularly because Ledger's performance was stellar. He really put the anchor in the film, giving it the weight to last.

Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Trelaf_TheWise
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
Yes it is, but that's not saying much. Overall The Dark knight is still limited to the rules of a (comic) superhero universe, thats why the realism still isn't as high as batman fanboys would lead you to believe. But still, it's a good movie in it's own right, I gave it a 7/10.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Let me just whip out the device I have built that objectively measures "best-ness" of movies
sxdx89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sxdx89
Member since 2003 • 3009 Posts
It was a good movie, but not the best superhero film i think. For me Spider-man 2 will always be the best.
NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NanakiNebula

Trelaf_TheWise, some fans will indeed impress on people the thought that there is a degree of realism achieved in this film that is not really there. Given that this is a film centered on a CEO playboy by day who fights crime as a batsuit-wearing vigilante by night, it has to be understood that a high degree of realism is achieved within the confines of its comic realm. It's managed it better than any film before it, and in that, it derives its credibility.

xaos, the point of the thread is to discuss the film. Objectivity is not even expected. Subjective views are welcome because, obviously, they add to the discussion.

dsan224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dsan224

my dark knight topic was closed :( so now i'll be here! the topic i made was more comedic and this one is more serious. i just have to say this...

why so serious??

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Yeah dsan i saw lol for pretty poor reasons aswell.. dont see any spoiler tags here either.
NanakiNebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NanakiNebula

Yeah dsan i saw lol for pretty poor reasons aswell.. dont see any spoiler tags here either.Strider_91

The film's been out for two weeks now.

dsan224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dsan224

Yeah dsan i saw lol for pretty poor reasons aswell.. dont see any spoiler tags here either.Strider_91

yeah, i don't really know why it was closed its not like there was cursing or misconduct. it was just a change of topic from avatars to the movie, good clean discussion

Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Trelaf_TheWise
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

Trelaf_TheWise, some fans will indeed impress on people the thought that there is a degree of realism achieved in this film that is not really there. Given that this is a film centered on a CEO playboy by day who fights crime as a batsuit-wearing vigilante by night, it has to be understood that a high degree of realism is achieved within the confines of its comic realm. It's managed it better than any film before it, and in that, it derives its credibility.

xaos, the point of the thread is to discuss the film. Objectivity is not even expected. Subjective views are welcome because, obviously, they add to the discussion.

NanakiNebula

Yes I agree, but my point is: Thats not saying much. There is not one superhero movie in which the universe seamed credible enough to make me think the events could actually happen(the superheroes and superpowers not withstanding of course). The Dark Knight achieves more in this department than the usual superhero movies, but IMO still not enough to set itself apart from the usual crap and into a position where it isn't suitable to identify it as a "superhero movie". Most fanboys believe that IS the case, but I'm glad you're not one of them and see the movie for what it is.