Is Shawshank Redemption best movie of all time ?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts
Not the best but it is a good one.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'd say so. It's an absolutely great movie. 

Vari3ty
I'd say so too. Why not? If to pick one, it's a great choice. It's a f*cking good movie. In my eyes it easily beats many of the movies otherwise mentioned: Blade Runner (would've been more interesting if it wasn't blatantly stated Deckard is a replicant), 2001: A Space Odyssey (popular with hippie 60's acid-trippers, film is rut with pretentious pacing), The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (very Cartoonish war chapter dragged the movie down near the end), The Godfather pt 2 (boring lol) The Shawshank Redemption was completely interesting for me from start to finish and didn't once get any grimace on my behalf.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Blade Runner (would've been more interesting if it wasn't blatantly stated Deckard is a replicant)KHAndAnime
Isn't that only in the director's cut?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]I hope you don't think 2001: a Space Odyssey best movie of all time :PCongressManStan

It's easily in the top 10.

No way. Absolutely no way. The ending was so open ended and there was nothing unique about the plot from today's standards.

Wtf is this?
Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
[QUOTE="CongressManStan"][QUOTE="m0zart"]

themajormayor
No way. Absolutely no way. The ending was so open ended and there was nothing unique about the plot from today's standards.

Wtf is this?

That sounds almost as bad as that thread you once made.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Aljosa23

It's a great film: great for its genre, and great outside of that. But it is not the best film ever made. Too many films exist that are more relevant and better constructed.

200+ post thread incoming

rofl. Lai gonna defend :lol:

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 themajormayor
[QUOTE="Brutal_Elitegs"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="CongressManStan"] No way. Absolutely no way. The ending was so open ended and there was nothing unique about the plot from today's standards.

Wtf is this?

That sounds almost as bad as that thread you once made.

Which one?
Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Brutal_Elitegs

http://gamespot.com/forums/topic/29149507/stanley-kubrick-is-the-most-overrated-director-of-all-time.-spoilers?page=0.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
lmao
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 themajormayor

http://gamespot.com/forums/topic/29149507/stanley-kubrick-is-the-most-overrated-director-of-all-time.-spoilers?page=0.

Brutal_Elitegs
That's not me. That's my alt.
Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Brutal_Elitegs

My mistake. Carry on.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Also the Orcs aren't really altruistic under Rand's ideas anyway since they don't do thing for the good of others they do what they do because destruction is literally the only thing they're capable of. But I'm not sure how much that is really touched on so perhaps he just doesn't understand that part about Orcs. Ace6301

I am not suggesting that the Orcs were altruistic (though there is some hint of that at least from Rand's perspective, simply due to the fact that the live and operate in a worker-bee sort of colony and submit themselves to a structure that requires them to be treated as meaningless brute force).

I was stating that Frodo giving up everything for the Orcs would have been an act of unquestionable altruism from Rand's perspective. In the same vein, she was asked once why she would spend any money to save her husband if her husband was taken ill and the money would be a considerable sacrifice. She said her husband is a high value in her life, and so within certain boundaries of reason, giving the money to save him is an act that benefits her as much as him. She values him more than the money and what it buys. However, she pointed out that if someone expected her to let her own husband die so she could save her neighbor's husband with that same money, that's altruism.

Anyway my purpose isn't to defend Rand. I am relatively sure Tolkien didn't intend even an once of Rand's definitions or values to reflect in his book, which is more of a tale about his own life and feelings after the effects of the wars he experienced took away part of his own ability to enjoy the pleasures of life.

I know you weren't saying the orcs are altruists, that was Lai. Rand's ideas just really aren't worth applying to things other than her books to me which is why I ignored the Frodo comment. They really are largely ideas that require a world set around them to function and without that they generally just come off as ridiculous misconceptions about human nature and actions. Side comment on how it's kind of creepy to assign a value to human lives.

So you would rather human lives be without value? That is absurd. And as M0zart has expertly demonstrated, the principles of Objectivism are applicable to many things other than Ayn Rand's books, such as Lord of the Rings.
WinsteadVolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 WinsteadVolve
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

don't make me punch the screen. The best film of all time is sat at fourth on IMDb, you know the name, Shawshank Redemption depresses me because it makes me lose faith in humanity.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
no
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

I'd say so. It's an absolutely great movie. 

KHAndAnime

I'd say so too. Why not? If to pick one, it's a great choice. It's a f*cking good movie. In my eyes it easily beats many of the movies otherwise mentioned: Blade Runner (would've been more interesting if it wasn't blatantly stated Deckard is a replicant), 2001: A Space Odyssey (popular with hippie 60's acid-trippers, film is rut with pretentious pacing), The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (very Cartoonish war chapter dragged the movie down near the end), The Godfather pt 2 (boring lol) The Shawshank Redemption was completely interesting for me from start to finish and didn't once get any grimace on my behalf.

LOL what godawful analysis. You automatically lose any credibility when you describe stuff with "pretentious".

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#66 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]I hope you don't think 2001: a Space Odyssey best movie of all time :PCongressManStan

Yes way. Absolutely yes way.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#67 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Definitely not the best but in my top 20.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="m0zart"]

I am not suggesting that the Orcs were altruistic (though there is some hint of that at least from Rand's perspective, simply due to the fact that the live and operate in a worker-bee sort of colony and submit themselves to a structure that requires them to be treated as meaningless brute force).

I was stating that Frodo giving up everything for the Orcs would have been an act of unquestionable altruism from Rand's perspective. In the same vein, she was asked once why she would spend any money to save her husband if her husband was taken ill and the money would be a considerable sacrifice. She said her husband is a high value in her life, and so within certain boundaries of reason, giving the money to save him is an act that benefits her as much as him. She values him more than the money and what it buys. However, she pointed out that if someone expected her to let her own husband die so she could save her neighbor's husband with that same money, that's altruism.

