Is the Count from Sesame Street supposed to be a Jew?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Many years ago when I was a kid, I didn't really think anything of it at all, but recently I saw a clip from Sesame Street featuring the Count, and I realized that he's actually a Jewish stereotype. I realized his accent is does not actually resemble Dracula's "Translvanian accent" made infamous by Bela Lugosi, but has a lot more in common with a stereotypical yiddish accent. Also, when you look at his facial features, he looks very much like a racist character of a Jewish man, especially with his nose (and arguably, his beard). There's also his obsession with counting, but I guess the Jim Henson's writers had the self control to never show him counting pennies or money. And lastly, there's the "song of the count," which is clearly styled after traditional Jewish music.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3FL99ESjnZ

So, what do you think? Do you think that the Count was merely a Jewish muppeteer expressing his heritage in an amusing way, or was he an anti-semetic manifestation of someone's personal bias? Or am I just crazy, and no-one else thinks he's supposed to be Jewish? Please try to keep this conversation mature (read: no Jew-bashing, or else).

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
Interesting theory. Right up there with Bert and Ernie being gay and the Snuffulufugus(sp) being high as a kite all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if any of these were the case. That's just what makes Sesame Street so awesome.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I think he's just supposed to be an Eastern European.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
chappelle thought he was a pimp
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Timstuff
I think he's just supposed to be an Eastern European.Cherokee_Jack
A lot of Jews come from Eastern Europe.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#6 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]I think he's just supposed to be an Eastern European.Timstuff
A lot of Jews come from Eastern Europe.

Yes, but I'm saying it isn't specifically a Jewish stereotype.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Actually holy crap now that you mention it he is very much like a stereotypical jew. *mind blown*
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Interesting theory. Right up there with Bert and Ernie being gay and the Snuffulufugus(sp) being high as a kite all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if any of these were the case. That's just what makes Sesame Street so awesome.Sajedene
Well...it was created in the 60's I would not be surprised either
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts
I still believe TinkieWinkie is gay
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
He's a vampire turned jew.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Timstuff

He's a vampire turned jew. CleanPlayer

Or is he a Jew turned vampire? Whichever it is, I'm pretty sure that he's violating at least one Levitical law:

Leviticus 3:17: 'This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.'

But hey, it's not really his fault. He's a Jewish vampire with friggin' OCD! He's got enough to worry about as it is. :P

jasperrussell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 jasperrussell
Member since 2005 • 1960 Posts

I think you're projecting.

Projection: Projection is one of the defense mechanisms identified by Freud and still acknowledged today. According to Freud, projection is when someone is threatened by or afraid of their own impulses so they attribute these impulses to someone else. 

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Timstuff

Projection: Projection is one of the defense mechanisms identified by Freud and still acknowledged today. According to Freud, projection is when someone is threatened by or afraid of their own impulses so they attribute these impulses to someone else. 

jasperrussell

So, would that mean that I'm Jewish, or that I'm antisemetic? :|

Psychology students... I was there once. :roll:

jasperrussell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasperrussell
[QUOTE="jasperrussell"]

Timstuff

I'm not a psychology student, but I think your bringing your own agenda to the plate a bit thinking the count is a jew characature. he's meant to be a vampire characature. every muppet has a big nose. he counts not because he's a jew counting his money, he counts because it's a play on words for count dracula. Though of late his name seems to of become Count von Count to remove him from the dracula bit. Maybe if he was Count Goldstein or Count felinsky??????
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
Yup, I can certainly see the resemblance too :o
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Timstuff

[QUOTE="Timstuff"][QUOTE="jasperrussell"]

jasperrussell

I'm not a psychology student, but I think your bringing your own agenda to the plate a bit thinking the count is a jew characature. he's meant to be a vampire characature. every muppet has a big nose. he counts not because he's a jew counting his money, he counts because it's a play on words for count dracula. Though of late his name seems to of become Count von Count to remove him from the dracula bit. Maybe if he was Count Goldstein or Count felinsky??????