Anyway my purpose isn't to defend Rand. I am relatively sure Tolkien didn't intend even an once of Rand's definitions or values to reflect in his book, which is more of a tale about his own life and feelings after the effects of the wars he experienced took away part of his own ability to enjoy the pleasures of life.

Laihendi
I know you weren't saying the orcs are altruists, that was Lai. Rand's ideas just really aren't worth applying to things other than her books to me which is why I ignored the Frodo comment. They really are largely ideas that require a world set around them to function and without that they generally just come off as ridiculous misconceptions about human nature and actions. Side comment on how it's kind of creepy to assign a value to human lives.

So you would rather human lives be without value? That is absurd. And as M0zart has expertly demonstrated, the principles of Objectivism are applicable to many things other than Ayn Rand's books, such as Lord of the Rings.

I would rather humans be seen as above being viewed as something to be given value. The principles of objectivism needed a long tirade to even apply to her own creations let alone a book by a guy who based pretty much everything around judeo-Christian ideas of good and evil and had a very classical good = altruistic heroes and bad = greedy villains set up. Also Mozart didn't apply objectivism to anything in the books, he made up a scenario.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#69 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
it's right up there, i'd say.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
To some people it might be, to others it might not be. Opinions, people, opinions...
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
indeed, not the best of movie.......................................
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
To some people it might be, to others it might not be. Opinions, people, opinions...PernicioEnigma
wow, you know I never thought about it like this sometimes people come along and really put stuff in perspective
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#73 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Yes... yes it is.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Great, but not the best IMO.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

not for me.

i mean, it's a great movie but the best movie of all time is a boy and his dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAPLJRKyJLk

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Laihendi
Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts
I love that movie, but I hold the belief that there is no such thing as a "best ever" for anything. Everyone is going to have a different answer.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#78 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Laihendi

It's a great film: great for its genre, and great outside of that. But it is not the best film ever made. Too many films exist that are more relevant and better constructed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.m0zart

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178878 Posts
I love that movie, but I hold the belief that there is no such thing as a "best ever" for anything. Everyone is going to have a different answer.metroidprime55
I can agree with that though in the context of best vis a vis favorite....I can't really pick one movie.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic  Online

But...but ...but Elijah Wood.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Laihendi
The characters showed great instances of altruism.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#83 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.kuraimen

They banded together to defeat the communist dictator Sauron.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="m0zart"]

m0zart

Very few will be from me. I've seen the movie too many times to count. It's unlikely that something someone says will change my opinion given that, and I won't waste my breath trying to convince others in the opposite position on its merits but the same position on their certainty. I did feel the need to explicitly state my disagreement though.

True that. I agree with your opinion on it and would have said the same thing but you know, Laihendi.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#85 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
I found the Green Mile to be a bit better.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Laihendi

I respect you, but you are wrong. Return of the King is about the struggle and ultimate triumph of good against evil. It is a film about the glory of man. Nothing can be more relevant to man's life on this Earth than that.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 KHAndAnime
I found the Green Mile to be a bit better.JasonDarksavior
Green Mile was poop in comparison.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Laihendi

I respect you, but you are wrong. Return of the King is about the struggle and ultimate triumph of good against evil. It is a film about the glory of man. Nothing can be more relevant to man's life on this Earth than that.

You must be a virgin....>__>
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
One of the best, but not the best.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]Return of the King is easily the best film ever made.Laihendi

What you are implying is absurd. The heroes of LOTR acted out of rational self-interest. It is a story about personal responsibility. Frodo took the responsibility of destroying the ring to save the Shire. He saved the Shire out of his love for it, not out of someone else's love. He was by no means an altruist. The altruists in LOTR are the orc slaves who lived for the sake of Sauron, their master, rather than for the sake of finding happiness in life on this Earth.

Rational self-interest doesn't involve sacrificing yourself for the good of others which is a major theme in LoTR. There isn't a lot of self interest in being dead. Frodo even says that the journey broke him, made him incapable of enjoying the world because of the things he had seen and that ultimately what he had done was for the good of others and not himself. Sam is completely altruistic, living only for the benefit of others throughout the entire story until the very end once his journey was over which he never expected to live to see anyway. Really you could say Sauron is the definition of pride, greed and self love. Given that Tolkien was very much a Christian man it's pretty obvious to see why altruism is shown to be the most heroic trait in the characters throughout the story while greed is shown to drive men to do evil.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#91 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]I found the Green Mile to be a bit better.KHAndAnime

Each to their own I guess.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]I found the Green Mile to be a bit better.JasonDarksavior

Each to their own I guess.

Morgan Freeman is magical without having to actually use magic
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#93 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It's an amazing movie, but not the best of all time. I don't have a best movie of all time, but Jurassic Park definitely is up there.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#94 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="PernicioEnigma"]To some people it might be, to others it might not be. Opinions, people, opinions...WolfattheDoor34
wow, you know I never thought about it like this sometimes people come along and really put stuff in perspective

You may be sarcastic, but it's surprising how many douches will come here and argue if someone think a different movie is better.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#95 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44689 Posts
it's a great movie, never get tired of watching it
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17695 Posts
A great movie, not my favorite, but it has one of the better endings of many films I've seen.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Not for me it ain't.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#98 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It's certainly up there. It would definitely be somewhere in my Top 10.

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Well everyone's pretty much going to say that their own favorite movie is also the best movie ever made, but I think those are two different questions. I'd say my favorite movie(s) is the Lord Of The Ring trilogy, but the best movie ever is probably The Godfather. Shawshank is amazing though, and definitly worthy of people calling it the best.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#100 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

No, that's Sucker Punch.