It's not just a matter of his nose being big, though. All muppets have big noses, but I can't think of any other muppets who have a "hook" shaped nose, which is commonly associated with racial caricatures of Jews. The Count is most certainly a caricature of a vampire, on the surface at least, but I think there's enough evidence to suggest that it's actually a disguise for him being a Jewish caricature.

I don't think that it's really a question about whether or not the Count is meant to be a caricature of Jewish culture, because I've seen all the evidence I need. What I am curious about, is whether he was made that way by Jewish muppeteers as self-satire (which Jewish people are well known for), or if it was racist muppeteers discretely venting their views.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

He's supposed to be a vampire.

jasperrussell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jasperrussell

[QUOTE="jasperrussell"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]

Timstuff

It's not just a matter of his nose being big, though. All muppets have big noses, but I can't think of any other muppets who have a "hook" shaped nose, which is commonly associated with racial caricatures of Jews. The Count is most certainly a caricature of a vampire, on the surface at least, but I think there's enough evidence to suggest that it's actually a disguise for him being a Jewish caricature.

I don't think that it's really a question about whether or not the Count is meant to be a caricature of Jewish culture, because I've seen all the evidence I need. What I am curious about, is whether he was made that way by Jewish muppeteers as self-satire (which Jewish people are well known for), or if it was racist muppeteers discretely venting their views.

I couldn't work out how to spell caricature! your original question was whether or not it to be true, but I guess you had already decided. I'll believe it if I could find some other reference to it on the internet, but all I found was this thread and your own youtube comment. But you've planted the seed into my mind now and I'm considering the possibility. though at the moment I think your still reading into it too much.
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dark-Sithious
Member since 2008 • 3914 Posts

I think you are over analyzing, count as a jewish reference? Come on, he is Count Dracula.

Also I think he sounds like a Dracula stereotype, the kind of stereotype from Romania Transylvania. Just my 2 cents

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Timstuff

I think you are over analyzing, count as a jewish reference? Come on, he is Count Dracula.

Also I think he sounds like a Dracula stereotype, the kind of stereotype from Romania Transylvania. Just my 2 cents

Dark-Sithious
Actually, his official name is Count Von Count. He's a parody of Dracula, not Dracula himself.
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dark-Sithious
Member since 2008 • 3914 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark-Sithious"]

Timstuff

Actually, his official name is Count Von Count. He's a parody of Dracula, not Dracula himself.

Well, either way, my point still stands.

Still, the music sounds Jewish

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Nah, just horny

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Nah, just horny

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM

bean-with-bacon

That actually made me laugh. XD

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Muppets was better.

Avatar image for Scott_Malkinson
Scott_Malkinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Scott_Malkinson
Member since 2008 • 2604 Posts
I think some people are trying to read into these characters too much. They're just characters.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Timstuff
I think some people are trying to read into these characters too much. They're just characters.Scott_Malkinson
Yes, but Sesame Street has always been well known for the fact that it uses subliminal messaging as a learning tool, which is why it is effective as edutainment (and the source of a lot of controversy, at times). The characters on the show may be made for children, but they were created by adults who are obviously going to put some of themselves and their world views into them.
TheBeast789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheBeast789
Member since 2008 • 1414 Posts
Is it just me or was that video really scary....
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Timstuff
Is it just me or was that video really scary....TheBeast789
It's not as bad as this one. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM
TheOddQuantum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheOddQuantum
Member since 2008 • 2472 Posts
Wow now that you mention it...
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
doesn't sound like Watto to me.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Timstuff
doesn't sound like Watto to me.Hewkii
I found Watto to be especially odd, because George Lucas is BFFs with Steven Spielberg who is himself Jewish.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
I don't know, but he certainly has a potty-mouth
R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
I think of it as just a mere cariacture, not for racist purposes. If they wanted him to be racist, they could have done much worse with his character. The count likes to count, nothing wrong with that. Is he seen as greedy or any other bad traits?
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
I thought he sounded Jewish...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 48361157
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
According to folklore, one can throw salt to protect against vampires. This is because vampires are said to have the compulsion to count every single grain of salt therefore giving you ample time to escape. I believe this is where they idea originated along with the name "count" being play-on word.